Skip to content

Hankins signs elsewhere

The Browns Board
11 4 336
  • Jonathan Hankins, formerly with the Giants, signs with the Colts. I had thought/hoped that perhaps the Browns would pursue him. Still young at age 26. Filled a need, perhaps.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/13/14619568/johnathan-hankins-signs-nfl-free-agency-2017

  • Jonathan Hankins, formerly with the Giants, signs with the Colts. I had thought/hoped that perhaps the Browns would pursue him. Still young at age 26. Filled a need, perhaps.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/13/14619568/johnathan-hankins-signs-nfl-free-agency-2017

    @the-gipper said:

    Jonathan Hankins, formerly with the Giants, signs with the Colts. I had thought/hoped that perhaps the Browns would pursue him. Still young at age 26. Filled a need, perhaps.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/13/14619568/johnathan-hankins-signs-nfl-free-agency-2017

    Pffft....Browns dont pursue anyone......in fact, players that look to other teams seem to get their offers pulled......ask Pryor and Schwartz....

  • @the-gipper said:

    Jonathan Hankins, formerly with the Giants, signs with the Colts. I had thought/hoped that perhaps the Browns would pursue him. Still young at age 26. Filled a need, perhaps.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/13/14619568/johnathan-hankins-signs-nfl-free-agency-2017

    Pffft....Browns dont pursue anyone......in fact, players that look to other teams seem to get their offers pulled......ask Pryor and Schwartz....

    @mudfly said:

    Pffft....Browns dont pursue anyone......in fact, players that look to other teams seem to get their offers pulled......ask Pryor and Schwartz....

    Well, they pursued Tretter and Zeitler and Martin etc. and got them.

    I guess we have to wonder what the Browns are thinking with FA and all the cap space they have.

    We know that they were thinking "we have to improve our OL." And that's great.

    But the DB area was/is in worse shape, and they did nothing there.

    Are they relying on what is on this roster? On getting a few good men in the draft? What?

    It seems that is now what they HAVE to do, as really there are no more decent FAs out there really that could help this defense much. A bunch of old....or seriously injured, or drug addled guys.

  • @mudfly said:

    Pffft....Browns dont pursue anyone......in fact, players that look to other teams seem to get their offers pulled......ask Pryor and Schwartz....

    Well, they pursued Tretter and Zeitler and Martin etc. and got them.

    I guess we have to wonder what the Browns are thinking with FA and all the cap space they have.

    We know that they were thinking "we have to improve our OL." And that's great.

    But the DB area was/is in worse shape, and they did nothing there.

    Are they relying on what is on this roster? On getting a few good men in the draft? What?

    It seems that is now what they HAVE to do, as really there are no more decent FAs out there really that could help this defense much. A bunch of old....or seriously injured, or drug addled guys.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, they pursued Tretter and Zeitler and Martin etc. and got them.

    I guess we have to wonder what the Browns are thinking with FA and all the cap space they have.

    We know that they were thinking "we have to improve our OL." And that's great.

    But the DB area was/is in worse shape, and they did nothing there.

    Are they relying on what is on this roster? On getting a few good men in the draft? What?

    They did the same last year with OL....correct?....and our OL sucked.....

    And they let 4 out of 5 of our best DB's go.....correct?....and now DB is our greatest need.....

    And they did the same with our LB's.....correct?....and we have no one outside(still).....

    Listen ......why spend on FA's when we can buy draft picks for only $16m???......that 2nd rounder(next year) is gonna tear some shit up......

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, they pursued Tretter and Zeitler and Martin etc. and got them.

    I guess we have to wonder what the Browns are thinking with FA and all the cap space they have.

    We know that they were thinking "we have to improve our OL." And that's great.

    But the DB area was/is in worse shape, and they did nothing there.

    Are they relying on what is on this roster? On getting a few good men in the draft? What?

    They did the same last year with OL....correct?....and our OL sucked.....

    And they let 4 out of 5 of our best DB's go.....correct?....and now DB is our greatest need.....

    And they did the same with our LB's.....correct?....and we have no one outside(still).....

    Listen ......why spend on FA's when we can buy draft picks for only $16m???......that 2nd rounder(next year) is gonna tear some shit up......

    @mudfly said:

    They did the same last year with OL....correct?....and our OL sucked.....

    You talking about Schwartz and Mack? I think our FO may have learned from that debacle

    And they let 4 out of 5 of our best DB's go.....correct?....and now DB is our greatest need.....

    I guess you need to relate who you are talking about. Tashaun is the only one I can think of.

    And they did the same with our LB's.....correct?....and we have no one outside(still).....

    Again, maybe I am having a senior moment...who were these good OLBs that the Browns let loose? Mingo?

    I am not trying to bust your nuts here, I am just not coming up with these names.

    Listen ......why spend on FA's when we can buy draft picks for only $16m???......that 2nd rounder(next year) is gonna tear some shit up......

    But...hey....we may also have our starting QB with that trade. Nothing decided there yet, Fair to say?

  • @mudfly said:

    They did the same last year with OL....correct?....and our OL sucked.....

    You talking about Schwartz and Mack? I think our FO may have learned from that debacle

    And they let 4 out of 5 of our best DB's go.....correct?....and now DB is our greatest need.....

    I guess you need to relate who you are talking about. Tashaun is the only one I can think of.

    And they did the same with our LB's.....correct?....and we have no one outside(still).....

    Again, maybe I am having a senior moment...who were these good OLBs that the Browns let loose? Mingo?

    I am not trying to bust your nuts here, I am just not coming up with these names.

    Listen ......why spend on FA's when we can buy draft picks for only $16m???......that 2nd rounder(next year) is gonna tear some shit up......

    But...hey....we may also have our starting QB with that trade. Nothing decided there yet, Fair to say?

    @the-gipper said:

    @mudfly said:

    They did the same last year with OL....correct?....and our OL sucked.....

    You talking about Schwartz and Mack? I think our FO may have learned from that debacle

    Not so much letting them go....but doing nothing in FA to replace them.....when they had the money and the players were available and they were planning on resurrecting RGIII and drafting a rookie QB....

    Very, very very poor planning from a team trying to get 2 new QB's on the road to success////....AND...btw...., EXACTLY what I(and many others) predicted happened....the QB's got their heads pounded in and bodies broken and wqe went through like 6 of them.....EXACTLY what we said would happen/////

    And they let 4 out of 5 of our best DB's go.....correct?....and now DB is our greatest need.....

    I guess you need to relate who you are talking about. Tashaun is the only one I can think of.

    Gipson, Whitner, Williams & Williams all gone......(3 of them had pro-bowl credentials).....and, no matter what folks are gonna say, they were better than the group we have now.....much.....

    And they did the same with our LB's.....correct?....and we have no one outside(still).....

    Again, maybe I am having a senior moment...who were these good OLBs that the Browns let loose? Mingo?

    I am not trying to bust your nuts here, I am just not coming up with these names.

    Where did I say we let good ones go?....the convo is FA and what we have or havent done....correct?

    And we let 3 or 4 LB's go and got zero back in FA.....Instead they gave us 2 practice squad(udfas) and a Schobert.....

    So...yes, we had shit LB's...and still do...

    So, in summary......OL lost 2 Pro-bowl quality players and the FO did zero in FA to address that(even tho we signed a injury prone QB).....Then we let both our safeties and a starting CB go and replaced them with back ups......Then we let all our LB's go and signed no one......

    Yep...that about sums it up....

    Oh....and 1 year later.....we signed those 2 OL that we should have signed last year.....and traded for a LB late mid season......

    Still no DB's....both those new QB's got pounded....and our OLB's still bite.........

    Listen ......why spend on FA's when we can buy draft picks for only $16m???......that 2nd rounder(next year) is gonna tear some shit up......

    But...hey....we may also have our starting QB with that trade. Nothing decided there yet, Fair to say?

    No...not really.....that is a wish, but not a likely outcome......and, as a risk, Id say a poor choice and one that few professional FO's would take....

  • Gipson, Whitner, Williams & Williams all gone......(3 of them had pro-bowl credentials).....and, no matter what folks are gonna say, they were better than the group we have now.....much.....



    OK, Donte and K'waun slipped my mind. But, the other Williams? Tramon? I thought he was on our roster last year?




    Where did I say we let good ones go?....the convo is FA and what we have or havent done....correctly.



    OK, I though when you said "they did the same with our OLBs I thought you meant that they let several walk.:


    But, no, yea, I don't recall any good OLB's walking.


    Mingo is the only guy I couldl recall.



    But, bottom line is I think we both agree that they did nothing in the FA market to address the OLB or DB situation....except, of course keep Collins...which is a big move certainly. I just thought more could be done.

  • Nice payday for Hankins... ~$30mm over three years with ~$14mm guaranteed. One of the few FA holdouts who really cashed...

  • Gipson, Whitner, Williams & Williams all gone......(3 of them had pro-bowl credentials).....and, no matter what folks are gonna say, they were better than the group we have now.....much.....



    OK, Donte and K'waun slipped my mind. But, the other Williams? Tramon? I thought he was on our roster last year?




    Where did I say we let good ones go?....the convo is FA and what we have or havent done....correctly.



    OK, I though when you said "they did the same with our OLBs I thought you meant that they let several walk.:


    But, no, yea, I don't recall any good OLB's walking.


    Mingo is the only guy I couldl recall.



    But, bottom line is I think we both agree that they did nothing in the FA market to address the OLB or DB situation....except, of course keep Collins...which is a big move certainly. I just thought more could be done.

    @the-gipper said:

    I just thought more could be done.

    Agree....100%.....a LOT more.....

  • If only our FO has known that this rare, unifying, BrownsBoard opportunity was before them, I am sure they would have "done more"...

    I'm gonna guess that pink font would have been superfluous...

  • To be fair, the Colts needed DL even more than the Browns. And Hankins had a torn pec last year so I'm not sure how the brain trust would analyze his underwhelming play last season.

    I'd say the bigger question mark would be why we didn't swoop in on Zach Brown who moved from Buffalo to Washington on a 1yr deal worth just 2.3M... for a 2012 second-round pick. I'd take him over both Schobert and Davis..