Skip to content

Barnidge cut

The Browns Board
68 33 2.4k
  • No surprise here.. I saw this coming.. but I'm surprised they didnt bring him back to camp...

  • Thought Telfer might be the one to go, but not totally shocked except that Barn apparently had zero trade value. I mean not even a future 6th?

    Good luck, Gary... thanks for 2015...

  • Jeez he's not Gronkowski. Still rebuilding, relax

    @londonbrown said:

    Jeez he's not Gronkowski. Still rebuilding, relax

    We've been 'still rebuilding for almost 20 years.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Jeez he's not Gronkowski. Still rebuilding, relax

    Know what? I'm tired of this crap. He's not Gronk, But at a projected $3.8 million, he wasn't getting paid like him either. Same deal as Pryor. Moneyball to the extreme.

    And to those who haven't figured out the direction this team is headed. Let me give you what I remember of Sashi's quote. "We still have a lot of holes to fill". Translation: "were going to suck (again) for Sam (Darnold). Our goal this year is to improve- from 1-15 to 3-13. This will be another year where Haslam is going to be questioning his decision if he put the right guys in place. Sashi must be 100% confident he's got 5 years to get the Browns in order, or he wouldn't be pushing picks into 2018. London- I'm glad I didn't totally commit to the England trip, because I'm not flying over there and spend big bucks, only to watch the Browns get embarrassed.

    Hey I like that one. "Suck for Sam". Something I can get behind.

    @hoorta said:

    Know what? I'm tired of this crap. He's not Gronk, But at a projected $3.8 million, he wasn't getting paid like him either. Same deal as Pryor. Moneyball to the extreme.

    And to those who haven't figured out the direction this team is headed. Let me give you what I remember of Sashi's quote. "We still have a lot of holes to fill". Translation: "were going to suck (again) for Sam (Darnold). Our goal this year is to improve- from 1-15 to 3-13. This will be another year where Haslam is going to be questioning his decision if he put the right guys in place. Sashi must be 100% confident he's got 5 years to get the Browns in order, or he wouldn't be pushing picks into 2018. London- I'm glad I didn't totally commit to the England trip, because I'm not flying over there and spend big bucks, only to watch the Browns get embarrassed.

    Hey I like that one. "Suck for Sam". Something I can get behind.

    Agree. This will be one long losing suckfest of a season.

  • I don't understand the rush to cut Barnidge. I think its obvious his time was winding down, but I probably would have kept him through this season to give me an experienced guy who can help mentor the other guys and phase him out. I don't see the advantage to cutting him.

  • This smacks of the old: "he's not one of our guys" bullshit. Is every player that was not selected specifically by this front office get show the door because they were not "our guy".

    I agree, its like: he is to be all of 32 this year, so lets get rid of him because he is that old.

    What can DeValve do that Barnidge can't? Other than be a choice of this front office?

  • I don't understand the rush to cut Barnidge. I think its obvious his time was winding down, but I probably would have kept him through this season to give me an experienced guy who can help mentor the other guys and phase him out. I don't see the advantage to cutting him.

    @runyon27 said:

    I don't understand the rush to cut Barnidge. I think its obvious his time was winding down, but I probably would have kept him through this season to give me an experienced guy who can help mentor the other guys and phase him out. I don't see the advantage to cutting him.

    It's simple really-a 32 year old TE wasn't worth playing over the young TE core we have to play for the future on a rebuilding team. He wasn't going to be on the team next year so keeping a guy on a maybe 4-5 win team getting reps over future players isn't some wild idea. They did him a professional solid instead of dragging him along too.

    It's the NFL, it happens all the time.

  • Njoku is a Hybrid, not a typical TE, seems like they would have been on the field a lot together... Not a fan of this move at all!

  • Thought Telfer might be the one to go, but not totally shocked except that Barn apparently had zero trade value. I mean not even a future 6th?

    Good luck, Gary... thanks for 2015...

    @tour2ma said:

    Thought Telfer might be the one to go, but not totally shocked except that Barn apparently had zero trade value. I mean not even a future 6th?

    Good luck, Gary... thanks for 2015...

    Good luck don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

    ....and don't comeback as a steelrr and torch the Browns.

  • Great job Gary, it was an honor to watch you play, you made so amazing grabs for us! Thank you and best of luck!

    That said, we still only won a handful of games. I know it's not all on GB but this move opens up the TE position for DeVo and NoJok to reck the defense. They are both big and fast and can make plays. Get ready, this is gonna be fun to watch.

  • Lol yet another veteran capable of producing is shown the door.

  • They save 2.1 mil in cap space next year. Barnidge had more than 2.1 mil worth of production left imo, but what do I know?

  • Lol yet another veteran capable of producing is shown the door.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Lol yet another veteran capable of producing is shown the door.

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Lol yet another veteran capable of producing is shown the door.

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

    @londonbrown said:

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

    It was the right decision for the team and done at the right time for the player.

  • Agree...

    We might not see a TE lined up "inline" the entire season and as bad of a blocker as he was (and he was bad) Barn just can't complete with our kids as a slot receiver.

    Sad but true...

    I'll now wait for the "oh, tour, don't you remember 2015 when Barn not only led us in receiving, but also caught a TD with his butt cheeks?" replies.

  • oh, tour, don't you remember 2015 when Barn not only led us in receiving, but also caught a TD with his butt cheeks?

  • He DID catch a ball with his butt cheeks, tho

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Lol yet another veteran capable of producing is shown the door.

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

    @londonbrown said:

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

    Fine...if you think these guys will actually produce. Though, in my opinion I think they could have still used Barnidge....perhaps minimally in a mentoring capacity as well as for his possible production. But, again,he wasn't "their guy" so he was expendable.

    By the way....look for them to cut Des Bryant for the same reason...and maybe a couple of others.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

    Fine...if you think these guys will actually produce. Though, in my opinion I think they could have still used Barnidge....perhaps minimally in a mentoring capacity as well as for his possible production. But, again,he wasn't "their guy" so he was expendable.

    By the way....look for them to cut Des Bryant for the same reason...and maybe a couple of others.

    @the-gipper said:

    Fine...if you think these guys will actually produce. Though, in my opinion I think they could have still used Barnidge...

    Agreed....and one of my main complaints from last season....cutting veteran talent BEFORE knowing if you have a replacement....and instead of keeping them for depth(which we have none)....

    Im not too upset about Barny going....Njoku should be good enough....but the basic principle of how these Browns do it bugs me...

  • Just investing in players who will be here for the entire ride, Mud...

    And thanks, war, for not leaving me hanging...