Skip to content

Great inside look at our draft

The Browns Board
29 18 1.2k
  • I thought this article by Silver was a very honest look at our process. Warning it's a long read. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805453/article/the-cleveland-show-inside-look-at-how-browns-draft-unfolded

  • "After the Kansas City Chiefs traded up to 10th and selected Mahomes, the quarterback who Jackson felt had the biggest upside, that left Watson as the highest-ranked QB on Cleveland's board. Watson, in Jackson's eyes, was the passer best suited to play right away, but he was not the man he hoped the Browns would select with the 12th pick. Instead, he was looking to provide Williams with another potential star: Ohio State safety Malik Hooker. "To me, he has a chance to be another Ed Reed," Jackson would tell me later. "When I coached in Baltimore, I saw firsthand what kind of impact a great safety can have."

    Ouch.

  • That and quite a few other things mentioned make it a pretty honest inside look.

  • Why would Hue let the guy quote him by name contradicting what we did?

  • Sashi took a big chance with the trade down, but I believe Williams was perfectly fine with Peppers, one of his kind of multi-faceted type of players. And the extra #1 to boot next year is gonna impact the overall team as well. It was a good trade to make when you look at it from a non-homer perspective. Sure I know most here lean towards the OSU guys just like I do to many A&M players, but from a pure logical decision perspective, it made sense the way it turned out. And even though I wanted OJ Howard or Foster @ #12, getting Njoku plus 2 for 1 is the right decision. He will be just as good as Howard in the long run. Peppers plus another # 1 will at least equal Foster or Hooker.

  • Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

    Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

    As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

    And then this...

    Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

    "We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

    And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

    ... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

    Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

    Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

    Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

  • I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

    There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

    I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

  • I'm not much of a fan of early draft grades, but I like Dane Brugler's response when asked if any one team drafted multiple top 50 players. . .

    The #Browns had 4 w/ Garrett (1), Njoku (18), Kizer (29) and Peppers (34). And almost a fifth with Ogunjobi (56th).

  • Sky is the limit for N'joku, he fits all the metrics you want for athleticism etc and the respected film evaluators like Cossell also rave about him.

  • I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

    There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

    I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

    @roycerolls said:

    I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

    There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

    I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

    Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

    Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

    Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

  • @roycerolls said:

    I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

    There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

    I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

    Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

    Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

    Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

    @jafbf said:

    Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

    Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

    Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

    We ARE going in the right direction.

    Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

    Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

    I can't wait for this season!!!!!

    Mike

  • @jafbf said:

    Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

    Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

    Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

    We ARE going in the right direction.

    Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

    Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

    I can't wait for this season!!!!!

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    We ARE going in the right direction.

    Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

    Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

    I can't wait for this season!!!!!

    Mike

    Me too Mike. Fun times are a comin'!

  • @jafbf said:

    Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

    Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

    Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

    We ARE going in the right direction.

    Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

    Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

    I can't wait for this season!!!!!

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    We ARE going in the right direction.

    Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

    Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

    I can't wait for this season!!!!!

    Mike

    After the O'Neal disaster, followed up by yet another dose of Horton . . .

    Yea, they're going have to earn their stripes this time - lost my taste for Kool-Aide.

  • I'm not much of a fan of early draft grades, but I like Dane Brugler's response when asked if any one team drafted multiple top 50 players. . .

    The #Browns had 4 w/ Garrett (1), Njoku (18), Kizer (29) and Peppers (34). And almost a fifth with Ogunjobi (56th).

    @canton-dawg said:

    I'm not much of a fan of early draft grades, but I like Dane Brugler's response when asked if any one team drafted multiple top 50 players. . .

    The #Browns had 4 w/ Garrett (1), Njoku (18), Kizer (29) and Peppers (34). And almost a fifth with Ogunjobi (56th).

    Nearly a 6th with Caleb Brantley as well. Crushed it. Go ahead and count the kicker as well. So a nice 7 players. I'll take that all draft every draft.

  • Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

    Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

    As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

    And then this...

    Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

    "We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

    And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

    ... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

    Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

    Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

    Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

    @tour2ma said:

    And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

    ... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

    Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

    Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

    Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

    Absolutely loved this part. I'm loving Greg Williams as our DC.

  • Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

    Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

    As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

    And then this...

    Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

    "We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

    And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

    ... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

    Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

    Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

    Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

    @tour2ma said:

    Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

    Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

    As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

    And then this...

    Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

    "We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

    And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

    ... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

    Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

    Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

    Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

    There is a section with Williams as well when they met with Garrett at College station to put him though a workout. I guess Willaims tried to make him fatigue and quit, but MG just kept coming back for more. Williams just sounds like a badass coach to play for. I really hope he can mold these young guys and also tell Haden to stop being a big pussy.

  • IMO, we should've gotten more from Houston than their 'end of the 1st round' pick in 2018.

  • IMO, we should've gotten more from Houston than their 'end of the 1st round' pick in 2018.

    @orion said:

    IMO, we should've gotten more from Houston than their 'end of the 1st round' pick in 2018.

    we gave them also our comp.4th #142 which turned into Carlos Watkins..uck!

  • No denying that if you discount the Texans' 2018 1st to 2nd's value on the chart, then it was the first trade we've "lost". But...

    IF HOU's was the only offer on the table AND Peppers was the next name on our board, then we won.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Here's my mini draft day trade thread? After Garrett & Peppers.We gained Njoku in 1st from GB who picked Kevin King our top 2nd & our top 4th for Vince Biegel. In 2nd Kizer From Tenn.(not sure of trade details(gave a 4th?) In 3rd .Ogunjobi sat at our pick 65. In 4th(on top of losing Carlos Watkins?) we trade to 126 in 4th from Broncos we received CB Howard Wilson & 7th Matt Dayes. In return Broncos get our 1st 5th Jake Butt. To end 5th rd. From Jets we grabbed Roderick Johnson & the 7th rounder to get Zane Gonzalez winning with Jets grabbing Dylan Donahue & Elijah Mcguire. Ended 6th staying at pick Caleb Brantley. at my count we sat at our pick 3 times #1(Myles),#65(Ogun) ยน(Brantley) A maze ing!!

    I got lost in gumbyville... ๐Ÿ™