Myles Garrett
-
"Smack" is quite the overstatement.
-
@ghoolie said:
Garrett was a terrible, terrible waste of a #1 #1 pick.
Boasting about pounding Big Ben? I promise you, Garrett is in for a rude awakening against the Steelers. Cheap shots? Nah, but, shots that just walk right up to the borderline of being cheap shots to take a guy out? Absolutely. You can be sure that the Steelers will orchestrate double teams and high-low hits to fuck this kid up.
Will he get a sack on Ben? Maybe, but he will get the shit kicked out of him on game day. That you can bank on.
I mean what kind of circus do you have going on in your mind
-
@ghoolie said:
Garrett was a terrible, terrible waste of a #1 #1 pick.
Boasting about pounding Big Ben? I promise you, Garrett is in for a rude awakening against the Steelers. Cheap shots? Nah, but, shots that just walk right up to the borderline of being cheap shots to take a guy out? Absolutely. You can be sure that the Steelers will orchestrate double teams and high-low hits to fuck this kid up.
Will he get a sack on Ben? Maybe, but he will get the shit kicked out of him on game day. That you can bank on.
I mean what kind of circus do you have going on in your mind
-
-
@ghoolie said:
Just watch. Just watch. You fucktards have all the answers in May, then when the season starts and you get my foot up your fucking ass, then you run and hide and don't say shit.
Mark my words, the Steelers will fuck this kid up.
Or vice versa....though certainly I suspect their OL coach Mike Munchak will know how to handle a first game rookie. Contain? Probably. "Fuck up"....now just what does that mean?
-
Pretty level head on our #1's shoulders...
Browns No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett says he 'can't be a savior' for Cleveland
The top pick knows it takes a full team to win in footballby Will Brinson @WillBrinson 17h ago 2 min read
The expectations heaped on a No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft are pretty huge. If you're taken with the top pick in the draft, it's expected that you will be able to make an impact on your team and potentially turn around the fortunes of a franchise that has presumably struggled.
In Cleveland things are even more dire. The Browns have been bad for years, and they're hoping that defensive end Myles Garrett, the No. 1 choice in the 2017 NFL Draft, will spark a defense and franchise that needs playmakers.
Garrett has a message for those fans with high expectations: he is not a "savior," according to what he told NFL Network.
"It takes a culmination of all these guys coming together and just having the attitude that we're not going to lose. And that's what we're going to do. I can't be a savior," Garrett said. "But I can be the best I can be. I can give it my all and make plays and dominate my side of the field, but it takes all 11 guys with a certain thought process that we're going to go out there and we're going to win."
The good news is that Garrett's saying this for a smart reason, with the former Texas A&M standout also noting that "one person can't win games."
All of this comes around to the point that you can't just win football games with a single player, particularly a single defensive end. If one defensive player could alter how a team plays, then the Texans would have a Super Bowl victory behind J.J. Watt's performance during some of his Defensive Player of the Year seasons.
Garrett was the obvious top pick in the draft despite late rumors about the Browns chasing a quarterback. He issued a pretty aggressive warning to the Browns about the vengeance he would unleash if they decided to pass on him.
Since arriving in the NFL, he's also said that he plans on taking down Ben Roethlisberger, which Big Ben is perfectly comfortable in hearing .
So maybe it's a little surprising to hear Garrett take the non-cocky road when it comes to expectations. On the other hand, he's a smart guy, so he probably understands just how much work it's going to take for the Browns to start winning again. This is probably the wise choice on Garrett's part, even if the part about not being a savior will inevitably be taken out of context.I can't be a savior," Garrett said. "But I can be the best I can be. I can give it my all and make plays and dominate my side of the field, but it takes all 11 guys with a certain thought process that we're going to go out there and we're going to win."He's getting that out there very early in the process. And I don't blame him.
translation: "Hey! This defense sucked ass last year. I'll do the best that I can do, honest to God....but hey....."
-
@ghoolie said:
Garrett was a terrible, terrible waste of a #1 #1 pick.
But...you're probably the ONLY one in the universe that THINKS that. (even in an infinite universe)
...with the possible exception of a Chicago Bears executive.
What if San Fran would've picked him. Would it have been a terrible wast of a #1 pick for them too?
-
I think they'd have taken Trubisky.
They couldn't even wait 10 minutes for San Fran to pick, they wanted him so bad.
-
Interesting....I wonder if the Bears ever approached the Browns about a trade up for him.
then probably Thomas at 3 then hooker at 12 unless they were really greedy and wanted 3 first's in next years draft
-
@ghoolie said:
you think Garrett is going to launch our defense into Steel Curtain caliber?No. And I don't think he's gonna throw any TD passes either. I think a good QB outweighs a really good player at any other position. But I can't agree with Garrett being a wasted pick. - Is it possible that he wastes his career here? Like Joe Thomas? Because we never ever get the QB position right? The laws of physics doesn't rule it out.
He was the 'safe' pick. The one everyone thought should be picked.
After making the team a one win team, the Harvard Committee couldn't reach for a QB at #1 and fail. They got all the talking heads to say that the Browns did a good job with the draft. They needed Haslam to hear that.
Would I have faulted them if they drafted Trubisky #1? No. Because I feel the QB position is just SOooo important that if you don't have one then you can't win, so you might as well keep swinging the bat. But the media would've jumped all over the Dumb Ol' Browns for screwing up the #1 overall pick.
We drafted a big tall drink of water QB in round 2. That's a swing of the bat...of sorts. He was pretty good a season ago. Let's see if he can learn to be an NFL QB.
-
I agree with you Orion. Plus I would add that the smart guys in the FO had to have studied what makes for successful SB teams and realized you have to start with a great defense and build an offense in which you can add a QB who has a far better chance to succeed with good players to help him out from under all that pressure to be superman.
-
@ghoolie said:
Gipper,
the Steelers are the classic rock em sock em robot, bad ass football team.
NO, they are not. The Steelers rely now on their offense. They are what you always claim a team should be: completely reliant on 3 offensive skill players. These are NOT the Steelers of yesteryear...the rockem sockem team reliant on defense that they once were. If not for the Browns fucking themselves in the ass at every opportunity to lose that game last year, it was the Browns that were the "tougher team"...despite being as bad as they are. Brown, Ben, Bell......that is what the Steelers have become. This is no Joe Greene/Polamalu type team. No sir.
If you think Garrett blabbing about smashing Ben just went in one ear and out the other, then you are too casual in your understanding of football players, and testosterone infused players.
You worry too much about what players "babble". Lets see what he does.
They aren't going to let this hip-hip jitterbug Dallas Cowboy wannabe, be the star of the football game, and they sure as hell are not going to let him capture momentum for the Browns. Munchak will create traps, double teams, and strategic blocks that make borderline legal hits at his stems. Am I saying the Steelers will try to fuck his legs up? No. I am saying the Steelers will put Garrett in a position, coupled with frustration and exhaustion where the risk of injure will be more than simple football risk.
Well, to me, if the Steelers are all overly worried about Garrett...and go overboard to contain him....then I would expect the likes of Ogbah/Nassib/Shelton to step up and cover for him. If Garrett's "babble" distracts them, then that is good for the Browns defense as a whole.
However, as we have noted, the best thing about the Steelers may be their OL coach. So I don't think he will get distracted.
Football is played differently by teams like the Steelers and Patriots. You would never hear anyone associated with either of these organizations say, "this year isn't about winning". Seriously? Can you imagine any past or present Steeler fan, coach, player or exec saying shit like that?
Yes, I can imagine it.
The Browns are a soft team. The players are soft, the coaches are soft, and even the fans are soft.
You primarily among Browns fans. A "soft" fan is one who wants to run away and hide when his team isn't doing so well. In fact, Browns fans are likely the toughest fans in the USA. They have stuck by this team for two decades of terrible football. That is tough. It is easy as fuck...it is soft...to support a team that is always winning. But to stick with them when they keep losing? THAT is what takes balls.
I guaranfuckingdamntee you that if the Steelers had gone through the losing that the Browns have gone through then that place would be a ghost town.
You just watch the Steelers welcome this goofy mother fucker Garrett into the NFL. It isn't hard to map where he will be ob any given play. Borderline/questionable cheap shot to destroy a knee? Absolutely, but not until they wear his ass out with tricks to exhaust him. If I am Hue, I rest Garrett in the opener. I believe the odds of losing this jumping village idiot in the Steeler game are much higher than the routine risk.
Well, clearly this is a case of you simply stating what you WANT to happen. You WANT the Browns to be bad. You WANT this kid to be bad. You have become a Steeler pole smoker.
-
Interesting....I wonder if the Bears ever approached the Browns about a trade up for him.
then probably Thomas at 3 then hooker at 12 unless they were really greedy and wanted 3 first's in next years draft
Can you imagine the screams from CHI-town had the Bears paid even more to trade up to #1 for Trubs?
then probably Thomas at 3 then hooker at 12 unless they were really greedy and wanted 3 first's in next years draft
I don't see any reason that Thomas would have altered the rest of our draft.
-
To paraphrase Rameses II... "So as it is written... let it be done."
Joe Thomas sees ‘fire burning inside’ Myles Garrett to be great
Posted May 17, 2017 Patrick Maks Staff Writer
Veteran OL impressed with 1st round pick’s humility, demeanorFrom one first-round pick to another, Joe Thomas
has been impressed with Myles Garrett
, the talented edge rusher from Texas A&M and No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.But Thomas, a 10-time Pro Bowler and third-overall pick in 2007, didn’t form that impression entirely based on Garrett’s freakish athleticism and potential to be an impact player for years to come. Instead, the veteran lauded the rookie for his humility and desire to earn his keep inside the locker room.
“I’m just impressed with his demeanor and his willingness to learn, his humbleness, but also you see that fire burning inside him to be great,” Thomas said Tuesday. “And I think those are the hallmarks of guys that have a chance to be really excellent football players.”
-
So? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
-
So? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
In Ghoolie we trustSo? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login