Myles Garrett
-
I agree with you Orion. Plus I would add that the smart guys in the FO had to have studied what makes for successful SB teams and realized you have to start with a great defense and build an offense in which you can add a QB who has a far better chance to succeed with good players to help him out from under all that pressure to be superman.
-
@ghoolie said:
Gipper,
the Steelers are the classic rock em sock em robot, bad ass football team.
NO, they are not. The Steelers rely now on their offense. They are what you always claim a team should be: completely reliant on 3 offensive skill players. These are NOT the Steelers of yesteryear...the rockem sockem team reliant on defense that they once were. If not for the Browns fucking themselves in the ass at every opportunity to lose that game last year, it was the Browns that were the "tougher team"...despite being as bad as they are. Brown, Ben, Bell......that is what the Steelers have become. This is no Joe Greene/Polamalu type team. No sir.
If you think Garrett blabbing about smashing Ben just went in one ear and out the other, then you are too casual in your understanding of football players, and testosterone infused players.
You worry too much about what players "babble". Lets see what he does.
They aren't going to let this hip-hip jitterbug Dallas Cowboy wannabe, be the star of the football game, and they sure as hell are not going to let him capture momentum for the Browns. Munchak will create traps, double teams, and strategic blocks that make borderline legal hits at his stems. Am I saying the Steelers will try to fuck his legs up? No. I am saying the Steelers will put Garrett in a position, coupled with frustration and exhaustion where the risk of injure will be more than simple football risk.
Well, to me, if the Steelers are all overly worried about Garrett...and go overboard to contain him....then I would expect the likes of Ogbah/Nassib/Shelton to step up and cover for him. If Garrett's "babble" distracts them, then that is good for the Browns defense as a whole.
However, as we have noted, the best thing about the Steelers may be their OL coach. So I don't think he will get distracted.
Football is played differently by teams like the Steelers and Patriots. You would never hear anyone associated with either of these organizations say, "this year isn't about winning". Seriously? Can you imagine any past or present Steeler fan, coach, player or exec saying shit like that?
Yes, I can imagine it.
The Browns are a soft team. The players are soft, the coaches are soft, and even the fans are soft.
You primarily among Browns fans. A "soft" fan is one who wants to run away and hide when his team isn't doing so well. In fact, Browns fans are likely the toughest fans in the USA. They have stuck by this team for two decades of terrible football. That is tough. It is easy as fuck...it is soft...to support a team that is always winning. But to stick with them when they keep losing? THAT is what takes balls.
I guaranfuckingdamntee you that if the Steelers had gone through the losing that the Browns have gone through then that place would be a ghost town.
You just watch the Steelers welcome this goofy mother fucker Garrett into the NFL. It isn't hard to map where he will be ob any given play. Borderline/questionable cheap shot to destroy a knee? Absolutely, but not until they wear his ass out with tricks to exhaust him. If I am Hue, I rest Garrett in the opener. I believe the odds of losing this jumping village idiot in the Steeler game are much higher than the routine risk.
Well, clearly this is a case of you simply stating what you WANT to happen. You WANT the Browns to be bad. You WANT this kid to be bad. You have become a Steeler pole smoker.
-
Interesting....I wonder if the Bears ever approached the Browns about a trade up for him.
then probably Thomas at 3 then hooker at 12 unless they were really greedy and wanted 3 first's in next years draft
Can you imagine the screams from CHI-town had the Bears paid even more to trade up to #1 for Trubs?
then probably Thomas at 3 then hooker at 12 unless they were really greedy and wanted 3 first's in next years draft
I don't see any reason that Thomas would have altered the rest of our draft.
-
To paraphrase Rameses II... "So as it is written... let it be done."
Joe Thomas sees ‘fire burning inside’ Myles Garrett to be great
Posted May 17, 2017 Patrick Maks Staff Writer
Veteran OL impressed with 1st round pick’s humility, demeanorFrom one first-round pick to another, Joe Thomas
has been impressed with Myles Garrett
, the talented edge rusher from Texas A&M and No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.But Thomas, a 10-time Pro Bowler and third-overall pick in 2007, didn’t form that impression entirely based on Garrett’s freakish athleticism and potential to be an impact player for years to come. Instead, the veteran lauded the rookie for his humility and desire to earn his keep inside the locker room.
“I’m just impressed with his demeanor and his willingness to learn, his humbleness, but also you see that fire burning inside him to be great,” Thomas said Tuesday. “And I think those are the hallmarks of guys that have a chance to be really excellent football players.”
-
So? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
-
So? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
In Ghoolie we trustSo? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
-
In Ghoolie we trustSo? Whose opinion do you all trust: Joe Thomas's or Ghoolie's?
In Ghoolie we trust
Hey- I liked Trubisky a lot too.
But, Trubs has as much chance of being on the level of Aaaron Rodgers as Garrett does of becoming the next Deacon Jones. The more I see of Myles, the more I like him.LOL, don't forget Ghoolie- Mitch's OC is going to be our fired QB coach Dowell Low-gains. Yup, so bad the Browns fired him. Peter Principle at work there.
I just hope Kizer doesn't play QB like Kaiser Wilhelm.
-
Very interesting demonstration of what Garrett needs to learn from Joe Thomas. They go into the 3 step and 5 step QB drops and what Garrett needs to do to counter the LT moves. I really believe Joe is going to take a great athlete and make an elite DE out of him within the next couple of years. Nothing like the best to teach you the intricacies of the game.
-
I agree. I mean it mite have been good for some fans to hear but not me. The guy never even been on a pro field yet and talking smack? Let your play do the talking. Don't go out and say a bunch of bs you mite not be able to back up......
I agree. I mean it mite have been good for some fans to hear but not me. The guy never even been on a pro field yet and talking smack? Let your play do the talking. Don't go out and say a bunch of bs you mite not be able to back up......
what Garrett said was "smack talk"? Lemme guess, you don't eat ketchup because it's too spicy.
-
@ghoolie said:
Just like Joe Thomas was a waste of a pick. If a guy cannot translate into wins IMMEDIATELY................for the worst team in the NFL, that is a wasted pick
Didn't the Browns go to the playoffs during his rookie year in which he started every game?
-
@ghoolie said:
Just like Joe Thomas was a waste of a pick. If a guy cannot translate into wins IMMEDIATELY................for the worst team in the NFL, that is a wasted pick
Didn't the Browns go to the playoffs during his rookie year in which he started every game?
No we missed with a 10-6 recordDidn't the Browns go to the playoffs during his rookie year in which he started every game?
-
Very interesting demonstration of what Garrett needs to learn from Joe Thomas. They go into the 3 step and 5 step QB drops and what Garrett needs to do to counter the LT moves. I really believe Joe is going to take a great athlete and make an elite DE out of him within the next couple of years. Nothing like the best to teach you the intricacies of the game.
So Ghoolie is already walking his story back? Gotta be a new record time...
Very interesting demonstration of what Garrett needs to learn from Joe Thomas. They go into the 3 step and 5 step QB drops and what Garrett needs to do to counter the LT moves. I really believe Joe is going to take a great athlete and make an elite DE out of him within the next couple of years. Nothing like the best to teach you the intricacies of the game.
THAT was a great segment... real "pass rush" PhD stuff.
-
getting back to basics:
-
So Ghoolie is already walking his story back? Gotta be a new record time...
Very interesting demonstration of what Garrett needs to learn from Joe Thomas. They go into the 3 step and 5 step QB drops and what Garrett needs to do to counter the LT moves. I really believe Joe is going to take a great athlete and make an elite DE out of him within the next couple of years. Nothing like the best to teach you the intricacies of the game.
THAT was a great segment... real "pass rush" PhD stuff.
So Ghoolie is already walking his story back? Gotta be a new record time...
THAT was a great segment... real "pass rush" PhD stuff.
I thought so too. But it is hard to evaluate that in terms of what Garrett already knows from his college play because so much of the time he is double teamed throughout that last year. Much, much harder to make moves (especially to the inside) when the guard is coming over to take that way from you should you get through the LT's right side.
However it's also why I believe Ogbah is going to have a stellar year. Because if they keep doubling Garrett, Ogbah & the DT's will shine in one on one's.
-
-
I am a little curious if they devote that much attention to a rookie. In college he was so much faster/stronger than the opposition that teams wouldn't risk it until they had him tired out, or they would do rollouts the other way. He won't have quite the same advantage and I would think the Steelers would think he could be contained by being "out-techniqued" at the early stages of his career.In other words expect more TE's to stay in close to the LT.

Also the last time we (Broncos) played the Steelers they went max protection most of the time. We didn't get a lot of pressure on him but our secondary had less routes to cover and a numbers advantage.
I am curious to see if your secondary will improve quite a bit this year. Any secondary will look like garbage if the opponent can go 4/5 wide and have all day to throw. It can get a little frustrating seeing the qb constantly take the first option / throw away all the time because his clock is sped up, instead of getting sacked. But those are the things that don't show up on the stat sheet that really help your defense when you have elite pass rushers.
-
Mr. Garrett is officially a Brown. Just signed the dotted line.
-
Mr. Garrett is officially a Brown. Just signed the dotted line.
so much shit going right for the Browns I almost don't know how to act.Mr. Garrett is officially a Brown. Just signed the dotted line.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login