2017 Rookie Mini-camp Thread
-
Hope he comes back sooon
-
Feel really bad for him. That came just a couple minutes after "Welcome to Cleveland kid!"
It reminds me of Sean Jones blowing out his knee back when he was a rookie going through mini-camp. I remembered the quick transition from "what a steal we landed at Safety in round 2" to "WTF!"
We're not lucky at all when it comes to freak injuries in non-contact practices. I still remember the day my dad, cousin and me drove in from Rochester, NY to watch the afternoon practice on first day of training camp. I was all excited to see LeCharles Bentley in a Browns uniform. We couldn't make the morning practice (that was non-contact). Anyway,when we pulled in and went to lunch - Atenears said can you believe Bentley's season is over? Atenears used to be one of the biggest ballbusters so I thought he was just messing with me. Nope. The Bentley was parked forever.
And how about when Jamir Miller was coming off a Pro Bowl year from his 2001 edge rush? In our very first preseason game of 2002 vrs the Minnesota Vikings - he blows out his achilles tendon and his career went good nightsies. That was before somebody invented magic tree bark in Baltimore, at least allegedly.
-
5 things to know from Day 2 of Browns rookie minicamp
Posted 14 hours ago
Patrick Maks Staff Writer1. Gerbil Peppers
made his Browns debut and didn’t disappoint. The former Michigan safety, who signed his participation agreement after missing Day 1 of rookie minicamp, was all over the field Saturday afternoon and quite obviously loving every second of it.2. Don’t blink, or else you might miss Myles Garrett
hurling toward your quarterback.The Browns defensive end applied plenty of pressure on rookie signal-caller DeShone Kizer
during Saturday's session. That is, after all, why Cleveland tapped him with the first overall pick.3. Much like Garrett, tight end David Njoku
continued to shine after a head-turning display Friday. At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Njoku is built like a power forward and moves like a track star (he was, after all, a high jump national champion in high school). But Jackson wants more from the former Miami standout.4. Jackson stressed earlier that the biggest challenge facing Kizer, who had a mixed bag sort of day, is consistency. That was evident on Saturday after Jackson said the Browns threw “a ton” at Kizer in terms of the playbook.
5. Speaking of quarterbacks, Jackson said it’s an open competition to be the team’s 2017 starter, but second-year signal caller Cody Kessler
will have the first crack at it.More on each player mentioned at :
-
Glad Kessler has the crown for the moment.
-
Surprised he said that about Kessler. Still feel as though Kizer will win the job.
-
Too bad Peppers didn't participate, not the best start.
He signed the participation agreement. He'll participate.
much to the disapproval of the Browns/OSU fans that can't get over us NOT taking Hooker.
He signed the participation agreement. He'll participate.
much to the disapproval of the Browns/OSU fans that can't get over us NOT taking Hooker.
Not an OSU fan but glad to Jalapeño Peppers is participating. His transition is the most interesting storyline for me.
-
A few of the interviews:
- : I love this kid's joy of football...
- : quiet confidence from "Chief"...
- : sounded like a "vet" to me...
- : interesting mix of all the above... plus some "spark"
I gotta say... Zagura did a nice job doing the interviews... very nice "just talking to the guys" element.
Here's Hue's
...A few of the interviews:
- : quiet confidence from "Chief"...
Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.
-
I'm so glad Peppers got out there for day 2 and it wasn't an issue. The coaches made immediate comments about his athleticism and infectious attitude...both traits we direly need on our team. Check out the picture below where Peppers is about three feet off the ground and smiling at the camera, LOL. I'm in the group of fans that believes Peppers has a shitload to prove, and I'm still quite bitter about trading down from 12 and not taking Hooker. Hooker wasn't just one of the highest rated free safeties in years, he also would've filled a giant need. Instead, we fell to pick 25 and took a player with all of the "upside" in the world, but no true position. In my opinion, when you're the worst team in the league, you don't draft first round players based on upside. I'm not speaking ill of Peppers, as I do believe he has a good chance to be a special part of our defense, but I also think it's going to take a while. I'm also fully aware we got a 2018 first round pick, which is no small victory, but our coaches and GM rolled the dice when they really didn't need to.

-
One more thing...
While it's only rookie minicamp, it's still nice to read several observations that say Myles Garrett comes "as advertised". He looks big, he looks fast, and I tend to enjoy the things he has to say. He shares some similarities to Clowney, although they are two very different players. One of the things that separates Garrett APPEARS to be his work ethic. He is going to be the guy that shows up early and stays late, and that could be a deadly combination considering he has immense physical gifts. Even if he didn't have any other moves besides a speed rush (and he does), he would still affect the game because his speed and power are so evident. That speed rush might not net him sacks as often as we'd like, but you can bet it's going to alter the QB's pocket
-
A few of the interviews:
- : quiet confidence from "Chief"...
Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.
Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.
I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.
....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000.

-
Ahem.. Keep the politics in the politics forum..
Ahem.. Keep the politics in the politics forum..
It was just a funny meme I came across unexpectedly when I was looking for Kaiser shots.
-
-
Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.
I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.
....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000.

I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.
....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000.

I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon, a pack of cigarettes was a quarter... And Jim Brown was the first NFL player to get a contract over $100,000. It's why most NFL players of that era had summer jobs, & why Jim eventually headed to Hollywood.
-
I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.
....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000.

I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon, a pack of cigarettes was a quarter... And Jim Brown was the first NFL player to get a contract over $100,000. It's why most NFL players of that era had summer jobs, & why Jim eventually headed to Hollywood.
-
-
Sadly, I'm with Tour on the gas price thing. I also remember us smokers bitching in 'Nam when smokes went from $1.20 to $1.40 a CARTON!!! LOL
How do these poor bastards afford 6 bucks a pack now? Damn glad I quit.
Mike
-
Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency?

Hey! Old dude... don't make me disrespect my elder...
-
not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U.
was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
