Skip to content

2017 Rookie Mini-camp Thread

The Browns Board
72 21 2.3k
  • A few of the interviews:

    • : I love this kid's joy of football...
    • : quiet confidence from "Chief"...
    • : sounded like a "vet" to me...
    • : interesting mix of all the above... plus some "spark"

    I gotta say... Zagura did a nice job doing the interviews... very nice "just talking to the guys" element.

    Here's Hue's

    ...

    @tour2ma said:

    A few of the interviews:

    • : quiet confidence from "Chief"...

    Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.

  • Wasn't the money, h. It was the rep stealing from Njoku, Devalve, Telfer...

  • I'm so glad Peppers got out there for day 2 and it wasn't an issue. The coaches made immediate comments about his athleticism and infectious attitude...both traits we direly need on our team. Check out the picture below where Peppers is about three feet off the ground and smiling at the camera, LOL. I'm in the group of fans that believes Peppers has a shitload to prove, and I'm still quite bitter about trading down from 12 and not taking Hooker. Hooker wasn't just one of the highest rated free safeties in years, he also would've filled a giant need. Instead, we fell to pick 25 and took a player with all of the "upside" in the world, but no true position. In my opinion, when you're the worst team in the league, you don't draft first round players based on upside. I'm not speaking ill of Peppers, as I do believe he has a good chance to be a special part of our defense, but I also think it's going to take a while. I'm also fully aware we got a 2018 first round pick, which is no small victory, but our coaches and GM rolled the dice when they really didn't need to.

    tempC39H0178--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

  • One more thing...

    While it's only rookie minicamp, it's still nice to read several observations that say Myles Garrett comes "as advertised". He looks big, he looks fast, and I tend to enjoy the things he has to say. He shares some similarities to Clowney, although they are two very different players. One of the things that separates Garrett APPEARS to be his work ethic. He is going to be the guy that shows up early and stays late, and that could be a deadly combination considering he has immense physical gifts. Even if he didn't have any other moves besides a speed rush (and he does), he would still affect the game because his speed and power are so evident. That speed rush might not net him sacks as often as we'd like, but you can bet it's going to alter the QB's pocket

  • @tour2ma said:

    A few of the interviews:

    • : quiet confidence from "Chief"...

    Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.

    @hoorta said:

    Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.

    I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.

    ....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000. πŸ˜•

  • Ahem.. Keep the politics in the politics forum..

    @unsympathetic said:

    Ahem.. Keep the politics in the politics forum..

    It was just a funny meme I came across unexpectedly when I was looking for Kaiser shots.

  • Glad Kessler has the crown for the moment.

    @wargograw said:

    Glad Kessler has the crown for the moment.

    You mean the Crown Royal? Smooth

    rybottle-690x1024.png

  • @hoorta said:

    Njoku had a segment on Sports Science. If that wasn't an "analytics" pick, I don't know what is. Another guy with off the chart measurables. Wish they had kept Barnidge around for another year though, at around $4 million, not like we didn't have the cap room.

    I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.

    ....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000. πŸ˜•

    @mjp28 said:

    I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.

    ....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000. πŸ˜•

    I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon, a pack of cigarettes was a quarter... And Jim Brown was the first NFL player to get a contract over $100,000. It's why most NFL players of that era had summer jobs, & why Jim eventually headed to Hollywood.

  • @mjp28 said:

    I for one still find it somewhat AMAZING that an old experienced TE for a mere $4M is considered a "bargain" insurance player.

    ....but then again I remember when a nice new car was a bargain at $3,000. πŸ˜•

    I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon, a pack of cigarettes was a quarter... And Jim Brown was the first NFL player to get a contract over $100,000. It's why most NFL players of that era had summer jobs, & why Jim eventually headed to Hollywood.

    @hoorta said:

    I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon...

    30? Pfffft...

    Gas wars at the intersection of Pearl and Snow roads used to drive the price into the teens... lowest I remember seeing was $0.12.9. There were stations on 3 of the 4 corners...

  • @hoorta said:

    I go back even farther than that, when gas was 30 cents a gallon...

    30? Pfffft...

    Gas wars at the intersection of Pearl and Snow roads used to drive the price into the teens... lowest I remember seeing was $0.12.9. There were stations on 3 of the 4 corners...

    @tour2ma said:

    30? Pfffft...

    Gas wars at the intersection of Pearl and Snow roads used to drive the price into the teens... lowest I remember seeing was $0.12.9. There were stations on 3 of the 4 corners...

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

  • Sadly, I'm with Tour on the gas price thing. I also remember us smokers bitching in 'Nam when smokes went from $1.20 to $1.40 a CARTON!!! LOL

    How do these poor bastards afford 6 bucks a pack now? Damn glad I quit.

    Mike

  • @tour2ma said:

    30? Pfffft...

    Gas wars at the intersection of Pearl and Snow roads used to drive the price into the teens... lowest I remember seeing was $0.12.9. There were stations on 3 of the 4 corners...

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

    @texasag1969 said:

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

    Hey! Old dude... don't make me disrespect my elder...

  • not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U. πŸ˜‰ was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

    Hey! Old dude... don't make me disrespect my elder...

    @tour2ma said:

    Hey! Old dude... don't make me disrespect my elder...

    Why I can remember like it was almost yesterday when President Davis told me to high tail it back to Texas. πŸ˜›

  • not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U. πŸ˜‰ was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..

    @gumby73 said:

    not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U. πŸ˜‰ was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..

    I'm gonna guess logjam at OG plus not nearly agile enough...

    Murray and Carey had nearly identical pro-day numbers...

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124490&draftyear=2017&genpos=CB

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1020623&draftyear=2017&genpos=SS

  • @tour2ma said:

    30? Pfffft...

    Gas wars at the intersection of Pearl and Snow roads used to drive the price into the teens... lowest I remember seeing was $0.12.9. There were stations on 3 of the 4 corners...

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

    @texasag1969 said:

    Was that during the first or second Roosevelt presidency? πŸ˜›

    Rutherford B. Hayes.

  • not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U. πŸ˜‰ was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..

    @gumby73 said:

    not sure how a 6'4"351 lbs. OG from LSU gets waived before pads? but Josh Boutte was cut loose today in favor of 2 tryout guys on back end. CB-Najee Murray-5'8 182 from The Kent State U. πŸ˜‰ was a PFF CB ranked 24th as a best UDFA..... SS-5'11-199 Donte Carey from Grand Valley State(we love this place but where is it?). who's older brother Don was drafted by Browns in 09 in 6th. Now at Detroit. we now sit at 90 on roster..

    Grand Valley State is somewhere in Michigan....checking...checking: just outside of Grand Rapids.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Hey! Old dude... don't make me disrespect my elder...

    Why I can remember like it was almost yesterday when President Davis told me to high tail it back to Texas. πŸ˜›

    @texasag1969 said:

    Why I can remember like it was almost yesterday when President Davis told me to high tail it back to Texas. πŸ˜›

    LOL, did you talk to him? But seriously- there's people living today that talked to Civil war Veterans. IIRC the last one died in 1959. Which is sort of amazing.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Why I can remember like it was almost yesterday when President Davis told me to high tail it back to Texas. πŸ˜›

    LOL, did you talk to him? But seriously- there's people living today that talked to Civil war Veterans. IIRC the last one died in 1959. Which is sort of amazing.

    @hoorta said:

    LOL, did you talk to him? But seriously- there's people living today that talked to Civil war Veterans. IIRC the last one died in 1959. Which is sort of amazing.

    My great gandpappy was from Alabama and at 17 fought in one of the last skirmishes of the Civil War in 1865. He died in his late 80's so he just missed holding me on his knee by less than a decade. He actually did move to Texas right after the war ended.

    James Albert Hard

    1843–1953 Last verified combat veteran. Fought for the Union.
  • He was from Alabama and fought for the Union?