The Core Group Has Increased
-
Folks,
There is now a bigger nucleus in place on both sides of the ball and on STs that we can get excited about. While growing pains from varying experience levels will be inevitable - our days of playing gridiron chess and attacking people exclusively with pawns are heading into the rear view mirror.
When we're looking for how Des Bryant and John Greco are going to get reps - we're a far cry from the bare cupboards previously haunting us. I'm starting to see why guys like Garrett, Peppers, Ogunjobi and others have responded to the question of "what can our opponents expect to see from you?" with "Come get some!" As refreshing as that sounds, Gregg Williams will be here to remind his guys that's too late/passive for sic em, sock em and sack em in his version of Darwin's Survival of the Fittest. When the average play doesn't last much longer than 3.5 seconds, getting there first has a very big say in who wins that play... That's also why experience helps guys play faster as we've noticed throughout Kirksey's progress and others.
It was even tough to decide where to cut off the core - but here's my version of our essential ingredients:
Jamie Collins
Christian Kirksey
Joe Haden (w/ his first legit pass rush?)
Jalapeno Peppers
Danny Shelton
Myles Garrett
Isaiah Crowell
Joe Thomas
Joel Bitonio
Kevin Zeitler
David Njoku
Zane Gonzalez
Britton Colquitt
-
I can't get excited for this team until they show Me something substantial in terms of wins..Im about near the end of My rope with this shit franchise..
-
I can't get excited for this team until they show Me something substantial in terms of wins..Im about near the end of My rope with this shit franchise..
I can't get excited for this team until they show Me something substantial in terms of wins..Im about near the end of My rope with this shit franchise..
A lifeline is thrown to a guy about to go under and he says he won't take it because someone might let the other end go on him. Perfectly reasonable.
-
Me and Nickers go back a long time talking Cleveland Browns football on all the message boards leading up to this one; and he's always been respectful of my opinion no matter how much he's disagreed with it. He's not a bad guy. He's just frustrated right now. I first posted in 1998 and I don't think he was that far behind me. Suffice it to say - he's invested a lot of time and loyalty to this team guys and wants to find the reward for doing so. I think we've all had our moments along the way where we asked ourselves "what the flock of Seagulls am I still doing following this team?" And then we remember the culture we've signed up for is often deeply embedded into our family histories.
He's not sitting here on a Cleveland Browns board calling everyone idiots for trying to get excited about this team again. Someone else takes care of that one repeatedly; and he gets all kinds of attention for doing so if the inventory of reads shown is accurate.
So, back to the purpose of this thread. Anyone interested in talking about how this roster is setting up today?
-
Me and Nickers go back a long time talking Cleveland Browns football on all the message boards leading up to this one; and he's always been respectful of my opinion no matter how much he's disagreed with it. He's not a bad guy. He's just frustrated right now. I first posted in 1998 and I don't think he was that far behind me. Suffice it to say - he's invested a lot of time and loyalty to this team guys and wants to find the reward for doing so. I think we've all had our moments along the way where we asked ourselves "what the flock of Seagulls am I still doing following this team?" And then we remember the culture we've signed up for is often deeply embedded into our family histories.
He's not sitting here on a Cleveland Browns board calling everyone idiots for trying to get excited about this team again. Someone else takes care of that one repeatedly; and he gets all kinds of attention for doing so if the inventory of reads shown is accurate.
So, back to the purpose of this thread. Anyone interested in talking about how this roster is setting up today?
So, back to the purpose of this thread. Anyone interested in talking about how this roster is setting up today?
I'm optimistic, but guarded if that makes sense. I've been begging for LBs and an attacking defense for years, and we may just have it. Like you mentioned, growing pains for sure with a young core, but they seem to have a clue with Greg Williams.
Offensively, I hope like hell they can run the football. Our WRs have much to prove, and the eternal QB quest continues.
Maybe they run to set up the pass, play aggressive D, and hold the penalties down. IF they can do these 3 things, it will be an exciting season.
-
So, back to the purpose of this thread. Anyone interested in talking about how this roster is setting up today?
I'm optimistic, but guarded if that makes sense. I've been begging for LBs and an attacking defense for years, and we may just have it. Like you mentioned, growing pains for sure with a young core, but they seem to have a clue with Greg Williams.
Offensively, I hope like hell they can run the football. Our WRs have much to prove, and the eternal QB quest continues.
Maybe they run to set up the pass, play aggressive D, and hold the penalties down. IF they can do these 3 things, it will be an exciting season.
I'm optimistic, but guarded if that makes sense. I've been begging for LBs and an attacking defense for years, and we may just have it. Like you mentioned, growing pains for sure with a young core, but they seem to have a clue with Greg Williams.
Offensively, I hope like hell they can run the football. Our WRs have much to prove, and the eternal QB quest continues.
Maybe they run to set up the pass, play aggressive D, and hold the penalties down. IF they can do these 3 things, it will be an exciting season.
Thanks Bob - well done!
I'm interested in seeing if we use DeValve more as a slot receiver than an h-back considering his durability issues dating back through college as well as the size advantage he may enjoy on the opponent's 3rd corner. Njoku will be fun to watch. One of things I read about OJ Howard was he needed to improve his consistency with blocking as he headed into last season. Why does that have anything to do with Njoku? When Howard was the same age as Njoku is today - his blocking needed to improve in order to elevate his draft status and it did.
As for WR, the week of practice immediately after Coleman played his best game vrs Miami (5 rec 104 yards and 2 TDs) he broke his hand and missed the next 6 weeks. That'll kill some rookie momentum/mojo and stats; but the kid did score 20 TDs to earn the Biletnikoff Award his last year of college to tell us there's some big play capability to tap. He also took the initiative to organize off season work with Kessler and teammates down in Texas.
You mentioned LBer and there's an UFA from 2016 that I think gives us quality depth (Oklahoma's Dominique Alexander). It'll also be interesting to see how Schobert comes along. He looked really instinctive in college but in Ray Horton's You Might be a Redneck Fire Drill last year - he didn't know if he was sniffing out the football or Limburger cheese...
The biggest thing to watch IMO is how much Garrett can impact time to throw and how much that helps our back end coverages. If it doesn't, we have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds to address our secondary.
We even added the best place kicker so we don't have to lose to a playoff caliber opponent like Miami in OT due to 3 missed FGs...
-
I really think this defense will suprise us this year without Horton and what Williams brings.
-
And yes I am watching the cavs
-
I wouldn't put Haden in there. He wasn't that good to start with and he has only got worse. He might be the most overpaid player in the league. And after this year he will be gone
-
-
every good core needs a gnarly,pesky 6'4" 251lb. Central Floridian drafted by Dallas in 2012, than cut twice. Spent 3 stents with SB champs Pats,cut 3 times(never a ring?). Cut Once with Browns, KC & with Jags..And now the highest paid Long Snapper in the business on a new 4 yr.contract. I nominate Charley"don't stop me now" Hughlett..
-
Tom... I think you know that I'm not here to piss in any ones wheaties... I can say I like some of the pieces that were added... I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB and letting guys like Pryor and whomever walk...
-
Folks,
There is now a bigger nucleus in place on both sides of the ball and on STs that we can get excited about. While growing pains from varying experience levels will be inevitable - our days of playing gridiron chess and attacking people exclusively with pawns are heading into the rear view mirror.
When we're looking for how Des Bryant and John Greco are going to get reps - we're a far cry from the bare cupboards previously haunting us. I'm starting to see why guys like Garrett, Peppers, Ogunjobi and others have responded to the question of "what can our opponents expect to see from you?" with "Come get some!" As refreshing as that sounds, Gregg Williams will be here to remind his guys that's too late/passive for sic em, sock em and sack em in his version of Darwin's Survival of the Fittest. When the average play doesn't last much longer than 3.5 seconds, getting there first has a very big say in who wins that play... That's also why experience helps guys play faster as we've noticed throughout Kirksey's progress and others.
It was even tough to decide where to cut off the core - but here's my version of our essential ingredients:
Jamie Collins
Christian Kirksey
Joe Haden (w/ his first legit pass rush?)
Jalapeno Peppers
Danny Shelton
Myles Garrett
Isaiah Crowell
Joe Thomas
Joel Bitonio
Kevin Zeitler
David Njoku
Zane Gonzalez
Britton Colquitt
-
Tom... I think you know that I'm not here to piss in any ones wheaties... I can say I like some of the pieces that were added... I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB and letting guys like Pryor and whomever walk...
I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB..
This FO understands were not SB Bowl build yet. So give the aging vet a run with a winner a move on with your own new pieces. The TE position seems similar to Old School Browns? That's Njoku taking the O. Newsome role while Devalve a young Dave Logan? Odd comparison for now but Njoku & Dave Logan were both 6'4". Njoku 246. Logan 219lbs. Bigger,stronger,faster advantage Njoku..Now can Kessler or anybody start tossing it up like Sipe? No signs yet, but a target/with speed like Njoku should be a piece that makes a QB numbers better getting the ball downfield plus YAC..Tick Tock..
-
I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB..
This FO understands were not SB Bowl build yet. So give the aging vet a run with a winner a move on with your own new pieces. The TE position seems similar to Old School Browns? That's Njoku taking the O. Newsome role while Devalve a young Dave Logan? Odd comparison for now but Njoku & Dave Logan were both 6'4". Njoku 246. Logan 219lbs. Bigger,stronger,faster advantage Njoku..Now can Kessler or anybody start tossing it up like Sipe? No signs yet, but a target/with speed like Njoku should be a piece that makes a QB numbers better getting the ball downfield plus YAC..Tick Tock..
This FO understands were not SB Bowl build yet. So give the aging vet a run with a winner a move on with your own new pieces. The TE position seems similar to Old School Browns? That's Njoku taking the O. Newsome role while Devalve a young Dave Logan? Odd comparison for now but Njoku & Dave Logan were both 6'4". Njoku 246. Logan 219lbs. Bigger,stronger,faster advantage Njoku..Now can Kessler or anybody start tossing it up like Sipe? No signs yet, but a target/with speed like Njoku should be a piece that makes a QB numbers better getting the ball downfield plus YAC..Tick Tock..
Actually.. Looking at Njoku.. I see more WR then I do TE.. I think that will be DeValves main role.. I think Njoku will transition to be a stud WR.. He looks to small to be a real TE in the NFL
-
Tom... I think you know that I'm not here to piss in any ones wheaties... I can say I like some of the pieces that were added... I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB and letting guys like Pryor and whomever walk...
Tom... I think you know that I'm not here to piss in any ones wheaties... I can say I like some of the pieces that were added... I really like the Njoku pickup.. but I don't believe it justified making Barnidge expendable , just yet. My biggest disappointment with this team is its continued failure to get the QB and letting guys like Pryor and whomever walk...
I'm happy that Pryor left. His ego was too much to fit in with the building of a TEAM.
The loudmouth was seen fussing at Hue on the sidelines, fussing at other teammates...
He just wanted the money. Sure, he was willing to lay in on the line, but wasn't worth the trouble.
He still was not a polished wr, so he wanted to go. Good riddance.
-
Folks,
There is now a bigger nucleus in place on both sides of the ball and on STs that we can get excited about. While growing pains from varying experience levels will be inevitable - our days of playing gridiron chess and attacking people exclusively with pawns are heading into the rear view mirror.
When we're looking for how Des Bryant and John Greco are going to get reps - we're a far cry from the bare cupboards previously haunting us. I'm starting to see why guys like Garrett, Peppers, Ogunjobi and others have responded to the question of "what can our opponents expect to see from you?" with "Come get some!" As refreshing as that sounds, Gregg Williams will be here to remind his guys that's too late/passive for sic em, sock em and sack em in his version of Darwin's Survival of the Fittest. When the average play doesn't last much longer than 3.5 seconds, getting there first has a very big say in who wins that play... That's also why experience helps guys play faster as we've noticed throughout Kirksey's progress and others.
It was even tough to decide where to cut off the core - but here's my version of our essential ingredients:
Jamie Collins
Christian Kirksey
Joe Haden (w/ his first legit pass rush?)
Jalapeno Peppers
Danny Shelton
Myles Garrett
Isaiah Crowell
Joe Thomas
Joel Bitonio
Kevin Zeitler
David Njoku
Zane Gonzalez
Britton Colquitt
Folks,
There is now a bigger nucleus in place on both sides of the ball and on STs that we can get excited about. While growing pains from varying experience levels will be inevitable - our days of playing gridiron chess and attacking people exclusively with pawns are heading into the rear view mirror.
When we're looking for how Des Bryant and John Greco are going to get reps - we're a far cry from the bare cupboards previously haunting us. I'm starting to see why guys like Garrett, Peppers, Ogunjobi and others have responded to the question of "what can our opponents expect to see from you?" with "Come get some!" As refreshing as that sounds, Gregg Williams will be here to remind his guys that's too late/passive for sic em, sock em and sack em in his version of Darwin's Survival of the Fittest. When the average play doesn't last much longer than 3.5 seconds, getting there first has a very big say in who wins that play... That's also why experience helps guys play faster as we've noticed throughout Kirksey's progress and others.
It was even tough to decide where to cut off the core - but here's my version of our essential ingredients:
Jamie Collins
Christian Kirksey
Joe Haden (w/ his first legit pass rush?)
Jalapeno Peppers
Danny Shelton
Myles Garrett
Isaiah Crowell
Joe Thomas
Joel Bitonio
Kevin Zeitler
David Njoku
Zane Gonzalez
Britton Colquitt
What is it that these players send us?:
-
This FO understands were not SB Bowl build yet. So give the aging vet a run with a winner a move on with your own new pieces. The TE position seems similar to Old School Browns? That's Njoku taking the O. Newsome role while Devalve a young Dave Logan? Odd comparison for now but Njoku & Dave Logan were both 6'4". Njoku 246. Logan 219lbs. Bigger,stronger,faster advantage Njoku..Now can Kessler or anybody start tossing it up like Sipe? No signs yet, but a target/with speed like Njoku should be a piece that makes a QB numbers better getting the ball downfield plus YAC..Tick Tock..
Actually.. Looking at Njoku.. I see more WR then I do TE.. I think that will be DeValves main role.. I think Njoku will transition to be a stud WR.. He looks to small to be a real TE in the NFL
Actually.. Looking at Njoku.. I see more WR then I do TE.. I think that will be DeValves main role.. I think Njoku will transition to be a stud WR.. He looks to small to be a real TE in the NFL
Looks can be deceiving?
- DeValve, Seth : 6-3 245
- Njoku, David ..: 6-4 246
I can see both motion, splitting out of 2 TE sets, but also tight in 2 TE sets... likely on the same end of the line. If Njoku has a separate role carved out for him, it could well be H-back.
I think our primary, in-line, blocking TE comes from:
- McNamara, Taylor : 6-5 251
- Telfer, Randall ......: 6-4 250
Don't know much about our UDFA TE tho... and to date I haven't been too impressed with our 2015 "reach".
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login