Skip to content

Lets Be Realistic...

The Browns Board
31 19 2.5k
  • I tend to feel that way as well.

    I think we have a real chance to make a big turn around.

    Lot's of things can go wrong, no doubt, but a lot of things can improve drastically.

    A big factor in that is the new coach. I can't help but think many of our problems stemmed from the fact the guys on the team knew Romeo wasn't going to make it another season very early in the season.

    That just sets a tone that is hard to explain and hard to say how much negative impact that had on the season.

    Our players...even the ones who played pretty well are going to play harder and smarter. That has to account for something.

  • Rushing the QB with more than 3 defensive players in the 1st qtr. Cowboys game.

    Getting back to tackling fundamentals. Bills game

    In summary, we will suck less.

  • Heck with realistic. Just found this on an old post and I'm drinking the Kool-Aid!

    OBR can't gush enough over the Browns draft. Mack was the best center prospect in decades and won the academic Heisman; Robiskie is smart, experienced, and the most polished and complete WR in the draft who will start immediately as well; Veikune is a high-motor, hard-working badass who made better known tackles look silly at the Senior Bowl, and he'll become a fan favorite very quickly; Massoquai graduated on time, worked tirelessly to improve, and was voted permanent captain by his teammates; and Don Carey was the fastest DB at the combine AND was accepted to grad school at Yale.

    Finally, Davis is being called a workhorse one-cut runner who plays with passion, a guy who almost certainly makes the roster and can contribute. Probably a steal.

    The point was a remaking of the Browns roster in the Patriot image: smart, high-character guys who love the game more than themselves.

    It has also been pointed out that the Browns probably got six starters on draft day -- Mack, Robiskie, Elam, Coleman, Veikune (I agree), and Massoquai in the slot. Additionally, Maiava could play nickel linebacker and be a special teams demon.

    =======

    OK, to be realistic for a minute, 8-8 seems reasonable to me. 10-6 would be more than I hoped for. 11 wins or more is over the top.

    6 wins with true signs we're improving would be no fun, but OK I guess, if we were hit with the injury bug, etc.

    5 wins or less and I'm flat out bummed.

    Most importantly, I want to see signs this organization has changed its approach, as JADBF has nicely noted above.

    @oconrecon said:

    Heck with realistic. Just found this on an old post and I'm drinking the Kool-Aid!

    OBR can't gush enough over the Browns draft. Mack was the best center prospect in decades and won the academic Heisman; Robiskie is smart, experienced, and the most polished and complete WR in the draft who will start immediately as well; Veikune is a high-motor, hard-working badass who made better known tackles look silly at the Senior Bowl, and he'll become a fan favorite very quickly; Massoquai graduated on time, worked tirelessly to improve, and was voted permanent captain by his teammates; and Don Carey was the fastest DB at the combine AND was accepted to grad school at Yale.

    Finally, Davis is being called a workhorse one-cut runner who plays with passion, a guy who almost certainly makes the roster and can contribute. Probably a steal.

    The point was a remaking of the Browns roster in the Patriot image: smart, high-character guys who love the game more than themselves.

    It has also been pointed out that the Browns probably got six starters on draft day -- Mack, Robiskie, Elam, Coleman, Veikune (I agree), and Massoquai in the slot. Additionally, Maiava could play nickel linebacker and be a special teams demon.

    =======

    OK, to be realistic for a minute, 8-8 seems reasonable to me. 10-6 would be more than I hoped for. 11 wins or more is over the top.

    6 wins with true signs we're improving would be no fun, but OK I guess, if we were hit with the injury bug, etc.

    5 wins or less and I'm flat out bummed.

    Most importantly, I want to see signs this organization has changed its approach, as JADBF has nicely noted above.

    Ocon hit it in perfect stride thats exactly the way i see it...😉

  • -The Coaching & Front Office TEAM being on the same page will translate to a better "on field" TEAM.

    -Discipline & structure..both non-existent last year.

    -I think we'll see more aggressive play.

    -Better fundamentals

    The Browns have made some fine additions & certainly have gone after intelligent, motivated players. From a coaching standpoint, the players will know what is expected from them & will respond accordingly, not playing "confused" as was the case way too often before.

    Good things happening in C-town!

    Mike

  • I'm seeing we're a reasonable bunch. We have high hopes, but not unreasonable expectations.

    Nothing wrong with that.

  • Wow!

    This is definately the feel good thread of the day.

    I agree with everyone and would like to add that the depth has improved at most positions and if the injury bug were to strike we have a chance to still be competitive.

  • Yes I am a Browns fan...

    Yes I am optimistic about the positive change that seems to be evident in the organization right now...

    Yes I am feeling good about the stability and overall outlook of this year's draft...

    But...

    What truly separates this years team from the same woes that were experienced last year? Let me get some opinions...

    @the-new-era said:

    Yes I am a Browns fan...

    Yes I am optimistic about the positive change that seems to be evident in the organization right now...

    Yes I am feeling good about the stability and overall outlook of this year's draft...

    But...

    What truly separates this years team from the same woes that were experienced last year? Let me get some opinions...

    a better schedule. no NFC East or AFC South.

  • -The Coaching & Front Office TEAM being on the same page will translate to a better "on field" TEAM.

    -Discipline & structure..both non-existent last year.

    -I think we'll see more aggressive play.

    -Better fundamentals

    The Browns have made some fine additions & certainly have gone after intelligent, motivated players. From a coaching standpoint, the players will know what is expected from them & will respond accordingly, not playing "confused" as was the case way too often before.

    Good things happening in C-town!

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    -The Coaching & Front Office TEAM being on the same page will translate to a better "on field" TEAM.

    -Discipline & structure..both non-existent last year.

    -I think we'll see more aggressive play.

    -Better fundamentals

    bla bla bla

    Kinda like when the COO comes to town for a staff meeting and tells you he senses great SYNERGY.

  • @the-new-era said:

    Yes I am a Browns fan...

    Yes I am optimistic about the positive change that seems to be evident in the organization right now...

    Yes I am feeling good about the stability and overall outlook of this year's draft...

    But...

    What truly separates this years team from the same woes that were experienced last year? Let me get some opinions...

    a better schedule. no NFC East or AFC South.

    @lumbergh said:

    a better schedule. no NFC East or AFC South.

    So you're saying there's a chance. 😆

  • @inspecta said:

    are you saying that Mangini won't be an upgrade in the coaching dept over RAC n' Rolls?

    RACs worst problem was getting the play call in on time.

    And that was probably Chud's fault. Although the equip manager shoulda got the axe if the helmet transmitter was as bad as everybody said.

    That's the only category where I'd expect anything to run differently.

    RAC was screwed when JJ, Stallworth, and Tucker went down with injuries. Add in the high expectations and a man-loving crowd chanting for the home town backup QB all game long and RAC was doomed.

  • Before we declare Lum anything other than a single-player humping joke, reread his post.

    Fans like to be optimistic. Only a non-fan would add "easier schedule" to this thread.

    Go away.

  • @canton-mike said:

    -The Coaching & Front Office TEAM being on the same page will translate to a better "on field" TEAM.

    -Discipline & structure..both non-existent last year.

    -I think we'll see more aggressive play.

    -Better fundamentals

    bla bla bla

    Kinda like when the COO comes to town for a staff meeting and tells you he senses great SYNERGY.

    @lumbergh said:

    bla bla bla

    Kinda like when the COO comes to town for a staff meeting and tells you he senses great SYNERGY.

    Nah, more like a paradigm shift. 😉

  • Everyone's done a good job running through the positives, so I'll just point out two possible concerns:

    1. Who's going to get after the quarterback? We're still relying on Wimbley & Hall to get pressure, which they weren't able to do consistently last season. Better coaching could help, but I'm not sure it can overcome a lack of functional playing strength (if that's a problem).

    Veikune could help, but rookie rushers often struggle to make much of an impact early on. That's even more likely to happen if a guy's learning to play multiple new positions.

    It's nice to look at the Jets' sack totals last year and think we'll replicate them this year, but their rush was generated by big money OLB's (Thomas and Pace) and a defensive end who actually led the team in sacks (Shaun Ellis). Not sure we have even close to comparable personnel. Corey Williams could help here, but I'm a bit skeptical.

    2. Have we become less dynamic at receiver? Phil Savage's plan to have Stallworth & Edwards stretch the field while Winslow caught a zillion passes underneath was a huge flop, but I'm a little concerned that our current plan, at least in the short term, could have its own drawbacks. Without Winslow, we don't have a proven, healthy receiving option at TE. Maybe Kokinis got us a steal in Robert Royal, but he doesn't seem to be anything special as a receiver.

    I like Robiskie, he's not going to stretch the field or scare opposing defenses. Massaquoi's got nice potential, but he's also got scarily inconsistent hands. I think he ends up redshirting this year.

    If that happens, we could face a situation in which opposing teams base their gameplan around shutting down Braylon, which could brew frustration, dropped balls, and endless pouting. Or they'll stack the box so often that even our newly improved o-line won't be able to rescue our run game.

    I expect marked improvement over last year, but a piss poor pass rush & an inability to get things going on offense could easily give us a 5-11 or 6-10 season.

  • Everyone's done a good job running through the positives, so I'll just point out two possible concerns:

    1. Who's going to get after the quarterback? We're still relying on Wimbley & Hall to get pressure, which they weren't able to do consistently last season. Better coaching could help, but I'm not sure it can overcome a lack of functional playing strength (if that's a problem).

    Veikune could help, but rookie rushers often struggle to make much of an impact early on. That's even more likely to happen if a guy's learning to play multiple new positions.

    It's nice to look at the Jets' sack totals last year and think we'll replicate them this year, but their rush was generated by big money OLB's (Thomas and Pace) and a defensive end who actually led the team in sacks (Shaun Ellis). Not sure we have even close to comparable personnel. Corey Williams could help here, but I'm a bit skeptical.

    2. Have we become less dynamic at receiver? Phil Savage's plan to have Stallworth & Edwards stretch the field while Winslow caught a zillion passes underneath was a huge flop, but I'm a little concerned that our current plan, at least in the short term, could have its own drawbacks. Without Winslow, we don't have a proven, healthy receiving option at TE. Maybe Kokinis got us a steal in Robert Royal, but he doesn't seem to be anything special as a receiver.

    I like Robiskie, he's not going to stretch the field or scare opposing defenses. Massaquoi's got nice potential, but he's also got scarily inconsistent hands. I think he ends up redshirting this year.

    If that happens, we could face a situation in which opposing teams base their gameplan around shutting down Braylon, which could brew frustration, dropped balls, and endless pouting. Or they'll stack the box so often that even our newly improved o-line won't be able to rescue our run game.

    I expect marked improvement over last year, but a piss poor pass rush & an inability to get things going on offense could easily give us a 5-11 or 6-10 season.

    Aloysius said:

    Without Winslow, we don't have a proven, healthy receiving option at TE. Maybe Kokinis got us a steal in Robert Royal, but he doesn't seem to be anything special as a receiver.

    Isn't Heiden gonna be ready for tC?

    After Heiden took it to the Giants, we realized how little the team needed Winslow.

  • Could be, but you never know with an older guy coming off a knee injury.

  • @inspecta said:

    Heiden is a much better blocker than Winslow, that much is certain, but as far as being an offensive weapon he doesn't hold a candle to Winslow.

    Yeah Heiden has a great receiving game once every 2 to 3 years, before the Giants game the last time he lit it up against a team was in 05 against the Packers.

    If we have a great TE receiving threat its going to come from Rucker.

    Heiden will be good for a 4th and 1 conversion going about 50 yards at least one time though...

    Heiden can catch, but he's no winslow.

    Winslow doesn't even have to be facing the QB to catch the ball.

  • Yes I am a Browns fan...

    Yes I am optimistic about the positive change that seems to be evident in the organization right now...

    Yes I am feeling good about the stability and overall outlook of this year's draft...

    But...

    What truly separates this years team from the same woes that were experienced last year? Let me get some opinions...

    @the-new-era said:

    Yes I am a Browns fan...

    Yes I am optimistic about the positive change that seems to be evident in the organization right now...

    Yes I am feeling good about the stability and overall outlook of this year's draft...

    But...

    What truly separates this years team from the same woes that were experienced last year? Let me get some opinions...

    IMO....this is the very first time since our reconception that we have depth at every position...real servicable quality depth...last year,for example, granted 4-12 but if we would have lost a corner we would have been screwed...The O-line is the best since dan fike,cody riesen,mike baab years, the one big If seems to be how the wr will fair...I honestly think we surprise people this year and make the playoffs

  • @inspecta said:

    Heiden is a much better blocker than Winslow, that much is certain, but as far as being an offensive weapon he doesn't hold a candle to Winslow.

    Yeah Heiden has a great receiving game once every 2 to 3 years, before the Giants game the last time he lit it up against a team was in 05 against the Packers.

    If we have a great TE receiving threat its going to come from Rucker.

    Heiden will be good for a 4th and 1 conversion going about 50 yards at least one time though...

    Heiden can catch, but he's no winslow.

    Winslow doesn't even have to be facing the QB to catch the ball.

    AdaM said:

    Heiden can catch, but he's no winslow.

    Winslow doesn't even have to be facing the QB to catch the ball.

    I think that had something to do with having to stop then leap 15 feet into the air to catch those Drive Assassin beauties.

  • While I'm not so sure about the playoffs, I am sure that we will really turn a few heads this year. Obviously, as SI points out, nobody expects anything from the Browns this season. Except the Browns and Browns fans!

    I see the depth at virtually every position, and the improvement in the WR, LB, OL, and Safeties, and I am very pleased with everything Mankok has done. This team seems to finally have a firm foundation and is being built the right way. I was wondering if that would ever happen. I see this team coming out and being competitive in every single game. I don't see any major blowouts on the horizon. And I see a few wins of games they "shouldn't win". All in all, I expect to see them end up anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. I would not be shocked if they pulled a 2007 and finish 10-6. Jamal Lewis should have a decent year (even though I wanted him gone) and Harrison will be used a lot more. Davis will gradually be brought along as Lewis's replacement. Braylon (who I also wanted gone) should have a fantastic year, being a contract year. He also is now dealing with the fact that he saw firsthand how 1 bad season can keep teams from wanting you. Does anyone really think that he's happy knowing that NY wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him? So he has something to prove as well as fighting for a contract. Robiskie is almost the perfect #2 WR for the NFL and between Furrey, Patten, MM, and possibly Cribbs a little, the WR corps is as deeper than it has been in awhile. Williams will be healthy on that D-line and should combine nicely with Coleman and Rogers to be a very strong starting D-line. With the improved D-line and the new additions, our LB should be vastly improved and our CB's and Safeties shouldn't have to worry about stopping the run so much. The run shouldn't be getting to them as often. Our weakest spot, TE, really isn't all that week. Rucker should replace K2 well as far as a receiving TE and Heiden and Royal are certainly better blockers. All of this combined with the fact that Quinn has been running Daboll's offense since he was a freshman at Notre Dame, making the QB spot much improved as well (can't get any worse then DA's 32nd in the NFL), should make this a very fun team to watch.

    I am, for the 1st time in a long time, exremely anxious for the season to get here already. It should be fun!

  • I'm thinking playoff's. You can never underestimate preperation, and Mangenius will have gameplans in to stop Pitt and Baltimore.

    We have talented athletes littered all over the roster. Let's put them in a position to make plays finally and we'll see what occurs.

    Our schedule is good, but we definitely need to split Pitt and Baltimore. Mangini hopefully puts the Brownies in a position to do so.

    I really can't see Baltimore beating us if we can finally stop Leron Mclain and Rice...Pitt will always be a battle, but we have enough talent to get there this season