Skip to content

Browns Trade For NYJ S Calvin Pryor

The Browns Board
89 35 4.1k
  • Sooooo...like others have said, who plays where? Is this a backup policy to add depth in case Peppers can't cut the mustard right away at SS? I definitely don't see us trying Peppers at FS, and from what I know, Pryor is not a fit for that position either. Gee, if only we drafted a free safety at #12 this year. Was there a good prospect available? I forget...(ok, ok...I'll let it go).

    We needed secondary depth, and we got it. We were able to resurrect the career of Jamar Taylor, so maybe we're thinking we can do the same for Pryor. There's no denying we have a hole at FS, and from what I've read, it's a real problem because Gregg Williams favors defenses that leave a single deep safety as the last line of defense. If that's true, it scares me just thinking about it. In order to help our coverage, I'm sure we're counting on a much better pass rush. I don't know if you guys remember last year, but I have a blinding memory of the opposition's OL stonewalling our defenders all too often. Even when we blitzed, it seemed like our guys just got "absorbed". We're banking on Myles Garrett, Ogbah, Desmond Bryant (hopefully), Jamie Collins, and even Jabril Peppers to help us take a giant step forward in our pass rush. Sacks are great, but we also need forced fumbles, QB hits, forced bad throws leading to picks and incompletions, and the simple fear that when it's 3rd and long, we can affect the play.

    I'm not giving up on Joe Haden playing free safety earlier than we might think. He might not have the speed to cover as an elite CB (or maybe he does...hopefully he DOES). But maybe Haden can switch over to FS and be effective if Boddy-Calhoun, Jamar Taylor, and another corner steps up.

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm not giving up on Joe Haden playing free safety earlier than we might think. He might not have the speed to cover as an elite CB (or maybe he does...hopefully he DOES). But maybe Haden can switch over to FS and be effective if Boddy-Calhoun, Jamar Taylor, and another corner steps up.

    I think Haden will be much better with the pass rush this year. Remember last year, we did not have one at all and Haden basically stayed with the receiver, he just couldn't intercept the ball because he was so much smaller. This year, he will be able to get the ball more because the opposing QB will have to get rid of the ball faster. Lets keep an eye on this one, my guess is he will get more interceptions.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Don't we have strong safety galore?

  • B Bigalow80 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I am interested to see what happens. I have heard that Wiliams will run a 4-2-5 defense a lot. Basically, 2 LB's being Collins and Kirksey with Peppers and Poyer in the box SS with a FS and the two CB's. Also, I wouldn't discount McCourty moving to FS in these types of sets. If you have Haden and BBC/Taylor on the outside and McCourty out high, this may not be so bad.

  • @miktoxic said:

    wasn't he the kid from louisville who's mom bitched about the browns not picking him and said she's glad a bum franchise like the browns didn't draft....lol?

    what a small world. betcha she's changed her tune now.

    That was Bridgewater.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @logicisforsquares said:

    That was Bridgewater.

    On the bench. He is a tweener.
  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I foresee Collins and Kirk and Peppers being base 4-3 LBs, with Pep sliding out to big nickel in 425, and Pryor and Powell being base safeties.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #19

    Log jam at SS/nickel.

    If I see Pryor or Peppers in the box as strong side backers, I'm grabbing my 21 personnel and running at them all day long. There are times in the AFC north, late season, when you need that downhill thumper in the box. I just don't see that from anyone in our backing corps now.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #20

    A depth linebacker for a former first rounder is always intriguing. Pryor will have a specific strength Williams can use and that's supposedly what Greg excels at so we'll see.

  • Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor gets a chance to play FS. At Louisville he was a playmaker. He was either lay big shots or making crazy picks. He has range so I think he could play the single high safety role, but I don't know about him coming down and playing man

  • Don't we have strong safety galore?

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @wargograw said:

    Don't we have strong safety galore?

    My only guess is Peppers will play "Big Nickel" or move to FS....?

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Davis wasn't going to start - so might as well trade him for somebody who might. Peppers and Pryor looks a lot better than last year.

    They might not have predetermined positions [eg, just S rather than SS/FS] and could just alternate the single-high based on ball location..

  • V VikingDawg wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Goddamn, I gotta hand it to theae guys, this here... THIS is that missing piece we needed to take that next step. A fucking bust at SS. The needle just moved ladies and gents, we are on our way with Pryor.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Nobody ever said "this" was the missing piece except you. Pryor is better than who we had on the roster, period. All good teams look for small ways to get better every day, and this is yet another brick in the road.

    And we didn't give up anything to get him.

    Time for you to change your unrealistic expectations. The only thing that's a bust is your understanding of how good teams are actually built.

  • Goddamn, I gotta hand it to theae guys, this here... THIS is that missing piece we needed to take that next step. A fucking bust at SS. The needle just moved ladies and gents, we are on our way with Pryor.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @vikingdawg said:

    Goddamn, I gotta hand it to theae guys, this here... THIS is that missing piece we needed to take that next step. A fucking bust at SS. The needle just moved ladies and gents, we are on our way with Pryor.

    who are you?

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #27

    ghoolie's nephew.

    the glass an eighth full crowd.

  • I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor gets a chance to play FS. At Louisville he was a playmaker. He was either lay big shots or making crazy picks. He has range so I think he could play the single high safety role, but I don't know about him coming down and playing man

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor gets a chance to play FS. At Louisville he was a playmaker. He was either lay big shots or making crazy picks. He has range so I think he could play the single high safety role, but I don't know about him coming down and playing man

    Not a chance he plays centerfield unless we are in deep shit.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #29

    First of all, ignore ghoolie the troll

    Second, what does this mean position wise?

    - Pryor at FS? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at SAM? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at FS? Unlikely

    - Pep at SS and Pryor at a LB hybrid role? Maybe

    - Pep at SS in base sets, with Pryor at SS and Pep at nickel/SAM in 4-2-5 packages? I think that's most likely.

    Who knows

  • First of all, ignore ghoolie the troll

    Second, what does this mean position wise?

    - Pryor at FS? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at SAM? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at FS? Unlikely

    - Pep at SS and Pryor at a LB hybrid role? Maybe

    - Pep at SS in base sets, with Pryor at SS and Pep at nickel/SAM in 4-2-5 packages? I think that's most likely.

    Who knows

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @mld-woody said:

    First of all, ignore ghoolie the troll

    Second, what does this mean position wise?

    - Pryor at FS? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at SAM? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at FS? Unlikely

    - Pep at SS and Pryor at a LB hybrid role? Maybe

    - Pep at SS in base sets, with Pryor at SS and Pep at nickel/SAM in 4-2-5 packages? I think that's most likely.

    Who knows

    Maybe we will just have a bunch of roaming, swarming pack of dogs, like a wolf pack...and the actual label of the position they play will be irrelevent.

    Like a basketball team where all 5 guys on the court are 6'7 to 6'9 and interchangeable.

  • First of all, ignore ghoolie the troll

    Second, what does this mean position wise?

    - Pryor at FS? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at SAM? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at FS? Unlikely

    - Pep at SS and Pryor at a LB hybrid role? Maybe

    - Pep at SS in base sets, with Pryor at SS and Pep at nickel/SAM in 4-2-5 packages? I think that's most likely.

    Who knows

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @mld-woody said:

    First of all, ignore ghoolie the troll

    Second, what does this mean position wise?

    - Pryor at FS? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at SAM? Probably not

    - Pryor at SS with Pep at FS? Unlikely

    - Pep at SS and Pryor at a LB hybrid role? Maybe

    - Pep at SS in base sets, with Pryor at SS and Pep at nickel/SAM in 4-2-5 packages? I think that's most likely.

    Who knows

    Pryor at full time SS, Peppers at full time SAM who slides out to $lb from time to time.

    Peppers is probably our Barron/Bucannon.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #32

    We wanted someone on the team with the last name pryor. It confuses the wannabe fans.

  • Goddamn, I gotta hand it to theae guys, this here... THIS is that missing piece we needed to take that next step. A fucking bust at SS. The needle just moved ladies and gents, we are on our way with Pryor.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @vikingdawg said:

    Goddamn, I gotta hand it to theae guys, this here... THIS is that missing piece we needed to take that next step. A fucking bust at SS. The needle just moved ladies and gents, we are on our way with Pryor.

    Time for a new name.