Skip to content

FO report card

The Browns Board
46 13 1.1k
  • @mld-woody said:

    Best situation we've been in for a while

    I don't know that you can honestly say that. What you can say is that the FO has an identifiable style. They have chosen a #1 draft pick most likely based on probability. Saving a lightening strike, Garrett is going to give the Browns great value for years to come. Like Thomas has. You don't have to make the best choice with your #1..........as long as you make one of the best, then you did well. The downside to Garrett is non-existent.

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    I have blasted the Kizer pick, but am going to eat my crow even before it gets served up. More than anyone here I spout of the intangible, human qualities that make a player great. So, I look at this Kizer kid and I think about his cockiness. He wanted to get the fuck our of college, he wants to be a star, he wants to lead. Not unlike Joe Namath, eh? The kid doesn't seem to be about himself. I think this is the first QB we have had who can actually inject hope, adrenaline and potency into the Browns theater. A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Again, being honest, the difference between the shitty 1- 19 2016 Browns, and what would have been maybe an 8-8 season, very well could already be brewing with some of the last year rookies and this year's rookies. Just having a QB who can shake it up and turn shit into shinola is something we have not had since Bernie, and to some extent Testicle-verde.

    No team has any guarantees, They all have hope and expectations. We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work? Common sense tells you it has to be better than the shit that preceded it.

    I personally still believe the fire has to be started by the QB. Kizer is the only guy who has that potential, aura, or whatever you want to call it. I think he will make a bunch of stupid throws and a bunch of crowd pleasers. I think I will really love this FO and HC if the kid gets the start, and has the support to let him swing for the bleachers, focusing on his upside, and looking at the fuck ups as just simple shit to learn from.

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    @ghoolie said:

    We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work?

    Good observation, I think that mindset is shared by the NE Patriots.

    @ghoolie said:

    Browns fans deserve a winner.

    I hear ya!
  • Fair, "half-empty" assessment... I'd expect no less... or maybe it's "no more"... 😉

    One grain of 2016 salt for the FO... short prep time. But I think this was also in their "awareness" and helped them take the approach that stockpiled future picks... nuggets stashed away for a day when they knew they'd be better prepared to use them.

    On the DC upgrade: I think there was a chunk of opportunism in the move. Had LAR given Fisher "one more year", it's very likely we would have seen another year of Horton. Regardless the bulk of the credit for the change has to go to Hue... it's his staff.

    @tour2ma said:

    Fair, "half-empty" assessment... I'd expect no less... or maybe it's "no more"... 😉

    One grain of 2016 salt for the FO... short prep time. But I think this was also in their "awareness" and helped them take the approach that stockpiled future picks... nuggets stashed away for a day when they knew they'd be better prepared to use them.

    Ok...if you say so.....Id debate that(14 picks), but no real need to......I think they did their best and just learned a little for round 2.....no holds barred tho.....

    On the DC upgrade: I think there was a chunk of opportunism in the move. Had LAR given Fisher "one more year", it's very likely we would have seen another year of Horton. Regardless the bulk of the credit for the change has to go to Hue... it's his staff.

    Glad they saw an opportunity and took it.....whether it was Hue or the FO......change(tweaking), on a reasonable scale, can be very good.....and I think this is one of those times.....

    @ghoolie said:

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    So....maybe well hit on one(or 2)....outside of Shelton, it's been a long long time.....

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    Thats one of my revelations too......no real obvious fuck ups......(a few risky picks, but what the hell)

    A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Me too.....did not see it in him pre-draft, but never hated him either......NOW, just hope and a prayer.....he could be the guy!

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    There ya go.....I haven't been a fan of this FO, but have never once condoned talk of another change.....they have a plan and look to be the first group that will be permitted to execute it.....thats a plus in Jimmys favor....

    @gumby73 said:

    Nothing Else has Worked..so I guess I like where this is going?..BUT... With any progress?

    Thats where I am.....limited progress...which this exercise helped me to see....

    We have to stop the collection of picks..Use them to move up for better QuAlity pieces in 18..

    Agree.....already burned out on massive middling picks.....lets go for more quality and less quantity....

    Hue Jackson is Not the QB Messiah that he is labelled to be. Or Hue thinks he is?

    No where even close.....

    This Draft Hue got dick'd again at #10 if losing out on MaHolmes was Hue's guy? Lead to plan B again

    Not so sure Hue has much(or any) say in personnel decisions....to my eye, he's not a talent evaluator and is very much an optimist, making him think ANY player could, should or would do well.....he is too positive and not nearly critical enough to make those choices...

    . Imo Adoree Jackson was still the pick. A Multi-talented CB, instead we settled for another multi-talent help with Peppers..

    I was an Adore fan too.....would have been just as happy(or happier) with him, as opposed to Peppers.....but, in the end, they have many of the same attributes.....

    12 more picks next season with a good class of QB's next draft. If we don't own a Wentzzcott by end of 17 season? Do us all a favor..Buy One$$$ not named Oswieler3..

    Im hoping Kizer shows enough to let us use those high picks elsewhere....

  • @mld-woody said:

    Best situation we've been in for a while

    I don't know that you can honestly say that. What you can say is that the FO has an identifiable style. They have chosen a #1 draft pick most likely based on probability. Saving a lightening strike, Garrett is going to give the Browns great value for years to come. Like Thomas has. You don't have to make the best choice with your #1..........as long as you make one of the best, then you did well. The downside to Garrett is non-existent.

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    I have blasted the Kizer pick, but am going to eat my crow even before it gets served up. More than anyone here I spout of the intangible, human qualities that make a player great. So, I look at this Kizer kid and I think about his cockiness. He wanted to get the fuck our of college, he wants to be a star, he wants to lead. Not unlike Joe Namath, eh? The kid doesn't seem to be about himself. I think this is the first QB we have had who can actually inject hope, adrenaline and potency into the Browns theater. A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Again, being honest, the difference between the shitty 1- 19 2016 Browns, and what would have been maybe an 8-8 season, very well could already be brewing with some of the last year rookies and this year's rookies. Just having a QB who can shake it up and turn shit into shinola is something we have not had since Bernie, and to some extent Testicle-verde.

    No team has any guarantees, They all have hope and expectations. We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work? Common sense tells you it has to be better than the shit that preceded it.

    I personally still believe the fire has to be started by the QB. Kizer is the only guy who has that potential, aura, or whatever you want to call it. I think he will make a bunch of stupid throws and a bunch of crowd pleasers. I think I will really love this FO and HC if the kid gets the start, and has the support to let him swing for the bleachers, focusing on his upside, and looking at the fuck ups as just simple shit to learn from.

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    @ghoolie said:

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    Sybil

  • @mld-woody said:

    Best situation we've been in for a while

    I don't know that you can honestly say that. What you can say is that the FO has an identifiable style. They have chosen a #1 draft pick most likely based on probability. Saving a lightening strike, Garrett is going to give the Browns great value for years to come. Like Thomas has. You don't have to make the best choice with your #1..........as long as you make one of the best, then you did well. The downside to Garrett is non-existent.

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    I have blasted the Kizer pick, but am going to eat my crow even before it gets served up. More than anyone here I spout of the intangible, human qualities that make a player great. So, I look at this Kizer kid and I think about his cockiness. He wanted to get the fuck our of college, he wants to be a star, he wants to lead. Not unlike Joe Namath, eh? The kid doesn't seem to be about himself. I think this is the first QB we have had who can actually inject hope, adrenaline and potency into the Browns theater. A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Again, being honest, the difference between the shitty 1- 19 2016 Browns, and what would have been maybe an 8-8 season, very well could already be brewing with some of the last year rookies and this year's rookies. Just having a QB who can shake it up and turn shit into shinola is something we have not had since Bernie, and to some extent Testicle-verde.

    No team has any guarantees, They all have hope and expectations. We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work? Common sense tells you it has to be better than the shit that preceded it.

    I personally still believe the fire has to be started by the QB. Kizer is the only guy who has that potential, aura, or whatever you want to call it. I think he will make a bunch of stupid throws and a bunch of crowd pleasers. I think I will really love this FO and HC if the kid gets the start, and has the support to let him swing for the bleachers, focusing on his upside, and looking at the fuck ups as just simple shit to learn from.

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    @ghoolie said:

    I don't know that you can honestly say that. What you can say is that the FO has an identifiable style. They have chosen a #1 draft pick most likely based on probability. Saving a lightening strike, Garrett is going to give the Browns great value for years to come. Like Thomas has. You don't have to make the best choice with your #1..........as long as you make one of the best, then you did well. The downside to Garrett is non-existent.

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    I have blasted the Kizer pick, but am going to eat my crow even before it gets served up. More than anyone here I spout of the intangible, human qualities that make a player great. So, I look at this Kizer kid and I think about his cockiness. He wanted to get the fuck our of college, he wants to be a star, he wants to lead. Not unlike Joe Namath, eh? The kid doesn't seem to be about himself. I think this is the first QB we have had who can actually inject hope, adrenaline and potency into the Browns theater. A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Again, being honest, the difference between the shitty 1- 19 2016 Browns, and what would have been maybe an 8-8 season, very well could already be brewing with some of the last year rookies and this year's rookies. Just having a QB who can shake it up and turn shit into shinola is something we have not had since Bernie, and to some extent Testicle-verde.

    No team has any guarantees, They all have hope and expectations. We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work? Common sense tells you it has to be better than the shit that preceded it.

    I personally still believe the fire has to be started by the QB. Kizer is the only guy who has that potential, aura, or whatever you want to call it. I think he will make a bunch of stupid throws and a bunch of crowd pleasers. I think I will really love this FO and HC if the kid gets the start, and has the support to let him swing for the bleachers, focusing on his upside, and looking at the fuck ups as just simple shit to learn from.

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    Wow, this is the most sensible post of yours I've read in a while. Though to be fair I don't read most of your posts. I can honestly say I agree with a good portion of it.

  • @ghoolie said:

    I don't know that you can honestly say that. What you can say is that the FO has an identifiable style. They have chosen a #1 draft pick most likely based on probability. Saving a lightening strike, Garrett is going to give the Browns great value for years to come. Like Thomas has. You don't have to make the best choice with your #1..........as long as you make one of the best, then you did well. The downside to Garrett is non-existent.

    Next, it is no secret that round 1 gives the highest probability of finding great talent. We picked 3 times. That also gives the Browns a probability advantage over other teams.

    As an adjunct, unlike the Brady and Manziel picks, the FO didn't make any "what the fuck was that" choices. Even I, in my most Ghoolie mindset, gives a thumbs up.

    I have blasted the Kizer pick, but am going to eat my crow even before it gets served up. More than anyone here I spout of the intangible, human qualities that make a player great. So, I look at this Kizer kid and I think about his cockiness. He wanted to get the fuck our of college, he wants to be a star, he wants to lead. Not unlike Joe Namath, eh? The kid doesn't seem to be about himself. I think this is the first QB we have had who can actually inject hope, adrenaline and potency into the Browns theater. A lot of experts think we made a steal. I am very hopeful that they are right.

    Again, being honest, the difference between the shitty 1- 19 2016 Browns, and what would have been maybe an 8-8 season, very well could already be brewing with some of the last year rookies and this year's rookies. Just having a QB who can shake it up and turn shit into shinola is something we have not had since Bernie, and to some extent Testicle-verde.

    No team has any guarantees, They all have hope and expectations. We can disagree on how a team should be built, but this FO has a culture, and this is something we also have not had in a long time.......

    Accumulate picks

    Draft low risk

    Draft high odds payout with little risk

    Don't sell the future on veteran blowhards

    Think Young

    Will this work? Common sense tells you it has to be better than the shit that preceded it.

    I personally still believe the fire has to be started by the QB. Kizer is the only guy who has that potential, aura, or whatever you want to call it. I think he will make a bunch of stupid throws and a bunch of crowd pleasers. I think I will really love this FO and HC if the kid gets the start, and has the support to let him swing for the bleachers, focusing on his upside, and looking at the fuck ups as just simple shit to learn from.

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    Wow, this is the most sensible post of yours I've read in a while. Though to be fair I don't read most of your posts. I can honestly say I agree with a good portion of it.

    @mld-woody said:

    Wow, this is the most sensible post of yours I've read in a while. Though to be fair I don't read most of your posts. I can honestly say I agree with a good portion of it.

    I may have to take him off my ignore button if he keeps staying sensible. I like this version far more and look forward to the permanent change.

  • It always amazes me that folks claim to ignore me, yet still know what I post. Funny stuff.

    In any case, I want to see these guys succeed, I don't care who predicted what. Even me.

  • Great read Mud!

    Bill Parcells always liked to say "you are what your record says you are." Having said that, I doubt he liked saying that very often during the first year he almost got fired taking over the dumpster fire in NY back in 1983. Back then, he had to be thinking "we are who are QB says we are." Phil Simms got hurt early on as Scott Brunner QBed them to 3-9. How much did they need LT off the edge when they didn't have very many leads to protect?

    It's tough to make very many conclusions about a rookie FO; but I liked getting 3 first round picks in 2016. I also like knowing we have 2 picks in round 1 and 3 in round 2 next year (that's 5 picks). It's also been said it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft while we're waiting to see which way things go with the 2 Colemans, Ogbah, DeValve, Drango, Kindred, Higgins, Nassib and Kessler. Is talent or experience their biggest enemy? Danny Shelton sure looked a lot better in his 2nd year than he did in his first right?

    As much as I thought Zeke Elliott was the best pick in the 2016 draft, there's been periods of time Crow has averaged over 6 yards a carry as a rookie and early on in 2016 when both OGs were healthy/starting. As much as people like to trash our line for its pass pro, Crow ended up with 4.8 yards per carry all the while Zeke got to run behind the best line in football last year. Suffice it to say, Crow was 1 guy we didn't need to upgrade.

    Keep in mind, our first 2 picks in the 2014 draft were already out of the NFL as early as 2016 while Erving has yet to perform like a 1st round talent. The rookie FO at least got some exchange value back from Pittsburgh for Gilbert. If the FO in 2014 drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr especially in spots we could have drafted them - doesn't that already solve huge needs like edge rush and QB? The Raiders are really happy about their overall impact to their turn around and rightfully so.

    Other things I like that this FO has done are:

    Traded for Jamie Collins and gave him a new contract.

    Gave Bitonio a new contract.

    Gave Kirksey a new contract.

    They brought in Zeitler as well as enough competition to upgrade the 1st round Center Farmer drafted.

    Got rid of Candy Lee.

    I'd like to add Gregg Williams but he already clarified in his presser Hue is the reason he's here.

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

  • Great read Mud!

    Bill Parcells always liked to say "you are what your record says you are." Having said that, I doubt he liked saying that very often during the first year he almost got fired taking over the dumpster fire in NY back in 1983. Back then, he had to be thinking "we are who are QB says we are." Phil Simms got hurt early on as Scott Brunner QBed them to 3-9. How much did they need LT off the edge when they didn't have very many leads to protect?

    It's tough to make very many conclusions about a rookie FO; but I liked getting 3 first round picks in 2016. I also like knowing we have 2 picks in round 1 and 3 in round 2 next year (that's 5 picks). It's also been said it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft while we're waiting to see which way things go with the 2 Colemans, Ogbah, DeValve, Drango, Kindred, Higgins, Nassib and Kessler. Is talent or experience their biggest enemy? Danny Shelton sure looked a lot better in his 2nd year than he did in his first right?

    As much as I thought Zeke Elliott was the best pick in the 2016 draft, there's been periods of time Crow has averaged over 6 yards a carry as a rookie and early on in 2016 when both OGs were healthy/starting. As much as people like to trash our line for its pass pro, Crow ended up with 4.8 yards per carry all the while Zeke got to run behind the best line in football last year. Suffice it to say, Crow was 1 guy we didn't need to upgrade.

    Keep in mind, our first 2 picks in the 2014 draft were already out of the NFL as early as 2016 while Erving has yet to perform like a 1st round talent. The rookie FO at least got some exchange value back from Pittsburgh for Gilbert. If the FO in 2014 drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr especially in spots we could have drafted them - doesn't that already solve huge needs like edge rush and QB? The Raiders are really happy about their overall impact to their turn around and rightfully so.

    Other things I like that this FO has done are:

    Traded for Jamie Collins and gave him a new contract.

    Gave Bitonio a new contract.

    Gave Kirksey a new contract.

    They brought in Zeitler as well as enough competition to upgrade the 1st round Center Farmer drafted.

    Got rid of Candy Lee.

    I'd like to add Gregg Williams but he already clarified in his presser Hue is the reason he's here.

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

    @flugel said:

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

    This FO has proven that they can wheel & deal like veterans, but I agree, can they evaluate talent?
  • this FO deserves a big fat F for failure

  • @ghoolie said:

    Lynch, Trubisky?

    Don't give a fuck any more. We all deserve respect. Browns fans deserve a winner. I really am all in. The FO has a plan. Ya gotta give the plan space and not fuck with it.

    I'm on board.

    Sybil

    @orion said:

    Sybil

    lol...

    @mld-woody said:

    Wow, this is the most sensible post of yours I've read in a while. Though to be fair I don't read most of your posts. I can honestly say I agree with a good portion of it.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I may have to take him off my ignore button if he keeps staying sensible. I like this version far more and look forward to the permanent change.

    Ditto... but I've been fooled before.

    @ghoolie said:

    It always amazes me that folks claim to ignore me, yet still know what I post. Funny stuff.

    In any case, I want to see these guys succeed, I don't care who predicted what. Even me.

    Not that big a mystery. When posts are quoted, ignore is bypassed.

  • Great read Mud!

    Bill Parcells always liked to say "you are what your record says you are." Having said that, I doubt he liked saying that very often during the first year he almost got fired taking over the dumpster fire in NY back in 1983. Back then, he had to be thinking "we are who are QB says we are." Phil Simms got hurt early on as Scott Brunner QBed them to 3-9. How much did they need LT off the edge when they didn't have very many leads to protect?

    It's tough to make very many conclusions about a rookie FO; but I liked getting 3 first round picks in 2016. I also like knowing we have 2 picks in round 1 and 3 in round 2 next year (that's 5 picks). It's also been said it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft while we're waiting to see which way things go with the 2 Colemans, Ogbah, DeValve, Drango, Kindred, Higgins, Nassib and Kessler. Is talent or experience their biggest enemy? Danny Shelton sure looked a lot better in his 2nd year than he did in his first right?

    As much as I thought Zeke Elliott was the best pick in the 2016 draft, there's been periods of time Crow has averaged over 6 yards a carry as a rookie and early on in 2016 when both OGs were healthy/starting. As much as people like to trash our line for its pass pro, Crow ended up with 4.8 yards per carry all the while Zeke got to run behind the best line in football last year. Suffice it to say, Crow was 1 guy we didn't need to upgrade.

    Keep in mind, our first 2 picks in the 2014 draft were already out of the NFL as early as 2016 while Erving has yet to perform like a 1st round talent. The rookie FO at least got some exchange value back from Pittsburgh for Gilbert. If the FO in 2014 drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr especially in spots we could have drafted them - doesn't that already solve huge needs like edge rush and QB? The Raiders are really happy about their overall impact to their turn around and rightfully so.

    Other things I like that this FO has done are:

    Traded for Jamie Collins and gave him a new contract.

    Gave Bitonio a new contract.

    Gave Kirksey a new contract.

    They brought in Zeitler as well as enough competition to upgrade the 1st round Center Farmer drafted.

    Got rid of Candy Lee.

    I'd like to add Gregg Williams but he already clarified in his presser Hue is the reason he's here.

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

    @flugel said:

    Great read Mud!

    Bill Parcells always liked to say "you are what your record says you are." Having said that, I doubt he liked saying that very often during the first year he almost got fired taking over the dumpster fire in NY back in 1983. Back then, he had to be thinking "we are who are QB says we are." Phil Simms got hurt early on as Scott Brunner QBed them to 3-9. How much did they need LT off the edge when they didn't have very many leads to protect?

    It's tough to make very many conclusions about a rookie FO; but I liked getting 3 first round picks in 2016. I also like knowing we have 2 picks in round 1 and 3 in round 2 next year (that's 5 picks). It's also been said it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft while we're waiting to see which way things go with the 2 Colemans, Ogbah, DeValve, Drango, Kindred, Higgins, Nassib and Kessler. Is talent or experience their biggest enemy? Danny Shelton sure looked a lot better in his 2nd year than he did in his first right?

    As much as I thought Zeke Elliott was the best pick in the 2016 draft, there's been periods of time Crow has averaged over 6 yards a carry as a rookie and early on in 2016 when both OGs were healthy/starting. As much as people like to trash our line for its pass pro, Crow ended up with 4.8 yards per carry all the while Zeke got to run behind the best line in football last year. Suffice it to say, Crow was 1 guy we didn't need to upgrade.

    Keep in mind, our first 2 picks in the 2014 draft were already out of the NFL as early as 2016 while Erving has yet to perform like a 1st round talent. The rookie FO at least got some exchange value back from Pittsburgh for Gilbert. If the FO in 2014 drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr especially in spots we could have drafted them - doesn't that already solve huge needs like edge rush and QB? The Raiders are really happy about their overall impact to their turn around and rightfully so.

    Other things I like that this FO has done are:

    Traded for Jamie Collins and gave him a new contract.

    Gave Bitonio a new contract.

    Gave Kirksey a new contract.

    They brought in Zeitler as well as enough competition to upgrade the 1st round Center Farmer drafted.

    Got rid of Candy Lee.

    I'd like to add Gregg Williams but he already clarified in his presser Hue is the reason he's here.

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

    Tom, here is the Cliffs notes version of your post, at least as I see it.

    By having a lot of picks, even if we are average at talent assessment, we win. However, early results would indicate that we did have some success at adding some talent. Not yet the big offensive playmakers, but for sure an improvement.

    My two cents is that the FO recognizes we need a franchise QB. Going big in the draft is still the best chance of finding the guy, but statistically it isn't a guarantee. This task is at best, a crap shoot. So do you gamble it all on a roll of the dice, or do you keep some chips in your bank and play something a little less risky?

    There is no right or wrong answer here. There is no guarantee. The Browns FO, by taking Kizer has kept some chips for other rolls, and at the same time, put the team in the game. Like Kizer or not, his pick gives the Browns a potential upside of finding the QB solution we seek. If he does pan out, given that we won't have to go big for a QB next year, we keep a pile of chips and wind up looking like geniuses. If he doesn't pan out, we have chips to roll again.

    I am pulling for the kid. He has as good of a chance as anyone else.

  • @orion said:

    Sybil

    lol...

    @mld-woody said:

    Wow, this is the most sensible post of yours I've read in a while. Though to be fair I don't read most of your posts. I can honestly say I agree with a good portion of it.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I may have to take him off my ignore button if he keeps staying sensible. I like this version far more and look forward to the permanent change.

    Ditto... but I've been fooled before.

    @ghoolie said:

    It always amazes me that folks claim to ignore me, yet still know what I post. Funny stuff.

    In any case, I want to see these guys succeed, I don't care who predicted what. Even me.

    Not that big a mystery. When posts are quoted, ignore is bypassed.

    @tour2ma said:

    Ditto... but I've been fooled before.

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ditto... but I've been fooled before.

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

    @orion said:

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

    My potentially buying TBB would be to grow and improve it, not to acquire a playground. I already have plenty of playgrounds. My partner and I are in the acceptance stage of accepting a Venture Capital offer for a portion of a new water technology we invented and patented. I like to build things, and I would do the same with TBB.

    I am exploring the potential interest, and associated costs with getting a gaggle of sports reporters, national and local, as well as players, current and former to participate here. Maybe short pop ins to the Tavern, perhaps a 3 - question per week column by Browns writers. The investment into buying the board is peanuts, the real costs lie in the expenditures and promises that would be required to get participation from the NFL and editorial world.

    It can be done, and it would fire this place up. Calculating the returns for such an investment is the hard part. There is potential here, I just don't know how much. the NFL tends to be vicious mercenaries towards anything that dares to take away from them. That is the big obstacle in taking this to the next step. I don't know what our potential growth in members would be.

    However, if I did buy it, it wouldn't be to piss anyone off, or to ruin the fun. I have already demonstrated my mastery of that.

  • @flugel said:

    Great read Mud!

    Bill Parcells always liked to say "you are what your record says you are." Having said that, I doubt he liked saying that very often during the first year he almost got fired taking over the dumpster fire in NY back in 1983. Back then, he had to be thinking "we are who are QB says we are." Phil Simms got hurt early on as Scott Brunner QBed them to 3-9. How much did they need LT off the edge when they didn't have very many leads to protect?

    It's tough to make very many conclusions about a rookie FO; but I liked getting 3 first round picks in 2016. I also like knowing we have 2 picks in round 1 and 3 in round 2 next year (that's 5 picks). It's also been said it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft while we're waiting to see which way things go with the 2 Colemans, Ogbah, DeValve, Drango, Kindred, Higgins, Nassib and Kessler. Is talent or experience their biggest enemy? Danny Shelton sure looked a lot better in his 2nd year than he did in his first right?

    As much as I thought Zeke Elliott was the best pick in the 2016 draft, there's been periods of time Crow has averaged over 6 yards a carry as a rookie and early on in 2016 when both OGs were healthy/starting. As much as people like to trash our line for its pass pro, Crow ended up with 4.8 yards per carry all the while Zeke got to run behind the best line in football last year. Suffice it to say, Crow was 1 guy we didn't need to upgrade.

    Keep in mind, our first 2 picks in the 2014 draft were already out of the NFL as early as 2016 while Erving has yet to perform like a 1st round talent. The rookie FO at least got some exchange value back from Pittsburgh for Gilbert. If the FO in 2014 drafted Khalil Mack and Derek Carr especially in spots we could have drafted them - doesn't that already solve huge needs like edge rush and QB? The Raiders are really happy about their overall impact to their turn around and rightfully so.

    Other things I like that this FO has done are:

    Traded for Jamie Collins and gave him a new contract.

    Gave Bitonio a new contract.

    Gave Kirksey a new contract.

    They brought in Zeitler as well as enough competition to upgrade the 1st round Center Farmer drafted.

    Got rid of Candy Lee.

    I'd like to add Gregg Williams but he already clarified in his presser Hue is the reason he's here.

    Unfortunately, I HATE 1-15 football so the biggest question this FO has to answer is - Can you draft?

    Tom, here is the Cliffs notes version of your post, at least as I see it.

    By having a lot of picks, even if we are average at talent assessment, we win. However, early results would indicate that we did have some success at adding some talent. Not yet the big offensive playmakers, but for sure an improvement.

    My two cents is that the FO recognizes we need a franchise QB. Going big in the draft is still the best chance of finding the guy, but statistically it isn't a guarantee. This task is at best, a crap shoot. So do you gamble it all on a roll of the dice, or do you keep some chips in your bank and play something a little less risky?

    There is no right or wrong answer here. There is no guarantee. The Browns FO, by taking Kizer has kept some chips for other rolls, and at the same time, put the team in the game. Like Kizer or not, his pick gives the Browns a potential upside of finding the QB solution we seek. If he does pan out, given that we won't have to go big for a QB next year, we keep a pile of chips and wind up looking like geniuses. If he doesn't pan out, we have chips to roll again.

    I am pulling for the kid. He has as good of a chance as anyone else.

    @ghoolie said:

    Tom, here is the Cliffs notes version of your post, at least as I see it.

    By having a lot of picks, even if we are average at talent assessment, we win. However, early results would indicate that we did have some success at adding some talent. Not yet the big offensive playmakers, but for sure an improvement.

    My two cents is that the FO recognizes we need a franchise QB. Going big in the draft is still the best chance of finding the guy, but statistically it isn't a guarantee. This task is at best, a crap shoot. So do you gamble it all on a roll of the dice, or do you keep some chips in your bank and play something a little less risky?

    There is no right or wrong answer here. There is no guarantee. The Browns FO, by taking Kizer has kept some chips for other rolls, and at the same time, put the team in the game. Like Kizer or not, his pick gives the Browns a potential upside of finding the QB solution we seek. If he does pan out, given that we won't have to go big for a QB next year, we keep a pile of chips and wind up looking like geniuses. If he doesn't pan out, we have chips to roll again.

    I am pulling for the kid. He has as good of a chance as anyone else.

    Not bad. This wasn't supposed to be a very good year to need a franchise QB in terms of the supply and demand. They all had enough flaws to be considered projects at best by many draft analysts, scouts, etc. IMO, a team in our shoes can't afford to look for a needle in the haystack with first round QBs at the expense of better players that could help us. I have concerns about Kizer; BUT I really liked getting 3 first round picks in the house before we added him in round 2. One of them might be our next QB's best help (Njoku). He also might be a lot better than many like me are giving him credit for.

    It's no secret that QB remains the most important position in football. As we saw in our Terry Bradshaw debate - his first year on a bad team ended with him throwing only 6 TD passes to 24 INTs at passer rating of 30. This era doesn't give QBs 6 years of growing pains and patience so I'm relieved the FO has built up the volumes of 1st and 2nd round picks in 2017 and 2018 (in terms of what we can put around our QB). Like the lyrics say: "Pump up the volume, pump up the volume, pump up the volume..." We can definitely make this a more QB friendly setting via the draft and FA. Not for nothing, if our defense improves to the extent they can stop people, produce turnovers and score points - it helps our QB a lot better than giving him a 7-0 deficit 2-3 minutes into a game.

    It's all boiling down to - Can this FO draft? It's now 2 drafts old so we're going to find out real soon. In the meantime, I don't see anything good coming out of widespread negativity in a place that has already lost its franchise. None of these new players coming in have anything to do with the bad drafting that has gone on here since 1999. I doubt any of them want to experience growing pains or fail on their life long dreams either. That's just my 2 cents...

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ditto... but I've been fooled before.

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

    @orion said:

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

    Point taken... but I'm giving it another month.

  • In order to answer that question I have to ask this 1. How any of the players they drafted anywhere close to being in contention for rookie of the year? Any of them?

    Anyway the ones we drafted this year haven't played a snap yet so who knows?

    WSS

  • @orion said:

    Actually, if he's serious about acquiring TBB then he can't very well continue as the biggest hater of all things Cleveland Browns can he? He would want to attract fans and not try to make them disgusted with ownership, the FO, the coach(es), the drafted players, the FA players, the existing players, the water boy, the toilet cleaners, parking attendants, etc. etc.

    Point taken... but I'm giving it another month.

    @tour2ma said:

    Point taken... but I'm giving it another month.

    ...wise man.

  • Well done Mud.

    This front office hasn't proven anything yet and some in here will say, "give it time", which should be the Browns Fan Motto

  • In order to answer that question I have to ask this 1. How any of the players they drafted anywhere close to being in contention for rookie of the year? Any of them?

    Anyway the ones we drafted this year haven't played a snap yet so who knows?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    In order to answer that question I have to ask this 1. How any of the players they drafted anywhere close to being in contention for rookie of the year? Any of them?

    Anyway the ones we drafted this year haven't played a snap yet so who knows?

    WSS

    Per one report that I saw said that none of the Browns rookies last year even rated among the top 50 rookie performers in 2016. So, there is that. Whether or not some of these guys will come around remains to be seen.

  • @westside-steve said:

    In order to answer that question I have to ask this 1. How any of the players they drafted anywhere close to being in contention for rookie of the year? Any of them?

    Anyway the ones we drafted this year haven't played a snap yet so who knows?

    WSS

    Per one report that I saw said that none of the Browns rookies last year even rated among the top 50 rookie performers in 2016. So, there is that. Whether or not some of these guys will come around remains to be seen.

    @the-gipper said:

    Per one report that I saw said that none of the Browns rookies last year even rated among the top 50 rookie performers in 2016. So, there is that. Whether or not some of these guys will come around remains to be seen.

    Keep this in mind Gips, Antonio Brown only had 16 receptions for 167 yards 10.4 ypc 0 TD when he was a rookie. Should I give a rat where he ranked that year overall? Or, should I worry more about where he has continued to rank at WR overall the last 5 years or so? Yes, many in here would have concluded that the best WR in football today should have been cut because he needed a second year to emerge. That's the type of crowd you really want to follow jumping off a high bridge; because you just know they were thorough enough to see how deep the water was and if there were any huge rocks or objects to beware below...