Gerbil Peppers Signs
-
@boo-fagley said:
I wonder how that works?
I always assumed that the Player and Agent got the full signing bonus upon signing the deal.
Can be the case if it helps cap-wise, but pro-rated over the contract period is the norm.
-
Browns waive Atkinson III and Add Brandon Wilds. I liked this guy's play at S.Carolina. Could be a sleeper. Underrated as a pass catcher out of the backfield.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/browns-sign-brandon-wilds-waive-george-atkinson-iii/
-
Atkinson...the RB? Surprised about that. Thought they liked him a lot.
-
And his jersey is on the Shop now. Finally
When he makes the Hall of Fame and the number is retired, I may consider it. Probably not. Hell, I still have not purchased a Jim Brown jersey.
By the way...what number is he going to wear?
When he makes the Hall of Fame and the number is retired, I may consider it. Probably not. Hell, I still have not purchased a Jim Brown jersey.
By the way...what number is he going to wear?
I've got Jim Brown cornhole bags, they're awesome. 4 brown ones with white 32 and Brown on it and 4 white ones with brown 32 and Brown on them.
-
@boo-fagley said:
Yes, but for tax purposes Hoorta mentions spreading it out.
I do not see how that would work when the player has the money in hand. and if theyre smart, they invest wisely so it gains interest.
Simple, tax-bracket math vs. return on investment...
Peppers bonus was $5,661,624. Assuming the tax rates stay the same the next four years, then spreading the payments over four years saves about 2.3%... not a high investment return barrier even if 39.6% of the return goes to taxes, but not short-term, CD territory.
Then there's the question of whether the rates will stay the same? Who knows... and if they change, which direction will the top rate move?
-
@boo-fagley said:
So, an NFL signing bonus is not paid in full upon both parties signing the contract?
I have heard of NFL teams going after players to return signing bonus money for breach of contract. Seems like team X would be withholding annual signing bonus payment that player X is due which I have never heard of.
What happens if a player suddenly dies in the prime of his NFL career? Does his unpaid annual signing bonus go to next of kin?
On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.
This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.
-
Who Gipper? Well good lawyers are now what $300? $400 per hour?@boo-fagley said:
How much will he charge us for a consultation?
Can you get us a deal?
I've got an MBA with a dual major in finance and management but did have some good business law courses covering primarily contracts not torts along with labor law, legislation, negotiations, etc.
I'd give it a shot but for serious business recommend seeing a lawyer....hey they're nice folks too!

....oh I am retired too, lots of time on my hands to fool around with stuff or just watch sports! I highly recommend it.

-
-
@boo-fagley said:
So, an NFL signing bonus is not paid in full upon both parties signing the contract?
I have heard of NFL teams going after players to return signing bonus money for breach of contract. Seems like team X would be withholding annual signing bonus payment that player X is due which I have never heard of.
What happens if a player suddenly dies in the prime of his NFL career? Does his unpaid annual signing bonus go to next of kin?
On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.
This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.
On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.
This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.
Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.
-
On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.
This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.
Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.
Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.
I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.
This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.
-
Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.
I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.
This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.
I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.
This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.
You are talking apples and hubcaps. I am talking about what could happen to the balance of a signing bonus in the event of a death. You are apparently talking about events that could happen wherein part of a player's signing bonus....that has not yet been paid, could be forfeited or diminished by that players actions.
Two totally different matters......UNLESS.....it was that players actions/behavior that caused his death. Such as a Don Rogers situation? Kills himself with cocaine or other drugs...or kills himself drunk driving...or the like. I am of the opinion that the team would likely NOT forfeit a players balance remaining due on a signing bonus if he died under such circumstances....so as not to "harm" the players family. But, you never know. A guy like Art Modell may have tried that....but I don't know is there are any Art Modell like owners in the NFL these days.....are there?
-
Atkinson...the RB? Surprised about that. Thought they liked him a lot.
Atkinson...the RB? Surprised about that. Thought they liked him a lot.
I think that I heard that he got picked up by the Raiders.
-
as far as ATkinson - my guess is, that Wilds offers a more complete
skillset. He's bigger. No big deal, says here he could be on the practice squad...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login