Skip to content

Gerbil Peppers Signs

The Browns Board
208 37 5.5k
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @boo-fagley said:

    So, an NFL signing bonus is not paid in full upon both parties signing the contract?

    I have heard of NFL teams going after players to return signing bonus money for breach of contract. Seems like team X would be withholding annual signing bonus payment that player X is due which I have never heard of.

    What happens if a player suddenly dies in the prime of his NFL career? Does his unpaid annual signing bonus go to next of kin?

    On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

    This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @boo-fagley said:

    How much will he charge us for a consultation?

    Can you get us a deal?

    Who Gipper? Well good lawyers are now what $300? $400 per hour?

    I've got an MBA with a dual major in finance and management but did have some good business law courses covering primarily contracts not torts along with labor law, legislation, negotiations, etc.

    I'd give it a shot but for serious business recommend seeing a lawyer....hey they're nice folks too! 😉

    ....oh I am retired too, lots of time on my hands to fool around with stuff or just watch sports! I highly recommend it. 😆

  • S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by

    Our whole team could hold out if they looked as good as bosa did.

    Maybe we'll get nick in a few years.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    So, an NFL signing bonus is not paid in full upon both parties signing the contract?

    I have heard of NFL teams going after players to return signing bonus money for breach of contract. Seems like team X would be withholding annual signing bonus payment that player X is due which I have never heard of.

    What happens if a player suddenly dies in the prime of his NFL career? Does his unpaid annual signing bonus go to next of kin?

    On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

    This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @mjp28 said:

    On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

    This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

    Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

  • @mjp28 said:

    On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

    This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

    Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

    I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.

    This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

    I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.

    This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.

    This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.

    You are talking apples and hubcaps. I am talking about what could happen to the balance of a signing bonus in the event of a death. You are apparently talking about events that could happen wherein part of a player's signing bonus....that has not yet been paid, could be forfeited or diminished by that players actions.

    Two totally different matters......UNLESS.....it was that players actions/behavior that caused his death. Such as a Don Rogers situation? Kills himself with cocaine or other drugs...or kills himself drunk driving...or the like. I am of the opinion that the team would likely NOT forfeit a players balance remaining due on a signing bonus if he died under such circumstances....so as not to "harm" the players family. But, you never know. A guy like Art Modell may have tried that....but I don't know is there are any Art Modell like owners in the NFL these days.....are there?

  • Atkinson...the RB? Surprised about that. Thought they liked him a lot.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Atkinson...the RB? Surprised about that. Thought they liked him a lot.

    I think that I heard that he got picked up by the Raiders.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    as far as ATkinson - my guess is, that Wilds offers a more complete

    skillset. He's bigger. No big deal, says here he could be on the practice squad...

    http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/29/new-rb-brandon-wilds-brings-size-receiving-skills-to-browns-backfield/