Marcus' Fishing Thread
-
-
For crappie, a jig with a hot pink head & white or black body (2" swirl tail grub) has always been my "go to" for large (12" plus) crappie. Suspend it under a float & a slow, steady retrieve.
Mike
-
Nice cat!
Mike
Thanks. Was the most fun catch I've had all summer. I thought it was a Bass the way he fought. It even broke water on me twice. Got the ol' adrenaline going that's for sure.
-
For crappie, a jig with a hot pink head & white or black body (2" swirl tail grub) has always been my "go to" for large (12" plus) crappie. Suspend it under a float & a slow, steady retrieve.
Mike
For crappie, a jig with a hot pink head & white or black body (2" swirl tail grub) has always been my "go to" for large (12" plus) crappie. Suspend it under a float & a slow, steady retrieve.
Mike
I've got to pick some of those up.
-
For crappie, a jig with a hot pink head & white or black body (2" swirl tail grub) has always been my "go to" for large (12" plus) crappie. Suspend it under a float & a slow, steady retrieve.
Mike
I've got to pick some of those up.
I've got to pick some of those up.
Get 1/8 oz w/barb. You can find 'em on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-oz-Pink-jig-heads-100ct-w-1-Bronze-Aberdeen-Eagle-Claw-hook-/272755526984?hash=item3f817f0d48:g:UgUAAOSwA3dYWoFk
These are nice jigs, good seller & great price. You can get the 1 1/2" & 2" swirl tails (white and/or black) from Bass Pro, etc.
Mike
-
While I am not a Fisherman (my son is).....I could think of no place on the planet cooler to go fishing than in the Firehole River of Yellowstone National Park. I have been there a couple of times and saw guys fishing, but did none myself.
http://www.flyfishingyellowstonenationalpark.com/

-
I've never fly fished....too much like work.

But lures or occasional ol' bobber and bait, a cold one and the Indians on the radio isn't bad either.
-
The only way I fish for bluegill is with a fly rod & one of 4 or 5 flies that I tie. It's really not like work & VERY effective.
Mike
I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

-
The only way I fish for bluegill is with a fly rod & one of 4 or 5 flies that I tie. It's really not like work & VERY effective.
Mike
I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

The only time I fish from a boat is in Lake Erie for perch, walleye, and/or smallmouth bass maybe once every couple years. I mostly fish ponds, always with my chair & cooler full of beer & always include some Yuenglings for my old friend Ned (the pond owner).

Mike
-
I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

The only time I fish from a boat is in Lake Erie for perch, walleye, and/or smallmouth bass maybe once every couple years. I mostly fish ponds, always with my chair & cooler full of beer & always include some Yuenglings for my old friend Ned (the pond owner).

Mike
The only time I fish from a boat is in Lake Erie for perch, walleye, and/or smallmouth bass maybe once every couple years. I mostly fish ponds, always with my chair & cooler full of beer & always include some Yuenglings for my old friend Ned (the pond owner).

Mike
I absolutely love walleye fishing in Erie.
-
The only time I fish from a boat is in Lake Erie for perch, walleye, and/or smallmouth bass maybe once every couple years. I mostly fish ponds, always with my chair & cooler full of beer & always include some Yuenglings for my old friend Ned (the pond owner).

Mike
I absolutely love walleye fishing in Erie.
-
The only way I fish for bluegill is with a fly rod & one of 4 or 5 flies that I tie. It's really not like work & VERY effective.
Mike
I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

It seems to me that fly fishing would be the way to go. Otherwise, just throwing a line into the water and waiting and watching for something to bite is boring as hell. With fly fishing you are actively doing something all the time. I took my son to Montana to go fly fishing....and while he was remarkably unsuccessful at catching anything, he/we had a great time.
-
I'm sure there are many fly fishermen who love their sport but personally I've always preferred a nice bank even more than a boat for my fishing.....
.....especially if there's a nice lake about 1/4 mile from your house.

It seems to me that fly fishing would be the way to go. Otherwise, just throwing a line into the water and waiting and watching for something to bite is boring as hell. With fly fishing you are actively doing something all the time. I took my son to Montana to go fly fishing....and while he was remarkably unsuccessful at catching anything, he/we had a great time.
It seems to me that fly fishing would be the way to go. Otherwise, just throwing a line into the water and waiting and watching for something to bite is boring as hell. With fly fishing you are actively doing something all the time. I took my son to Montana to go fly fishing....and while he was remarkably unsuccessful at catching anything, he/we had a great time.
With my daredevil lures you have to cast everytime just no whatever they do with fly fishing wearing hip boots in the water.
And fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
-
It seems to me that fly fishing would be the way to go. Otherwise, just throwing a line into the water and waiting and watching for something to bite is boring as hell. With fly fishing you are actively doing something all the time. I took my son to Montana to go fly fishing....and while he was remarkably unsuccessful at catching anything, he/we had a great time.
With my daredevil lures you have to cast everytime just no whatever they do with fly fishing wearing hip boots in the water.
And fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
With my daredevil lures you have to cast everytime just no whatever they do with fly fishing wearing hip boots in the water.
And fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
You do not have to fly fish wearing hip boots. You don't have to go into the water. Sometimes, yes, but you can fly fish from the bank. I and my son have done so....though he was prepared to go into the water.
And, is it supposed to be relaxing? Perhaps if that is what you want, then plopping a line in the water with a bobber on it is for you. But for others, fly fishing is supposed to be somewhat exciting....like some other sports. Like golf. Is golf really "relaxing"? Or playing pickup basketball. Or skiing...or whatever. Lots of different sports are far from relaxing.
-
With my daredevil lures you have to cast everytime just no whatever they do with fly fishing wearing hip boots in the water.
And fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
You do not have to fly fish wearing hip boots. You don't have to go into the water. Sometimes, yes, but you can fly fish from the bank. I and my son have done so....though he was prepared to go into the water.
And, is it supposed to be relaxing? Perhaps if that is what you want, then plopping a line in the water with a bobber on it is for you. But for others, fly fishing is supposed to be somewhat exciting....like some other sports. Like golf. Is golf really "relaxing"? Or playing pickup basketball. Or skiing...or whatever. Lots of different sports are far from relaxing.
You do not have to fly fish wearing hip boots. You don't have to go into the water. Sometimes, yes, but you can fly fish from the bank. I and my son have done so....though he was prepared to go into the water.
And, is it supposed to be relaxing? Perhaps if that is what you want, then plopping a line in the water with a bobber on it is for you. But for others, fly fishing is supposed to be somewhat exciting....like some other sports. Like golf. Is golf really "relaxing"? Or playing pickup basketball. Or skiing...or whatever. Lots of different sports are far from relaxing.
Yeah I imagine in smaller streams fly fishing from a bank would be possible even though most pictures show the fly guys in waist deep water.
And yes on any recreational sport I guess the degree of relaxing versus excitement would be up to the individual person. I personally liked fishing out with nature, very relaxing actually it was unless you hooked something like an old boot.

I'm sure some people find jumping out of a perfectly good airplane....relaxing?
-
Don't know if this will show up, but this is one of the streams in Montana that my son fished in. May have to click on the icon.
Edit...it doesn't seem to want to show up. The stream in question was a smaller stream...in the prairie, not in the mountains. They have a lot of trout streams that run through the prairies as well.
-
too bad... when we go out west one of these days, I would probably would have wanted to get there
and see that stream. I bet it's gorgeous.
-
I'll be back home for a little while. My dad just passed away yesterday evening. After the funeral I plan to hit Mosquito Lake in Courtland. It was one my Dad's favorite places to fish. I plan to go throw a few lines in and reminisce. Might go to Lake Milton as well, we had some memories there too. He was my original fishing buddy. ThIs has been a tough weekend.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login