Skip to content

Big Gay Soccer Thread

Barber Shop Talk
270 33 11.7k
  • I happened to google arsenal because it was only one of two English soccer teams I've ever heard of. The other was Manchester united. Upon googling them I noticed they were the tenth ranked team in the world. Nothing more than that.

  • You can't choose Arsenal because they are only one of two teams you've ever heard of in England?! Well, you can....but if it's glory you hope for you're backing the wrong horse. If you're determined to follow shit (Arse, Manure) you'd be better going for manure and then you'd have a rivalry with Gipper as Liverpool and Manure are bitter enemies. Youd have a shit rivalry Poo v Manure! ?

  • Oh don't get me wrong. I have no intention of following any soccer team foreign or domestic. The game does nothing for me. Hockey either. Basketball and (American) football is where my loyalties lie.

  • I only watched the Olympic version and whIle it can be an amusing diversion I wasn't vested in it at all. I do expect it to pick up steam here in light of the concussion concerns in football but that's for my kids to deal with.

  • I happened to google arsenal because it was only one of two English soccer teams I've ever heard of. The other was Manchester united. Upon googling them I noticed they were the tenth ranked team in the world. Nothing more than that.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I happened to google arsenal because it was only one of two English soccer teams I've ever heard of. The other was Manchester united. Upon googling them I noticed they were the tenth ranked team in the world. Nothing more than that.

    I kind of like the name though: Arsenal. Sounds "tough". You know: this is where we keep stuff that blows shit up. How did they get the name?

  • I only watched the Olympic version and whIle it can be an amusing diversion I wasn't vested in it at all. I do expect it to pick up steam here in light of the concussion concerns in football but that's for my kids to deal with.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I only watched the Olympic version and whIle it can be an amusing diversion I wasn't vested in it at all. I do expect it to pick up steam here in light of the concussion concerns in football but that's for my kids to deal with.

    FYI.....I heard the statistic: more kids here get concussions playing soccer than do playing football. I don't know if kids are kicking each other in the head a lot or what. In football at least they wear a helmet for protection.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I happened to google arsenal because it was only one of two English soccer teams I've ever heard of. The other was Manchester united. Upon googling them I noticed they were the tenth ranked team in the world. Nothing more than that.

    I kind of like the name though: Arsenal. Sounds "tough". You know: this is where we keep stuff that blows shit up. How did they get the name?

    @the-gipper said:

    I kind of like the name though: Arsenal. Sounds "tough". You know: this is where we keep stuff that blows shit up. How did they get the name?

    They were originally workers from the woolwich arsenal 'guns n shit' factory.

    That's one thing I like about soccer, the teams have organic roots, like west ham as we talked about before.

  • I like their nickname..... "The Gunners" but I don't like them as a team though

  • I didn't realize Columbus had a team. If they do, and you didn't just make that up, I hope they win.

    is that considered Support?

    WSS

  • I didn't realize Columbus had a team. If they do, and you didn't just make that up, I hope they win.

    is that considered Support?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I didn't realize Columbus had a team. If they do, and you didn't just make that up, I hope they win.

    is that considered Support?

    WSS

    They do have a team, I did not make it up....they played for the MLS title, but lost to Portland.

  • Well, with this move....and the move of the Rams also to LA.....guess who may be in line to fill the void in those cities: yes, the "gay" sport. The MLS is looking at being at 28 teams by around 2020-2022.

    Prime MLS expansion targets are: St. Louis, which the NFL abandoned, Sacramento...which, if the Raiders move to LV, it along with Oakland which constitutes the "East Bay" fan base of the Raiders. San Antonio/Austin, Raleigh, Tampa, Detroit....and now, I suspect San Diego could easily be high on the list to put an MLS team in. Huge Hispanic, soccer oriented population....no competing "real" football team.

    The MLS is already in the largest 3-4 non NFL markets: Portland, Orlando, Columbus, Salt Lake

    Going into Sacramento and San Diego and San Antonio and St. Louis and Raleigh would put them into like 8 of the 30-32 largest Metropolitan areas in the US....with no NFL competition in those markets (plus they are in Toronto and Montreal)

    The largest metro area in the country that an MLS team is not in is Detroit (#10 largest metro area)...and Detroit is also on the target list for MLS expansion.

    If an MLS team went into Detroit, guess which metropolitan area would be the largest without an MLS team? Answer: Cleveland/Akron/Canton.

  • Couldn't resist?

  • Is "soccer" gay? Is this a trick question? 😆

    Soccer, recess for big kids.

  • The point of my post above is that I think it is unjustifiable for the NFL to cede those markets mentioned above to the "gay" sport.

    Of the 25 largest metropolitan areas in the USA, the NFL is absent from 6 of them.

    After proposed expansion, the MLS will be absent only from at most 2-3, including Cleveland

  • Yea soccer's pretty gay

  • I raise the glass of Laphroaig I'm drinking right now to them. Cheers!

    @deputydawg said:

    I raise the glass of Laphroaig I'm drinking right now to them. Cheers!

    Good stuff, I have a bottle of Lagavulin here.

    WSS

  • Yes:

    19380_247637206149_7246082_n.jpg?oh=1a00

  • At least the soccer players aren't rolling around on th floor in their underwear like UFC guys

  • The ignorant lead the charge yet again

    Let soccer grow while baseball dies

  • Right. In your dreams.