Skip to content

Game 1...Good, Bad & Ugly 2017

The Browns Board
44 23 1.4k
  • Erving can never complain about not getting enough chances.

    @sd_tom said:

    Erving can never complain about not getting enough chances.

    Thats an understatement......

  • Great write up Mud, enjoyed reading it. Honestly my number one concern with this team now is WR. Buffalo gobbbled up my boy Matthews yesterday. This team doesn't need to wait for cuts to find a WR they need to aggressively move on one now.

  • Nice Mud. Williams said he only used 16 out of 45 packages on D. Right tackle will be the weak point in the o line this year. Not too concerned with the run game. The receivers have to show something next game. No diamonds in the rough there.

  • Normally for me a pre-season record doesn't mean much and I wouldn't read too much into it but I would agree with most here that in the Browns case it does matter they start out well. Just in the past I have seen teams lose in pre-season and go out and do well in the regular season and vice versa.

    Nice write up as always Mudfly. I also liked the aggressiveness I saw on defense. My biggest concern has also been discussed with the wide receivers. I thought every wide receiver learned in wide receiver school 101 to drag that second foot when going out of bounds? Anyway the qb's will always get the blame but we need some receivers who can get some separation. Over all though I was pleased with this team's performance and it seems like we are a team on the way up.

  • Erving can never complain about not getting enough chances.

    @sd_tom said:

    Erving can never complain about not getting enough chances.

    @mudfly said:

    Thats an understatement......

    @lbc-mike said:

    Right tackle will be the weak point in the o line this year. Not too concerned with the run game.

    Maybe some light at the end of the Tunnel? After 3rd re-watch,yes against 2's & 3's but..Kizer's two bombs to Mullaney are OL was LT-Johnson,LG-Durango,C-Fabinio,LG-Greco, RT-ZACH STERUP #79 a 6'9" 323lbs. CornHusker..Played on both KC's & Jets PS, but from what I could see from him in 2nd Half Zach Sterup deserves some looks at next level up in Practice THIS Week..If or when he takes Cam's spot at #2RT Zoolie may get the ugliest #79 Jersey..come on' lighting in a tunnel..

  • Did this Good, bad, ugly thing last season too and this years version looks to have more good and less ugly.....I know it's only game 1 of the pre-season and it's very popular(cliche?) to say it doesnt matter....but it does. THATS why we play these games....cause it's how the coaches(and us) can evaluate who looks best in game action. And while many like to say it's vanilla...and it's early...and the team will gel and look different come the regular season, history indicates thats not really true....they typically look and play about the same......so, without further adieu, lets tear into what we witnessed Thursday night......

    THE GOOD:

    1) We won!!!....and YES, it matters. One thing I preached on last season is that winning matters. Always! Losing breeds losing and winning breeds confidence, which then becomes more winning. So, had we lost, it would have been a mental let down.....especially since Hue stated that was one of our primary goals for this first game. Im glad for Hue that we got the win, because he was playing with fire saying it was his primary objective. Plus, everything "seems" better with a win. So A+++++ on that!

    2) The D did look more aggressive and I love D......Ive had my fingers crossed that Williams would get these guys flying around and, so far, looks like he's making a difference. I will say that they did not look great, but will delve into that later.....

    3) Some individual players stood out and gave me hope for their futures.....

    • Nate Orchard....a guy Ive been hoping gets an honest chance(which he didnt get last season).....he stood out....made plays....was in on 2 sacks....and showed why he should be here. Hue needs to take note and keep Nate around.
    • Trevin Coley.....a guy weve been hearing is doing well, but know very little about. Well, he got noticed this week. Looks like a fire plug and I liked what I saw.
    • Mathew Dayes....saw very little of him, but he did look good carrying(and catching) the ball.
    • Myles Garrett.....I keyed in on him(of course) and LOVED what I saw. This guy will live up to his billing. Gonna give us some excitement and scare the piss out of opposing teams.
    • Boddy-Calhoun....looks ike he's picking up where he left off last season....which is good. Our Db's still look awful, so it's encouraging to see a young guy who may step up and be a player for us. If he continues at this rate, Id expect him to challenge Taylor for the starters position before the year is out.
    • Kizer....looked better than expected and gives me hope that he could develop into a good one....just one game, but what we saw is a hell of a lot better than seeing shit, then making excuses for the shit we saw. I like rookies who play well immediately(ala Garrett too) and show "why" they were drafted....instead of rookies who play like shit and expect us to wait 3 years before evaluating that shit we saw.....
    • Joe Schobert....the complete opposite of what we saw last year. Looked quick and decisive, instead of slow and indecisive. The move to MLB was a smart one. Good for Greg Williams to see this and make the change.

    4) Big plays....bottom line......We saw some big plays at exactly the right moments. The D made some big stops, got some turnovers, had a goal line stand.....And the O pulled it out of their ass to get the win.....These are things that have been missing for a while now. They are difference between winning and losing......as we usually give them up, instead of making them. The only negative here is that "most" of this big play stuff happened with the backups and very little(none?) was done by the first team.....more on that later....

    So....THE GOOD showed we have some players....some fire....and the ability to overcome adversity and win......a great start for a team that just lost 19 out of 20 games!

    THE BAD:

    1) Generally speaking....our first team did not look good. Offense or defense......the O was fairly stagnant and the D gave up big chunks, both running and passing.

    • The D line was not good and did not stop the run. Shelton and Bryant(2 vets) were basically shut down and allowed them to run at will. Was very VERY disappointed with their performance.
    • The offense was about the same. We did not move the ball well....running or passing....and that worries me. Its almost as if we played 2 games.....where the 1st team lost and the reserves won.

    2) Wide receivers.....a sore point with me....so I was really hoping to see some flash from Coleman...or Britt.....or Louis(who we've been hearing about).....but, alas, they all looked like shit. Absolute crap. Britt made error after error.....Coleman was invisible and ALWAYS covered.....and Louis did nothing to impress me. Sadly, I am certain we do not have the right guys here and it will be a long season for our QB's, who will be scanning....scanning....scanning....looking for someone to get the ball to. Not good......at all.

    Note #1: is Rashard Higgins even on the team?.......I thought this guy was gonna be a star...hahahaha

    Note #2: You know things are bad when a RB has to be your 3rd receiver. Its just the truth folks.

    3) Tackles.....still extremely worried about our RT position.....Coleman and Erving both played poorly.

    4) DB's....another area I think we knew was gonna be weak....and it is. The Saints, under pressure, passed at will....twice marching right down the field....completion after completion. We showed little to no coverage skills.....it was terrible. And we didnt even see Drew Brees. Imagine if it was a good QB playing....reminds me of last year, when the Pack did the same....without Rodgers....

    So...in a nut shell....the Bad is that our first team did not do well.....all the good stuff happened later and was done by 2nd - 3rd and 4th teamers.....against the same.....Our DB's and WR's look as terrible as I prayed they wouldnt.....and RT(the same).....

    The Ugly:

    1) Cam Erving....Why does Hue keep playing this guy?????.....it's insane.

    2) Wr's.......see above

    3) Penalties.....shit loads of stupid dumb ass penalties.....it was terrible!....Hue needs to fix this immediately.

    Summary....overall, I was pleasantly surprised and VERY happy to notch a win. Early returns indicate we (finally) drafted a couple first rounders who will show up. But. clearly, our first team needs to play better and I cannot get excited about how they looked against the Aints first teamers....still.....stepping in the right direction....but seriously deficient in several important areas.....

    Lets see how things go against the Giants, as they are a much better team than the Aints....

    Go Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    1) As the board's top Curmudgeon I would like to condense and comment on a few important and good points you made. THanks by the way for breaking this down. It is really a pain for me being in Memphis with regards to staying in touch with the Browns. Comcast only gives me the RedZone option, and Sunday's are for spending with my wife, so you guys are a lot of what I got.

    My biggest issue is DeShone Kizer. I would not have chosen him, but thus far it is Kizer 1, Ghoolie 0, and I have to tell you, I love it. Forget his shortcommings. He has wow factor, and putting our prejudices for players aside, we all have to admit, it has been a long, long time since our hopeful expectations for wow, were actually met with some real wow.

    I don't like Hue. Hue should have known from day one that Kizer is the guy who needs to get all the attention. Front and center, early on. Let's be honest, who here ever said "yeah, wow" when we acquired AssOiler? Kizer can wow. The rest can't and we know this. So why fuck around trying to go 4 - 12 with a blah veteran? I will gladly cheer for the 1 - 15 2017 Browns if it involves abanodning our fear of losing.

    KIZER KIZER KIZER..............cut this fucking kid loose. Let he fuck up, shine, amaze, disappoint and learn. I just cannot get excited about a team that features AssOiler, Kessler or any of the other duds we have.

    2) Your comments about the D and line, and specifically the line play fall into what I have blabbered on all along.

    I do not believe this year's OL will look any different than last years. I believe OL are a dime-a-dozen and while the OL is vital, OL play is not going to be affected greatly by changing fatasses. We have done this for 17 years now and it doesn't get better. Until our QB and skilled positions give opposing defenses many variables to account for, their schemes will keep players focused on the short area near/at the line. Sorry bro, but no 5 men can block 8. It is just never going to happen.

    KIZER, KIZER and MORE KIZER............That is the only factor that will help the OL improve.

    Flugels went on and on about WIlliams creating a killer D, and your comments, in conjunction with other writers commemorates a passive D, that looked no more tough and aggressive than last year's. I will say it again, killer instinct is natural for most defensive players. They have had fire-breathing DC's their entire football lives, from pee-pee leagues on forward. The Browns D has never had an attitude problem. They has been no quit, just fatigue and frustration in our D.

    Until the D is first focused on discipline, Not making mistakes and being workmanlike as opposed to kamikaze-like, I don't believe WIlliams D will be any different than the last guy's, we will see.

    3) I have despised the Corey Coleman pick from day 1. It isn't his size, it is that he is a physically meaningless player. His college career was played basically in a touch football style. He likes the outside routes, and you saw what I have said all along, he is just too physically weak to win the outside routes in the NFL. Add to this that he drops a lot of passes between the numbers, and you have a recipe for failure.Had we kept Pryor and got Gordon into the game? Then Coleman would be an okay pick. But he is not a #1 guy and the pendejos left in the WR corps? C'mon, there is no upside there.

    D) ( I know, it isn't 1,2,3, D, it's 1,2,3,4) The Browns, like all 31 other teams just played a professional NFL game against other NFL players. It doesn't matter who played, who rested, or which units were in. The Browns play in the NFL and this week they won against another NFL team based on a level playing field, with all the same options available to the coaches.

    People can't judge the Browns this week on what if. What if Brees played? Fuck Brees, What if Kizer started? Maybe we win 56 - 14. The Browns won, Kizer made us say wow, and he made plays. If that isn't a major change for this team, then I'll shave my twat.

    @mudfly said:

    Did this Good, bad, ugly thing last season too and this years version looks to have more good and less ugly.....I know it's only game 1 of the pre-season and it's very popular(cliche?) to say it doesnt matter....but it does. THATS why we play these games....cause it's how the coaches(and us) can evaluate who looks best in game action. And while many like to say it's vanilla...and it's early...and the team will gel and look different come the regular season, history indicates thats not really true....they typically look and play about the same......so, without further adieu, lets tear into what we witnessed Thursday night......

    THE GOOD:

    1) We won!!!....and YES, it matters. One thing I preached on last season is that winning matters. Always! Losing breeds losing and winning breeds confidence, which then becomes more winning. So, had we lost, it would have been a mental let down.....especially since Hue stated that was one of our primary goals for this first game. Im glad for Hue that we got the win, because he was playing with fire saying it was his primary objective. Plus, everything "seems" better with a win. So A+++++ on that!

    2) The D did look more aggressive and I love D......Ive had my fingers crossed that Williams would get these guys flying around and, so far, looks like he's making a difference. I will say that they did not look great, but will delve into that later.....

    3) Some individual players stood out and gave me hope for their futures.....

    • Nate Orchard....a guy Ive been hoping gets an honest chance(which he didnt get last season).....he stood out....made plays....was in on 2 sacks....and showed why he should be here. Hue needs to take note and keep Nate around.
    • Trevin Coley.....a guy weve been hearing is doing well, but know very little about. Well, he got noticed this week. Looks like a fire plug and I liked what I saw.
    • Mathew Dayes....saw very little of him, but he did look good carrying(and catching) the ball.
    • Myles Garrett.....I keyed in on him(of course) and LOVED what I saw. This guy will live up to his billing. Gonna give us some excitement and scare the piss out of opposing teams.
    • Boddy-Calhoun....looks ike he's picking up where he left off last season....which is good. Our Db's still look awful, so it's encouraging to see a young guy who may step up and be a player for us. If he continues at this rate, Id expect him to challenge Taylor for the starters position before the year is out.
    • Kizer....looked better than expected and gives me hope that he could develop into a good one....just one game, but what we saw is a hell of a lot better than seeing shit, then making excuses for the shit we saw. I like rookies who play well immediately(ala Garrett too) and show "why" they were drafted....instead of rookies who play like shit and expect us to wait 3 years before evaluating that shit we saw.....
    • Joe Schobert....the complete opposite of what we saw last year. Looked quick and decisive, instead of slow and indecisive. The move to MLB was a smart one. Good for Greg Williams to see this and make the change.

    4) Big plays....bottom line......We saw some big plays at exactly the right moments. The D made some big stops, got some turnovers, had a goal line stand.....And the O pulled it out of their ass to get the win.....These are things that have been missing for a while now. They are difference between winning and losing......as we usually give them up, instead of making them. The only negative here is that "most" of this big play stuff happened with the backups and very little(none?) was done by the first team.....more on that later....

    So....THE GOOD showed we have some players....some fire....and the ability to overcome adversity and win......a great start for a team that just lost 19 out of 20 games!

    THE BAD:

    1) Generally speaking....our first team did not look good. Offense or defense......the O was fairly stagnant and the D gave up big chunks, both running and passing.

    • The D line was not good and did not stop the run. Shelton and Bryant(2 vets) were basically shut down and allowed them to run at will. Was very VERY disappointed with their performance.
    • The offense was about the same. We did not move the ball well....running or passing....and that worries me. Its almost as if we played 2 games.....where the 1st team lost and the reserves won.

    2) Wide receivers.....a sore point with me....so I was really hoping to see some flash from Coleman...or Britt.....or Louis(who we've been hearing about).....but, alas, they all looked like shit. Absolute crap. Britt made error after error.....Coleman was invisible and ALWAYS covered.....and Louis did nothing to impress me. Sadly, I am certain we do not have the right guys here and it will be a long season for our QB's, who will be scanning....scanning....scanning....looking for someone to get the ball to. Not good......at all.

    Note #1: is Rashard Higgins even on the team?.......I thought this guy was gonna be a star...hahahaha

    Note #2: You know things are bad when a RB has to be your 3rd receiver. Its just the truth folks.

    3) Tackles.....still extremely worried about our RT position.....Coleman and Erving both played poorly.

    4) DB's....another area I think we knew was gonna be weak....and it is. The Saints, under pressure, passed at will....twice marching right down the field....completion after completion. We showed little to no coverage skills.....it was terrible. And we didnt even see Drew Brees. Imagine if it was a good QB playing....reminds me of last year, when the Pack did the same....without Rodgers....

    So...in a nut shell....the Bad is that our first team did not do well.....all the good stuff happened later and was done by 2nd - 3rd and 4th teamers.....against the same.....Our DB's and WR's look as terrible as I prayed they wouldnt.....and RT(the same).....

    The Ugly:

    1) Cam Erving....Why does Hue keep playing this guy?????.....it's insane.

    2) Wr's.......see above

    3) Penalties.....shit loads of stupid dumb ass penalties.....it was terrible!....Hue needs to fix this immediately.

    Summary....overall, I was pleasantly surprised and VERY happy to notch a win. Early returns indicate we (finally) drafted a couple first rounders who will show up. But. clearly, our first team needs to play better and I cannot get excited about how they looked against the Aints first teamers....still.....stepping in the right direction....but seriously deficient in several important areas.....

    Lets see how things go against the Giants, as they are a much better team than the Aints....

    Go Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • I haven't seen and won't get to see the game so this write up is quite helpful.

    It's not surprising that our backups beat their backups. Heck, our backups beat our starters in the scrimmage.

    Sounds like on D we can't stop the run or cover the receivers. (isn't that nice)

    We're obviously gonna need our expert pass rushers to get to the QB before the receivers get to our DBs.

    I've said all along that our OL would be better JUST by the fact that Cam Erving doesn't have to play on it. But if he DOES play...then all bets are off. The RT position has been the concern. It's something that Sashi had better pay attention to in evaluating possible veteran cuts around the league. That also holds true for the WR position.

    Glad to hear that Kizer had some fun. He'll probably have some tough times too but it's good that he comes away from this game with some positive vibes....it builds confidence....which hopefully will make him focus even harder to try and steal that starting position.

    Was a nice game-winning TD pass he threw...even though it was against a future pizza maker who stumbled...but he hit the receiver with a long pass that didn't make the receiver have to stop and wait for it.

    Is the Giants game televised nationally? I think I heard it was.

    .....glad they got a win. for us, it IS important...because we've lost sooooooo often....gotta break that mental image any way they can.

  • My initial thoughts from watching the game:

    1.) Kizer looked good but let's slow the hype train. He still can't come off of his first read which scares me the most of anything. He clearly has the physical abilities and I think the mental side as well, but there are very clear flaws that good defenses are going to exploit after the first few games. Continue to give Ossweiler the job for the next game. I think some of his mistakes are not working with the first team until this week. Kizer still needs the game to slow down. If the Browns are going with Kizer, they need to do more of what the Bears did with Trubs this week, roll-outs and quick reads

    2.) Cam Erving needs to go. I was hoping there was some hidden talent but he just is not any good.

    3.) The defense is going to be good...but not until the last 6 games of the year. This team is learning how to play and they are so young. It is going to take a few games but by the end of the year, IMOP they are going to be really good...assuming they can stay healthy

    4.) There is lots of work to be done but this team is going to be much better than last year

    5.) The browns FO after 1 preseason game is starting to look like it knows how to draft and find players cut off other teams...No front office is perfect but players are starting to show real talent. I'm looking at you Peppers, Garrett, Schobert, Toley, etc.

  • From being at the game, here's what I think:

    1. Garrett is amazing. Spectacular even. He is just beginning, and he's that good. AWESOME.
    He has it all. Can stuff a play into the dirt and make it look easy. He's a five star. *****

    2. Peppers is going to be a star. His play will inspire his team like Josh Cribbs did back in the day. Come to
    think of it - there seems to be a lot of "Josh Cribb"s on this team now.

    3. Poor Cam. Started at left tackle, that is a tough assignment, since he's always ? been at center, or
    on the right side of the line. I think it's a lack of agility/balance. Seems like sometimes it's his feet,
    but other times not. So, I'll go with the lack of agility/balance. Maybe he just doesn't think football, too.
    The one saving grace is, he is good at run blocking. My opinion - if you are at the two yard line, and want to punch it in, he's good. But I"ve seen him whiff pass protection badly more than a couple of times at ROG, RT. Too bad.

    4. Wide Receivers.... I keep waiting for Higgins to shine. But he's still stuck behind a cloud. Meanwhile, I like Coleman,and Payton. and Lewis. And surprise slot receiver in Duke. That is just brilliant. He will be
    a plug and play versatile get defenses confused star.
    Maybe it was when I went for a coke that I missed Leslie,but he should stick around for sure.

    Who the hell is Mulhaney sp? Nice find. I thought he was a tight end, but he was fast. He faked a cut towards the sideline for just a fraction of a second, then blew past the downfield db that couldn't quite catch up to him on that TD... very, very football smart. That is an instinctive play on the timing.

    I'm one to give Britt some slack - I didn't think he had any chance in hades of keeping both feet in bounds. The pass didn't give him the chance. Just my opinion. Early on, they weren't getting open. Don't know who was on the field,but they weren't. That isn't on Osweiler. Britt will be fine. A lot of players are still thinking

    at this stage of the season.

    5. QB's. Os had a tough time - but the wr's in the game didn't help matters. Cam didn't help matters at all.
    However, Os did overthrow a few throws, but did play a bit faster than the Browns scrimmage. Kessler
    just has limitations - height and arm. When he has a choice to go downfield, he still checks down. He's
    smart and tough, but between a rock and a hard place - defenses can cheat up and play the ground game/short game without much concern. Hogan may prove to be quicker and better than Kessler, but he still has the
    arm limitation, although he's a bit stronger.

    Then there's Kizer. He wasn't perfect, but he came through. One point - Hue says he gave Kizer two plays to
    to run on that game winning TD throw - a go for it, and a safe play. Kizer went going for the win. That's what
    we want. The one mistake Kizer made just once - was a wr/te? came way, way open to the right, but Kizer
    was only looking to make a play to the left. That is easy to fix. Kizer is very, very smart - he doesn't keep making the same mistakes twice. He has the smarts and the arm to be special. Not ready yet.

    6. RB's

    Dayes. Mr. Matt Dayes. This guy slipped to the freaking seventh round? apparently because he's 5'8 7/8 ???
    LOL
    He is the real deal. He showed excellent vision, burst...and strength. To watch him play, you'd think
    he was 6' 230 lbs. Wow. I predict he will be known
    soon as a STEAL. Seriously, great pick. Crow is crow,
    wait til the regular season starts. He is going to
    be on a mission to get at least 1000 yards. McGee
    seems like a find- don't know much of anything about him.

    7. Defense

    OMG. The Browns have tough decisions to make. Garrett, Ogunjobe and Danny Shelton lead the way. Add Orchard
    to the list at DE. Btw, Danny was occupying two
    blockers several times, and still forced past
    and got the first tackle of the game... different
    role for them - AGGRESSIVE KICKASS DEFENSE>
    this is going to be a heyl of a lot of FUN.
    Danny Shelton can't be shoved back, but of course,
    he can be trap blocked a bit. For maybe two seconds...

    Trevon Coley? We heard Shelton and a coach mention him.
    But Coley is a major kickass player. Nice !
    This defense has FUN playing the game AGGRESSIVELY.

    I will mention, however, about the last Saints drive
    when they took advantage of the Browns giving them
    wide open short throws... and went right down the field... only to have the Browns kick their asses after that...

    No worries here, though. It is only the 1st preseason game.

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    9. The entire Browns team is all in, excited to play,
    and they play inspired kickass football. They are
    a TEAM more than they have been ever before, since
    '99.

    10. Went to buy a couple of soft pretzels for my
    Wonderful Cute Wife, and found out they were
    6.25? 6.75? I asked six bucks for how many, and she smiled and said
    for each. So, sorry, Hon, I left them there.

  • From being at the game, here's what I think:

    1. Garrett is amazing. Spectacular even. He is just beginning, and he's that good. AWESOME.
    He has it all. Can stuff a play into the dirt and make it look easy. He's a five star. *****

    2. Peppers is going to be a star. His play will inspire his team like Josh Cribbs did back in the day. Come to
    think of it - there seems to be a lot of "Josh Cribb"s on this team now.

    3. Poor Cam. Started at left tackle, that is a tough assignment, since he's always ? been at center, or
    on the right side of the line. I think it's a lack of agility/balance. Seems like sometimes it's his feet,
    but other times not. So, I'll go with the lack of agility/balance. Maybe he just doesn't think football, too.
    The one saving grace is, he is good at run blocking. My opinion - if you are at the two yard line, and want to punch it in, he's good. But I"ve seen him whiff pass protection badly more than a couple of times at ROG, RT. Too bad.

    4. Wide Receivers.... I keep waiting for Higgins to shine. But he's still stuck behind a cloud. Meanwhile, I like Coleman,and Payton. and Lewis. And surprise slot receiver in Duke. That is just brilliant. He will be
    a plug and play versatile get defenses confused star.
    Maybe it was when I went for a coke that I missed Leslie,but he should stick around for sure.

    Who the hell is Mulhaney sp? Nice find. I thought he was a tight end, but he was fast. He faked a cut towards the sideline for just a fraction of a second, then blew past the downfield db that couldn't quite catch up to him on that TD... very, very football smart. That is an instinctive play on the timing.

    I'm one to give Britt some slack - I didn't think he had any chance in hades of keeping both feet in bounds. The pass didn't give him the chance. Just my opinion. Early on, they weren't getting open. Don't know who was on the field,but they weren't. That isn't on Osweiler. Britt will be fine. A lot of players are still thinking

    at this stage of the season.

    5. QB's. Os had a tough time - but the wr's in the game didn't help matters. Cam didn't help matters at all.
    However, Os did overthrow a few throws, but did play a bit faster than the Browns scrimmage. Kessler
    just has limitations - height and arm. When he has a choice to go downfield, he still checks down. He's
    smart and tough, but between a rock and a hard place - defenses can cheat up and play the ground game/short game without much concern. Hogan may prove to be quicker and better than Kessler, but he still has the
    arm limitation, although he's a bit stronger.

    Then there's Kizer. He wasn't perfect, but he came through. One point - Hue says he gave Kizer two plays to
    to run on that game winning TD throw - a go for it, and a safe play. Kizer went going for the win. That's what
    we want. The one mistake Kizer made just once - was a wr/te? came way, way open to the right, but Kizer
    was only looking to make a play to the left. That is easy to fix. Kizer is very, very smart - he doesn't keep making the same mistakes twice. He has the smarts and the arm to be special. Not ready yet.

    6. RB's

    Dayes. Mr. Matt Dayes. This guy slipped to the freaking seventh round? apparently because he's 5'8 7/8 ???
    LOL
    He is the real deal. He showed excellent vision, burst...and strength. To watch him play, you'd think
    he was 6' 230 lbs. Wow. I predict he will be known
    soon as a STEAL. Seriously, great pick. Crow is crow,
    wait til the regular season starts. He is going to
    be on a mission to get at least 1000 yards. McGee
    seems like a find- don't know much of anything about him.

    7. Defense

    OMG. The Browns have tough decisions to make. Garrett, Ogunjobe and Danny Shelton lead the way. Add Orchard
    to the list at DE. Btw, Danny was occupying two
    blockers several times, and still forced past
    and got the first tackle of the game... different
    role for them - AGGRESSIVE KICKASS DEFENSE>
    this is going to be a heyl of a lot of FUN.
    Danny Shelton can't be shoved back, but of course,
    he can be trap blocked a bit. For maybe two seconds...

    Trevon Coley? We heard Shelton and a coach mention him.
    But Coley is a major kickass player. Nice !
    This defense has FUN playing the game AGGRESSIVELY.

    I will mention, however, about the last Saints drive
    when they took advantage of the Browns giving them
    wide open short throws... and went right down the field... only to have the Browns kick their asses after that...

    No worries here, though. It is only the 1st preseason game.

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    9. The entire Browns team is all in, excited to play,
    and they play inspired kickass football. They are
    a TEAM more than they have been ever before, since
    '99.

    10. Went to buy a couple of soft pretzels for my
    Wonderful Cute Wife, and found out they were
    6.25? 6.75? I asked six bucks for how many, and she smiled and said
    for each. So, sorry, Hon, I left them there.

    @calfoxwc said:

    10. Went to buy a couple of soft pretzels for my

    Wonderful Cute Wife, and found out they were

    6.25? 6.75? I asked six bucks for how many, and she smiled and said

    for each. So, sorry, Hon, I left them there.

    How many of those $9.75 beers did you buy?

  • ha ! The only beer I drink is root beer, and they didn't have any. I think it was 3 bucks for a pepsi.

  • ha ! The only beer I drink is root beer, and they didn't have any. I think it was 3 bucks for a pepsi.

    @calfoxwc said:

    ha ! The only beer I drink is root beer, and they didn't have any. I think it was 3 bucks for a pepsi.

    Concession prices are ridiculous, I usually buy one nacho and a big bottle of water. I'm never really hungry inside as I get my fill up at the tailgate.

  • calfoxwc

    "9. The entire Browns team is all in, excited to play,
    and they play inspired kickass football. They are
    a TEAM more than they have been ever before, since
    '99."

    Totally agree cal! Everything I read, every interview I hear and everything I see on the field looks like a team with a mission to get better every play regardless of score. I think this is going to be the most fun year for fans in quite some time. I'm jealous of those of you who have the opportunity to go to live games any time you want. This team is loaded with players with the right attitude and hungry to develop something very special together.

  • @Orion

    There is a game highlight clip & a Kizer throws clip on page 11 of the Game thread - might give you a little indication of what the game was like.

    @calfoxwc

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    Gonzalez was our first pick (of two) in Round 7, Drafted ahead of RB Dayes . . . don't think he's going anywhere.

    Word is they believe this kid can do 50yd - 60yd Field Goals . . .

    On one Drive, the Announcers said if the Browns could cross the 50yd line they might give Gonzalez a shot . . .

    His Kickoffs were great too.

    First Team O - Brock only really got two days with the 1's since Training Camp, plus O Penalties (Cam) put the kibosh on getting things going.

    I'd give this a pass for this week.

    First Team D is another story, don't know what's going on there yet.

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

  • @Orion

    There is a game highlight clip & a Kizer throws clip on page 11 of the Game thread - might give you a little indication of what the game was like.

    @calfoxwc

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    Gonzalez was our first pick (of two) in Round 7, Drafted ahead of RB Dayes . . . don't think he's going anywhere.

    Word is they believe this kid can do 50yd - 60yd Field Goals . . .

    On one Drive, the Announcers said if the Browns could cross the 50yd line they might give Gonzalez a shot . . .

    His Kickoffs were great too.

    First Team O - Brock only really got two days with the 1's since Training Camp, plus O Penalties (Cam) put the kibosh on getting things going.

    I'd give this a pass for this week.

    First Team D is another story, don't know what's going on there yet.

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

    @jafbf said:

    First Team D is another story, don't know what's going on there yet.

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see. ESPN

    If we continue to get plowed up the gut Teams don't stop till we Force them to..Danny & Des were first at giving up holes. On 2nd play Campbell got Kamara'D. Than later Tank Cardner got Kamara'D in hole,fell off & Karmara bounced away on 17 yrd. gain. Coley & Meder were not winning their match-ups to penetrate stopping run either. Ogunjobi & X.Cooper actually won their match-ups but winning #3's won't get you far..You can't miss tackles at LB position to control the run. Collins & Kirksey can't play every down either.Tank now a starting 3rd LB just seems wrong coming from ST's & buried in previous depth charts. Schoberts down 15 lbs. but run a rock at him downhill can he hold up? still lots of crazy stuff can happen(maybe even run Nate O in there at LB to beat up on a ball carrier)

  • From being at the game, here's what I think:

    1. Garrett is amazing. Spectacular even. He is just beginning, and he's that good. AWESOME.
    He has it all. Can stuff a play into the dirt and make it look easy. He's a five star. *****

    2. Peppers is going to be a star. His play will inspire his team like Josh Cribbs did back in the day. Come to
    think of it - there seems to be a lot of "Josh Cribb"s on this team now.

    3. Poor Cam. Started at left tackle, that is a tough assignment, since he's always ? been at center, or
    on the right side of the line. I think it's a lack of agility/balance. Seems like sometimes it's his feet,
    but other times not. So, I'll go with the lack of agility/balance. Maybe he just doesn't think football, too.
    The one saving grace is, he is good at run blocking. My opinion - if you are at the two yard line, and want to punch it in, he's good. But I"ve seen him whiff pass protection badly more than a couple of times at ROG, RT. Too bad.

    4. Wide Receivers.... I keep waiting for Higgins to shine. But he's still stuck behind a cloud. Meanwhile, I like Coleman,and Payton. and Lewis. And surprise slot receiver in Duke. That is just brilliant. He will be
    a plug and play versatile get defenses confused star.
    Maybe it was when I went for a coke that I missed Leslie,but he should stick around for sure.

    Who the hell is Mulhaney sp? Nice find. I thought he was a tight end, but he was fast. He faked a cut towards the sideline for just a fraction of a second, then blew past the downfield db that couldn't quite catch up to him on that TD... very, very football smart. That is an instinctive play on the timing.

    I'm one to give Britt some slack - I didn't think he had any chance in hades of keeping both feet in bounds. The pass didn't give him the chance. Just my opinion. Early on, they weren't getting open. Don't know who was on the field,but they weren't. That isn't on Osweiler. Britt will be fine. A lot of players are still thinking

    at this stage of the season.

    5. QB's. Os had a tough time - but the wr's in the game didn't help matters. Cam didn't help matters at all.
    However, Os did overthrow a few throws, but did play a bit faster than the Browns scrimmage. Kessler
    just has limitations - height and arm. When he has a choice to go downfield, he still checks down. He's
    smart and tough, but between a rock and a hard place - defenses can cheat up and play the ground game/short game without much concern. Hogan may prove to be quicker and better than Kessler, but he still has the
    arm limitation, although he's a bit stronger.

    Then there's Kizer. He wasn't perfect, but he came through. One point - Hue says he gave Kizer two plays to
    to run on that game winning TD throw - a go for it, and a safe play. Kizer went going for the win. That's what
    we want. The one mistake Kizer made just once - was a wr/te? came way, way open to the right, but Kizer
    was only looking to make a play to the left. That is easy to fix. Kizer is very, very smart - he doesn't keep making the same mistakes twice. He has the smarts and the arm to be special. Not ready yet.

    6. RB's

    Dayes. Mr. Matt Dayes. This guy slipped to the freaking seventh round? apparently because he's 5'8 7/8 ???
    LOL
    He is the real deal. He showed excellent vision, burst...and strength. To watch him play, you'd think
    he was 6' 230 lbs. Wow. I predict he will be known
    soon as a STEAL. Seriously, great pick. Crow is crow,
    wait til the regular season starts. He is going to
    be on a mission to get at least 1000 yards. McGee
    seems like a find- don't know much of anything about him.

    7. Defense

    OMG. The Browns have tough decisions to make. Garrett, Ogunjobe and Danny Shelton lead the way. Add Orchard
    to the list at DE. Btw, Danny was occupying two
    blockers several times, and still forced past
    and got the first tackle of the game... different
    role for them - AGGRESSIVE KICKASS DEFENSE>
    this is going to be a heyl of a lot of FUN.
    Danny Shelton can't be shoved back, but of course,
    he can be trap blocked a bit. For maybe two seconds...

    Trevon Coley? We heard Shelton and a coach mention him.
    But Coley is a major kickass player. Nice !
    This defense has FUN playing the game AGGRESSIVELY.

    I will mention, however, about the last Saints drive
    when they took advantage of the Browns giving them
    wide open short throws... and went right down the field... only to have the Browns kick their asses after that...

    No worries here, though. It is only the 1st preseason game.

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    9. The entire Browns team is all in, excited to play,
    and they play inspired kickass football. They are
    a TEAM more than they have been ever before, since
    '99.

    10. Went to buy a couple of soft pretzels for my
    Wonderful Cute Wife, and found out they were
    6.25? 6.75? I asked six bucks for how many, and she smiled and said
    for each. So, sorry, Hon, I left them there.

    @calfoxwc said:

    6. RB's

    Dayes. Mr. Matt Dayes. This guy slipped to the freaking seventh round? apparently because he's 5'8 7/8 ???

    LOL

    He is the real deal. He showed excellent vision, burst...and strength. To watch him play, you'd think

    he was 6' 230 lbs. Wow. I predict he will be known

    soon as a STEAL. Seriously, great pick.

    Also the 29th RB taken in this years draft...In Carolina WooofPack Country, were not so convinced that Dayes will stay with Uni number 27? If Uni #29 comes available..Stay Tuned..

  • @Orion

    There is a game highlight clip & a Kizer throws clip on page 11 of the Game thread - might give you a little indication of what the game was like.

    @calfoxwc

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    Gonzalez was our first pick (of two) in Round 7, Drafted ahead of RB Dayes . . . don't think he's going anywhere.

    Word is they believe this kid can do 50yd - 60yd Field Goals . . .

    On one Drive, the Announcers said if the Browns could cross the 50yd line they might give Gonzalez a shot . . .

    His Kickoffs were great too.

    First Team O - Brock only really got two days with the 1's since Training Camp, plus O Penalties (Cam) put the kibosh on getting things going.

    I'd give this a pass for this week.

    First Team D is another story, don't know what's going on there yet.

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

    @jafbf said:

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

    ESPN-nationally televised-set to record already.

    NFL Network to rebroadcast Browns-Saints Monday 1 pm eastern hopefully with the whole game this time without the Zeke show interruption.

  • @jafbf said:

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

    ESPN-nationally televised-set to record already.

    NFL Network to rebroadcast Browns-Saints Monday 1 pm eastern hopefully with the whole game this time without the Zeke show interruption.

    @texasag1969 said:

    ESPN-nationally televised-set to record already.

    NFL Network to rebroadcast Browns-Saints Monday 1 pm eastern hopefully with the whole game this time without the Zeke show interruption.

    Great, I hope that they have a good effort to impress the country and build confidence in the squad.

    Giving the fanbase something to cheer about would be nice too. 😉

  • @Orion

    There is a game highlight clip & a Kizer throws clip on page 11 of the Game thread - might give you a little indication of what the game was like.

    @calfoxwc

    8. Kickers - Gonzalez rocks. He's that good.
    a kicker might get traded, I don't believe Gonz
    is going anywhere. He will be lost quickly on a practice squad....

    Gonzalez was our first pick (of two) in Round 7, Drafted ahead of RB Dayes . . . don't think he's going anywhere.

    Word is they believe this kid can do 50yd - 60yd Field Goals . . .

    On one Drive, the Announcers said if the Browns could cross the 50yd line they might give Gonzalez a shot . . .

    His Kickoffs were great too.

    First Team O - Brock only really got two days with the 1's since Training Camp, plus O Penalties (Cam) put the kibosh on getting things going.

    I'd give this a pass for this week.

    First Team D is another story, don't know what's going on there yet.

    Giants are a Monday Night game, so this actually could be a Nationally Televised one - we'll have to see.

    @jafbf said:

    @Orion

    There is a game highlight clip & a Kizer throws clip on page 11 of the Game thread - might give you a little indication of what the game was like.

    Thanks muchly!

    That was helpful. (and other highlight videos)

    Kizer looked like he's played tackle football before.

    Very natural reacting to and sidestepping pressure.

    He locked onto one side of the field...but hey, new offense, new team, new league, new, new, new.

    He knew when to throw the ball into the dirt. Some guys never learn that.

  • I like the prose of how some players looked good but the team as a whole looked like shit.

    What a fucking farce.