Skip to content

Brock won't play Saturday, per Adam Schefter

The Browns Board
26 19 976
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I believe the reason they're not playing Assoiler, is they can't trade him if he's hurt.

  • Zombo said:

    Deshone is the future and heads the depth chart into the "Dress Rehearsal".

    Kessler is a Sashi/Hugh pick and showed last year that he can play in this league and be accurate.

    Oz is a 22 Million$ flop who tripped over himself in his last two starts, his only playoff game, and his shot as a starter last year.

    Kevin Hogan is a talented, athletic young guy who has been in the system for two years and could be worth something in the future.

    Oz reportedly not playing at all this week.

    Do you just cut bait and go with the three young guys?

    Personally .. I do.

    Zombo

    I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade. 

    Orherwise, yes. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @wargograw said:

    I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade.  Orherwise, yes. 

    Agree and if keeping Brock around for "the right price" means losing Hogan, then so be it...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I'm curious to what everyone thinks the Browns could get for Osweiler?

    Hell, I'm happy with what we already got for TAKING him. 😆

  • Zombo said:

    Deshone is the future and heads the depth chart into the "Dress Rehearsal".

    Kessler is a Sashi/Hugh pick and showed last year that he can play in this league and be accurate.

    Oz is a 22 Million$ flop who tripped over himself in his last two starts, his only playoff game, and his shot as a starter last year.

    Kevin Hogan is a talented, athletic young guy who has been in the system for two years and could be worth something in the future.

    Oz reportedly not playing at all this week.

    Do you just cut bait and go with the three young guys?

    Personally .. I do.

    Zombo

    I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade. 

    Orherwise, yes. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @wargograw said:

    I don't. I keep him for at least 6 weeks to see if we can pull off a trade. 

    Orherwise, yes. 

    makes sense,hogan can go on the taxi squad

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I believe Billy is available. 🙂

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

    I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

  • I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

    I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @bob806 said:

    I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

    I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

    In my perfect world, Kizer would have sat for at least half the season, and got 6 or so starts. Plenty of time to learn on the sidelines, but plenty of game experience for the Browns to see what they have in him.

    Problem is, Osweiler has not been good. Probably not all his fault, but he looks more like a rookie than the rookie does. I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

    If Kizer is named the starter, it is what it is. Earlier than I wanted, but the alternatives?

  • I'm curious to what everyone thinks the Browns could get for Osweiler?

    Hell, I'm happy with what we already got for TAKING him. 😆

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm curious to what everyone thinks the Browns could get for Osweiler?

    Hell, I'm happy with what we already got for TAKING him. 😆

    I think they'd give him away if they could.......

    They got paid to take him. So Id say they'd let him go for free and would still have a 2nd rounder for the effort. They might even play nice and pay part of his salary.........

  • I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

    I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @bob806 said:

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

    You might as well hope for world peace.  But I agree.   If Kizer is gonna be our starter then he needs to be supported and mentored.

    What are the odds that he's not gonna screw up...and screw up bad sometimes?  Slim to none.  He's gonna fuckup.  The front office, coaches, water boys and fans need to understand that.  

    It's tackle football....he's been playing it all his life....but not against the talent and the speed of NFL players.  He's faced defenses with 2 or 3 guys on it that were good and fast...but now he's facing defenses full of 'em.  It's going to take some getting used to.  And his first real taste of it comes this weekend.  It will certainly be interesting to watch.

    If it turns out, over the coming weeks that he's still too raw...and needs some more time...then Kessler can play the role of place holder.

    I said all along that Kizer has come into a good situation 'for him'.  That he actually had a chance to become the game 1 starter as a rookie.....because the bar is not set too high.  All he has to do is learn the playbook and beat out Kessler and the Ostrich.  There's no Aaron Rogers on this team.

    I wish him well.

    And I have one huge piece of advice for him.    SLIDE!    Do not be a dumbass RG3 and think you're gonna run the ball and bowl people over.  He has to realize that he plays the single most important position in the whole organization.  For him to get hurt on the field by trying to be a hero hurts the ENTIRE organization.  I know you feel like a pussy by avoiding contact but IT HAS TO BE UNDERSTOOD THAT THE QB CANNOT GET INJURED.  You HAVE TO be the pussy and run out of bounds, slide to the ground or give up on a play and throw it out of bounds.  Ya just CANNOT be RG3 stupid!

  • A Alkid3 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Cut him. He's trash. No accuracy what so ever 

  • @bob806 said:

    I wasn't all in on starting a rookie, but BO has wet the bed.

    I was hoping Kessler would stabilize the position. He had some decent outings last year, I'm surprised he hasn't done better.

    If Kizer's the guy, so be it. I just don't want our fickle fan base turning on him if he's named the starter and struggles. 

    In my perfect world, Kizer would have sat for at least half the season, and got 6 or so starts. Plenty of time to learn on the sidelines, but plenty of game experience for the Browns to see what they have in him.

    Problem is, Osweiler has not been good. Probably not all his fault, but he looks more like a rookie than the rookie does. I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

    If Kizer is named the starter, it is what it is. Earlier than I wanted, but the alternatives?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dutch-oven said:

    I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

    Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

    Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gumby73 said:

    Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

    Interesting  take... hadn't really considered a DC's role in QB development, but certainly can force development of an expanded comfort zone as you describe.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I like Kessler, but this "competition" hasn't exactly brought the best our of him, and lets be honest, he's the Josh Tomlin of the Browns QBs. Always prepared, will give a professional attempt any time he's called on, but limited physically. Plus, his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and not being the stoutest built QB of all-time makes you wonder how long he'd be healthy enough to start for an extended time.

    Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @gumby73 said:

    Am not counting Kess out of this thing at this time. but as most, we see more QB hope in Kizer..imo Kess at Camp took a Gregg Williams hit by Gregg taking away all of Kess's short center of Field release valves. Probably took away his center seam routes that Kess can throw to force the kid to grow his field vision..If Kessler turns his tunnel vision around? he may want to give a nod to Williams  

    Listened to an extended discussion on this very topic on NFL Network. Definitely making him improve. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Good points gumby. Same point has been made for JT helping MG improve his DE responsibilities. It's great to have one of the greatest to ever wear a Browns uniform right there opposite to make something special out of raw talent. Also great to have a DC improve the QB's at the same time he improves our team D coordination. I love this team's approach to making this team into something special.

  • Cut him. He's trash. No accuracy what so ever 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @alkid3 said:

    Cut him. He's trash. No accuracy what so ever 

    Brock- I agree about the accuracy thing. rewatched most of the first half, and when the passes weren't uncatachable, they were high- hanging out his receivers for kill shots.  Did throw a few on target, but not enough in my book. Have no idea how he went 6\8.  

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    So at this point why not a conditional trade whereby if he is still on the roster of the team taking him, say after game 6, then we get a 6th or 7th rounder for him in 2018?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    I don't think we are in a hurry, Ag. We're going to eat his salary, that seems clear, so the objective will be to maximize his value and he is a veteran QB with over a seasons worth of starts under his belt.

  • I don't think we are in a hurry, Ag. We're going to eat his salary, that seems clear, so the objective will be to maximize his value and he is a veteran QB with over a seasons worth of starts under his belt.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't think we are in a hurry, Ag. We're going to eat his salary, that seems clear, so the objective will be to maximize his value and he is a veteran QB with over a seasons worth of starts under his belt.

    This is it exactly. Even if we don't get any takers, although a well below average player Brock isn't a bad guy to have around for the 3rd string QB. Hogan can still go to the PS at this point so we don't lose anyone. I think he's more valuable to our team than say a 6th/7th round pick which is all we'd get for the guy at this point in time.

    However, if a high level QB goes down and Brock gets thrown around in the conversation of 3rd round or player who could contribute...