Nickel Defense
-
Play#3: Garrett switched to RT with LB (Collins) in stand up position to his R. Garrett's quickness forces a triple team from LT, LG and C allowing Schobert to shoot the gap as he curls around on a stunt from his stand-up LDE spot and sack the QB, because simultaneously Ogbah who was switched to LT forces a doubleteam from the RT and RG.
What I love about this and a few other "plays" Gregg has shown is that they are plays. As much as drawing or inviting dbl and trpl teams, we now have DL creating them by essentially blocking OL and opening running lanes for our blitzers. Same can be seen watching Nassib down block in our GL stand vs. NOLA...
I'm not sure when this approach gained prominence, but it's been growing trend for a few seasons now and it has finally made its way into Browns' uni's...
As for the Nickel? May as well live in it as we do not have a MLB that can stop runs between the tackles... and I think Gregg knows it. He's lining our MLB up 7-10 yd off the LOS as if they are "run safeties". I do not recall him doing so with the Rams... but then he had Ogletree in the middle.
What I love about this and a few other "plays" Gregg has shown is that they are plays. As much as drawing or inviting dbl and trpl teams, we now have DL creating them by essentially blocking OL and opening running lanes for our blitzers. Same can be seen watching Nassib down block in our GL stand vs. NOLA...
I'm not sure when this approach gained prominence, but it's been growing trend for a few seasons now and it has finally made its way into Browns' uni's...
As for the Nickel? May as well live in it as we do not have a MLB that can stop runs between the tackles... and I think Gregg knows it. He's lining our MLB up 7-10 yd off the LOS as if they are "run safeties". I do not recall him doing so with the Rams... but then he had Ogletree in the middle.
The animal was the mike backer. Ogletree played weakside, I believe.
-
What I love about this and a few other "plays" Gregg has shown is that they are plays. As much as drawing or inviting dbl and trpl teams, we now have DL creating them by essentially blocking OL and opening running lanes for our blitzers. Same can be seen watching Nassib down block in our GL stand vs. NOLA...
I'm not sure when this approach gained prominence, but it's been growing trend for a few seasons now and it has finally made its way into Browns' uni's...
As for the Nickel? May as well live in it as we do not have a MLB that can stop runs between the tackles... and I think Gregg knows it. He's lining our MLB up 7-10 yd off the LOS as if they are "run safeties". I do not recall him doing so with the Rams... but then he had Ogletree in the middle.
The animal was the mike backer. Ogletree played weakside, I believe.
-
Yep. I've seen some good shit out of schobert, we might have found our mlb'er.
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
The animal was the mike backer. Ogletree played weakside, I believe.
Alec moved inside when Laurinaitis was released after the 2015 season.
James signed with NOLA, was hurt, waived and retired this past April. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis
-
Yep. I've seen some good shit out of schobert, we might have found our mlb'er.
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
The animal was the mike backer. Ogletree played weakside, I believe.
Alec moved inside when Laurinaitis was released after the 2015 season.
James signed with NOLA, was hurt, waived and retired this past April. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
Alec moved inside when Laurinaitis was released after the 2015 season.
James signed with NOLA, was hurt, waived and retired this past April. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis
I guess my reference was for the bulk of Williams' time there. Also wasn't aware Ogletree moved to the middle after James went to Nola.
Yep. I've seen some good shit out of schobert, we might have found our mlb'er.
Like I said, he looked light in camp. The lost weight has it's benefits but there are drawbacks. Sideline to sideline he makes nice plays but there was a reason on early downs Tank was the MIKE backer. Playing the interior gaps and downhill run stopping is not Joe's strength. This is where Jamie will come into play. However having a true 3 down front 7 general really is a wonderful tool for your defense. Bowman, Luke, Willis (when he was with the Niners) Mosley... These are the guys that will come up and stop your running back in the hole but also get dirty underneath on TE's and crossers.
-
Play#3: Garrett switched to RT with LB (Collins) in stand up position to his R. Garrett's quickness forces a triple team from LT, LG and C allowing Schobert to shoot the gap as he curls around on a stunt from his stand-up LDE spot and sack the QB, because simultaneously Ogbah who was switched to LT forces a doubleteam from the RT and RG.
What I love about this and a few other "plays" Gregg has shown is that they are plays. As much as drawing or inviting dbl and trpl teams, we now have DL creating them by essentially blocking OL and opening running lanes for our blitzers. Same can be seen watching Nassib down block in our GL stand vs. NOLA...
I'm not sure when this approach gained prominence, but it's been growing trend for a few seasons now and it has finally made its way into Browns' uni's...
As for the Nickel? May as well live in it as we do not have a MLB that can stop runs between the tackles... and I think Gregg knows it. He's lining our MLB up 7-10 yd off the LOS as if they are "run safeties". I do not recall him doing so with the Rams... but then he had Ogletree in the middle.
What I love about this and a few other "plays" Gregg has shown is that they are plays. As much as drawing or inviting dbl and trpl teams, we now have DL creating them by essentially blocking OL and opening running lanes for our blitzers. Same can be seen watching Nassib down block in our GL stand vs. NOLA...
I'm not sure when this approach gained prominence, but it's been growing trend for a few seasons now and it has finally made its way into Browns' uni's...
As for the Nickel? May as well live in it as we do not have a MLB that can stop runs between the tackles... and I think Gregg knows it. He's lining our MLB up 7-10 yd off the LOS as if they are "run safeties". I do not recall him doing so with the Rams... but then he had Ogletree in the middle.
And the beauty of this is that we have identical twins in Ogbah and Garrett who have all those abilities of being able to play both DE and DT very effectively, even if it's a running play. And the whole team has bought in to running to the ball. On that play #2 there was LB Kirksey coming over behind the CB to clean up anything he missed and a split second behind him were 3 others ready to pile in. By the time the whistle ends there are 7 Browns around the ball, most within 3-4 yds.
-
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
Alec moved inside when Laurinaitis was released after the 2015 season.
James signed with NOLA, was hurt, waived and retired this past April. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis
I guess my reference was for the bulk of Williams' time there. Also wasn't aware Ogletree moved to the middle after James went to Nola.
Yep. I've seen some good shit out of schobert, we might have found our mlb'er.
Like I said, he looked light in camp. The lost weight has it's benefits but there are drawbacks. Sideline to sideline he makes nice plays but there was a reason on early downs Tank was the MIKE backer. Playing the interior gaps and downhill run stopping is not Joe's strength. This is where Jamie will come into play. However having a true 3 down front 7 general really is a wonderful tool for your defense. Bowman, Luke, Willis (when he was with the Niners) Mosley... These are the guys that will come up and stop your running back in the hole but also get dirty underneath on TE's and crossers.
Hustle can erase errors... or at least minimize them...
I guess my reference was for the bulk of Williams' time there. Also wasn't aware Ogletree moved to the middle after James went to Nola.
However having a true 3 down front 7 general really is a wonderful tool for your defense.
Alec received his first All-Pro award for his 2016 work.
Side note: Watched a little bit of the 49er game a couple days ago... Foster was playing OLB.... sigh...
-
Yep. I've seen some good shit out of schobert, we might have found our mlb'er.
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
The animal was the mike backer. Ogletree played weakside, I believe.
Alec moved inside when Laurinaitis was released after the 2015 season.
James signed with NOLA, was hurt, waived and retired this past April. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
Off the top of my head I can recount at least one instance where I saw him engage with the center or guard and get off the block quickly. I can't remember if he made the play or not because the camera moved past too quick....but it didn't seem like Joe has issues locking up with OL and keeping them stiff. Makes sense since he came up as a 3-4 olb'er/.
-
Hustle can erase errors... or at least minimize them...
I guess my reference was for the bulk of Williams' time there. Also wasn't aware Ogletree moved to the middle after James went to Nola.
However having a true 3 down front 7 general really is a wonderful tool for your defense.
Alec received his first All-Pro award for his 2016 work.
Side note: Watched a little bit of the 49er game a couple days ago... Foster was playing OLB.... sigh...
Hustle can erase errors... or at least minimize them...
Alec received his first All-Pro award for his 2016 work.
Side note: Watched a little bit of the 49er game a couple days ago... Foster was playing OLB.... sigh...
I'm sure they'll move foster all around the formation there. But he too, isn't a 'bigger' downhill backer. Though he plays like it.
-
Hustle can erase errors... or at least minimize them...
I guess my reference was for the bulk of Williams' time there. Also wasn't aware Ogletree moved to the middle after James went to Nola.
However having a true 3 down front 7 general really is a wonderful tool for your defense.
Alec received his first All-Pro award for his 2016 work.
Side note: Watched a little bit of the 49er game a couple days ago... Foster was playing OLB.... sigh...
-
If you've seen him stop a run between the tackles, please point it out to me.
Off the top of my head I can recount at least one instance where I saw him engage with the center or guard and get off the block quickly. I can't remember if he made the play or not because the camera moved past too quick....but it didn't seem like Joe has issues locking up with OL and keeping them stiff. Makes sense since he came up as a 3-4 olb'er/.
Off the top of my head I can recount at least one instance where I saw him engage with the center or guard and get off the block quickly. I can't remember if he made the play or not because the camera moved past too quick....but it didn't seem like Joe has issues locking up with OL and keeping them stiff. Makes sense since he came up as a 3-4 olb'er/.
I iso'd on him every snap vs. NYG and he was slow to read and often was blocked out of the play... mostly by OTs going to 2nd level. I did not see him make a play between the tackles.
But again, some might be attributed to Williams positioning him so deep.
And FYI... my guy, Olugbode, did not fair any better... nor did Tank in his limited action. We do not seem to have an obvious answer to our need at that position.
-
Hustle can erase errors... or at least minimize them...
Alec received his first All-Pro award for his 2016 work.
Side note: Watched a little bit of the 49er game a couple days ago... Foster was playing OLB.... sigh...
I'm sure they'll move foster all around the formation there. But he too, isn't a 'bigger' downhill backer. Though he plays like it.
-
Off the top of my head I can recount at least one instance where I saw him engage with the center or guard and get off the block quickly. I can't remember if he made the play or not because the camera moved past too quick....but it didn't seem like Joe has issues locking up with OL and keeping them stiff. Makes sense since he came up as a 3-4 olb'er/.
I iso'd on him every snap vs. NYG and he was slow to read and often was blocked out of the play... mostly by OTs going to 2nd level. I did not see him make a play between the tackles.
But again, some might be attributed to Williams positioning him so deep.
And FYI... my guy, Olugbode, did not fair any better... nor did Tank in his limited action. We do not seem to have an obvious answer to our need at that position.
I iso'd on him every snap vs. NYG and he was slow to read and often was blocked out of the play... mostly by OTs going to 2nd level. I did not see him make a play between the tackles.
But again, some might be attributed to Williams positioning him so deep.
And FYI... my guy, Olugbode, did not fair any better... nor did Tank in his limited action. We do not seem to have an obvious answer to our need at that position.
Refresh my memory on who you are talking about here. Schobert? Or someone else.
(and didn't Kirksey get a lot of time at MLB this past game?)
-
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
-
As always it's BPA especially with 3 first round picks. That's a lot of holes you can fill with young talent. If linebacker shows better than DB next year then so be it.
As a particular New England coach says 'need is a terrible evaluator of talent'
-
Off the top of my head I can recount at least one instance where I saw him engage with the center or guard and get off the block quickly. I can't remember if he made the play or not because the camera moved past too quick....but it didn't seem like Joe has issues locking up with OL and keeping them stiff. Makes sense since he came up as a 3-4 olb'er/.
I iso'd on him every snap vs. NYG and he was slow to read and often was blocked out of the play... mostly by OTs going to 2nd level. I did not see him make a play between the tackles.
But again, some might be attributed to Williams positioning him so deep.
And FYI... my guy, Olugbode, did not fair any better... nor did Tank in his limited action. We do not seem to have an obvious answer to our need at that position.
I iso'd on him every snap vs. NYG and he was slow to read and often was blocked out of the play... mostly by OTs going to 2nd level. I did not see him make a play between the tackles.
But again, some might be attributed to Williams positioning him so deep.
And FYI... my guy, Olugbode, did not fair any better... nor did Tank in his limited action. We do not seem to have an obvious answer to our need at that position.
If u iso'd him ill take ur word for it. I just went off the eye test and rewinding a couple plays. He wasnt always in the oroper position but it didnt look like he was getting beasted either
-
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
-
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
might have been 1 that just went down at Wisconsin LB Jack Cichy...The kid carry's a great attitude but just lacks the storybook ending. Jack was a 5th year senior in the running for most LB awards this season. Walked on at 6'1" a buck85 now 6'1 235.. tore a pec in 15 now just tore a ACL..he'll be fresh but google him up(7 games 70 tackles with a sack a half in 7) was really hoping to see this kid go
-
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
Those great viking defenses when jared allen was there. That was the one thingbthey sorely missed. Same with those colt defenses when freeney and mathis were in their prime. Had they had an elite mlb'er to stop the run peyton might have more rings
-
I'm not sure MLB is deserving of a high pick next draft to "solve" this issue given our multiple needs at DB and [depending on results this season] possibly DL and WR as well.. And the whole QB thing.
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
As of now I don't have a clue if there is even a 1st round MLB candidate in 2018... but if there is one and the hole in our middle is any where near as big as I a seeing...
Plus there's the whole front-to-back, inside-out thing.
I'm trying to think of a great 4-3 that did not include an elite MLB...
Next to great QBs....it is perhaps most fun to talk about the list of great MLBs.
Some great 4-3s that might apply to what you are talking about: The Purple People Eaters, The Fearsome Foursome. Who were the MLBs on those teams? Overshadowed by the guys up front
(note: here is the guy for the PPEs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Warwick
I think, for the Fearsome Foursome, it was either Maxie Baugh or Jack Pardee.
-
I sense we're not gonna have a top 3 pick next year so a top tier qb might not fall to us, so we might be able to have our pick at positions. Such as mlb'er
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
