Skip to content

Kizer officially Browns starter

The Browns Board
51 24 2.0k
  • Aside from a Return of Billy moment, what would have to happen for Hue to give up on Kizer?

    He's already night and day better than our last two first-round misadventures just in terms of willingness to put in the hard work..

  • Basically he would have to be Manziel. 

  • So now that he's been named the starter, do they play him the last game of the preseason?  I know the starters never play the 4th game but him being a rookie, this could be a good time to practice some things for Hue and Kizer that they want to implement week 1 vs the Steelers.

  • Two things killed Kizer last night. Ongoing penalties driving awful field position and shit receivers other than Coleman. Fix those and he shines! Kid is cool a a cucumber in the pocket under pressure. He's as composed on his own 6" line as he would be on the 50. This kids the real deal. 

  • So now that he's been named the starter, do they play him the last game of the preseason?  I know the starters never play the 4th game but him being a rookie, this could be a good time to practice some things for Hue and Kizer that they want to implement week 1 vs the Steelers.

    @bandwagoner said:

    So now that he's been named the starter, do they play him the last game of the preseason?  I know the starters never play the 4th game but him being a rookie, this could be a good time to practice some things for Hue and Kizer that they want to implement week 1 vs the Steelers.

    Hue said he hasn't decided yet.

    Well see after watching film and Practice this week.

  • Kizer is a guy who's now played with just about everyone on the offense.  

    If I were Hue I'd make the offensive ones play almost all of the first quarter. Or at least a series or two.  At 21 years old he's as rookie as a rookie can get.

  • I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

  • Kizer is a guy who's now played with just about everyone on the offense.  

    If I were Hue I'd make the offensive ones play almost all of the first quarter. Or at least a series or two.  At 21 years old he's as rookie as a rookie can get.

    @orion said:

    Kizer is a guy who's now played with just about everyone on the offense.  

    If I were Hue I'd make the offensive ones play almost all of the first quarter. Or at least a series or two.  At 21 years old he's as rookie as a rookie can get.

    @unsympathetic said:

    I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

    You mean the one that counts? I'm trying hard to like Kizer- but not yet. Will Cleveland fans have the patience to give Deshone a few mulligans when he screws up? (And he will.)

  • I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

    @unsympathetic said:

    I hope he doesn't rookie it up in the next game..

    He' going to rookie several things up in most games, but if he can keep those turnovers down this D is going to give him multiple shots at redemption.

  • Kizer is the battery that starts the car. Will he make mistakes? I saw a great qb throw 4 ints in one game.

    Kizer might throw an int, and surely "Kizer sucks, blah blah blah" will come up.

    The great qb who threw FOUR INTS IN ONE GAME?

    Peyton Manning. As much as I hate having to "throw Kizer to the wolves"... he is the only qb who has

    the talent, the huge accurate arm, and has a firm grip on the offense and the huddle... to win. And

    winning in the idea. So, despite that I was a huge Trubisky guy... Kizer lights it up when he's on the field.

    He won't be perfect, but bitching about him is bs. The kid might be the best qb of the draft class, and might

    be that future great qb for us.

  • so Kizer will make mistakes. But seriously, he is the only qb that sets this offense in high gear. Mistakes

    will happen. He isn't just a talented kid, he is a genuine qb, the likes we haven't had since '99. He's earned

    being given a chance.

  • Kizer had the most misleading stat line in history the other night.  I didn't get to see the game live, and when I looked at the numbers I just groaned to myself.  However, after watching the game, I realized the low scoring wasn't all on him.  I tell you what, Britt better not drop that shit during the season, and that would've been first and goal at like the 6 yard line.  AWFUL drop, and it REALLY pissed me off.  Not only that, our TE's can't catch, and I don't even want to TALK about that ridiculous Duke Johnson fumble.  1st and goal from the 6?  Are you kidding me?  Britt and Duke completely killed that game, and we didn't get to see Kizer in the red zone.  That experience is absolutely vital to a young kid, and to the rest of our offense.  I wanted to see Njoku get a "jump ball" in the end zone, or see our power running game succeed, or Kizer maybe run one in.  But those two mistakes killed all of that, and that CAN'T happen during the season.  Kizer made mistakes, and he'll make plenty more, but we have to capitalize on the few opportunities that we get each game.  

    Also, I love our defense, and it looks about how I hoped it would, BUT...if we keep blitzing like that, the good teams are going to destroy us.  Either with deep routes or screen passes.  We have to learn how to mix it up.

  • our defense - OMG. They kick ass ! THAT is the kind of defense that keeps you in games, and gives the offense

    big chances to win. Love the aggressive defense. And they are just getting started....

  • Kizer is the battery that starts the car. Will he make mistakes? I saw a great qb throw 4 ints in one game.

    Kizer might throw an int, and surely "Kizer sucks, blah blah blah" will come up.

    The great qb who threw FOUR INTS IN ONE GAME?

    Peyton Manning. As much as I hate having to "throw Kizer to the wolves"... he is the only qb who has

    the talent, the huge accurate arm, and has a firm grip on the offense and the huddle... to win. And

    winning in the idea. So, despite that I was a huge Trubisky guy... Kizer lights it up when he's on the field.

    He won't be perfect, but bitching about him is bs. The kid might be the best qb of the draft class, and might

    be that future great qb for us.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Kizer might throw an int, and surely "Kizer sucks, blah blah blah" will come up.

    As much as I hate having to "throw Kizer to the wolves"... he is the only qb who has the talent, the huge accurate arm, and has a firm grip on the offense and the huddle... to win. And winning in the idea.

    Because winning is the idea, your concern about fans turning upon Kizer is legit.

    Only part I disagree with is his "firm grip on the offense". It's inconsistent with not making reads... and without making reads winning is not in the cards.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Also, I love our defense, and it looks about how I hoped it would, BUT...if we keep blitzing like that, the good teams are going to destroy us.

    It's going to be exciting, but "live by the blitz, die by the blitz" ain't an old adage for nothing...

  • Kizer has looked far better than the other guys this preseason.

    I think he will do well if he's protected. He will make mistakes, but I think he is smart enough to learn from them, and he has a tremendous arm

  • Tour makes a fine point about the reads with Kizer and equating that to DA.  

    Obviously the big differences is that Kizer is a rookie and DA wasn't when he was our starter.  That said,  the pump fake and look off only to come back to his primary - that shit is only going to work so much for so long.    Weddle, Jefferson,  Iloka... those safeties won't be having that shit once they start to put on the tape.    

    Browns fans for the love of God, be patient this time around.     Booing Hoyer and begging for Manziel is what makes you look Retarded.    Don't boo Deshone then ask for Oz expecting things to immediately trend upward.   Last year was the tear down, this is a season of watching early growth and hopefully getting a couple wins with it.  

  • Remember that Hue said "trust me" regarding the multiple-rounds-early selection of Kessler.

    This is exactly why the assertion of "Letting Football Guys Run It" has not - and will not - ensure all draft picks are quality.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Remember that Hue said "trust me" regarding the multiple-rounds-early selection of Kessler.

    This is exactly why the assertion of "Letting Football Guys Run It" has not - and will not - ensure all draft picks are quality.

    Also that RGIII was a QB that Hue wanted...we all know how that played out.

  • Tour makes a fine point about the reads with Kizer and equating that to DA.  

    Obviously the big differences is that Kizer is a rookie and DA wasn't when he was our starter.  That said,  the pump fake and look off only to come back to his primary - that shit is only going to work so much for so long.    Weddle, Jefferson,  Iloka... those safeties won't be having that shit once they start to put on the tape.    

    Browns fans for the love of God, be patient this time around.     Booing Hoyer and begging for Manziel is what makes you look Retarded.    Don't boo Deshone then ask for Oz expecting things to immediately trend upward.   Last year was the tear down, this is a season of watching early growth and hopefully getting a couple wins with it.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Obviously the big differences is that Kizer is a rookie and DA wasn't when he was our starter.  That said,  the pump fake and look off only to come back to his primary - that shit is only going to work so much for so long.    Weddle, Jefferson,  Iloka... those safeties won't be having that shit once they start to put on the tape.    

    Browns fans for the love of God, be patient this time around.     Booing Hoyer and begging for Manziel is what makes you look Retarded.    Don't boo Deshone then ask for Oz expecting things to immediately trend upward.   Last year was the tear down, this is a season of watching early growth and hopefully getting a couple wins with it.  

    On the other hand sitting and leaning wasn't exactly a recipe for success in DA's case... but some guys never make the leap... in fact most QBs don't. Not sure DA ever has although when he did that brief fill-in for Newton a couple years ago it seemed like he might have.

    One quibble... I've seen most of the pumps to the primary with no looking off.

    Totally agree on the patience... as far as I am concerned this now needs to be seen as a season long commitment to Kizer. If the switch flips and he's our guy.... great. If it doesn't and he belly flops us all the way to the 1st overall pick... again... so be it.