CFB's Top Workout Warriors
-
Interesting stuff from ESPN's Bruce Feldman.
I think it's safe to say that this guy's going to have a pretty good Combine.
Taylor Mays, USC, safety: Whenever someone in the media visits a USC practice and comes away gushing about the Trojans' stash of blue-chip athletes, there's a good chance the buzz started building after he noticed Mays, a frightening combination of size and speed. Just ask Arizona coaches how frightening he is. Last season, Mays KOed three Wildcats during their game against USC. And perhaps the only things more impressive than Mays' highlight reel of brutal hits are the numbers the 6-foot-3, 238-pound Trojan puts up in the USC strength program. Mays vertical jumps 41 inches, does a standing broad jump of 11 feet and 4 inches, can bench-press 225 pounds 29 times and in the spring of 2008 ran an electronically timed 40-yard dash in 4.32 seconds. He didn't get timed in the 40 this spring because coaches didn't want to risk his pulling a muscle.
"I didn't run, but I feel faster this year," Mays says. "Seriously, I am. I ran that time last year coming off ankle surgery, and this year I've taken better care of my body during the season, and my diet has been more consistent." He has strived this spring to become more flexible and has focused on drills to increase his hip flexibility.
"[Former USC linebacker] Keith Rivers told me safeties have to play a lot of man in the slot [in the NFL], and I've also worked on getting better at tackling in the open field and becoming more fluid in my backpedal."
Mays, who says his body fat is about 5 percent of his total weight, plans to trim down to around 230 pounds in time for the season and has another idea to boost his flexibility: "My girlfriend and I are going to start taking that [bikram] yoga."
-
My God that dude is superman.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
