Skip to content

2018 picks, as it stands

The Browns Board
83 24 2.2k
  • @tour2ma said:

    I acknowledge every point you make... I just don't agree with them.

    There were supposedly desperate teams last year as well.

    There's a chance Joe can play at a high level for 4 more years... many great LTs have. The cap shouldn't be an issue by then, but if we land our QB I expect us to contend by then. Speaking of cap issues... Seattle has just under $4.4mm in 2017 space. Not enough for half of Joe's 2017 contract.

    OL picks are getting tougher and tougher to nail... I know... I look at them. Dion Dawkins was my #1 in the Class of 2017. Moton was OK... Lamp better, but had issues. Bolles? Never really got into him. I am surprised he's being used at LT, but seems to be fairing fairly well there for DNV.

    From what I hear, 2017 draft had a really weak OL class while the 2018 is supposed to be the opposite.  CBSSPORTS just had the Browns taking LT Orlando Brown Jr 1st overall in a way too early mock draft for what it's worth.  Lot's of highly graded OL's expected next draft.

    I'm not so sure about Thomas playing another 4 years let alone 4 years at a high level! Considering he's played 10k consecutive snaps and if you look at the modern era greats like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones , Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf ect all retired around 33 or 34 with their play declining significantly at those ages.  Though Andrew Whitworth at 35 is an exception, don't know how many career snaps he's played though. 

    I look on some Seahawks forums and I see a lot of Joe Thomas proposals.  That's why I mentioned the Seahawks!  I see proposals like a 1st+2nd or 3rd+throw ins like Rees Odhiambo or Matt Tobin.  They suggest they'd make cap room by trading the underutilized Jimmy Graham and CB Jeremy Lane somewhere.  They lost their starting LT George Fant to injury a couple weeks ago and their Oline was atrocious in week 1 and has been for the past few seasons.

    If they're willing to give the Browns a package like that for Thomas, I'd sure hope they jump all over it.

    @jimbojones said:

    From what I hear, 2017 draft had a really weak OL class while the 2018 is supposed to be the opposite.  CBSSPORTS just had the Browns taking LT Orlando Brown Jr 1st overall in a way too early mock draft for what it's worth.  Lot's of highly graded OL's expected next draft.

    I'm not so sure about Thomas playing another 4 years let alone 4 years at a high level! Considering he's played 10k consecutive snaps and if you look at the modern era greats like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones , Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf ect all retired around 33 or 34 with their play declining significantly at those ages.  Though Andrew Whitworth at 35 is an exception, don't know how many career snaps he's played though. 

    I look on some Seahawks forums and I see a lot of Joe Thomas proposals.  That's why I mentioned the Seahawks!  I see proposals like a 1st+2nd or 3rd+throw ins like Rees Odhiambo or Matt Tobin.  They suggest they'd make cap room by trading the underutilized Jimmy Graham and CB Jeremy Lane somewhere.  They lost their starting LT George Fant to injury a couple weeks ago and their Oline was atrocious in week 1 and has been for the past few seasons.

    If they're willing to give the Browns a package like that for Thomas, I'd sure hope they jump all over it.

    2017 definitely not a strong OL class... Not sure what 2018 will bring.

    As for the greats... Pace got hurt late in his career, Jones ended his career hurt, Ogden and Roaf had a little of both shorten their time. Even my, and most folk's, gold standard Anthony Munoz was hurt early, late and at the end. It's how most of the greats go out. But none of them had the kind of streak Joe's had. And I think they were all different styled LTs than Joe is. All strike me as having been more brute force imposers of will. Not that they did not have technique or athleticism for their size, but Joe is more of a technician. Not exactly a finesse player, but more so one than the other greats. And that should enhance his longevity.

    But anything can happen in the pits. Joe may decide he's had one too many memory lapses tomorrow. At least he did not play in the head slap era...

    As for offers... I'm a firm believer that you always have to answer the phone... but it'd be damn hard for me to trade Joe, unless he asked to go to a contender.

    Good discussion...

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Derwin James no matter what. 

    Derwin James + Jabrill Peppers = Endless Possibilities for Williams

    @mld-woody said:

    Derwin James

    I watched FSU's opener... I was not impressed. I know it's only one game and he hadn't seen live action in a while, but... meh.

    And there is the not so little issue of the injury. So I'm unimpressed and leery... so far....

  • I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

  • I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

    Not before having his replacement on staff. I am in no mood to "yet again" get rid of a veteran player with little to no plan to competently replace him with. Ur suggesting trading the star LT in a season where we're trying to properly groom a rookie qb. "Horrible" idea unless we'd have the guaranteed 1st pick.

    Im not taking some mid to high 1st rounder for JT when our o line is trying to find its groove. Thats just asking for a collapse of the o line cohesion

  • I'll go one step further...

    I want Joe to retire a Brown never having played anywhere else... and then join our staff and coach the OL. Anyone who witnessed Mitchell Schwartz's rise knows the guy can coach.

    It'd be great if he could retire with at least one AFCN Championship banner, if not an AFC banner, if not a ring...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

    Not before having his replacement on staff. I am in no mood to "yet again" get rid of a veteran player with little to no plan to competently replace him with. Ur suggesting trading the star LT in a season where we're trying to properly groom a rookie qb. "Horrible" idea unless we'd have the guaranteed 1st pick.

    Im not taking some mid to high 1st rounder for JT when our o line is trying to find its groove. Thats just asking for a collapse of the o line cohesion

    @clevfan4life said:

    Not before having his replacement on staff. I am in no mood to "yet again" get rid of a veteran player with little to no plan to competently replace him with. Ur suggesting trading the star LT in a season where we're trying to properly groom a rookie qb. "Horrible" idea unless we'd have the guaranteed 1st pick.

    Im not taking some mid to high 1st rounder for JT when our o line is trying to find its groove. Thats just asking for a collapse of the o line cohesion

    Fair enough, which is why I said I'd consider it,  not jump on it. It's also the reason I said Left Tackle should be a high priority for the Browns in the upcoming draft.

    I'd love to see him retire as a Cleveland Brown.

  • @wargograw said:

    So if Kizer works out, which positions would you want addressed with our 1st rounders, if you had your druthers?

    Not quite there yet, war... in part due to the premise, but just not enough data on what we have... or what is going to be in the draft and available when Day One.

    Another Edge? CB? MLB? WR? All possible, maybe even probable needs, but I can't say for sure let alone in what order the need and talent will fall.

    Could even be a RB in the mix... but I'll never admit that to Ag.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not quite there yet, war... in part due to the premise, but just not enough data on what we have... or what is going to be in the draft and available when Day One.

    Another Edge? CB? MLB? WR? All possible, maybe even probable needs, but I can't say for sure let alone in what order the need and talent will fall.

    Could even be a RB in the mix... but I'll never admit that to Ag.

    I'll be pissed if we have to take another d end. Hopefully Schobert fills MLB need. WR and RB sound good, especially if our defense is already a top 10 unit after this season. 

    @hoorta said:

    My take is- if anyone deserves the right to retire as a Brown- it's Joe Thomas. Both Bitonio and\or (hopefully) Coleman can slide to LT when Joe hangs 'em up. 

    Screw the Moneyball approach in this case. Thomas could long ago have demanded a trade to get out of the Football Hell that's been the Browns since he was drafted and go to a winning team- but he didn't. HOF level performance & loyalty should be rewarded. 

    PS saw on the PD Joe needs 4 more snaps to make it to 10,000 straight. Let that one settle in for a minute. We're talking the Cal Ripken of Football.

    Forget that. He knows it's a business. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

    Agreed. Would probably like a little more than a first rounder alone but I'd be listening. 

  • I'll go one step further...

    I want Joe to retire a Brown never having played anywhere else... and then join our staff and coach the OL. Anyone who witnessed Mitchell Schwartz's rise knows the guy can coach.

    It'd be great if he could retire with at least one AFCN Championship banner, if not an AFC banner, if not a ring...

    @tour2ma said:

    I'll go one step further...

    I want Joe to retire a Brown never having played anywhere else... and then join our staff and coach the OL. Anyone who witnessed Mitchell Schwartz's rise knows the guy can coach.

    It'd be great if he could retire with at least one AFCN Championship banner, if not an AFC banner, if not a ring...

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

  • I love Joe Thomas and want him to retire a Brown.......but at this point in his career, if someone offered a 1st round pick, you probably have to leap at it immediately.  

  • Trading Thomas gets a big fuck no from me. The only acceptable circumstance would be if he wanted the trade. That guy has earned the right to be here until he retires. He's never but he's that we sick and as easy as it would have been to sit out games he's broken consecutive snap records. He IS the Browns. 

  • Trading Thomas gets a big fuck no from me. The only acceptable circumstance would be if he wanted the trade. That guy has earned the right to be here until he retires. He's never but he's that we sick and as easy as it would have been to sit out games he's broken consecutive snap records. He IS the Browns. 

    @jcam222 said:

    Trading Thomas gets a big fuck no from me. The only acceptable circumstance would be if he wanted the trade. That guy has earned the right to be here until he retires. He's never but he's that we sick and as easy as it would have been to sit out games he's broken consecutive snap records. He IS the Browns. 

    Actually, didn't he ask for a trade a few years ago, when the Browns almost dealt him to Denver?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I'll go one step further...

    I want Joe to retire a Brown never having played anywhere else... and then join our staff and coach the OL. Anyone who witnessed Mitchell Schwartz's rise knows the guy can coach.

    It'd be great if he could retire with at least one AFCN Championship banner, if not an AFC banner, if not a ring...

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

    @jimbojones said:

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 

    Welcome Aboard Jim-blow-Jones..But your out your damn mind😵..This conversation should not ever happen till JT starts the conversation..JT has earned that much at least from this organization.   https://imgur.com/XT7wINt I will trade you Chris Tabor for nuthin

  • @jimbojones said:

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 

    Welcome Aboard Jim-blow-Jones..But your out your damn mind😵..This conversation should not ever happen till JT starts the conversation..JT has earned that much at least from this organization.   https://imgur.com/XT7wINt I will trade you Chris Tabor for nuthin

    @gumby73 said:

    Welcome Aboard Jim-blow-Jones..But your out your damn mind😵..This conversation should not ever happen till JT starts the conversation..JT has earned that much at least from this organization.   https://imgur.com/XT7wINt 

    fMnQem.gif

    Also:

    your.png

  • @gumby73 said:

    Welcome Aboard Jim-blow-Jones..But your out your damn mind😵..This conversation should not ever happen till JT starts the conversation..JT has earned that much at least from this organization.   https://imgur.com/XT7wINt 

    fMnQem.gif

    Also:

    your.png

    @jimbojones said:

    fMnQem.gif

    Also:

    your.png

    Aw chit, another English Professor in a White lab-coat on a Laptop😮..But this Mr. Jones brought flash cards..Read the last line in my profile & mix a stronger drink than umbrella drinks..Your in for a long ride with a bumpy start..But we are a equal opportunity internet Board with many opinions..So Good Luck out there Professor Jones..    

  • How about- Yo doggy you out yo mind fam?

  • What's with this "he's earned xyz" stuff? The guy gets a salary. If he wants to be rewarded for loyalty then we should pay him more. But the team does what's best for the team. 

  • I just want Joe Thomas to be here when we make it to the playoffs. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I'll go one step further...

    I want Joe to retire a Brown never having played anywhere else... and then join our staff and coach the OL. Anyone who witnessed Mitchell Schwartz's rise knows the guy can coach.

    It'd be great if he could retire with at least one AFCN Championship banner, if not an AFC banner, if not a ring...

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

    @jimbojones said:

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

    Fuck off newbie.

    JT will retire as a Cleveland Brown.

    Its bullshit to see players in their waning years play like a scrub for other teams:  Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals.  John Unitas with the Chargers. Joe Namath with the Rams.  Now, Adrian Peterson with the Saints. etc.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not quite there yet, war... in part due to the premise, but just not enough data on what we have... or what is going to be in the draft and available when Day One.

    Another Edge? CB? MLB? WR? All possible, maybe even probable needs, but I can't say for sure let alone in what order the need and talent will fall.

    Could even be a RB in the mix... but I'll never admit that to Ag.

    I'll be pissed if we have to take another d end. Hopefully Schobert fills MLB need. WR and RB sound good, especially if our defense is already a top 10 unit after this season. 

    @hoorta said:

    My take is- if anyone deserves the right to retire as a Brown- it's Joe Thomas. Both Bitonio and\or (hopefully) Coleman can slide to LT when Joe hangs 'em up. 

    Screw the Moneyball approach in this case. Thomas could long ago have demanded a trade to get out of the Football Hell that's been the Browns since he was drafted and go to a winning team- but he didn't. HOF level performance & loyalty should be rewarded. 

    PS saw on the PD Joe needs 4 more snaps to make it to 10,000 straight. Let that one settle in for a minute. We're talking the Cal Ripken of Football.

    Forget that. He knows it's a business. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm as big a Joe Thomas fan as anyone, but if someone offered a first round pick for him I'd be hard-pressed not to consider it. This is his 11th season. He's probably on borrowed time.

    Agreed. Would probably like a little more than a first rounder alone but I'd be listening. 

    @wargograw said:

    I'll be pissed if we have to take another d end. Hopefully Schobert fills MLB need. WR and RB sound good, especially if our defense is already a top 10 unit after this season.

    Edge does not necessarily mean DE... 😉 I could see a stud OLB pushing Kirk back inside where I'm sure he'd displace Joe.

    @jimbojones said:

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

    Ah.... the Kenny Lofton gambit... Don't see it happening in the NFL. (Has it ever happened in the NFL?) Main reason is you have to fill that LT slot... and that means investment.

    I'll admit to a loyalty factor when it comes to Joe, but first and foremost comes the performance hurdle... and right now Joe is clearing it with ease.

    Right now our #1 priority is developing a QB. Might be Kizer... might be one of four or so college players... regardless Joe is a key factor in giving whoever that QB is the best chance to develop. I don't think I can make a stronger case that this.

    And give gumby a break... the man has forgotten more football than most ever know... and he has not forgotten much. So just suck it up, buy a decoder ring (like the rest of us have) and enjoy...

  • @jimbojones said:

    You're a way more loyal fan than me. 😆 I just care about getting some value for him before he packs it in 😊...only if they're out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline though.

    How would you feel about getting the draft picks for him,  then getting him back after the 2018 season (when he's a free agent) IF he's still got some juice left AND our new 1st round LT pick hasn't worked out? Realistically, after the 2018 season should be when the Browns are LEGIT contenders if all the young guys develop properly...

    Fuck off newbie.

    JT will retire as a Cleveland Brown.

    Its bullshit to see players in their waning years play like a scrub for other teams:  Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals.  John Unitas with the Chargers. Joe Namath with the Rams.  Now, Adrian Peterson with the Saints. etc.

    @the-gipper said:

    Fuck off newbie.

    JT will retire as a Cleveland Brown.

    Its bullshit to see players in their waning years play like a scrub for other teams:  Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals.  John Unitas with the Chargers. Joe Namath with the Rams.  Now, Adrian Peterson with the Saints. etc.

    And  AP is ruining that Brees run O if you watched the game. He's having to keep two vets and a rookie happy and  it's killing the Brees passing game. And none of the 3 is happy in the three headed RB monster that was created.