Skip to content

Browns trade for WR Sammie Coates

The Browns Board
63 34 2.8k
  • Pgh is deep in wide receivers, and getting Bryant completely unsuspended 24 hours ago meant someone was likely to go. I thought Droppius Wayward-Boy would go. If Bryant gets caught again Pgh will wish they had Coates back. 

    Meanwhile Pgh allegedly is in the hunt for T.J. Ward. They could have a half Browns def backfield that would actually be pretty good - if this was 2014. They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Pgh is deep in wide receivers, and getting Bryant completely unsuspended 24 hours ago meant someone was likely to go. I thought Droppius Wayward-Boy would go. If Bryant gets caught again Pgh will wish they had Coates back. 

    Meanwhile Pgh allegedly is in the hunt for T.J. Ward. They could have a half Browns def backfield that would actually be pretty good - if this was 2014. They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

    We arent going to miss coates. I like him but he wont be missed. We have Brown, bryant, juju, justin hunter and eli rogers. As far as ward is concerned mitchell is still hurt with no time table, thats the only way i see ward getting signed. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Could be they are not sure when the Rothlesberger window is closing, so making a push now...

    and/or

    Concerned about signing Bell... his reported "ask" is a cap buster.

    Makes sense. When Bell does go on the open market, they will have to put extra shifts on at the US Mint to print enough money. OTOH he is not exactly Jim Brown in durability.. He has never completed a full season without injury. But there will be a big payday there unless he gets severely injured this season. Gotta admit though Pgh seems to know when to let a player go.....

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #30

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Makes sense. When Bell does go on the open market, they will have to put extra shifts on at the US Mint to print enough money. OTOH he is not exactly Jim Brown in durability.. He has never completed a full season without injury. But there will be a big payday there unless he gets severely injured this season. Gotta admit though Pgh seems to know when to let a player go.....

    Bell wont hit the open market, he just wants more guaranteed money  and his "i want 17" was a joke with players on the team. 

  • @buck-the-frowns said:

    Pgh is deep in wide receivers, and getting Bryant completely unsuspended 24 hours ago meant someone was likely to go. I thought Droppius Wayward-Boy would go. If Bryant gets caught again Pgh will wish they had Coates back. 

    Meanwhile Pgh allegedly is in the hunt for T.J. Ward. They could have a half Browns def backfield that would actually be pretty good - if this was 2014. They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

    We arent going to miss coates. I like him but he wont be missed. We have Brown, bryant, juju, justin hunter and eli rogers. As far as ward is concerned mitchell is still hurt with no time table, thats the only way i see ward getting signed. 

    chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @vagitron said:

    We arent going to miss coates. I like him but he wont be missed. We have Brown, bryant, juju, justin hunter and eli rogers. As far as ward is concerned mitchell is still hurt with no time table, thats the only way i see ward getting signed. 

    Just like browns won't miss haden. Think both teams benefit here tho...Joe's good for zone, browns need a field stretcher. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #32

    umm...so, I said that Brock would be our starter and that the Steelers would not trade a WR to us.

    I'm phucking brilliant apparently.  

    I bet it was this trade that put the kibosh on Rannell Hall.  (I wanted him on the team)

    --- I think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket and tell the cashier that there's no way I'll win  ---

  • StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
    #33
  • StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
    #34
  • G Gafreleets wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Somewhat surprising.

    He wasn't bad until he mangled his hand. After that it was drop city.

    Maybe he makes an adjustment and regains his previous form?

    Worth the risk for you guys

  • Can only hope the Browns find something there that the Stools couldnt....

    At the same time, you'd think they could find a comparable talent on the waiver wire in just a few hours....for free....

    Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mudfly said:

    Can only hope the Browns find something there that the Stools couldnt....

    At the same time, you'd think they could find a comparable talent on the waiver wire in just a few hours....for free....

    I was thinking same thing? I haven't seen enough of Coates due to his lack of playing time last year (Brown, Bell, Wheaton) but having two Auburn receivers might work. I think Ricardo Louis was Auburn and haven't seen him either. We need a big receiver for Rookie Kizer who has an arm! Someone who's going to fight for the 50/50 balls. Kenny Britt fits the description and should provide veteran leadership we're going to need with this very young team. 

    Kizer is going to need Coleman Britt, Crowell, Duke Johnson and a good offensive line! I wonder which tight end will be the starter? DeValve, Telfer or Njoku

    But say what you will the Browns are better than we think. Preseason matters for so many reason and I'm glad they went 4-0. Momentum, building confidence is a positive thing and will carry over into the regular season

  • @mudfly said:

    Can only hope the Browns find something there that the Stools couldnt....

    At the same time, you'd think they could find a comparable talent on the waiver wire in just a few hours....for free....

    I was thinking same thing? I haven't seen enough of Coates due to his lack of playing time last year (Brown, Bell, Wheaton) but having two Auburn receivers might work. I think Ricardo Louis was Auburn and haven't seen him either. We need a big receiver for Rookie Kizer who has an arm! Someone who's going to fight for the 50/50 balls. Kenny Britt fits the description and should provide veteran leadership we're going to need with this very young team. 

    Kizer is going to need Coleman Britt, Crowell, Duke Johnson and a good offensive line! I wonder which tight end will be the starter? DeValve, Telfer or Njoku

    But say what you will the Browns are better than we think. Preseason matters for so many reason and I'm glad they went 4-0. Momentum, building confidence is a positive thing and will carry over into the regular season

    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @opal312 said:

    But say what you will the Browns are better than we think. Preseason matters for so many reason and I'm glad they went 4-0. Momentum, building confidence is a positive thing and will carry over into the regular season

    I hope a 4-0 preseason does more for the Browns than it did for the 2008 Lions...

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #38

    The life expectancy of our "momentum" would be greater were we opening against the Jets...

    As for waiver wire WR options... or any position for that matter... I've looked at the waiver wire and it's...

    Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.j

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @stinkhole said:

    Coates = Braylon Edwards V2

    Brace yourselves for some of this.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000734531/Coates-drops-would-be-TD-on-perfect-pass-from-Roethlisberger

    finger.jpg

    Tory Holt had the same hands and could snag everything. 

  • @mudfly said:

    Can only hope the Browns find something there that the Stools couldnt....

    At the same time, you'd think they could find a comparable talent on the waiver wire in just a few hours....for free....

    I was thinking same thing? I haven't seen enough of Coates due to his lack of playing time last year (Brown, Bell, Wheaton) but having two Auburn receivers might work. I think Ricardo Louis was Auburn and haven't seen him either. We need a big receiver for Rookie Kizer who has an arm! Someone who's going to fight for the 50/50 balls. Kenny Britt fits the description and should provide veteran leadership we're going to need with this very young team. 

    Kizer is going to need Coleman Britt, Crowell, Duke Johnson and a good offensive line! I wonder which tight end will be the starter? DeValve, Telfer or Njoku

    But say what you will the Browns are better than we think. Preseason matters for so many reason and I'm glad they went 4-0. Momentum, building confidence is a positive thing and will carry over into the regular season

    B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @opal312 said:

    But say what you will the Browns are better than we think. 

    They almost have to be, by default. 1-15 is as ugly as it gets, and the only hope is that the franchise has hit rock bottom and bounces. All those high draft picks and nothing to show for it......

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @stinkhole said:

    Coates = Braylon Edwards V2

    Brace yourselves for some of this.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000734531/Coates-drops-would-be-TD-on-perfect-pass-from-Roethlisberger

    finger.jpg

    Looks like the dude had his fingers cut off, then some white ones sewn back on....crooked too....

    Id like to see him and JPP thumb wrestlin....

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #42

     I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #43

    A decoy for our top notch recievers ?

  •  I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @nickers said:

     I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

  • @nickers said:

     I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #45

    @vagitron said:

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    All it means to me is  Coco and Louis still suck if were still going after someones leftovers...

  • @nickers said:

     I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @vagitron said:

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    Really?  LImas Sweed,  Willie Reid, Dri Archer, Troy Edwards.(even Coates himself...since you don't think much of him)  What are these guys doing for you?  Since 2000 the Steelers are about 50/50.

    (but, that is a good percentage, compared to the Browns who are kind o Ohfer)

  • @nickers said:

     I honestly don't get the move...He's been a bust so far...

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #47

    @vagitron said:

    Hes been hurt. The steelers dont really miss on wr's. He was just the odd man out with juju getting drafted and bryant getting reinstated. A spoil of riches at wr in pgh. I thought we may cut heyward bey but hes an ace on special teams. Coates just wasnt needed. 

    2005: Fred Gibson

    4 of 7

    In 2005, the Steelers selected Fred Gibson in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. Gibson stood at 6'4" and had good speed. The Steelers hoped he could be the replacement for Plaxico Burress.

    Gibson survived until final cuts with the Steelers, and when he was released, he joined the Miami Dolphins practice squad, where he remained for two years.

    In 2007, Gibson signed with the Atlanta Falcons, and was released three days later for missing a team meeting.

    He then signed with the St. Louis Rams on August 6th, and was released on August 31st.

    Gibson then signed with the New York Giants on September 3rd to join their practice squad, and was released five days later

    2008: Limas Sweed

    6 of 7

    When the Steelers selected Limas Sweed in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft, many people believed that the Steelers had finally found the stud, big receiver that Ben Roethlisberger wanted.

    Sweed had all the look of the part, unfortunately though, he didn't have the talent and ability to stay healthy needed to go with it.

    After injuries in his first two years, the Steelers finally cut Sweed's cord at the end of the lockout.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Limas Sweed? lol...