A and him put Rosen on Heisman lead
-
A and him? Hmmmm.
I had an unscheduled impromptu personal tour of all of Aggieland at about 2 am in 1982, a plebe and I got stuck on the LAST standby flight out of DFW on a botched flight on a business trip there and I had a guaranteed rental car at the local airport there.....poor girl was sleeping on the counter waiting for me to get there well after midnight. The plebe's ride had long left him so I drove him to his dorm but he gave me a tour of the whole very empty place back then. I never got the young man's name.....too bad I wonder what ever happened to him and his career? Sure was a BIG place just the cows and us were up at that time....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.
-
Voice recognition fubar
-
A and him? Hmmmm.
I had an unscheduled impromptu personal tour of all of Aggieland at about 2 am in 1982, a plebe and I got stuck on the LAST standby flight out of DFW on a botched flight on a business trip there and I had a guaranteed rental car at the local airport there.....poor girl was sleeping on the counter waiting for me to get there well after midnight. The plebe's ride had long left him so I drove him to his dorm but he gave me a tour of the whole very empty place back then. I never got the young man's name.....too bad I wonder what ever happened to him and his career? Sure was a BIG place just the cows and us were up at that time....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.
....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
-
Wouldn't that be 99 yards and 1 foot? Why is it 98?
-
....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
I remember John Randle but not any pro punter.
When I worked for GATX the largest railroad tank car manufacturing facility in the USA was in Masury, OH along with the largest repair shop and a big waste treatment facility all which were shut down in 1984. The plant was about 3 1/2 miles long quite an operation, production went to other non-union shops largely in Texas. Our second largest repair shop was in Hearne, TX which I was visiting along with 6 other smaller shops in Texas. We also had and still do have the largest fleet of leased tank cars in the USA. I left in 1983.
-
Wouldn't that be 99 yards and 1 foot? Why is it 98?
The ball gets counted officially as on the 1 yard line, even if it's less, on both ends of the punt, so the net gain can only be 98 in the record books. I was watching it on TV from my parents home in Conn. while getting ready to report to Infantry School about two weeks later. So I got to see it from initial placement to the full rolling dead. Amazing punt.
Here's the full story behind his kick and how he became a punter in college and on to the Jets. I was a good friend of his roommate Tommy Maxwell (still am) and we shagged punts for him for a pro scout from Houston Oilers. That ball stayed up so long every time that I finally understood how Maxwell could often arrive for the tackle at the same time the ball arrived to the punt returner. Maxwell later got a Superbowl ring with the Colts as a CB.
This interview says his practice is in Bryan, but I'm fairly certain he started it in his home town of Hearne.
-
....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
Don't know: best guesses: Horace Gillam?
(Ray Guy seems an obvious answer, but I don't think it is him)
Edit: Oh, I see you answered it. Never would have gotten it. Never heard of that Steven O'Neal. A guy named Steve O'Neill was once the owner of the Cleveland Indians though.
-
So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.
This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.
Don't know: best guesses: Horace Gillam?
(Ray Guy seems an obvious answer, but I don't think it is him)
Edit: Oh, I see you answered it. Never would have gotten it. Never heard of that Steven O'Neal. A guy named Steve O'Neill was once the owner of the Cleveland Indians though.
Don't know: best guesses: Horace Gillam?
(Ray Guy seems an obvious answer, but I don't think it is him)
Edit: Oh, I see you answered it. Never would have gotten it. Never heard of that Steven O'Neal. A guy named Steve O'Neill was once the owner of the Cleveland Indians though.
His records at A&M stood until Shane Lechler showed up about 30 years after O'Neal. Lechler is still punting and currently has the longest average per punt in the NFL for a career. His average is over 5 yds per punt greater than Ray Guy. He should retire today rather than go downhill from 47.5 yds/punt.

-
Small world. Hearne way back was a big rail hub in the southern USA, if you look at a rail map (and why would you) a lot of lines just seems to converge in that area. Hearne itself was just a dot on the map just over 5,000 people well I haven't been there since the early 1980s so I looked it up today:
.....With the construction of a depot in Hearne in 1868, businesses began to open, including a hotel, saloons, churches and a cotton gin. Two rail lines met in Hearne by the 1870s. Hearne's population was 2,129 in 1900 and 3,511 in 1940. Between 1943 and 1946, a prison camp operated near the city limits and held several thousand German prisoners of war. Agricultural and manufacturing businesses came to Hearne by the 1960s. By 1990, over 5,000 people lived in Hearne; the population was 4,690 in 2000.
Wal-Mart closure
On New Years' Eve 1990, the Wal-Mart in Hearne closed. After closure, the store was converted into the current Hearne High School. Merchants in downtown Hearne by that time had already folded their businesses because they were unable to compete with Wal-Mart. The New York Times reported that out of more than 1,500 Wal-Mart stores in the nation, the Hearne store was one of six that had closed.......
That's it.
-
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
-
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
There is an old air strip just outside Hearne where I learned how to be a skydiver and earned my sport jumpmasters license. Also used to take a train from there to Austin to visit my grandparents back in the 50's. I gave my old license to my skydiving daughter after she won a national meet as a member of a 4 person skydiving relative work team in Denver. Twenty different formation in 60 seconds of freefall and they were perfect. I was never that good.
-
I arrived in Hearne between 2 and 3 am for the first time and saw nothing but barb wire fences and cows out of College Station /Bryan headed west, I didn't know that I was even there until I saw a HEARNE FORD sign on a building.
Had an 8 am meeting which I postponed and was staying at the Best Western motel, went next door to the Ponderosa diner all dressed in my northern Yankee garb caring an attache case and realized immediately I was the only one there with a jacket and tie, not a bolo.......just the beginning of the differences between Youngstown area and Tex-ass! And the plant, what a mess by our uptight standards........

-
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
If you were on 79/190 through Hearne you went right by our GATX repair shop right next to 79 and the tracks that went for miles many with inbound or outbound tank cars.
-
Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago. May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79
If you were on 79/190 through Hearne you went right by our GATX repair shop right next to 79 and the tracks that went for miles many with inbound or outbound tank cars.
If you were on 79/190 through Hearne you went right by our GATX repair shop right next to 79 and the tracks that went for miles many with inbound or outbound tank cars.
I dunno, I was just looking the yellow and white lines on the road in front of me....or I was looking for some Golden Arches. I have been to a number of Texas towns and paid quite a bit of attention to what is there...but not Hearne.
-
And just when I think you can't get any more stupid Sumlin does it again. With a 7 point lead less than 40 seconds to go on 3rd down with the other team having no time outs. Do they take a knee and end the game with a win as the clock has to run out before the play clock does. No-they throw an incomplete pass and then risk it all by kicking a field goal against a team that has already blocked one this year. Fortunately it was good, but it didn't even have to be kicked. So stupid even an elementary school coach would have taken a knee and the sure win.

-
Looks like Texas A&M just gave the lead in the Heisman race to Josh Rosen of UCLA given that he came back from a 34 point deficit
Looks like Texas A&M just gave the lead in the Heisman race to Josh Rosen of UCLA given that he came back from a 34 point deficit
Meh... I watched that game and did not see a Heisman winner. Kid has tools to be sure, but some of the throws he got away with in the comeback were ill-advised... and that's being very kind.
Apparently he threw 5 TDs in today's game, which I did not see.
-
Looks like Texas A&M just gave the lead in the Heisman race to Josh Rosen of UCLA given that he came back from a 34 point deficit
Meh... I watched that game and did not see a Heisman winner. Kid has tools to be sure, but some of the throws he got away with in the comeback were ill-advised... and that's being very kind.
Apparently he threw 5 TDs in today's game, which I did not see.
Meh... I watched that game and did not see a Heisman winner. Kid has tools to be sure, but some of the throws he got away with in the comeback were ill-advised... and that's being very kind.
Apparently he threw 5 TDs in today's game, which I did not see.
And Darnold & Co ate up Stanford so there's that.
-
Well, some people think that Baker Mayfield may have pushed himself up to near the top of the heap of Heisman Candidates with Saturday's game. Maybe, maybe not. But Barrett clearly fell off the heap.
-
Well, some people think that Baker Mayfield may have pushed himself up to near the top of the heap of Heisman Candidates with Saturday's game. Maybe, maybe not. But Barrett clearly fell off the heap.
Well, some people think that Baker Mayfield may have pushed himself up to near the top of the heap of Heisman Candidates with Saturday's game. Maybe, maybe not. But Barrett clearly fell off the heap.
Mayfield at least gets props for best flag plant of the year. And no one in the OSU band would try to stop him.

-
Well, some people think that Baker Mayfield may have pushed himself up to near the top of the heap of Heisman Candidates with Saturday's game. Maybe, maybe not. But Barrett clearly fell off the heap.
Mayfield at least gets props for best flag plant of the year. And no one in the OSU band would try to stop him.

Mayfield at least gets props for best flag plant of the year. And no one in the OSU band would try to stop him.

What World do you live in Alice? Where worst is best and best is worst, and up is down and down is up.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login