Old movie? "Unbroken"
-
I never saw this movie before. Watched it the other night. It's the true story of a young man,
who got into trouble a lot when he was a kid, but he ended up qualifying as a runner in the Olympics.
Ends up in service during the war, his plane crashes, and they become POW's in Japan held territory.
Tough and sad to watch - the cruelty and violence is tough to watch, sickening. NOT a movie you
want kids around to see any of it. But, as a true story, it just tells the truth of how things were..
The cruel, sadistic commander of the camp was really convincing. The whole movie was convincing.
Only because it was based on a true story, I hung in there and watching it. I kept wanting a drone to
fly over and take out the Japanese war criminals. The ending is also history - the Olympian main
character..in real life, years later....went back to Japan to meet former soldiers. The one who refused to meet him...
was the Japanese sicko commandant that ran the POW prison. After the war, he had gone into hiding,
until the American gov gave him amnesty, to do a start over with the Japanese people.
I would never have granted it.
-
Very good movie, great book. Written by same author of 'Seabiscuit'. One of the supporting actors (John Magano)in the movie is from Stow.
-
Very good movie, great book. Written by same author of 'Seabiscuit'. One of the supporting actors (John Magano)in the movie is from Stow.
Very good movie, great book. Written by same author of 'Seabiscuit'. One of the supporting actors (John Magano)in the movie is from Stow.
That author is Laura Hillenbrand. A graduate of Kenyon College. (as is my son).
As was John Green, Author of book made into movie "The Fault in Our Stars"
As was E.L. Doctorow, Author of book made into movie: "Ragtime".
As was Carl Djerassi....inventor of the birth control pill
As was Bill Watterson...author Calvin and Hobbes.
As was Ranson Riggs...author of book turned into Movie: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
As was William H. Gass...author of book turned into Movie: The Tunnel.
As was Caleb Carr...author of the book "The Alienist" which is now going to become a TV series.
etc. etc. Not bad for a school of only 1600 students.
-
Very good movie, great book. Written by same author of 'Seabiscuit'. One of the supporting actors (John Magano)in the movie is from Stow.
That author is Laura Hillenbrand. A graduate of Kenyon College. (as is my son).
As was John Green, Author of book made into movie "The Fault in Our Stars"
As was E.L. Doctorow, Author of book made into movie: "Ragtime".
As was Carl Djerassi....inventor of the birth control pill
As was Bill Watterson...author Calvin and Hobbes.
As was Ranson Riggs...author of book turned into Movie: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
As was William H. Gass...author of book turned into Movie: The Tunnel.
As was Caleb Carr...author of the book "The Alienist" which is now going to become a TV series.
etc. etc. Not bad for a school of only 1600 students.
That author is Laura Hillenbrand. A graduate of Kenyon College. (as is my son).
As was John Green, Author of book made into movie "The Fault in Our Stars"
As was E.L. Doctorow, Author of book made into movie: "Ragtime".
As was Carl Djerassi....inventor of the birth control pill
As was Bill Watterson...author Calvin and Hobbes.
As was Ranson Riggs...author of book turned into Movie: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
As was William H. Gass...author of book turned into Movie: The Tunnel.
As was Caleb Carr...author of the book "The Alienist" which is now going to become a TV series.
etc. etc. Not bad for a school of only 1600 students.
And actors Paul Newman, Josh Radnor (Ted on 'How I Met Your Mother') and Allison Janney ('The West Wing', 'The Help'). Plus President Rutherford B. Hayes.
-
That author is Laura Hillenbrand. A graduate of Kenyon College. (as is my son).
As was John Green, Author of book made into movie "The Fault in Our Stars"
As was E.L. Doctorow, Author of book made into movie: "Ragtime".
As was Carl Djerassi....inventor of the birth control pill
As was Bill Watterson...author Calvin and Hobbes.
As was Ranson Riggs...author of book turned into Movie: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
As was William H. Gass...author of book turned into Movie: The Tunnel.
As was Caleb Carr...author of the book "The Alienist" which is now going to become a TV series.
etc. etc. Not bad for a school of only 1600 students.
And actors Paul Newman, Josh Radnor (Ted on 'How I Met Your Mother') and Allison Janney ('The West Wing', 'The Help'). Plus President Rutherford B. Hayes.
And actors Paul Newman, Josh Radnor (Ted on 'How I Met Your Mother') and Allison Janney ('The West Wing', 'The Help'). Plus President Rutherford B. Hayes.
Yes,.....and Jonathan Winters, and former Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, plus Edwin Stanton Sec'y of War under Lincoln (who made the quote: now he belongs to the ages), plus a former Prime Minister of Sweden, Olaf Palme (who was assassinated actually)....and Bill Veeck, former owner of the Indians and White Sox, And Shaka Smart,
-
that's amazing stuff.
-
I loved the book and movie. I used to run a group for ex-POW's in a VA mental health clinic and by far the ones with the worst stories of mistreatment were held by the Japanese. I was proud to know one of the men in that group who had survived the Bataan Death March. He just could not get to a place in his heart to forgive them as a people. I totally understood why.
-
I loved the book and movie. I used to run a group for ex-POW's in a VA mental health clinic and by far the ones with the worst stories of mistreatment were held by the Japanese. I was proud to know one of the men in that group who had survived the Bataan Death March. He just could not get to a place in his heart to forgive them as a people. I totally understood why.
I loved the book and movie. I used to run a group for ex-POW's in a VA mental health clinic and by far the ones with the worst stories of mistreatment were held by the Japanese. I was proud to know one of the men in that group who had survived the Bataan Death March. He just could not get to a place in his heart to forgive them as a people. I totally understood why.
There's another really good newer movie regarding this, about British POWs and the Japanese in WWII called 'The Railway Man'. The main character goes home after the war, then decides to go back and kill one of the Japanese guards who tormented him. Really good flick.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login