Skip to content

NFL struggles in LA

The Browns Board
87 20 2.7k
  • @texasag1969 said:

    And in Cali it's legal for motorcycles to go between cars lined up in two lanes (or more). Amazing!

    Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

    I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @tour2ma said:

    Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

    I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

    To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @boo-fagley said:

    Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

    And that may in fact be what it was all about. Like someone said: image...and greed. I mean, face it.... IF the Chargers really felt they had to leave SD, they would likely have been better off becoming the San Antonio Chargers. But, Jeremiah Jackass would never want a team to intrude on what he thinks is HIS territory in San Antone (by the way...it is actually split between the Cowgirls and the DATs) 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

    I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

    To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @texasag1969 said:

    To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

    Imagine a guy doing 100+ in traffic.....and also having above a .30  BAC.   I have seen that and worse in matters that have come before me.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @boo-fagley said:

    Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

    One of these times the NFL is going get burned on a northern Super Bowl where it really snows causing a mess and where everyone has a terrible experience. The Jerry Jones Super Bowl was a near disaster and it hardly snowed. 1/2" of snow on the ground and Texans abandon their cars on the side of the road and grocery store shelves for milk and bread are bare.

    This is like no NFL stadium that I have ever seen. https://la.curbed.com/2015/1/12/10003190/the-high-public-cost-of-the-proposed-inglewood-nfl-stadium

    LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

    One of these times the NFL is going get burned on a northern Super Bowl where it really snows causing a mess and where everyone has a terrible experience. The Jerry Jones Super Bowl was a near disaster and it hardly snowed. 1/2" of snow on the ground and Texans abandon their cars on the side of the road and grocery store shelves for milk and bread are bare.

    This is like no NFL stadium that I have ever seen. https://la.curbed.com/2015/1/12/10003190/the-high-public-cost-of-the-proposed-inglewood-nfl-stadium

    LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @mark-o said:

    LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

  • @mark-o said:

    LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @the-gipper said:

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

    Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @boo-fagley said:

    #1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit.

    Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

    Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

    Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @boo-fagley said:

    When I was living there, if you bought a used car the plates were already on the car and stayed with the vehicle for life. I dont recall any sticker to affix proving that they were valid and up to date. The police would have to run the tag number to find out if the vehicle was registered.

    Today you would get busted in a week because they have those licence plate scanners.

    Moved here in the mid-70's and there were stickers for the rear plate until they went to the window decal maybe 20 years ago?

    But plates used to have to stay with the car. Now seller has the option of keeping (retiring) the plates.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

    Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @mark-o said:

    Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

    Just bustin' your chops, chopper! 😉

  • @boo-fagley said:

    #1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit.

    Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

    Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

    Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @tour2ma said:

    Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

    Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

    Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

    Well, that is going to be part of my route in October, hopefull.   So...I-10 is now good to go?

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #80

    USC outdraws the Chargers and Rams combined this past weekend....

    For their regular-season home opener at the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, the Chargers attracted 25,381 fans. The Rams, in their Week Two game against Washington, had 56,612 present. That’s a total of 81,993 for a pair of Los Angeles home games played on the same day.

    Bryan Fischer@BryanDFischer
    LA attendance:
    Chargers - 25,381
    Rams - 56,612
    NFL combined - 81,993

    USC v. Texas - 84,714

    The previous night at the Coliseum, USC drew 84,714 for a game against Texas. Which, obviously, is more than the combined attendance of the two NFL games.

    Yes, the Chargers were closer to the stadium maximum than the Rams. But the fact that the Chargers can’t sell 27,000 tickets to an NFL game is alarming, especially since San Diego State drew more than 43,000 to the venue the Chargers abandoned a day earlier.

    Bryan Fischer@BryanDFischer
    Chargers on Sunday: 25,381
    Qualcomm on Saturday (SDSU): 43,040
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #81

    Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

  • Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @londonbrown said:

    Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

    More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

  • @mark-o said:

    LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @the-gipper said:

    Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  😛😎

    Must be for the unique weather. You know, floods during a drought followed by fire and then earthquake season. 

  • @londonbrown said:

    Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

    More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @mark-o said:

    More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

    I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

  • @mark-o said:

    More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

    I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

    Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

    Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @the-gipper said:

    Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

    I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

    I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg
    #87

    @mark-o said:

    I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

    100 bucks to park??? Yeah...that will really bring'em to the stadium.