QB for 2017
-
And Hogan is on his 3rd year as a pro and 2nd year here so I would expect him to initially be a little better, but that does not make him our future. If at the end of the season we see no improvement with the Kaiser, then ok, maybe your are right about him. Right now it's way too early to make that judgement.
Actually, no I don't think that is right. This is only Hogan's second year, no? He and Kessler came out the same year.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HogaKe00.htm
I am not against Hogan....I just think that PoG slavering over him as if he were to become some kind of savior is absurd.
Actually, no I don't think that is right. This is only Hogan's second year, no? He and Kessler came out the same year.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HogaKe00.htm
I am not against Hogan....I just think that PoG slavering over him as if he were to become some kind of savior is absurd.
You are correct. My bad. For some reason I thought he was with KC a full year before we got him. Apparently not. He was released by them Sept. the same year he was drafted.
-
Start Kizer, he's the youngest QB in the league and he's going to make mistakes because he's inexperienced -> trying to do too much. Either he learns some patience and develops or he doesn't. At any rate he is the most talented QB on the roster, and it isn't even close.
Fair or not, the simple fact is that Hogan wasnt able to earn a roster spot for the team that drafted him, and won't receive the same opportunities as a 2nd round pick. There are reasons he didn't get any preseason action against guys who are currently on an NFL roster. Most likely, this coaching staff has come to the conclusion that Kevin is a viable back up, but not the future. They have far more raw data on the matter than I do, so I'll take their word for it as KH has done nothing to prove them wrong.
I dont agree with playing an inferior QB just so the young guy can sit and learn. All of our QBs are young, might as well let the kid with the most upside get the on field experience. Deshone has made plenty of mistakes, but has still shown composure and confidence that is impressive for a player his age.
-
Start Kizer, he's the youngest QB in the league and he's going to make mistakes because he's inexperienced -> trying to do too much. Either he learns some patience and develops or he doesn't. At any rate he is the most talented QB on the roster, and it isn't even close.
Fair or not, the simple fact is that Hogan wasnt able to earn a roster spot for the team that drafted him, and won't receive the same opportunities as a 2nd round pick. There are reasons he didn't get any preseason action against guys who are currently on an NFL roster. Most likely, this coaching staff has come to the conclusion that Kevin is a viable back up, but not the future. They have far more raw data on the matter than I do, so I'll take their word for it as KH has done nothing to prove them wrong.
I dont agree with playing an inferior QB just so the young guy can sit and learn. All of our QBs are young, might as well let the kid with the most upside get the on field experience. Deshone has made plenty of mistakes, but has still shown composure and confidence that is impressive for a player his age.
Fair or not, the simple fact is that Hogan wasnt able to earn a roster spot for the team that drafted him,
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
-
Fair or not, the simple fact is that Hogan wasnt able to earn a roster spot for the team that drafted him,
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
Of course, that can happen. I mean, Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers who drafted him. There are other examples. Not that I am on his bandwagon at all....I am just saying.
-
Fair or not, the simple fact is that Hogan wasnt able to earn a roster spot for the team that drafted him,
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
Yup... a roster overseen by a HC that has a strong QB resume to boot.
I dont agree with playing an inferior QB just so the young guy can sit and learn
Who would? The thing is no one thought Kizer was going to be the superior QB at season's start. That hill he had to climb just managing a huddle and getting play calls, and working under Center (where he needs to spend more time IMO) turned out to be a mole hill. That was the stuff he could, and had to, learn by sitting and studying his ass off. Well... he sat through about half the preseason, learned and graduated from QB College.
Now it's Grad school level stuff. It's school of hard knocks time... and he's got the lumps to prove it. What he lacks... and I will try to make this the last time I beat this drum... is a full-time professor.
Hue! Sit with the kid for a period after each series! Review his latest test score with him and go over material for the next exam that is coming right up! Doing so will be the best use of the time you have while the D is on the field.
-
I think that we forget that he was in fact drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and didn't survive roster cuts.
Yup... a roster overseen by a HC that has a strong QB resume to boot.
I dont agree with playing an inferior QB just so the young guy can sit and learn
Who would? The thing is no one thought Kizer was going to be the superior QB at season's start. That hill he had to climb just managing a huddle and getting play calls, and working under Center (where he needs to spend more time IMO) turned out to be a mole hill. That was the stuff he could, and had to, learn by sitting and studying his ass off. Well... he sat through about half the preseason, learned and graduated from QB College.
Now it's Grad school level stuff. It's school of hard knocks time... and he's got the lumps to prove it. What he lacks... and I will try to make this the last time I beat this drum... is a full-time professor.
Hue! Sit with the kid for a period after each series! Review his latest test score with him and go over material for the next exam that is coming right up! Doing so will be the best use of the time you have while the D is on the field.
Hue! Sit with the kid for a period after each series! Review his latest test score with him and go over material for the next exam that is coming right up! Doing so will be the best use of the time you have while the D is on the field.
I don't know how many times you & I have said this. And it's not like we've got some IFFY DC. Williams is perfectly capable of handling things while Hue works with the QB and or the offense.
-
Who's got the challenge flag while Mcvie sits on the ice cooler🥷..Though-out the Colts game Hue has a large notebook that looks like full of still photos that may have Kizer's name written all over it..worth another look?
Who's got the challenge flag while Mcvie sits on the ice cooler🥷..
Though-out the Colts game Hue has a large notebook that looks like full of still photos that may have Kizer's name written all over it..worth another look?
Is there a rule about how many flags a staff can have? If not, I'm betting Wade has one, too. Most of the calls on whether to challenge or not are made by staff in the Press Box anyway. I seem to remember a couple teams have designated "Replay review" coach(es). Hue, I'm available for the price of a plane ticket, room and board.
The "big book" has to be the stills from the prior series... just the stuff an OC goes over with his QB...
... and the beat goes on... the beat goes on... Drums keep pounding rhythm to the brain...
-
Who's got the challenge flag while Mcvie sits on the ice cooler🥷..Though-out the Colts game Hue has a large notebook that looks like full of still photos that may have Kizer's name written all over it..worth another look?
Who's got the challenge flag while Mcvie sits on the ice cooler🥷..
That's part of the deal when you're the OC and HC (or DC & HC).
As has been said, there's people in the sky boxes watching for that stuff...and watching the replays...of which in OUR games there are fewer replays and stuff because we're a sucky team.
-
The worst part was calling a timeout AND THEN challenging a call that cost us TWO timeouts in one fell swoop... face palm.
-
Has Hue even won a challenge yet?......dont think so.....
Looks like his eye in the sky is wrong.....(often)
Has Hue even won a challenge yet?......dont think so.....
Looks like his eye in the sky is wrong.....(often)
Sometimes ya just have to challenge the play because it's your last ditch effort to try and win the game. So you challenge and hope for a miracle.
Did that really happen? If so, shameful.
Yeah. I don't remember for sure, it might have been the long completion towards the end of the Steeler game. We called TO, then challenged.
-
Has Hue even won a challenge yet?......dont think so.....
Looks like his eye in the sky is wrong.....(often)
Sometimes ya just have to challenge the play because it's your last ditch effort to try and win the game. So you challenge and hope for a miracle.
Did that really happen? If so, shameful.
Yeah. I don't remember for sure, it might have been the long completion towards the end of the Steeler game. We called TO, then challenged.
-
Cant agree.....not when it costs you to do it.....hoping for a miracle is not a good winning strategy.....
I disagree with your can't agree.

I signed up for nfl gamepass. It is as I thought, it was the long completion towards the end of the Steeler game to Brown. We called TO. We looked at the replay and saw that the ball came out as Brown was going to get up. We HAD to challenge that. If that play is allowed to stand then we lose for sure. There was SOME chance that the replay ref might reverse the call. To NOT challenge it (even though the chances of reversing weren't great) would've been like saying, "I give up".
-
Has Hue even won a challenge yet?......dont think so.....
Looks like his eye in the sky is wrong.....(often)
Sometimes ya just have to challenge the play because it's your last ditch effort to try and win the game. So you challenge and hope for a miracle.
Did that really happen? If so, shameful.
Yeah. I don't remember for sure, it might have been the long completion towards the end of the Steeler game. We called TO, then challenged.
Yeah. I don't remember for sure, it might have been the long completion towards the end of the Steeler game. We called TO, then challenged.
That'd be it... the AB leap. Seems to me... you just challenge and take your chances based upon any question considering the impact of the play... but that's me... and most of y'all...
HUE! Buddy! My offer still stands...
-
I said in the Keizer thread that I watched the Colts game (signed up for gamepass today) and felt that I agreed with Joe Thomas that Keizer probably had his best game so far. It wasn't great...but it wasn't as bad as his numbers show. 3 INT's...but one was the Hail Mary last play of the game and one was when the new receiver turned inside when Keizer clearly thought he was supposed to turn outside. The other INT is on him, but if Britt was a real good receiver he might have made that catch of the ball thrown behind him.
Then there was the 3 offensive PI calls. And of course, the dropped passes. It wasn't 8 drops as a few of them were the defenders doing a good job of tackling while dislodging the ball with their arms & hands. But MAAAaaan he threw a nice long one to Louis along the sidelines...and of course, Ricky Ricardo dropped it.

I thought he looked more aware of getting the ball out. But I also saw plays where a guy was open in front of him but he delayed throwing it to him because he wanted to go somewhere deeper. I think that's only natural...especially when you have a coach that wants you to be the madd bomber...but throwing it earlier to the open man gives him more YAC because by the time he's decided to take the easy one the defender has realised that he's open and starts closing in. Still though, I believe it to be improvement...
Now Cincy, this week, will pose a different problem. Keizer will not have much time in the pocket to decide where to go with the ball. I would expect to see a little regression in his play this week. I think Tretter will struggle more this week and it's always bad for a QB when the trouble comes right up the gutt at you.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login