Skip to content

Wide Receiver Shopping

The Browns Board
33 20 1.6k
  • So...what we need is one of those sure handed slow white guys?  Brian Brennan, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman types?

    And he don't have to be white.   Jordan Leslie could be that guy.  His one catch was something to behold.

    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/24/16357784/jordan-leslie-browns-colts-odell-beckham-catch-wow

  • @tour2ma said:

    What is it you are trying to accomplish?

    Putting someone on the field in the receiver position that is actually NFL capable. Seriously we have a pile of shit and a rookie QB throwing to them. I am not suggesting we give out high round picks but the current stable of receivers has to be upgraded period. 

    @jcam222 said:

    Putting someone on the field in the receiver position that is actually NFL capable. Seriously we have a pile of shit and a rookie QB throwing to them. I am not suggesting we give out high round picks but the current stable of receivers has to be upgraded period. 

    Appreciate... if we need to upgrade to aid the evaluation and progression of Kizer, then I can get on board with that.

    @jcam222 said:

    We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

    1.  Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 
    2. Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him
    3. Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.
    4. Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.
    5. In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins 🙂
    6. Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!
    1. Inman would seem to fill your bill. Had a nice 2016 with Rivers in SD. Has a career catch percentage of ~60% including a drop rate of 4%. If SD's #1 pick Williams is coming on, then Inman should be available... especially since he's pushing 29 yo. SD has three WRs on their PS.
    2. Butler looks to be less desirable and a tougher get given DAL only has 4 WR on the 53 and only two more on the PS. Numbers aren't as good either.
    3. I don't think Bills have given up on 2017 quite yet. Their transactions are bottom churning... just like ours.
    4. Landry is going nowhere.
    5. Hopkins ditto...
    6. VJ? No... there's a reason he retired.

    Add that:

    • as you indicated #4, Hopkins, is way more expensive than your original premise would seem to allow. I see # 5 and #3 too expensive as well.
    • we made a WR move... his name is Coates.

    Aside... in looking your lesser known guys over I stumbled across a very friendly site.. https://www.playerprofiler.com/

    If you do not already know it... check it out.

  • PoG doesn't seem too pleased that Kizer is not Tom Brady 

    I.....just......can't 

  • PoG doesn't seem too pleased that Kizer is not Tom Brady 

    I.....just......can't 

    @londonbrown said:

    PoG doesn't seem too pleased that Kizer is not Tom Brady 

    I.....just......can't 

    He just has a hard on for the back up QB.   He has a thing for guys who just aren't that good (save for Gordon, but he can't stop smoking marijuana to get himself on the field).

  • So what happened to all the WRs that this FO drafted so far?  Bad luck or bad talent evaluation? 

  • I believe it's neither - just slimmer pickins down the line...but there were priorities to build the defense

    into a winner, and a dynamic young TE was a player they needed... I was fine with waiting on a wr, but not the

    next draft. First or second round wr, flat out.

  • That's a factor, cal... but Coleman fits pretty easily into the hard luck category.

    Other picks? Went fishin' in 2016... cast a broad net that might end up empty beyond Devalve, who looks like a keeper.

  • I believe it's neither - just slimmer pickins down the line...but there were priorities to build the defense

    into a winner, and a dynamic young TE was a player they needed... I was fine with waiting on a wr, but not the

    next draft. First or second round wr, flat out.

    @calfoxwc said:

    a dynamic young TE was a player they needed... I was fine with waiting on a wr, but not the

    next draft. First or second round wr, flat out.

    You do understand we just drafted a WR in the first last year....right?.....plus 3 more in the later rounds.....plus signed a FA.....plus like 12 UDFA's?......and not one has shown up yet......

    So....are you waiting for us to draft one or waiting for us to get one right?.......next years the charm(wink wink)....hahahahaha

  • So what happened to all the WRs that this FO drafted so far?  Bad luck or bad talent evaluation? 

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    So what happened to all the WRs that this FO drafted so far?  Bad luck or bad talent evaluation? 

    That’s the point I’ve been making.

    I’ve been hearing about all the great young talent this FO has brought on board (except for the skill positions).

    We’ve drafted 5 WRs last year and signed a few FA’s, but we’re still lacking WR talent.

    I put that on the FO.

  • We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

     Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 

    Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him

    Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

    Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.

    In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins 🙂

    Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

    @jcam222 said:

    We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

     Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 

    Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him

    Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

    Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.

    In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins 🙂

    Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

    Like your ambition. But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

    When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

    We COULD have added a kid like Austin Carr at consumer friendly wages.

  • Again a good receiver is probably a worthwhile commodity in the NFL. So if somebody throws there is on the scrap Heap what makes you think he will be great in Cleveland?

    Even though I'm sure it's a bulshit story I heard people talking about trading one of our number ones for Odell Beckham since he seems to be a poisonous entity back east.

    WSS

  • @jcam222 said:

    We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

     Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 

    Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him

    Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

    Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.

    In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins 🙂

    Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

    Like your ambition. But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

    When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

    We COULD have added a kid like Austin Carr at consumer friendly wages.

    @flugel said:

    When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

    Had to do with a subsequent misread of coverage that resulted in a Kizer pick... just read that yesterday somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it.

    Question it raised for me is, why we 'd allow a guy who is still waiting for the moving van to arrive to run option routes? And given his lacks of speed and agility (based on Pro Day), he needs to be able to read a D to ID holes in zones.

  • I think i would argue that I see the makings of a very good WR in Leslie and cannot for the life of me figure out why we dropped him before finally realizing the mistake and bringing him back. He's far better than Brittany.

  • I think i would argue that I see the makings of a very good WR in Leslie and cannot for the life of me figure out why we dropped him before finally realizing the mistake and bringing him back. He's far better than Brittany.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I think i would argue that I see the makings of a very good WR in Leslie and cannot for the life of me figure out why we dropped him before finally realizing the mistake and bringing him back. He's far better than Brittany.

    I love a good story like his but I believe he has been cut on like 5 teams so far? Sheet happens though, he could become very good. 

  • @jcam222 said:

    We have got to do something to field more than a collection of practice squad guys. Target trading some of our lower to mid tier draft assets to secure:

     Chargers Dontrelle Inman was being shopped in the preaseason. 

    Cowboys Brice Butler. They have some depth and can likely afford to move him

    Jordan Matthews with the Bills would make a good get as well. Even though they recently traded for him they are pretty much in burn it down mode.

    Jarvis Landry is cleared of charges in domestic case, trade for him.

    In a pipe dream world maybe flip Houston's picks back to them for Deandre Hopkins 🙂

    Hell bring me Vincent Jackson from his rocking chair he has to be bored by now. Just give me something better than a BUG!!!!!!!

    Like your ambition. But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

    When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

    We COULD have added a kid like Austin Carr at consumer friendly wages.

    @flugel said:

    But it looks like we're going to gag on ego of the chosen ones first.

    When Richard Sherman complained about losing a quality WR he faced daily in practice (such as Williams) to us - we need to play him more than once or twice a game to give chemistry to follow a reasonable shot at chemistry.  Jordan Leslie comes in and makes a circus catch in traffic and of course that seemed really close to the last time we'd see him.

    I'd like to see Leslie be our Welker, but he's not one of the 'chosen ones'.  He made one of those circus catches in the preseason but followed it with an EASY EASY drop when he was wide open in the middle of the field.  As a non-chosen one, that drop means more than the circus catch to the ego of the  Harvard Think Tank people who want to WISH their draft picks to be good.  -  If it were me, I'd tell Keizer & Leslie, "Look, I'm gonna put this kid in the slot and his job is to run to an open spot and sit.  Gun the ball in there to him."  

    I'd also like to see Williams in there regularly....but I think he's just too new to the team and too far behind in learning the nuances of the playbook to warrant a lot of playing time right now.  I hope he gets up to speed quickly so we can see more of him and evaluate him...........we need guys who can catch the friggin ball.

    ....and that Bug guy.......learn the playbook buddy.  You've got size.  Ya can't teach size.  And historic stats say that you don't drop passes regularly.  That's what we need!

  • Re: Leslie...

    The answer is analytics. Here's a Cooper Kupp comparison I did on reddit:

    Contrast him (4.63 40 time, 7.05 3-cone and 4.47 shuttle) with Cooper Kupp's times (4.62, 6.53 and 4.12). Some suggestion there of agility issues.

    Welker? Similar 40 and 3-cone to Leslie, but popped a 4.01 in his Pro Day shuttle.

  • Re: Leslie...

    The answer is analytics. Here's a Cooper Kupp comparison I did on reddit:

    Contrast him (4.63 40 time, 7.05 3-cone and 4.47 shuttle) with Cooper Kupp's times (4.62, 6.53 and 4.12). Some suggestion there of agility issues.

    Welker? Similar 40 and 3-cone to Leslie, but popped a 4.01 in his Pro Day shuttle.

    @tour2ma said:

    Re: Leslie...

    The answer is analytics. Here's a Cooper Kupp comparison I did on reddit:

    Contrast him (4.63 40 time, 7.05 3-cone and 4.47 shuttle) with Cooper Kupp's times (4.62, 6.53 and 4.12). Some suggestion there of agility issues.

    Welker? Similar 40 and 3-cone to Leslie, but popped a 4.01 in his Pro Day shuttle.

    Heart (desire to excell, etc) I rate him right up there with the best just like I did Welker when I saw him first at TTech. Some things defy analytics.

  • Not if you can't get open...

    Maybe vs. zone coverage Leslie can work, but against press man? Nah.. need some ability. And we saw some in Leslie a week ago, but you're not going to win every 50/50 ball... henec the name: 50/50.