Skip to content

Cribbs gives trade request

The Browns Board
35 16 2.4k
  • I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.

    And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

    Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

    I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

  • And he actually took a step back last year in kick returning did he not?

  • And he actually took a step back last year in kick returning did he not?

    @dtbh said:

    And he actually took a step back last year in kick returning did he not?

    Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

  • @dtbh said:

    And he actually took a step back last year in kick returning did he not?

    Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

    AdaM said:

    Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

    I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

  • AdaM said:

    Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

    I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

    Masters said:

    I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

    Griffin?

    who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

    But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.

    And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

    Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

    I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

    Masters said:

    And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

    Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

    I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

    Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

  • Masters said:

    I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

    Griffin?

    who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

    But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

    AdaM said:

    Griffin?

    who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

    But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

    I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.

    The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.

    Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.

  • I think it was Friedman who was out last year and was the lead blocker previously.

  • Masters said:

    And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

    Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

    I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

    Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

    I think what Cribbs was saying is that doctors/lawyers have 40+ years to make money. Where he only has 5-10.

  • Masters said:

    And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

    Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

    I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

    Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

    He was supposedly (remember, you and I weren't there) given the word of his former boss. It was Savage, who isn't with the Browns anymore. Of course he has a right to take CLE to task, but not in the press in an effort to manipulate the situation to his favor. He does have a connection to the fans, which is why he is trying to use us as a manipulation tool in the situation. He didn't come to the fans just because he wanted us to know what's up. He (and his agent more specifically) what the CLE press and fans clamouring for the Browns to give in to Cribbs demands.

    Oh, and as an honorable man, shouldn't he be honoring the contract he just signed 2 years ago?

    Regarding the doctors, it was because he was basically complaining that a football players career (and importanly the high income) are short. Yeah, and football is a game for entertainment, while doctors (sure there are bad ones) are actually providing a needed service. Don't compare getting paid a very large amount of money to play a game for peoples entertainment (including most players) to people who save lives, cure disease, etc. You aren't gonna garner sympathy from most.

  • AdaM said:

    Griffin?

    who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

    But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

    I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.

    The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.

    Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.

    The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.

    Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.

    Thank you. Couldn't get Friedman to come to mind.

    Well said!

  • Anyone else notice that the ESPN articles no longer say he requested a trade?

  • Cribbs has the same amount of time to earn a living that everyone else does, about 40 years. His last 30 years probably won't pay so well. If he thinks that $600,000 is chump change wait until he gets a paycheck from Walmart.

  • Cribbs has the same amount of time to earn a living that everyone else does, about 40 years. His last 30 years probably won't pay so well. If he thinks that $600,000 is chump change wait until he gets a paycheck from Walmart.

    @dawgtracker said:

    Cribbs has the same amount of time to earn a living that everyone else does, about 40 years. His last 30 years probably won't pay so well. If he thinks that $600,000 is chump change wait until he gets a paycheck from Walmart.

    Didn't he "go to college"? Did he major in anything (for his future)? Still time to become a doctor 🙂

  • See espn.com front page.

    From Cribbs' statement:

    "I humbly and respectfully come to Browns fans and the Browns letting all know that I have given my all to this team, on and off the field for 4 complete years selflessly without regard to myself and my own family." Cribbs' statement read.

    "Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."

    "This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."

    @bronx-cheer said:

    "Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."

    "This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."

    Millionaires say funny things sometimes. Especially ones that get to play sports for a living.

  • This board turns and bites very quickly. I am sure that if I could be bothered to trawl through previous threads from the last 18 months the temperature towards #16 was extremely warm indeed, smoking in fact. He is , imho, one of the best players we have and offers more to the team as a whole than just yards on returns.

    I think he got himself in this situation for being a nice guy. He makes a play for a better deal given his excellent performance and a pro bowl appearance. the boss's boss says "you know what kid, I'll sort you out. Now go out there and keep doing what you're doing, I'l look after you" Then sweet Fanny Adam. I can remember this happening to me in my early career. being told you'll be looked after and then being shafted. It's a lesson everyone needs to learn and I understand that, IF TRUE, why he feels he has been done over. I don't blame JC if the conversation happened as he said it did.

    I don't think he's gonna get anything though and I would be sad to see some other team get his skills and attitude.

    H.

  • Zombo said:

    I'm with Cribbs on everything, except he should show up and do the camps while he irons this out. And it will get ironed out. And he will be returning kicks for us this year.

    Not a big story IMO ... but it's the off-season so what else do we have to talk about ... beats another QB thread I guess.

    Zombo

    You hit the nail on the head....................................It isn't as big of a deal as many are making it.

    No different then Dawson or Jackson or 100 guys from other teams that want new contracts. He is under contract and will be playing for the Browns or not playing, but I would expect it will get done unless he backs the team in a corner and is too unreasonable.

    He signed a contract as a UDFA, he out played that contract and signed another contract and got guaranteed money of $2 million up front and that was only two years ago. So, he has reaped about $3.6 million out of that second contract in two years. He has out performed what's left on that contract, but he has already been paid some good money up front for a special teams player. I'd say they will take care of him, maybe after this season, which will be after 3 years of the 6 year contract he signed. What he should be concerned about is that he doesn't cut off his nose to spite his face. As a WR or DB + STer he could be looking at a nicer contract. If he holds out and doesn't get any reps at WR or DB then he is a special teamer only and that doesn't merit the same kind of money IMO.

  • @bronx-cheer said:

    "Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."

    "This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."

    Millionaires say funny things sometimes. Especially ones that get to play sports for a living.

    @reginabrownsfan said:

    Millionaires say funny things sometimes. Especially ones that get to play sports for a living.

    \

    And EVERYONE deserves to make the kind of money doctors and lawyers make.

    Gee, Josh, most people don't make in their entire lives what you have made in TWO years, yet they are somehow able to survive. There is life (and jobs) after football.

    Cry me a xxxxing river.

  • Pay the man. He deserves it with his unselfish attitude. I am willing to bet a promise was made but the old FO, and that Kokinis is just waiting for the right time to sign a deal.

  • Josh Cribbs just needs to go Elliot Spitzer style and change sides....time to join the defense JC! Cribbs would be a great safety....dude would be knocking fools out like he's Roy Jones Jr in the 90s. Cribbs has unfortuneately been a bystandard of the systems that he's been in throughout his career. Remember back in pee-wee when the most athletic was the QB, well that's what happend to him at Kent State and that stigma that he was merely intended for offense stuck on his ass. He's practically been begging to be placed there, think about it-he can make plays when he has the ball, but drops passes that the best receivers catch. On special teams he's jacking mofo's like Bobby on Whitney. In Mangini's inteview today, he even stated that Cribbs is claiming that he wants Mangini to quiz him b/c he's already learned several defenses down pat...he has football intelligence, and Mangini has to love the thought of having another smart guy out there...that's exactly why he didn't bite on Mauluga when he was still there in the 2nd, I mean the guy only got a 2 on the Wonderlic(get 3 points for spelling your name correctly on the sheet-that's where he messed up). Clearly Cribbs in an athlete....let's give him the chance to show that he can also be the quarterback on the defensive side of the ball. With all that said, he could ultimately still be utilized on the kicking teams too...there are certainly other defensive backs out there that return kicks as well.

    What makes me think this may actually be possible is the fact that Mangini seems particularly high on doing his own evalutaion of players, running them through his own process to determine where each guys skill set is going to fit into his system and what he and the coaches are trying to accomplish as a unit. The man seems more organized than my ugly ass secretary(always a must, just so I'm able to work at work). Mangini is actually Johnny Facts 'n' Stats, keeper of the pocket protector...Manigini has actually turned football into a science somewhat with his approach and honestly I love it....the team will have balance and will be as good or better mentally prepared come the beginning of the season than any other team. He is bringing about a key component to any winning team and that is "accountability". Accountability is the most important thing that can be established at any point in a teams season or in running a business and that's the mentality that he is putting in these players minds. Having to know things like he stated in his intervies like for example, knowing the routes and duties on every play, every player, like you've got the memory skills of Rainman. The only problem with Mangini being a nerd-like coach is that means we will need a motivator on the field and in the locker room in a player. Gonna have to find our Ray Lewis like(minus the whole murder thing) motivator/coach/player to lead this team emotionally, or will uber son Rex Ryan fill that void?!

    I like what I'm hearing from Mangini and I think that they are gonna place Cribbs where he can benefit the TEAM the most and that is on the field...not fighting over money. Pay the man, let him get back to being the guy that is a role model on and off the field...this guy has put his effort into it like he's Evander Holeyfield, taking blows, and even brain damage, and still gets back up in pursuit of the ultimate goal...win, of course The Real Deal needed to feed his 43 kids too!!!!