Cribbs gives trade request
-
See espn.com front page.
From Cribbs' statement:
"I humbly and respectfully come to Browns fans and the Browns letting all know that I have given my all to this team, on and off the field for 4 complete years selflessly without regard to myself and my own family." Cribbs' statement read.
"Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."
"This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."
-
-
Weak. Interesting to see if the team gives him what he wants. It wouldnt be expensive to squat on that contract, in which case he wouldn't really be taking care of his family - a holdout would just result in fines.
-
@shepwrite said:
Did I miss something? The statement doesn't say he's asked to be traded and he was at the team meeting this morning.Yeah it's hard to tell if this is a repackage of earlier information from this morning that ESPN has interpreted in their own way so it could go on the front page or what.
-
I didn't see the request in the statement either. I guess Clayton is reporting the trade request, and Cribbs released the statement to get the public on his side.
In any event, I think Cribbs will get a new contract before camp comes around.
-
Id be inclined to let him sit out the voluntary stuff and re-do his contract at the end of the season, i think if he gets what he wants immediatley then it sets a bad example. I thought he would get a new contract this season however, but now its blown up a bit im not sure.
-
@shepwrite said:
Did I miss something? The statement doesn't say he's asked to be traded and he was at the team meeting this morning.Yeah it's hard to tell if this is a repackage of earlier information from this morning that ESPN has interpreted in their own way so it could go on the front page or what.
Yeah it's hard to tell if this is a repackage of earlier information from this morning that ESPN has interpreted in their own way so it could go on the front page or what.
Another possibility is that the stories differ because each journo's only talking to one side. Mary Kay could be getting a rosy account from Mangini & co., whereas Clayton's hearing from Cribbs' agent that the situation isn't getting better.
The same thing happened in the McDaniels/Cutler situation. Hopefully, we're not heading in that direction.
-
Josh has no leverage. He is under contract. When the fines start to kick in and his family will suffer. Poor, poor Josh. Go 4-12 and then look for pity from the fans. Going public with this is, there must be an agent making the decisions for him. who's next Pointabrandt
-
The Clayton article has been updated (click the link again). It now explicitly reports that Cribbs formally requested a trade from management, and then states he thereafter released a public statement. Before the update, the only thing that stated a trade request had been made was the title of the article.
I think they just rushed a poorly-edited article to publication first in order to get the "scoop" out.
-
The guys at the OBR are reporting that Cribbs has not demanded a trade, only told Mangini that he will demand if a trade if his contract issue isn't resolved quickly.
-
Either way, I could live WITH him, WITHOUT him or with him RIDING THE PINE!
Just put a winning team together. Yes, I know that he's a good/great special teams player (that's IT though).
Last year, when Parcells arrived in Miami (local to me), there was a big "to do" with Jason Taylor and Parcells (he said, she said). Eventually he was traded, everyone thought the world would come to an end, then the Dolphins made the playoffs.
Jason Taylor was the Defensive Player of the Year, a year or so prior to Parcells arriving. Jason was probably "almost" as valuable as a great special teams player.
Not saying we should dump Cribbs but life goes on.
Go Browns!
-
I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.
-
I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.
I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.
And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.
Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.
I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.
-
-
AdaM said:
Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.
Masters said:
I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.Griffin?
who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.
But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.
-
I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.
And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.
Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.
I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.
Masters said:
And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.
I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.
Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.
-
Masters said:
I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.Griffin?
who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.
But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.
AdaM said:
Griffin?who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.
But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.
I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.
The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.
Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login