Skip to content

Safety at Sports Venues

The Browns Board
69 20 3.0k
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #2

    The security at Wembley stadium last week for the Ravens Jaguars game was most I’ve seen over here at a sporting event 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #3

    I occasionally attend A&M football and basketball where security is excellent with restrictions on what you can take in and search of all purses, handbags, etc. along with metal detectors you walk through. There are no "high ground" vantage points to either the FB stadium or the indoor BB court.

    I don't go to concerts because of hearing problems. Too much fan noise.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck.

     No such thing as risk free.

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Whatever security they would have had in the Las Vegas concert it would not have stopped the Las Vegas murderer/shooter who was perched in a hotel room and not actually at the event. I don't know how they stop something like that?

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I don't see it changing much.  We aready get wanded, clear bags, etc.

  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #7

    No matter what they have you doing or going thru, 9 times out of 10 it is still a person either making or close to minimum wage, therefor they don't give a Shmuck. Oh there will be police there but mostly just there watching the people working the gates. It is a joke.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #8

    This is why I rarely go to games. 

  • I don't see it changing much.  We aready get wanded, clear bags, etc.

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't see it changing much.  We aready get wanded, clear bags, etc.

    That doesn't have anything to do with this. I bring a gun and ammo with me when I fly. I always carry a gun, even when I am in Vegas. What does airport security have to do with this??????

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Well you certainly have rolls enough to conceal a gun. 

  • Well you certainly have rolls enough to conceal a gun. 

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @wargograw said:

    Well you certainly have rolls enough to conceal a gun. 

    And you have a **MASK** to hide one in. TN doesn't require the gun to be concealed. I wear it on my hip. I also have a permit to carry it openly in NV.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #12

    What a bunch of wussies. I go to events all the time with no fear whatsoever. If your number is up, it's up. Quit fearing fear!

  • With the recent attack on concert goers in Las Vegas last night.

    1. How safe do you feel attending an NFL or other U.S. major sporting event? 
    2. What changes in security measures do you foresee at future events?
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #13

    @atenears said:

    With the recent attack on concert goers in Las Vegas last night.

    1. How safe do you feel attending an NFL or other U.S. major sporting event? 
    2. What changes in security measures do you foresee at future events?

    I agree with doug. If your number is up, it's up. We've had a rash of deliberate suicide by wrong way driving on our interstates here. If you're the unlucky guy in the path- you're dead. Had it happen to me, never saw the guy coming- if I had been 10 feet to the left, I wouldn't be around.  Feel pretty safe at sporting events though Ate.  

    Now that I read the particulars on the attack- what you going to do, have Presidential Level Security at every event? Even that might not have stopped the attack, he just wouldn't have gotten the prez. Or maybe he would have- shades of Lee Harvey Oswald. The Secret Service does scope out every area now at a presidential appearance for potential shooting from nearby buildings with high powered rifles- which this guy was obviously using. Probably a .223 with a pile of extra banana clips.

    FWIW, regarding presidential level security. My favorite restaurant in Dayton- the Pine Club (I'm a regular there) got picked by Bush Sr. for dinner when he was prez. Dave Hulme (the owner) told me the Secret Service damn near dismantled the place checking it out beforehand. Old George was surrounded by SS while he was eating, and they had their eyes in the kitchen and back & front doors.  

  • The security at Wembley stadium last week for the Ravens Jaguars game was most I’ve seen over here at a sporting event 

    K kvozel wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @londonbrown said:

    The security at Wembley stadium last week for the Ravens Jaguars game was most I’ve seen over here at a sporting event 

    Explain please. What should we expect for the Browns game at Twickenham?

  • With the recent attack on concert goers in Las Vegas last night.

    1. How safe do you feel attending an NFL or other U.S. major sporting event? 
    2. What changes in security measures do you foresee at future events?
    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @atenears said:

    With the recent attack on concert goers in Las Vegas last night.

    1. How safe do you feel attending an NFL or other U.S. major sporting event? 
    2. What changes in security measures do you foresee at future events?

    Considering if i was off this weekend I would've either been in vegas at that concert or at the hockey game, I still feel safe about sporting events.

    The statistics of a shooting like that happening are very unlikely. Sporting events are very secure for the most part. People that want to kill other people for no reason are rare. The dude who killed those innocent peoples father was a bank robber and used to be on the FBI's most wanted list. I still don't want to sacrifice peoples freedom for security. I believe a great president once said that we shouldn't do that. I see vegas and all around the U.S. trying to crack down and check people everywhere and provide a more "orwellian" state just for us to be safe. But who knows how much safer that would actually make us (like the TSA for instance). If gun laws were harder, dude still probably would of went to the black market. However, vegas casinos should not of let that dude get ten guns in. That's ridiculous. I feel safe during sporting events to sum it up, and figure that something like this is VERY unlikely to happen.

    Just like someone shooting up a movie theatre, does that make you terrified to ever see a movie again? The odds are astronomically low for that to happen again.

  • B beare wrote on last edited by
    #16

    It will happen at a sporting event sooner or later sadly!!!! Far as security at games it all depends i can tell you this a few weeks ago they seemed more concerned what a shirt said on it then security!!!!!

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I guess, in theory, if some sniper wanted to get up on top of one of these buildings and start taking shots, things could get hairy.  

    prog_top.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Remember this scene from Jack Reacher....at PNC Park.

  • @wargograw said:

    Well you certainly have rolls enough to conceal a gun. 

    And you have a **MASK** to hide one in. TN doesn't require the gun to be concealed. I wear it on my hip. I also have a permit to carry it openly in NV.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @ghoolie said:

    And you have a **MASK** to hide one in. TN doesn't require the gun to be concealed. I wear it on my hip. I also have a permit to carry it openly in NV.

    Neither does Texas. Planes, however, do.

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #20

    If this results in extra security checking bags upon checking into a hotel room, this could become more inconvenient than airport security. There are already long lines at Vegas casinos for players that don't carry high status. This guy seemed like a pretty big fish, a frequent gambler that would probably skirt any added security anyhow.

    I hope this doesn't add to the already stepped up security at venues. This guy checked into his hotel room 3-days earlier and sat, stockpiled, and waited. Not much you can do about that and I hope we don't think that we can instil some new measure that inconveniences millions upon millions from here on out.

    So you carry a gun on your hip? Haha, start popping off a round here and there at the mammoth Mandalay Bay while this cat makes it rain 700 rounds at a time on ya? This guy just upped the bar ... makes your squirt gun obsolete.

  • If this results in extra security checking bags upon checking into a hotel room, this could become more inconvenient than airport security. There are already long lines at Vegas casinos for players that don't carry high status. This guy seemed like a pretty big fish, a frequent gambler that would probably skirt any added security anyhow.

    I hope this doesn't add to the already stepped up security at venues. This guy checked into his hotel room 3-days earlier and sat, stockpiled, and waited. Not much you can do about that and I hope we don't think that we can instil some new measure that inconveniences millions upon millions from here on out.

    So you carry a gun on your hip? Haha, start popping off a round here and there at the mammoth Mandalay Bay while this cat makes it rain 700 rounds at a time on ya? This guy just upped the bar ... makes your squirt gun obsolete.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #21

    @atenears said:

    If this results in extra security checking bags upon checking into a hotel room, this could become more inconvenient than airport security. There are already long lines at Vegas casinos for players that don't carry high status. This guy seemed like a pretty big fish, a frequent gambler that would probably skirt any added security anyhow.

    I hope this doesn't add to the already stepped up security at venues. This guy checked into his hotel room 3-days earlier and sat, stockpiled, and waited. Not much you can do about that and I hope we don't think that we can instil some new measure that inconveniences millions upon millions from here on out.

    So you carry a gun on your hip? Haha, start popping off a round here and there at the mammoth Mandalay Bay while this cat makes it rain 700 rounds at a time on ya? This guy just upped the bar ... makes your squirt gun obsolete.

    Just like the shoes in the airports. Because one nut figured out how to stuff enough high explosives in one to blow a hole in the side of an airplane. 

    As my buddy in Alaska said when I brought my .357 up there for "protection".  "You're just going to make the bear mad with that peashooter."

    It's been said- those who would trade freedom for security will have neither.