Skip to content

Hogans Heroes

The Browns Board
77 33 4.1k
  • I haven't seen a Browns QB actually throw with anticipation for years.  We've seen so many hold on to the ball too long (Kizer, Kessler, McCown, RG3, Manziel, Weeden and whoever else in between).  They all held on to the ball too long and took too many sacks.  Hogan's throws have been pretty accurate too. Maybe teams will adjust to him and he won't play as well if they prepare for him but hell, give him a shot.

  • Im not adverse to giving hogan a shotbut can we please not act as if he's some hidden gem?

  • Im not adverse to giving hogan a shotbut can we please not act as if he's some hidden gem?

    @clevfan4life said:

    Im not adverse to giving hogan a shotbut can we please not act as if he's some hidden gem?

    This. 

    If Hue starts Hogan it's because he is worried about his job.

  • In terms of processing, Kizer is just taking way to long. Almost like he wants the guy to be open to make a pass, so indecisive 

    Hogan, just the opposite, throws the ball before the break, puts the ball where he expects the receiver to be. 

    Hue, worried about a chip shot on that field goal? Christ, he makes it and just maybe it boosts his confidence  smh

  • In terms of processing, Kizer is just taking way to long. Almost like he wants the guy to be open to make a pass, so indecisive 

    Hogan, just the opposite, throws the ball before the break, puts the ball where he expects the receiver to be. 

    Hue, worried about a chip shot on that field goal? Christ, he makes it and just maybe it boosts his confidence  smh

    @blitzz2 said:

    Hue, worried about a chip shot on that field goal? Christ, he makes it and just maybe it boosts his confidence  smh

    I was yelling the whole time he called the TO to kick the f'n FG to tie the game and show your kicker you think he is up to it. And the whole time they go out with the starting O I'm yelling even more, "You dumb SOB have you not seen how bad they have played so far down there? Kick the f'n FG you TO wasting idiot!"

  • @blitzz2 said:

    Hue, worried about a chip shot on that field goal? Christ, he makes it and just maybe it boosts his confidence  smh

    I was yelling the whole time he called the TO to kick the f'n FG to tie the game and show your kicker you think he is up to it. And the whole time they go out with the starting O I'm yelling even more, "You dumb SOB have you not seen how bad they have played so far down there? Kick the f'n FG you TO wasting idiot!"

    @texasag1969 said:

    I was yelling the whole time he called the TO to kick the f'n FG to tie the game and show your kicker you think he is up to it. And the whole time they go out with the starting O I'm yelling even more, "You dumb SOB have you not seen how bad they have played so far down there? Kick the f'n FG you TO wasting idiot!"

    I Am A Dullard.jpg

  • Can someone please explain to me this ceiling that only Kizer has? Why are lots so certain he is our future? I just don't see it. Why can't Hogan be the future?

    Both times we hit the red zone early with Kizer I just expected something to go wrong. As soon as I saw Hogan get in the game I expected to march down the field and score. I was right. Am I the only one that gets these feelings? 😉

    @thomam3 said:

    Can someone please explain to me this ceiling that only Kizer has? Why are lots so certain he is our future? I just don't see it. Why can't Hogan be the future?

    Both times we hit the red zone early with Kizer I just expected something to go wrong. As soon as I saw Hogan get in the game I expected to march down the field and score. I was right. Am I the only one that gets these feelings? 😉

    I got this feeling. Once upon a time there was this rocket arm qb playing for the Redskins by the name of RG III. Needed more time to "develop" because he was a high pick. IIRC, he got his coach fired becase of it. The 'Skins happened to have this QB on the bench by the name of Kirk Cousins (4th round pick BTW). The rest they say is history. Kirkie is going to be the most in demand FA next year.

    Um, Hogan was a 5th round pick & has outperformed the anal-litics chosen one at every opportunity. Que up the Twilight Zone music.

  • I haven't seen a Browns QB actually throw with anticipation for years.  We've seen so many hold on to the ball too long (Kizer, Kessler, McCown, RG3, Manziel, Weeden and whoever else in between).  They all held on to the ball too long and took too many sacks.  Hogan's throws have been pretty accurate too. Maybe teams will adjust to him and he won't play as well if they prepare for him but hell, give him a shot.

    @burtond16vtec said:

    I haven't seen a Browns QB actually throw with anticipation for years.

    Hoyer comes into mind

  • @thomam3 said:

    Can someone please explain to me this ceiling that only Kizer has? Why are lots so certain he is our future? I just don't see it. Why can't Hogan be the future?

    Both times we hit the red zone early with Kizer I just expected something to go wrong. As soon as I saw Hogan get in the game I expected to march down the field and score. I was right. Am I the only one that gets these feelings? 😉

    I got this feeling. Once upon a time there was this rocket arm qb playing for the Redskins by the name of RG III. Needed more time to "develop" because he was a high pick. IIRC, he got his coach fired becase of it. The 'Skins happened to have this QB on the bench by the name of Kirk Cousins (4th round pick BTW). The rest they say is history. Kirkie is going to be the most in demand FA next year.

    Um, Hogan was a 5th round pick & has outperformed the anal-litics chosen one at every opportunity. Que up the Twilight Zone music.

    @hoorta said:

    I got this feeling. Once upon a time there was this rocket arm qb playing for the Redskins by the name of RG III. Needed more time to "develop" because he was a high pick. IIRC, he got his coach fired becase of it. The 'Skins happened to have this QB on the bench by the name of Kirk Cousins (4th round pick BTW). The rest they say is history. Kirkie is going to be the most in demand FA next year.

    Um, Hogan was a 5th round pick & has outperformed the anal-litics chosen one at every opportunity. Que up the Twilight Zone music.

    he has not outperformed Kessler yet?

  • @thomam3 said:

    Can someone please explain to me this ceiling that only Kizer has? Why are lots so certain he is our future? I just don't see it. Why can't Hogan be the future?

    Both times we hit the red zone early with Kizer I just expected something to go wrong. As soon as I saw Hogan get in the game I expected to march down the field and score. I was right. Am I the only one that gets these feelings? 😉

    I got this feeling. Once upon a time there was this rocket arm qb playing for the Redskins by the name of RG III. Needed more time to "develop" because he was a high pick. IIRC, he got his coach fired becase of it. The 'Skins happened to have this QB on the bench by the name of Kirk Cousins (4th round pick BTW). The rest they say is history. Kirkie is going to be the most in demand FA next year.

    Um, Hogan was a 5th round pick & has outperformed the anal-litics chosen one at every opportunity. Que up the Twilight Zone music.

    @hoorta said:

    I got this feeling. Once upon a time there was this rocket arm qb playing for the Redskins by the name of RG III. Needed more time to "develop" because he was a high pick. IIRC, he got his coach fired becase of it. The 'Skins happened to have this QB on the bench by the name of Kirk Cousins (4th round pick BTW). The rest they say is history. Kirkie is going to be the most in demand FA next year.

    Um, Hogan was a 5th round pick & has outperformed the anal-litics chosen one at every opportunity. Que up the Twilight Zone music.

    I always felt our QB.. Whomever that turns out to be. Would come from obscurity....

  • Honestly, Im not sure why so many people are certain that Hogan isnt the answer.....

    I hear he's not mobile....yet seems to run better than most other QB's.....heck, he ran for 100 yards in a game last season...remember?

    He's got decent size at 6'-3" 220#.......

    He clearly has moved the team better than Kizer and Kessler.....

    And he's only played in about 4 games his entire career.....

    How can you write off a guy who's performed every time he's played, yet hasnt even been given a single start in his career?

    Yesterday, Hue called him a back up and made the excuse that Kizer is just a rookie....well. Id tell you that Hogan is just as "rookie" as kIzer is......and has had less reps and game opportunities than Kizer....yet, has FAR AND AWAY outplayed him.....

    What is it about Hogan that says he cant be a better QB than Kizer??.....the arm?.....cause we all know strong arms do not a QB make....

    @mudfly said:

    Honestly, Im not sure why so many people are certain that Hogan isnt the answer.....

    I hear he's not mobile....yet seems to run better than most other QB's.....heck, he ran for 100 yards in a game last season...remember?

    He's got decent size at 6'-3" 220#.......

    He clearly has moved the team better than Kizer and Kessler.....

    And he's only played in about 4 games his entire career.....

    How can you write off a guy who's performed every time he's played, yet hasnt even been given a single start in his career?

    Yesterday, Hue called him a back up and made the excuse that Kizer is just a rookie....well. Id tell you that Hogan is just as "rookie" as kIzer is......and has had less reps and game opportunities than Kizer....yet, has FAR AND AWAY outplayed him.....

    What is it about Hogan that says he cant be a better QB than Kizer??.....the arm?.....cause we all know strong arms do not a QB make....

    I'm with you on this one. I'm not gonna revise history and say I was fully on POG's train like many probably will, but I did agree with him that Hogan wasn't given much of a shot to earn the job and he is intriguing.

    And now everyone says we know Kizer's ceiling is higher. Based on what? I have no idea. I do think Kizer can be good, but so can Hogan, and right now Hogan's better, so he should play. 

  • Yup, Kizer is in a tailspin. With 11 games left, give the next 6 or so to Hogan unless he falls apart the way Hoyer did after getting everyone’s hopes up. After six weeks if Kevin looks like the guy, keep rolling him, if not see if Deshone has come around.  best case scenario the Browns would shock the world to win 3 games, so we’re in for another long season regardless of who hue decides to play. 

  • Kizer needs to sit and Hogan needs to start as the true #1 QB.  The concern over Kizer's psyche is irrelevant.  It's obvious that Hogan gives the Browns a much better chance to score points.  At this point I'm worried a lot more about the psyche of the team if Kizer continues to play.  Players play to win - and the current history of losing needs to be stopped.  Otherwise many of the most talented Browns players will walk when they hit free agency and sign with teams that they perceive will actually be competitive - leaving the Browns to plug the holes with rookie draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions.  Rinse, repeat.

  • Kizer needs to sit and Hogan needs to start as the true #1 QB.  The concern over Kizer's psyche is irrelevant.  It's obvious that Hogan gives the Browns a much better chance to score points.  At this point I'm worried a lot more about the psyche of the team if Kizer continues to play.  Players play to win - and the current history of losing needs to be stopped.  Otherwise many of the most talented Browns players will walk when they hit free agency and sign with teams that they perceive will actually be competitive - leaving the Browns to plug the holes with rookie draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions.  Rinse, repeat.

    @suomi said:

    Kizer needs to sit and Hogan needs to start as the true #1 QB.  The concern over Kizer's psyche is irrelevant.  It's obvious that Hogan gives the Browns a much better chance to score points.  At this point I'm worried a lot more about the psyche of the team if Kizer continues to play.  Players play to win - and the current history of losing needs to be stopped.  Otherwise many of the most talented Browns players will walk when they hit free agency and sign with teams that they perceive will actually be competitive - leaving the Browns to plug the holes with rookie draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions.  Rinse, repeat.

    This needs repeating. ^^^^ Hue said as much during preseason- did he change his mind? He shot his rep as a QB whisperer with RG III and Kessler. 

    All the other rookie QBs sat for a spell. It's SO obvious Kizer needs to do the same. You think vets like Kirksey don't realize Kizer is stinking up the place? 

  • DeShone Kizer or Kevin Hogan? Hue Jackson will decide by Wednesday

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/deshone_kizer_kevin_hogan_hue.html

    Shared from my Google feed

  • This quote from the article is a bit contradictory, "Like I said, my decision is what's best for the team. What's best for our team to put us in position to win? Also, what's best for DeShone? It's not just for the team, but what's best for him just so that he can feel like, 'OK, I am moving further along in this process and I'm understanding what I need to do to be better.' All of that will go into my decision"

  • Straight and to the point I think PoeticG has this one right. Hogan is light years ahead of Kizer. I've resisted it,  argued against it and made excuses. The fact is though the second he takes the field it's like an entirely different offense. He gets the ball out fast, throws a beautiful accurate catchable ball AND is a dual threat. There is no reason at all to start Kizer next week. PoG has fallen in love with some losers more than once but I have think he has this right. 

    @jcam222 said:

    Straight and to the point I think PoeticG has this one right. Hogan is light years ahead of Kizer. I've resisted it,  argued against it and made excuses. The fact is though the second he takes the field it's like an entirely different offense. He gets the ball out fast, throws a beautiful accurate catchable ball AND is a dual threat. There is no reason at all to start Kizer next week. PoG has fallen in love with some losers more than once but I have think he has this right. 

    He nailed Derek Carr too.

    Hogan has the "it" quality. He also has limitations, inexperience and propensity for untimely mistakes.

    But that's a lot better than the guy who's starting now. If we truly want to win games right now, then Hogan is the guy.

    Z

  • Hogan appears to actually be everything Hue asserted Kessler would be : A game manager who can win now while our "future" waits.

  • Hogan will now be game planned. Hold your horses.

  • and he was just a rookie last year....technically, Kizer has more game experience than Hogan now....or very close to it...and we can see how good Kessler and Hogan looked as rookies, compared to Kizer as a rookie....they were both MUCH better....much much better...

    much.....(lots).....notably better....notable.....offense moving...points.....etc

    @mudfly said:

    and he was just a rookie last year....technically, Kizer has more game experience than Hogan now....or very close to it...and we can see how good Kessler and Hogan looked as rookies, compared to Kizer as a rookie....they were both MUCH better....much much better...

    much.....(lots).....notably better....notable.....offense moving...points.....etc

    Except neither tried to play the way Hue wanted them to play. Why do you think that is? Might it have something to do with who has been starting?

    @beare said:

    We need throw a boat load of money at free agent qbs next year!!!!!

    To lure which QB out of retirement? Difler? Delhomme? Garcia?

    Been there... done that...

    @hoorta said:

    I'm beginning to have serious doubts about Kizer being our QBOTF,  he sure as hell isn't the QB of the present. My anti Notre Dame bias aside, I'm seeing the same crap out of Deshone I saw in college. 

    Sorry Woody- you going to sacrifice any shred of hope winning a game just to develop one player? I don't care what Sashi says- Hue's playing for his job at this point. 1-20, and counting. FYI, at this rate, we can pass the '70s Tampa Bay Yuckaneers record of futility over two seasons. Historically awful. MHO is Jackson's coaching career is as sunk as the Titanic if he keeps playing Deshone. 

    You'd have to be blind to not see Hogan has clearly outplayed Kizer to this point. 

    In reverse order: No one is blind. No, he's not. Yes, I do. Watch some 2015 ND tape and get back to me. No he isn't, but he could be the QB of the future.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Kizer is a reactionary passer. Kizer waits for his WRs to break open and then throws the ball. By then its usually too late because the DBs are so fast and react to the ball in the air. Thats why he is sacked and throwing INTs like I change socks. Kizer is playing sand lot ball like back in college where you just make stuff happen on the fly. He is more comfortable off script.

    Hogan is an anticipatory passer. Hogan has the ball away before the WR completes his route. Timing plays that avoid sacks. Hogan would rather stay on script.

    May I borrow your All-22 log in info? You must have one and spend hours using it to come up with this evaluation.

    @mudfly said:

    Honestly, Im not sure why so many people are certain that Hogan isnt the answer.....

    What is it about Hogan that says he cant be a better QB than Kizer??.....the arm?.....cause we all know strong arms do not a QB make....

    Because we know the question?

    You are correct that a strong arm does not make up for a complete lack of QB ability, but since it is not something that can be taught there will always be a fascination with strong-armed QBs.

    Go around the league now and see the number that are starting with "average arms"... and competing for a playoff spot, let alone contending for a SB.