Skip to content

Houston Astros...food for thought perhaps

The Browns Board
73 16 1.3k
  • @mark-o said:

    The guys you're trusting to pick the players and make this process work,  haven't shown a lot of success in picking players to this point but we're supposed to just blindly trust them no matter what?

    No I am saying they cant be judged yet becuase it's been 1.5 years, there is a big difference. Mark do you really think it's practical to judge the 2017 draft picks already, after eight games? That is just crazy surely

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @londonbrown said:

    No I am saying they cant be judged yet becuase it's been 1.5 years, there is a big difference. Mark do you really think it's practical to judge the 2017 draft picks already, after eight games? That is just crazy surely

    I think 8 games can give you a pretty good indication of what you have.   We are pretty sure that Kizer ain't the guy.   Njoku is fine...hardly first round talent to this point (kizer is partially to blame here as well), Peppers either isn't that good or is being used horribly by St. Greg Williams since I haven't seen him do anything other than be a return man.

    Last years picks...Coleman?  Certainly seems like a bust.    They are missing more than they are hitting and they seem to be more interested in just passing off picking until the future rather than taking talented players.  I'm not one who would say they should've taken Wentz (that's easy to do now), I thought there were serious questions about him and his level of competition in college.   I have a hard time with a team that is likely to be 2-30 over a 2 year period (or worse) and saying we shouldn't change anything.  That's a record level of suckage.  Something needs to change.  Whether its a new head coach...or just a new guy who is in charge of the draft room, but something has to be done.

  • @londonbrown said:

    No I am saying they cant be judged yet becuase it's been 1.5 years, there is a big difference. Mark do you really think it's practical to judge the 2017 draft picks already, after eight games? That is just crazy surely

    I think 8 games can give you a pretty good indication of what you have.   We are pretty sure that Kizer ain't the guy.   Njoku is fine...hardly first round talent to this point (kizer is partially to blame here as well), Peppers either isn't that good or is being used horribly by St. Greg Williams since I haven't seen him do anything other than be a return man.

    Last years picks...Coleman?  Certainly seems like a bust.    They are missing more than they are hitting and they seem to be more interested in just passing off picking until the future rather than taking talented players.  I'm not one who would say they should've taken Wentz (that's easy to do now), I thought there were serious questions about him and his level of competition in college.   I have a hard time with a team that is likely to be 2-30 over a 2 year period (or worse) and saying we shouldn't change anything.  That's a record level of suckage.  Something needs to change.  Whether its a new head coach...or just a new guy who is in charge of the draft room, but something has to be done.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @mark-o said:

    I think 8 games can give you a pretty good indication of what you have.   We are pretty sure that Kizer ain't the guy.   Njoku is fine...hardly first round talent to this point (kizer is partially to blame here as well), Peppers either isn't that good or is being used horribly by St. Greg Williams since I haven't seen him do anything other than be a return man.

    Last years picks...Coleman?  Certainly seems like a bust.    They are missing more than they are hitting and they seem to be more interested in just passing off picking until the future rather than taking talented players.  I'm not one who would say they should've taken Wentz (that's easy to do now), I thought there were serious questions about him and his level of competition in college.   I have a hard time with a team that is likely to be 2-30 over a 2 year period (or worse) and saying we shouldn't change anything.  That's a record level of suckage.  Something needs to change.  Whether its a new head coach...or just a new guy who is in charge of the draft room, but something has to be done.

    I hear you Mark. I think Hue should go as he picked RG3, Kizer and nearly AJ McCarron and it's the offense that's crippling this team. He refuses to get help calling offensice plays. That's his baby and he should pay the price more than anyone.....IMO

  • @mark-o said:

    I think 8 games can give you a pretty good indication of what you have.   We are pretty sure that Kizer ain't the guy.   Njoku is fine...hardly first round talent to this point (kizer is partially to blame here as well), Peppers either isn't that good or is being used horribly by St. Greg Williams since I haven't seen him do anything other than be a return man.

    Last years picks...Coleman?  Certainly seems like a bust.    They are missing more than they are hitting and they seem to be more interested in just passing off picking until the future rather than taking talented players.  I'm not one who would say they should've taken Wentz (that's easy to do now), I thought there were serious questions about him and his level of competition in college.   I have a hard time with a team that is likely to be 2-30 over a 2 year period (or worse) and saying we shouldn't change anything.  That's a record level of suckage.  Something needs to change.  Whether its a new head coach...or just a new guy who is in charge of the draft room, but something has to be done.

    I hear you Mark. I think Hue should go as he picked RG3, Kizer and nearly AJ McCarron and it's the offense that's crippling this team. He refuses to get help calling offensice plays. That's his baby and he should pay the price more than anyone.....IMO

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @londonbrown said:

    I hear you Mark. I think Hue should go as he picked RG3, Kizer and nearly AJ McCarron and it's the offense that's crippling this team. He refuses to get help calling offensice plays. That's his baby and he should pay the price more than anyone.....IMO

    I think RGIII was an ok choice...he was a low cost, high upside potential and we moved on quickly from him.    McCown was a mistake to let go especially with a rookie like Kizer.   If the FO decides that Hue is the problem and moves on from him,  I won't lose any sleep over it.  

  • @londonbrown said:

    I hear you Mark. I think Hue should go as he picked RG3, Kizer and nearly AJ McCarron and it's the offense that's crippling this team. He refuses to get help calling offensice plays. That's his baby and he should pay the price more than anyone.....IMO

    I think RGIII was an ok choice...he was a low cost, high upside potential and we moved on quickly from him.    McCown was a mistake to let go especially with a rookie like Kizer.   If the FO decides that Hue is the problem and moves on from him,  I won't lose any sleep over it.  

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @mark-o said:

    I think RGIII was an ok choice...he was a low cost, high upside potential and we moved on quickly from him.    McCown was a mistake to let go especially with a rookie like Kizer.   If the FO decides that Hue is the problem and moves on from him,  I won't lose any sleep over it.  

    I don’t understand the reasoning of not having a veteran QB on the roster mentor the young’uns.

  • @mark-o said:

    I think RGIII was an ok choice...he was a low cost, high upside potential and we moved on quickly from him.    McCown was a mistake to let go especially with a rookie like Kizer.   If the FO decides that Hue is the problem and moves on from him,  I won't lose any sleep over it.  

    I don’t understand the reasoning of not having a veteran QB on the roster mentor the young’uns.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @canton-dawg said:

    I don’t understand the reasoning of not having a veteran QB on the roster mentor the young’uns.

    Isnt that Hue's job?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I don’t understand the reasoning of not having a veteran QB on the roster mentor the young’uns.

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @londonbrown said:

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

  • @londonbrown said:

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @mark-o said:

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

    With QBs I am sure it's been Hue, all the evidence points that way 

  • @mark-o said:

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

    With QBs I am sure it's been Hue, all the evidence points that way 

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @londonbrown said:

    With QBs I am sure it's been Hue, all the evidence points that way 

    Sure but then it seems like Hue wanted Watson and that didn't happen.   Until someone is fired either out of the front office or someone like Hue, we will never know for sure who anyone really wanted or picked.  

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #54

    Hue wanted Pat Mahomes, all the local media were saying that up to and after the draft

  • Hue wanted Pat Mahomes, all the local media were saying that up to and after the draft

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @londonbrown said:

    Hue wanted Pat Mahomes

    Well..once he starts playing, we will know if we should've just picked him at 12 instead of trading down. 

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #56

    But even so, Hue is the HC, he signed up knowing Sashi had final say on roster. It is Hue's job to bring our QBs on, it is his job to bring all the players on, I dont have much sympathy for him. He isn't coaching what he has well and seems to be instead blaming everybody else

  • RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by Richiswhere
    #57

    You stupid mutherfu*kers and your god damn moneyball  bullshlt ...when you have 3 of the top pitchers in baseball you can call it whatever the f*ck you want.

  • But even so, Hue is the HC, he signed up knowing Sashi had final say on roster. It is Hue's job to bring our QBs on, it is his job to bring all the players on, I dont have much sympathy for him. He isn't coaching what he has well and seems to be instead blaming everybody else

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @londonbrown said:

    But even so, Hue is the HC, he signed up knowing Sashi had final say on roster. It is Hue's job to bring our QBs on, it is his job to bring all the players on, I dont have much sympathy for him. He isn't coaching what he has well and seems to be instead blaming everybody else

    I don't disagree that he isn't calling plays to make the job easier on the QB.   Look at the throws he had Hogan throwing....dude has to know he doesn't have the arm to make that throw yet it still kept getting called.  He finally last week started calling some sort passes to make things easier on Kizer.    The clock management is infuriating.....its not that hard.  Wanted to send him a game of Madden to play over the bye week so he can learn some clock management skills.     That's why I don't think he gets brought back next year.  Something has to change with a team with a record this poor.  If Jimmy is sold on the moneyball/analytics, then still something needs to be done and it's going to be Hue that pays the price.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I don’t understand the reasoning of not having a veteran QB on the roster mentor the young’uns.

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @londonbrown said:

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Hue has never played QB in the NFL.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @mark-o said:

    Depends on who is in control over the roster, Hue or the Harvard nerds?

    Sashi controls the 53 man roster.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Isnt that Hue's job?

    Hue has never played QB in the NFL.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @canton-dawg said:

    Hue has never played QB in the NFL.

    Well there's absolutely no chance Hue doesn't say who and who isnt in that QB room so it's on him whatever way you look at it 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Hue has never played QB in the NFL.

    Well there's absolutely no chance Hue doesn't say who and who isnt in that QB room so it's on him whatever way you look at it 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @londonbrown said:

    Well there's absolutely no chance Hue doesn't say who and who isnt in that QB room so it's on him whatever way you look at it 

    So 1.5 seasons isn't enough time to accurately critique the front office, yet it appears to be plenty enough time to evaluate Hue?

  • @londonbrown said:

    Well there's absolutely no chance Hue doesn't say who and who isnt in that QB room so it's on him whatever way you look at it 

    So 1.5 seasons isn't enough time to accurately critique the front office, yet it appears to be plenty enough time to evaluate Hue?

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #63

    @dutch-oven said:

    So 1.5 seasons isn't enough time to accurately critique the front office, yet it appears to be plenty enough time to evaluate Hue?

    Absolutely right. The FO tore down and is building a roster, eight games is enough to evaluate that Greg Williams is doing ok. 1.5 years later the offense, which is Hue's, he doesn't even have an OC, BLOWS. And he chose the QBs, so its on him

  • @tacosman said:

    NO NO NO NO....you  DONT get it.

    The very nature of building a team in baseball and the nfl is different in just about every way.  it's apples and oranges.  Applying the 'moneyball' principles in baseball and the nfl look

    totally different.

    Unless you can explain the exact reasons its different, you're just talking out of your butt.

    T Tacosman wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Unless you can explain the exact reasons its different, you're just talking out of your butt.

    Ive explained this multiple times in this forum...use the search function.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Unless you can explain the exact reasons its different, you're just talking out of your butt.

    Ive explained this multiple times in this forum...use the search function.

    T Tacosman wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @tacosman said:

    Ive explained this multiple times in this forum...use the search function.

    also, I dont think a lot of you guys know the difference between moneyball and rebuilding. The As and Astros were very different.  They arent even related really.  You guys here just throw words around like analytics, process, moneyball, etc and are not sure what they really mean and in what context.