• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.
-
-
With fall finally here and winter not far away here is a delicious and hearty meal suitable for a Sunday before or after a BROWNS GAMEDAY. It's worth the prep and cook time! From 2012.......
CHEESE WITH VEGGIE SOUP
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min. Prep about 20 min. Cook time about 45 min.
Serves about 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 ounces small diced onion (approximately 1 cup)
5 ounces small diced carrot (approximately 1 cup)
5 ounces small diced celery (approximately 1 cup)......if you like celery, I also like broccoli
1/2 teaspoon salt for sweating vegetables, plus more if needed at end of cooking
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken broth, heated to a simmer
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 cup heavy cream
10 ounces Fontina, shredded.....optional cheeses, cheddar, sharp cheddar or your favorite might work
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Marsala wine.....or a good red wine, sweet or dry is up to you
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce.....optional
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Directions
Melt butter in large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Sweat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Sift the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Gradually add the chicken stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add the garlic and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Remove bay leaf. Turn off the heat, add the heavy cream, and then puree with an immersion blender or in a conventional blender*. Gradually add the cheese, 1 small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Stir in the Marsala, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and white pepper. Taste and add additional salt if desired. If soup is not hot enough, return to a low heat until warmed through.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.NOTE: The above cheese and veggie soup recipe is a variation of Alton Brown's who has the show GOOD EATS, he's both good and entertaining, love his stuff....but I generally put my own touches on whatever I do. ALSO if you click on the recipe link you will get a bunch of other fall meals and desserts.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/index.html
I will also dig up a few of my own family cheese recipes....later. -
Love the bread machine. Orange cranberry pecan brioche sliced, dipped in egg and milk and slapped on a hot griddle. Yep, freedom toast. Best with real maple syrup or creamed star thistle honey.
-
Anybody going to or hosting a Sunday or Monday night tailgating party? What's cookin'?
With your health issues, have you ever looked into eating some raw bee pollen? Or raw honey? Buckwheat is best but they’re all good. The pollen has a lot of enzymes that are good for you, B vitamins too.... go figure. Like Murray used to say every Friday.... “be happy, eat your honey”
the only drawback is if you have bee allergies.. then probably best to stay away
-
Anybody going to or hosting a Sunday or Monday night tailgating party? What's cookin'?
With your health issues, have you ever looked into eating some raw bee pollen? Or raw honey? Buckwheat is best but they’re all good. The pollen has a lot of enzymes that are good for you, B vitamins too.... go figure. Like Murray used to say every Friday.... “be happy, eat your honey”
the only drawback is if you have bee allergies.. then probably best to stay away
With your health issues, have you ever looked into eating some raw bee pollen? Or raw honey? Buckwheat is best but they’re all good. The pollen has a lot of enzymes that are good for you, B vitamins too.... go figure. Like Murray used to say every Friday.... “be happy, eat your honey”
the only drawback is if you have bee allergies.. then probably best to stay away
I love honey but they don't have it on any menu here. I am on a regular diet here and eat a high protein diet of eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, meat plus all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Believe it or not because of the big time antibiotics, vancomycin in my case now, they want me to eat and put a few more pounds on...... some problem eh?
BUT it's still not exactly GAMEDAY foods, I can't order up a ribeye steak medium hot off the grill and their small cheese pizzas suck not exactly Wedgewood pizza.......but I can have some meals brought in. Food isn't bad for hospital food.
Now I just watch football, read and plan my GAMEDAY foods when I get out.....oh my PT girl Angie is due in soon, gotta run.

GO BROWNS!
-
With your health issues, have you ever looked into eating some raw bee pollen? Or raw honey? Buckwheat is best but they’re all good. The pollen has a lot of enzymes that are good for you, B vitamins too.... go figure. Like Murray used to say every Friday.... “be happy, eat your honey”
the only drawback is if you have bee allergies.. then probably best to stay away
I love honey but they don't have it on any menu here. I am on a regular diet here and eat a high protein diet of eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, meat plus all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Believe it or not because of the big time antibiotics, vancomycin in my case now, they want me to eat and put a few more pounds on...... some problem eh?
BUT it's still not exactly GAMEDAY foods, I can't order up a ribeye steak medium hot off the grill and their small cheese pizzas suck not exactly Wedgewood pizza.......but I can have some meals brought in. Food isn't bad for hospital food.
Now I just watch football, read and plan my GAMEDAY foods when I get out.....oh my PT girl Angie is due in soon, gotta run.

GO BROWNS!
-
There are just so many things PT can mean here.?
Yeah I know Angie works with Shannon on me they are really cute and good. Then I'll have a nice lunch, we eat 3 times in 9 hours all made to order only 28 beds here maximum.
PT can also mean Pain & Torture in some circles.

-
There are just so many things PT can mean here.?
Yeah I know Angie works with Shannon on me they are really cute and good. Then I'll have a nice lunch, we eat 3 times in 9 hours all made to order only 28 beds here maximum.
PT can also mean Pain & Torture in some circles.

PT can also mean Pain & Torture in some circles.

Some would call it S&M. I always think if the old Elvis song, "You're the devil ? in disguise ?."
I had PT on a huge multiple hit racquetball bruise on the back of my calf with big knots of blood in it. PT consisted of not just easy ultrasound, but use of a steel roller and deep penetrating fingers to work it out every day for about 3 weeks. I can't imagine what they are doing to you.?
-
Angie is the PT and was trained in pressure point release treated my bad shoulders and knotted up back. OMG did that hurt!!! But it worked.
Her PTA partner Taylor is off after having a baby had them last time, PTA Shannon is with her now with the other stuff. Hurts in a good way.

Oh lunch was ham & cheese on rye, hummus and rye crackers, coleslaw, V8, coffee and pie. This is a food thread after all.
-
With your health issues, have you ever looked into eating some raw bee pollen? Or raw honey? Buckwheat is best but they’re all good. The pollen has a lot of enzymes that are good for you, B vitamins too.... go figure. Like Murray used to say every Friday.... “be happy, eat your honey”
the only drawback is if you have bee allergies.. then probably best to stay away
I love honey but they don't have it on any menu here. I am on a regular diet here and eat a high protein diet of eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, meat plus all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Believe it or not because of the big time antibiotics, vancomycin in my case now, they want me to eat and put a few more pounds on...... some problem eh?
BUT it's still not exactly GAMEDAY foods, I can't order up a ribeye steak medium hot off the grill and their small cheese pizzas suck not exactly Wedgewood pizza.......but I can have some meals brought in. Food isn't bad for hospital food.
Now I just watch football, read and plan my GAMEDAY foods when I get out.....oh my PT girl Angie is due in soon, gotta run.

GO BROWNS!
I love honey but they don't have it on any menu here. I am on a regular diet here and eat s high protein diet of eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, meat plus all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Believe it or not because of the big time antibiotics, vancomycin in my case now, they want me to eat and put a few more pounds on...... some problem eh?
BUT it's still not exactly GAMEDAY foods, I can't order up a ribeye steak medium hot off the grill and their small cheese pizzas suck not exactly Wedgewood pizza.......but I can have some meals brought in. Food isn't bad for hospital food.
Now I just watch football, read and plan my GAMEDAY foods when I get out.....oh my PT girl Angie is due in soon, gotta run.

GO BROWNS!
Check out ebee honey or amishhoney. They only do mail. If you’ve only had grocery store honey, check out what’s really out there.
-
I love honey but they don't have it on any menu here. I am on a regular diet here and eat s high protein diet of eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, meat plus all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Believe it or not because of the big time antibiotics, vancomycin in my case now, they want me to eat and put a few more pounds on...... some problem eh?
BUT it's still not exactly GAMEDAY foods, I can't order up a ribeye steak medium hot off the grill and their small cheese pizzas suck not exactly Wedgewood pizza.......but I can have some meals brought in. Food isn't bad for hospital food.
Now I just watch football, read and plan my GAMEDAY foods when I get out.....oh my PT girl Angie is due in soon, gotta run.

GO BROWNS!
Check out ebee honey or amishhoney. They only do mail. If you’ve only had grocery store honey, check out what’s really out there.
Check out ebee honey or amishhoney. They only do mail. If you’ve only had grocery store honey, check out what’s really out there.
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
-
Check out ebee honey or amishhoney. They only do mail. If you’ve only had grocery store honey, check out what’s really out there.
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
-
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
I've taken the pills. I have forgotten about taking them for a while - been too healthy, no colds....
-
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
My dad was a real health food guru many years back we used to go to the health food store in the mezzanine by McKelvey's in downtown Youngstown. It was real honey, acerola berries (vitamin C), Monk's bread all that stuff.
We rarely had sugar on cereal it was honey!
-
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
My dad was a real health food guru many years back we used to go to the health food store in the mezzanine by McKelvey's in downtown Youngstown. It was real honey, acerola berries (vitamin C), Monk's bread all that stuff.
We rarely had sugar on cereal it was honey!
My dad was a real health food guru many years back we used to go to the health food store in the mezzanine by McKelvey's in downtown Youngstown. It was real honey, acerola berries (vitamin C), Monk's bread all that stuff.
We rarely had sugar on cereal it was honey!
Nothing like raw honey mixed in crunchy peanut butter eaten with a spoon!
raw honey has excellent health benefits, and the taste is superior. I get it free from a nieghbor who has a bunch of hives.
really great stuff. A hell of a lot of work, it's nice I don't have em. lol
So do you see a lot of 'em in your own garden stocking up for honey making at his place?
-
Have you ever eaten raw bee pollen? I tried it first time in February this year. Been eating about 2 tbsp daily since then. It’s pretty good for you too.
My dad was a real health food guru many years back we used to go to the health food store in the mezzanine by McKelvey's in downtown Youngstown. It was real honey, acerola berries (vitamin C), Monk's bread all that stuff.
We rarely had sugar on cereal it was honey!
My dad was a real health food guru many years back we used to go to the health food store in the mezzanine by McKelvey's in downtown Youngstown. It was real honey, acerola berries (vitamin C), Monk's bread all that stuff.
We rarely had sugar on cereal it was honey!
Now that you’re a bit older and have some health issues, read up on pollen. Digestive and circulation aid big time. I told my Dr about it and he was pretty pleased. And unless you’re allergic to it, there’s no down side
-
I usually love salty foods, but I HATE Spam!
Mike
I usually love salty foods, but I HATE Spam!
Mike
SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food. I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.
-
I usually love salty foods, but I HATE Spam!
Mike
SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food. I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.
SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food. I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.
Sliced thin and hit it on a griddle for a minute and it makes a damn good SLT sandwich.
-
SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food. I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.
Sliced thin and hit it on a griddle for a minute and it makes a damn good SLT sandwich.
Sliced thin and hit it on a griddle for a minute and it makes a damn good SLT sandwich.
I had a regular BLT for lunch today, SPAM is also a good idea.
-
I usually love salty foods, but I HATE Spam!
Mike
SPAM and similar products seem to be in the love it or hate it type food. I personally LOVE SPAM cold on a sandwich or grilled on the stove with melted cheese and a tomato on your favorite bread. Ummmm.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login