• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.
-
Portuguese Soup. hmmmmm, the wife and I were just talking about making a hearty sausage soup maybe with mild or sweet Italian sausage. This might fill the bill, would any sausage be fine here? Smoked or Italian? Sounds like it might be a good idea.
.........edit add, the fall and and winter seasons are made for soups, stews and casseroles. Warms up the kitchen plus it smelled so good. Add in some good homemade or store bought Italian, pumpernickel or other hearty bread maybe some good wine and let it snow.

-
@dutch-oven said:
I made Zuppa Tuscana tonight...
(3) large potatoes, cubed
(6-8) Italian sausages, hot or mild to preference
(1) bag of kale
- Fry up sausages, then cut up into bite size pieces. Throw in with rest of ingredients in crock pot, cook on low for roughly 6 hours (until potatoes have softened up). Chop up roughly (4) or so cups of kale, throw in and let simmer for 10 or so minutes to soften up. Serve with bread sticks.
You guys are really thinking along the same lines as we were thinking. Hearty soup or Zuppa with the sausage, potatoes and I love kale......oh yeah!
Serve with bread or bread sticks maybe some good wine, oh yeah. Plus the leftover soup is even better!
-
Portuguese Soup. hmmmmm, the wife and I were just talking about making a hearty sausage soup maybe with mild or sweet Italian sausage. This might fill the bill, would any sausage be fine here? Smoked or Italian? Sounds like it might be a good idea.
.........edit add, the fall and and winter seasons are made for soups, stews and casseroles. Warms up the kitchen plus it smelled so good. Add in some good homemade or store bought Italian, pumpernickel or other hearty bread maybe some good wine and let it snow.

Portuguese Soup. hmmmmm, the wife and I were just talking about making a hearty sausage soup maybe with mild or sweet Italian sausage. This might fill the bill, would any sausage be fine here? Smoked or Italian? Sounds like it might be a good idea.
.........edit add, the fall and and winter seasons are made for soups, stews and casseroles. Warms up the kitchen plus it smelled so good. Add in some good homemade or store bought Italian, pumpernickel or other hearty bread maybe some good wine and let it snow.

Yes, I have also made it with Italian sausage and it's great with either. And it almost snowed here this morning.
It was a near freeing 49 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrr?️?
-
@dutch-oven said:
I made Zuppa Tuscana tonight...
Best I ever had was actually in Florence, Italy. We asked several local store owners where the real citizens of Florence ate and several recommended that soup at one particular local restaurant. They were right about the soup. It was great!?
-
-
@dutch-oven said:
Everyone loves Italian sausage... ?
And an Italian ham.

-
And someone told me once all GAMEDAY food was ALL just wings, chips and pizza and you couldn't make a thread out of it.
.
(not that's anything wrong with that, I love a pizza once in a while)
-
Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.
But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado.
-
@dutch-oven said:
Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!
(Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!)
I smoke a lot of my own Q so am pretty critical of restaurant bbq. City BBQ is damn good. I love this time of year for soup too. I’ve done soup twice this week already in the Instant Pot. It’s awesome for soups and stews.
-
@dutch-oven said:
Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!
(Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!)
And what is soup weather well it's football weather! (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).
It all just seems to go along great. Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!
-
@dutch-oven said:
Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!
(Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!)
And what is soup weather well it's football weather! (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).
It all just seems to go along great. Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!
And what is soup weather well it's football weather! (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).
It all just seems to go along great. Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!
But best of all it's Venezuelan rum weather!?
-
SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini
Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.
Mike
-
SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini
Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.
Mike
SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot.
You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup.
Mike
Oh, my wife loves tortellini soup and has her own recipe for it, besides us our friends and neighbors really like it too. I'll have to show her this one. Thanks!
-
Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.
But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado.
Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.
But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado.
South Dakota?
-
Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.
But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado.
South Dakota?
South Dakota?
No San Diego.
-
Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.
But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado.
South Dakota?
South Dakota?
Ah Okay. Was stationed there many moons ago both on a ship out of 32nds St. and at Assault Craft Unit ONe at NAB Coronado.
-
SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini
Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.
Mike
SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
1 large carrot chopped
Remove sausage from casing and brownd. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.Mike
Pretty sure I can get the Italian sausage here sans the casing. All sounds good but I'm not telling wifey about the carrots. She's always trying to ruin good soups with those yucky cooked carrots. Gives a cooked carrot flavor to everything. When I was a kid my mom would make a thick beef & potato stew and always threw in carrots to ruin it. I tried my best not to get any in mine because it was a requirement to eat everything on your plate. Any I got I saved to last and downed them all at once with milk so I got minimal chewing time. ?
I'll look for that dressing.?
-
@dutch-oven said:
My mom has made this for years... We top it with shredded mozzarella cheese.
I never really tried it until just recently wasn't even on my culinary radar with all of the other countless foods out there -but- it was quite good.
And it goes to show you that unless you try different things you don't know what you are missing! That's another reason why I like to exchange ideas on these GAMEDAY foods. One of the girls here said "I never know what to cook or eat". Well I hit her with about 8 new easy recipes for a working person and it was like......wow.
Even my ID doctor copied my French Onion Chicken recipe on her cell phone. Yeah I guess that you can say that I like this stuff.

.......... maybe too much. Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today.
-
Italian Sloppy Joes
Ingredients
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer Miceli's Pizza Blend shredded cheese)
Directions- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese
Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.
Mike
-
Ah-no carrots-now ur talkin' Mike!?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login