Skip to content

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

The Browns Board
3.1k 65 181.8k 2
  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222

    @dutch-oven said:

    Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!

    (Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!) 

    I smoke a lot of my own Q so am pretty critical of restaurant bbq. City BBQ is damn good. I love this time of year for soup too. I’ve done soup twice this week already in the Instant Pot. It’s awesome for soups and stews. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @dutch-oven said:

    Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!

    (Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!) 

    And what is soup weather well it's football weather!   (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).

    It all just seems to go along great.  Fall has always been my favorite time of the year.  GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Been waiting for soup weather... it finally arrived!

    (Went to City Barbeque in Fairlawn this afternoon for lunch, pretty darn good. Recommend it. I got the 'More Cowbell' sandwich, and I got to ring the cowbell to announce my ordering of it!) 

    And what is soup weather well it's football weather!   (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).

    It all just seems to go along great.  Fall has always been my favorite time of the year.  GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    And what is soup weather well it's football weather!   (and you can add stews, casseroles and oven cooked chicken, turkey and beef).

    It all just seems to go along great.  Fall has always been my favorite time of the year.  GO BROWNS, and have a great GAMEDAY!

    But best of all it's Venezuelan rum weather!?

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike

    SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

    1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
    3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
    1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
    1 onion chopped
    1 large carrot chopped
    1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini

    Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.

    You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

    Mike
     

  • SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

    1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
    3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
    1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
    1 onion chopped
    1 large carrot chopped
    1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini

    Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.

    You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

    Mike
     

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

    Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot.

    You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup.

    Mike
     

    Oh, my wife loves tortellini soup and has her own recipe for it, besides us our friends and neighbors really like it too. I'll have to show her this one. Thanks!

  • Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.

    But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado. 

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.

    But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado. 

    South Dakota?

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.

    But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado. 

    South Dakota?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    South Dakota?

    No San Diego.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Waiting for a cold day here in SD when it hits 60 late in the year I’ll do white chicken chili in the crock pot.

    But I’ll BBQ tomorrow I’ll start at halftime 11:30ish going with Pollo Asado. 

    South Dakota?

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    South Dakota?

    Ah Okay.  Was stationed there many moons ago both on a ship out of 32nds St. and at Assault Craft Unit ONe at NAB Coronado.

  • SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

    1.5 pds. mild or hot italian sausage (I ALWAYS use 1/2 mild & 1/2 hot)
    3-4 cups beef broth (have extra broth on hand)
    1 (28oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
    1 onion chopped
    1 large carrot chopped
    1 square package frozen chopped spinach (do not thaw-add FROZEN later in the cooking)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 package frozen CHEESE tortellini

    Remove sausage from casing and brown, break it up. Drain sausage and transfer to pot. add remaining ingredients to pot, EXCEPT TORTELLINI & SPINACH!!!! slow boil or simmer for at least 45min-1hr, until vegetables are tender. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will get (if too thick, thin it with additional beef broth). Add frozen spinach 30 minutes or so into cooking & 5-10 min before serving, place tortellini in pot. This is also a good crockpot recipe.

    You'll probably want to at least double this recipe. It's our favorite soup. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

    Mike
     

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

    1 large carrot chopped

    Remove sausage from casing and brownd. BTW, if you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend Girard's Olde Venice Italian Dressing. It's very different from Wishbone, etc. It's worth trying if you haven't yet.

    Mike
     

    Pretty sure I can get the Italian sausage here sans the casing. All sounds good but I'm not telling wifey about the carrots. She's always trying to ruin good soups with those yucky cooked carrots. Gives a cooked carrot flavor to everything. When I was a kid my mom would make a thick beef & potato stew and always threw in carrots to ruin it. I tried my best not to get any in mine because it was a requirement to eat everything on your plate. Any I got I saved to last and downed them all at once with milk so I got minimal chewing time.  ?

    I'll look for that dressing.?

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @dutch-oven said:

    My mom has made this for years... We top it with shredded mozzarella cheese.

    I never really tried it until just recently wasn't even on my culinary radar with all of the other countless foods out there -but- it was quite good.

    And it goes to show you that unless you try different things you don't know what you are missing!  That's another reason why I like to exchange ideas on these GAMEDAY foods.  One of the girls here said "I never know what to cook or eat". Well I hit her with about 8 new easy recipes for a working person and it was like......wow.

    Even my ID doctor copied my French Onion Chicken recipe on her cell phone.  Yeah I guess that you can say that I like this stuff.  🙂

    .......... maybe too much.  Sorry, you cannot add any more reactions today. 😆

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike

    Italian Sloppy Joes 

    Ingredients

    • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup chopped green pepper
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
    • 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
    • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer Miceli's Pizza Blend shredded cheese)
    Directions
    • In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

    Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

    Mike

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Ah-no carrots-now ur talkin' Mike!?

  • Italian Sloppy Joes 

    Ingredients

    • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup chopped green pepper
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
    • 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
    • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer Miceli's Pizza Blend shredded cheese)
    Directions
    • In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

    Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

    Mike

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

    Mike

    I think you left out the teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I'm sure that is in there. lol

  • Italian Sloppy Joes 

    Ingredients

    • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup chopped green pepper
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
    • 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
    • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer Miceli's Pizza Blend shredded cheese)
    Directions
    • In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

    Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

    Mike

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    Directions

    In a large saucepan or Dutch Oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese

    Excellent Sloppy Joe for those who like 'em a little spicy.

    Mike

    Sounds like a good recipe and I imagine you could tweak the spicy taste a bit to suit your needs.  Some love it spicy or real hot. Nice.

    Also I think that there is a punchline in there somewhere.  😕

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- 😁

  • And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- 😁

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @hoorta said:

    And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- 😁

    I'm inviting my son in law over for his birthday early Nov. to break out a 2001 Grgich Hills Cabernet & medium raw steaks on the grill if I can convince wifey that this would be better than wasting a ton of money on Longhorn Steakhouse. I have to open that soon before it starts to decline. Bought it on a memorable trip to Napa many years ago on the advice of a Napa wine expert whom my mother knew as a friend in Walnut Creek, Ca. E of Oakland/Berkeley. The guy showed me his temp/humidity controlled wine cellar with around 3000 or so reds from around the world. I look down in one area and see a little sign that read, "Chateau Lafite Rothchild" from a very good year. I was looking at one of the holy grails. Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!??

    EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

  • @hoorta said:

    And after all is said and done- my advice is to drink heavily, it eases the pain of yet another loss.....   the traditional shot of the Orange Stuff to start before the game.  Prosciutto with rose next. A rare occasion I didn't hang out with the guys...   Red Barron pizza with Elyse Morosholi zin during the game. OH, and tiki time with Mai Tais (yes I have the real Curacao to make 'em) and gin & tonics later. Steak on the grill with broccoli as a side.  Doing some 3 Zinfandel as a nightcap.  Nite all- 😁

    I'm inviting my son in law over for his birthday early Nov. to break out a 2001 Grgich Hills Cabernet & medium raw steaks on the grill if I can convince wifey that this would be better than wasting a ton of money on Longhorn Steakhouse. I have to open that soon before it starts to decline. Bought it on a memorable trip to Napa many years ago on the advice of a Napa wine expert whom my mother knew as a friend in Walnut Creek, Ca. E of Oakland/Berkeley. The guy showed me his temp/humidity controlled wine cellar with around 3000 or so reds from around the world. I look down in one area and see a little sign that read, "Chateau Lafite Rothchild" from a very good year. I was looking at one of the holy grails. Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!??

    EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    ..... Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!??

    EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

    Wow, like something out of a movie or maybe a PBS show.......or a fancy wine commercial.  I'm no wine connoisseur at all but it sounds interesting.

    Now cigar aficionado yes I definitely did that to 40+ years.  Food, wine, art, cigars all kind of fall under that umbrella of having a passion or being a judge of something in your field or just really liking a particular subject.   Bon appetit!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    ..... Anyway he spent years of his retirement in Napa tasting nothing but Cabernets and told me this was the best one he ever found there. Personally I like slightly lower cost Honig. Just bought a few bottles of 2016 and hope to live to full maturity (I might not reach it, but the wine will). LOL!??

    EDIT: In case you are thinking of a Napa Cabernet here is a by year rating chart. It tells me it's time to drink my 2001 and it tells me 2016 was one of the best years since the late 90's. Very reliable source for ratings. https://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/search/id/15

    Wow, like something out of a movie or maybe a PBS show.......or a fancy wine commercial.  I'm no wine connoisseur at all but it sounds interesting.

    Now cigar aficionado yes I definitely did that to 40+ years.  Food, wine, art, cigars all kind of fall under that umbrella of having a passion or being a judge of something in your field or just really liking a particular subject.   Bon appetit!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Wow, like something out of a movie or maybe a PBS show.......or a fancy wine commercial.  I'm no wine connoisseur at all but it sounds interesting.

    Now cigar aficionado yes I definitely did that to 40+ years.  Food, wine, art, cigars all kind of fall under that umbrella of having a passion or being a judge of something in your field or just really liking a particular subject.   Bon appetit!

    Hoorta and I share this "distraction" of fine wines and rums. Add books to mine. Just starting "The British Are Coming", 1st of a trilogy on the Revolutionary War by Pulitzer Prize winning historian Rick Atkinson. The other two to be written/published down the road.?

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

    Something new that I added to the original subject line, delivery.  It's not just pizza anymore now with Grub Hub, Uber Eats and everybody else getting into the act even top notch restaurants have opened up their menus to delivery.

    Have any of you tried delivery services for food besides the old conventional pizza and sub sandwich joints?  How are the foods and costs?

    Just a new little twist on GAMEDAY foods.  🙂

  • Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

    Something new that I added to the original subject line, delivery.  It's not just pizza anymore now with Grub Hub, Uber Eats and everybody else getting into the act even top notch restaurants have opened up their menus to delivery.

    Have any of you tried delivery services for food besides the old conventional pizza and sub sandwich joints?  How are the foods and costs?

    Just a new little twist on GAMEDAY foods.  🙂

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Favorite GAMEDAY food?..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

    Something new that I added to the original subject line, delivery.  It's not just pizza anymore now with Grub Hub, Uber Eats and everybody else getting into the act even top notch restaurants have opened up their menus to delivery.

    Have any of you tried delivery services for food besides the old conventional pizza and sub sandwich joints?  How are the foods and costs?

    Just a new little twist on GAMEDAY foods.  🙂

    I use Grubhub and Doordash a lot when traveling for work. I’ve had Greek,Indian , sushi, bbq etc delivered. Usually awesome and the charge is usually around $5.