Skip to content

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

The Browns Board
3.1k 65 181.6k 2
  • I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

    I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

    ★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

  • @nickers said:

    I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

    I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

    ★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

    I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

    ★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

    I see it regularly at a Place called Food4Less.  It is like the East cost ALDIs.

    I just did a search online and Walmart has it. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

    I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

    ★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

    I see it regularly at a Place called Food4Less.  It is like the East cost ALDIs.

    I just did a search online and Walmart has it. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I see it regularly at a Place called Food4Less.  It is like the East cost ALDIs.

    I just did a search online and Walmart has it. 

    Ta da at our local Aldis in boardman ohio.....well Walmart.  $6.98.

    Screenshot_2022-06-19_214237.jpg

  • I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @nickers said:

    I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    Green and black olives straight were two of my gag reflex foods as a kid, the other being cold canned asparagus?. But the one year I lived in Caracas we had several year round avocado bearing trees and we used a long pole with an open ended tin can to fit over them up in the tree. If they rattled off with a gentle rattle, they were perfect for eating. We had them every day in so many different ways I lost track. Nothing like a half avocado with French Dressing in the hole where the seed resided. Just use a decent sized spoon to dig some out along with the dressing for a good side snack with dinner. Our local grocer makes a really great guacamole dip too.   YUM!!!?

    EDIT: Seafood? Baked in butter, broiled, blackened, etc.  is great with the only exception being catfish that tastes just like the bottom dweller that it is. I can eat a pound or more of shrimp any ole way you want to give it to me. Fried crawfish tails are great too.?

  • Oh yes !  I've been on an olive appetizer kick lately with black olives, green Manzanillo olives and some artichoke hearts right out of the jar......Mmm-mmm.   Oh yeah.   😁 

    You're making me hungry for it now   -but-   that's what the GAMEDAY favorite foods thread is all about everyone sharing their favorite foods and recipes on just one nice common thread on The BROWNS BOARD. 

    ★ Going strong here since 2017  and about 18 years now on another now closed board and still on my private email for friends and family   -and-  available to any of you if you're interested,  just give me your email address. 

    That's why I do this thread and private email for all of you to exchange ideas and enjoy new recipes. I thank you for over 57,000 views and over 2,400 replies and of course........bon appetit  !     ?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh yes !  I've been on an olive appetizer kick lately with black olives, green Manzanillo olives and some artichoke hearts right out of the jar......Mmm-mmm.   Oh yeah.   😁 

    You're making me hungry for it now   -but-   that's what the GAMEDAY favorite foods thread is all about everyone sharing their favorite foods and recipes on just one nice common thread on The BROWNS BOARD. 

    ★ Going strong here since 2017  and about 18 years now on another now closed board and still on my private email for friends and family   -and-  available to any of you if you're interested,  just give me your email address. 

    That's why I do this thread and private email for all of you to exchange ideas and enjoy new recipes. I thank you for over 57,000 views and over 2,400 replies and of course........bon appetit  !     ?

    No matter what kinds of olives or other appetizers and different types of seafood it's interesting to see what other people eat and how they cook it.

    Thanks again for your input and ideas.   🙂

  • @mjp28 said:

    Oh yes !  I've been on an olive appetizer kick lately with black olives, green Manzanillo olives and some artichoke hearts right out of the jar......Mmm-mmm.   Oh yeah.   😁 

    You're making me hungry for it now   -but-   that's what the GAMEDAY favorite foods thread is all about everyone sharing their favorite foods and recipes on just one nice common thread on The BROWNS BOARD. 

    ★ Going strong here since 2017  and about 18 years now on another now closed board and still on my private email for friends and family   -and-  available to any of you if you're interested,  just give me your email address. 

    That's why I do this thread and private email for all of you to exchange ideas and enjoy new recipes. I thank you for over 57,000 views and over 2,400 replies and of course........bon appetit  !     ?

    No matter what kinds of olives or other appetizers and different types of seafood it's interesting to see what other people eat and how they cook it.

    Thanks again for your input and ideas.   🙂

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    No matter what kinds of olives or other appetizers and different types of seafood it's interesting to see what other people eat and how they cook it.

    Thanks again for your input and ideas.   🙂

    I will post my wife's recipe for fresh picked blackberry crisp as soon as she makes some from the fruit off our in-laws blackberry farm. They are so good I had a bowlful of 'em with just cream & sucralose yesterday.?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Blackberry Crisp

    2 lbs. fresh farm picked blackberries

    1 TBS Water

    1 1/2 cups sugar

    1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

    1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

    3/4 tsp salt

    2 1/4 cup flour

    1 1/2 cup very softened butter

    Put the blackberries in the bottom of a butter greased 9 X 13 X 2 in deep glass pan. Combine all other ingredients with an electric mixer and spread evenly over the berries. Cover with alum. foil and bake at 350F for 30 min. Uncover and bake at same temp another 30 minutes. Cool until you can stand the heat.  Yummy!!

    PS-you can put a little fresh cream on it in a bowl if you want.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

  • ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    You can also use that on 2 lbs. sliced fresh apples or peaches. Even better when it's peaches and blackberries together. Anyway let me know how you liked it.

  • ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

  • @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @calfoxwc said:

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

    Oh yeah,  takes me back my grandpa Andrew (1880-1967) he was a farmer in the Ukraine before coming to America around 1912. His father was killed in 1897 in a wagon accident changing out a big wagon wheel.  Life got very hard for a 17 year old young Ukrainian farm boy and his soon to be young family. 

    He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees, before his legs failed him around 1964-5 he was in the fields or barn everyday.   We had 10 varieties of fruit trees on our property.  We canned all of the vegetables and more that we ate....eventually grew to be 8 of us.  But we did it, my dad was a good teacher. 

    Grandpa also developed his own varieties of seeds for our garden year after year.   He also hand made a lot of wooden tools including the best all wood rakes many without a nail or screw, amazing guy. 

    As kids we didn't think that much about it but he was a self made totally independent person.  After coming to America a few years later he saved up and bought about 5 acres out in the sticks adjacent to an apple orchard no gas, electricity, water buit a house by hand, dug a well, built a barn and raised 5 children.  Had to add another floor on the house and a kitchen and bath...by then they had electricity and city water.When I was about 6 we got natural gas so out goes the coal furnace and the slick small new gas furnace was here. 

    What an amazing life he left for his kids and grandkids.  What an amazing guy.  

    Maybe that's why I have such a natural love of good food and eating.   And bon appetit to you all.   🙂

  • @mjp28 said:

    ^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  😁

    Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

    Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

    I used to pick wild dewberries and wild Muscadine grapes, both native to Texas, which my grandmother would cook down to jams which she canned in mason jars. She made it really thick for spreading on toast. One of my regrets is not watching what she did to cook it down so I could duplicate it later in life after her passing. Lost knowledge.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

    Oh yeah,  takes me back my grandpa Andrew (1880-1967) he was a farmer in the Ukraine before coming to America around 1912. His father was killed in 1897 in a wagon accident changing out a big wagon wheel.  Life got very hard for a 17 year old young Ukrainian farm boy and his soon to be young family. 

    He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees, before his legs failed him around 1964-5 he was in the fields or barn everyday.   We had 10 varieties of fruit trees on our property.  We canned all of the vegetables and more that we ate....eventually grew to be 8 of us.  But we did it, my dad was a good teacher. 

    Grandpa also developed his own varieties of seeds for our garden year after year.   He also hand made a lot of wooden tools including the best all wood rakes many without a nail or screw, amazing guy. 

    As kids we didn't think that much about it but he was a self made totally independent person.  After coming to America a few years later he saved up and bought about 5 acres out in the sticks adjacent to an apple orchard no gas, electricity, water buit a house by hand, dug a well, built a barn and raised 5 children.  Had to add another floor on the house and a kitchen and bath...by then they had electricity and city water.When I was about 6 we got natural gas so out goes the coal furnace and the slick small new gas furnace was here. 

    What an amazing life he left for his kids and grandkids.  What an amazing guy.  

    Maybe that's why I have such a natural love of good food and eating.   And bon appetit to you all.   🙂

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees,

    Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

    we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree. What an amazing cooking apple. Which branch to use, etc. I don't know, wish I did. That is an amazing story of a man bringing his family to America, and put in all that know how and smarts to build a farm and raise a family. Wow. An amazing generation.

  • @mjp28 said:

    He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees,

    Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

    we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree. What an amazing cooking apple. Which branch to use, etc. I don't know, wish I did. That is an amazing story of a man bringing his family to America, and put in all that know how and smarts to build a farm and raise a family. Wow. An amazing generation.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

    we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree.

    My wife says that if you or mjp decide to use that Blackberry Crisp recipe with apples instead of blackberries, she uses Granny Smith apples sliced thin. My first cousin was raised on a farm near Waco, but is now retired to Virginia where he resides on a very large orchard with apples, peaches, blackberries, plums and maybe even pecans (not sure on that). Sells a lot fresh on his own roadside stand and cans a ton of it too for sale and for friends/family. Makes pickles out of his cucumbers.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

    we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree.

    My wife says that if you or mjp decide to use that Blackberry Crisp recipe with apples instead of blackberries, she uses Granny Smith apples sliced thin. My first cousin was raised on a farm near Waco, but is now retired to Virginia where he resides on a very large orchard with apples, peaches, blackberries, plums and maybe even pecans (not sure on that). Sells a lot fresh on his own roadside stand and cans a ton of it too for sale and for friends/family. Makes pickles out of his cucumbers.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    ......Sells a lot fresh on his own roadside stand and cans a ton of it too for sale and for friends/family. Makes pickles out of his cucumbers.

    My grandmother on my mother's side who was the best cook I've ever seen was the excellent canner.  She made peppers from mild to tangy mainly for my lunches down the mill those big Hungarian banana peppers.......OMG !   And she made pickles like I've never bought anywhere.  But she had a big wooden barrel in our fruit cellar where she took heads of cabbage and in time just like magic we had the best sauerkraut you could ever want so tender......I can close my eyes and just smell it.....so delicious. 

    The only difficult part someone had to roll up their sleeves, take the weight and lid off and fish out a few more heads but it was so worth it,  ummm-ummm.  (as oldest boy it was my job)

    When we built our big new house for 8 my mom's mother and father moved into our old house and culinary heaven was on.  Grandma was working in her last cook job before retiring next to us.  Oh that fruit cellar what an unforgettable smell. ‐but-   that's where the good stuff was !

    Oh you guys are making me hungry  for my younger and so enjoyable younger life.   

    Memories. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    That same grandmother always put away a calf or two in her freezer from the farm and made the most delicious and very tender roasts in her large covered iron skillet cooking low like a crock pot. So I did what she said about continuing to use the same iron skillet and wash it out afterwards with only water and no soap so that it gained "seasoning" as she called it. I used mine for a couple years and it just never seemed to get any better. I then found out my wife was going behind me cleaning it with hot soapy water because she could not believe it was not unsanitary to just use water alone. I had to explain multiple times that the skillet gets hot enough to kill off any little living critters still in it because it cooked all day on a low boil. She never would take the the word of my more experienced grandmother, so I never got my seasoned skillet that could duplicate those great tasting granny roasts.

  • That same grandmother always put away a calf or two in her freezer from the farm and made the most delicious and very tender roasts in her large covered iron skillet cooking low like a crock pot. So I did what she said about continuing to use the same iron skillet and wash it out afterwards with only water and no soap so that it gained "seasoning" as she called it. I used mine for a couple years and it just never seemed to get any better. I then found out my wife was going behind me cleaning it with hot soapy water because she could not believe it was not unsanitary to just use water alone. I had to explain multiple times that the skillet gets hot enough to kill off any little living critters still in it because it cooked all day on a low boil. She never would take the the word of my more experienced grandmother, so I never got my seasoned skillet that could duplicate those great tasting granny roasts.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    That same grandmother always put away a calf or two in her freezer from the farm and made the most delicious and very tender roasts in her large covered iron skillet cooking low like a crock pot. So I did what she said about continuing to use the same iron skillet and wash it out afterwards with only water and no soap so that it gained "seasoning" as she called it. I used mine for a couple years and it just never seemed to get any better. I then found out my wife was going behind me cleaning it with hot soapy water because she could not believe it was not unsanitary to just use water alone. I had to explain multiple times that the skillet gets hot enough to kill off any little living critters still in it because it cooked all day on a low boil. She never would take the the word of my more experienced grandmother, so I never got my seasoned skillet that could duplicate those great tasting granny roasts.

    My little Grandma Ruby almost exclusively used cast iron for cooking and did it pretty much exactly like your grandmother. 

    I'll take that as a 2-0.

    Oh my wife does it the same way,  3-0.  I'll agree but I don't carry that kind of cooking expertise clout.   3.125 - 0 ?  😆

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    That reminds me - I once made my own sauerkraut - it was far more a great taste than any I have ever bought in a store.

     I love dutch oven cooking. Pineapple upside-down cake, a great roast with veggies....buttermilk bisquits, cornbread......

       I'm working on a group of recipes that use wild edibles - especially various versions of wilted lettuce salads..... like red clover blossoms in breads, salads, etc.

  • I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    It took me a LONG to find another soul mate in the food department.. then Nickers came along.  Yup, my #1 rule is if it came out of the water, I don't eat it...  Cows wading in a pond get a pass.  😁 

    Being a saltaholic I LOVE green olives, could eat a jar of them... But leave those nasty pimentos out... Whoever thought that improved their taste should be shot.  Blue cheese stuffing acceptable. To Cal's dismay- nothing improves the taste of gin like olives.  Give me a filthy Martini with 3:2 gin and olive juice.  Black olives are OK.   

    Ditto the no guac for me too...  But I don't have a problem with cilantro.    

  • @nickers said:

    I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! ???? Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

    It took me a LONG to find another soul mate in the food department.. then Nickers came along.  Yup, my #1 rule is if it came out of the water, I don't eat it...  Cows wading in a pond get a pass.  😁 

    Being a saltaholic I LOVE green olives, could eat a jar of them... But leave those nasty pimentos out... Whoever thought that improved their taste should be shot.  Blue cheese stuffing acceptable. To Cal's dismay- nothing improves the taste of gin like olives.  Give me a filthy Martini with 3:2 gin and olive juice.  Black olives are OK.   

    Ditto the no guac for me too...  But I don't have a problem with cilantro.    

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @hoorta said:

    It took me a LONG to find another soul mate in the food department.. then Nickers came along.  Yup, my #1 rule is if it came out of the water, I don't eat it...  Cows wading in a pond get a pass.  😁 .    

    Well I'm not taking either of you two to my "secret" source of crawfish in Colorado of all places. In August they come upstream out of a reservior to go spawn at night. You take a strong flashlight or lantern and pick them right out of the shallow stream, de-tail 'em and quick char them on a grill. Use melted butter to soak them in and there you have what I fooled a friend into thinking were grilled baby lobster tails. Only way I could get that Bostonite to give crawfish tails a try. He loved them even after I clued him in to what they really were.

    And give me a blacked or butter broiled redfish or flounder over a thick steak any day of the week. Nothin' better IMHungryO.?