Skip to content

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

The Browns Board
3.1k 65 181.6k 2
  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    Smoked Tri Tip.

    Need to trim up the Tri tip. I leave a little fat though. 

    Start with a good Brown Sugar Rub (Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Brown Sugar).  I add a little ground dark roast coffee.

    Slow and Low with Cherry and Hickory wood chips.  225 degrees.  This is a quick burn.  

    3A196CBF-D3A5-4185-92E7-9C7C02708E08.jpeg

    E22504DD-C815-4FDF-9F29-554A64BD6EAD.jpeg

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

    Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

    Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

    SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

    And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  😁

    20220706_195525.jpeg

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    And before any of you wise guys ask NO we did NOT have any money crops.   😆

  • Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

    Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

    Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

    SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

    And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  😁

    20220706_195525.jpeg

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

    Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

    Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

    SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

    And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  😁

    20220706_195525.jpeg

    The Basil looks great.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

    Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

    Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

    SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

    And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  😁

    20220706_195525.jpeg

    The Basil looks great.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The Basil looks great.

    Oh yes.      We've got 12 different varieties of herbs right now with different basils, thymes and others.  She also propagates  and some herbs last several years so it varies some year to year.  Not all are in that picture. 

    She's been doing it for a long time and has that green thumb just like her late father Lou.   

    I grew up in a gardening family,  about 5 acres at the old homestead  of about everything including a nice barn.  A fun hobby. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    ♠︎  Today's  dinner  menu.  ♠︎

    Country Pork ribs in sauerkraut,  parsley buttered potatoes.   And naturally our fresh herbs just cut now for both.  And the cook has taste tested everything,  I'm watching the Guardians (up 10-0)   and eating at 7 pm.

    We have 2 varieties of parsley this year (some years three),  flat leaf and curly, both look so good.

    The rest is just whatever appetizers and side dishes you want.  I know we have black olives, maybe artichokes  (go together).   We're having spinach for a vegetable. 

    And dessert maybe ice cream or I love ❤️  Little Debbie Swiss Rolls.

    And I guarantee  leftovers for Sunday.   Cook once, eat twice !    

    Bon Appétit.      😁

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Got me an individual sized anchovy pizza from Poppy's in Estes Park last night and eating the 2nd half tonight. Love anchovy pizza and I don't have to worry about someone stealing my leftovers.?

  • Got me an individual sized anchovy pizza from Poppy's in Estes Park last night and eating the 2nd half tonight. Love anchovy pizza and I don't have to worry about someone stealing my leftovers.?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Got me an individual sized anchovy pizza from Poppy's in Estes Park last night and eating the 2nd half tonight. Love anchovy pizza and I don't have to worry about someone stealing my leftovers.?

    Yes not too many anchovy pizza thieves running around there I imagine. 

    But the important thing did you enjoy your leftover pizza, always nice to open up the frig and find something good to eat.  🙂

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    so, the garden is producing a LOT of tomatoes. Finally got a good bit of rain. I made this dish a few days ago -

    for those who love good tomatoes:

    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-dumplings/

    exps918_EIT2919394B10_24_4bC_RMS-1.jpg?f

  • so, the garden is producing a LOT of tomatoes. Finally got a good bit of rain. I made this dish a few days ago -

    for those who love good tomatoes:

    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-dumplings/

    exps918_EIT2919394B10_24_4bC_RMS-1.jpg?f

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    so, the garden is producing a LOT of tomatoes. Finally got a good bit of rain. I made this dish a few days ago -

    for those who love good tomatoes:

    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-dumplings/

    ✔️     Looks like a good recipe from Taste of Home.  My wife used to read their magazine. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Well its about time for a easy and delicious  GAMEDAY  meal how about a TACO CASSEROLE  oh yes.  You should like it !

    Here is  great GAMEDAY or any night meal  TACO CASSEROLE  mmm-mmm.   An easy to do recipe and 30-35 minute cook time.  AND don't forget to check  ✔️ out the kitchen tips and information below. 

     
    thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2
     

    SERVES  6    COOK TIME  35  MINUTES 

    Taco Casserole is a simple, Mexican-inspired, ground beef recipe that everyone in your GAMEDAY gang or family will eat right up. It's got all the tasty taco fillings you and your family love. But best of all, you can make our Taco Casserole in advance, and heat it up when you're ready to eat!

    This easy casserole recipes has a special place in the hearts of the Test Kitchen. Why? Because this Taco Casserole is a meal we’ve all sat down to and enjoyed together. When you’re looking to make a meal that will really bring family together, this dinner casserole should be your go-to.  The juicy ground beef is perfectly complimented by the gooey cheese and zesty taco seasoning! And we think the crushed tortilla chips add the perfect crunch. Don’t wait to make this easy casserole recipe; it’s a Tex-Mex favorite the whole family will love!

    ✔️     What You'll Need

    • 1 pound ground beef (see Note)
    • 1 small onion, chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
    • 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    • 1 cup sour cream
    • 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
    • 4 cups crushed tortilla chips
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese
    •  

    ✔️     What to Do

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
    2. In a large skillet over high heat, cook beef and onion 5 to 6 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain off excess fat. Add garlic powder, taco seasoning mix, and tomato sauce to beef; mix and set aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese; set aside.
    4. Place half the crushed chips in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add enough meat mixture to cover the chips, then cover the meat with half the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese; repeat layers.
    5. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, or until casserole is heated through.

    ✔️      Our Kitchen Tips !

    • Want to make this casserole a bit lighter? Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and use low-fat sour cream and cheese.
    • For more taco options, check out our recipes for Bean 'n' Veggie Soft Tacos, our Sassy Chicken Street Tacos, or our Simple Fish Tacos!
       
    • We've got even more tacos for dessert! Make our Mini Fruit Tacos, or our Ice Cream Tacos as a treat everyone will love. 
       
    • This Taco Casserole is just one of the easy and tasty recipes you'll find in our collection of Easy Mexican Casseroles!
       
    • Why make tacos in a cassrole dish? Making tacos for dinner is always fun and delicious; but it can create a ton of mess and dishes to clean up afterwards! That takes the fun out of any meal, if you ask us. But making this casserole gives you all the delicious flavors and fun of tacos without all the mess. That's something we can always get behind! 

    If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

    Up Next:

    Taco-Casserole_Category-CategoryPageDefault_ID-2029053.jpg

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

  • I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

    To me, that is the beauty of cooking.  Unlike baking, which is more about the chemistry involved, meaning you can't monkey around with the formula if you want the cake or whatever to come out right, you can fool around with a recipe to add more or less, or even other items you like.  Unless you just run totally afoul of the recipe, you have your own version.

    As an example, a classic beef stroganoff calls for mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't put them in.  If you really like them, add more.

  • I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

    Sounds good. 

    .....* We often tweak recipes for a number of reasons primarily what do we have on hand or things we prefer or would like to try......without changing the recipe too much or like Peen said you end up with something else....for better or worse.   Especially baking my wife is more strict on quantities and ingredients there.

    ALSO what's in season especially tomatoes ?  ummm-ummm.    And my wife has coloresteral issues that run in her family even though she and her mother eat a good diet and are in good shape  so she watches the cheeses and occasionally substitsubstitutes there..  Same with using cottage cheese instead of others.

    Me I can eat anything that won't eat me first    -but-    I'm eating better and healthier since 2015 than ever.when I lost 63 pounds and decided to keep most it off.  diet and exercise  is the magic bullet.

    So bon appetit everyone and eat well.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

    To me, that is the beauty of cooking.  Unlike baking, which is more about the chemistry involved, meaning you can't monkey around with the formula if you want the cake or whatever to come out right, you can fool around with a recipe to add more or less, or even other items you like.  Unless you just run totally afoul of the recipe, you have your own version.

    As an example, a classic beef stroganoff calls for mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't put them in.  If you really like them, add more.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    As an example, a classic beef stroganoff calls for mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't put them in.  If you really like them, add more.

    I like to cut up a ton of mushrooms and saute them in butter before pouring them over boneless baked chicken breasts. Yummmmmmyyyy!  But that's only if I don't bake them in a really good blackberry jam & rum sauce I make.?

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    having some homemade blueberry  cobbler ala mode taste  awesome on this hot summer day

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Tuesday evening  7/26 -   Had leftover homemade corn bread,  guacamole from the Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten great,  -and- my wife's recipe for chili with ground beef and Sweet Italian sausage with peppers and onions, garlic.......OMG fantastic,  I loved it !

    For dessert Little Debbie 's Swiss Rolls.  Watching the Guardians  up 8-2  bottom  8. ....... I'm stuffed.  

    Loved it. ❤️ 

  • sydS syd

    having some homemade blueberry  cobbler ala mode taste  awesome on this hot summer day

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen

    @syd said:

    having some homemade blueberry  cobbler ala mode taste  awesome on this hot summer day

    A nice quickie for that is mix up a box of yellow or white cake mix with about 1 1/2 cups melted butter.  Press it out over your berries with some added brown or unrefined sugar...bake 45 min(give or take) at 350....bing bang boom....just scoop on the Blue Bell

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    You don't always need a fancy recipe meal for a good meal.

    ■   Wednesday July 27,  late evening meal.   And it's so nice to have a wife that's a scratch cook and likes  to change things up.   -And- make an easy evening supper. 

    We generally get steak, fish and chicken at our local Giant Eagle, great meat store.  BUT my wife was in Aldi's NEVER  bought chicken there before planning on my wife's chicken salad dish.   Well she got the chicken there, when home my wife thought it was maybe OK at best.  She prepared it as usual baking dish, EVOO, etc. and changed the menu from Chicken Salad  to a Chicken Margherita  dish.

    For  the salad a Cucumber Salad with Red Onions.  Using the longer English style cucumber and a hotter red onion instead of white or vadallia onion.  She mixed mayonnaise, sour cream, white vinegar, black pepper and (new) a few tbsp of a ranch dressing.     *Cool in frig.      I put some s&p on at the table. OMG, GOOD !  I loved it and she made a bowl half in frig to marinate for tomorrow. 

    On the chicken it wasn't great so she made the Chicken Margherita dish pasta, tomatos, a Parmesan sauce,  a sweet fresh garden basil.   (i don't have any other details) .  It was OK but better with better chicken  she was right there.

    Dessert was Banana Split Ice Cream from Giant Eagle delicious !   I had seconds. 

    A good easy Wednesday late evening meal on the fly and delicious  (except for the bird).

         * edit add.      * Cool salad in frig, make extra for day 2 marinate overnight in frig.

    I'll come up with a  GAMEDAY MEAL later on, not tonight.   🙂

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222

    49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.thumb.jpeg.473eb17891a61bca121363445cb81536.jpegBeen awhile since I’ve posted up some of my food here. Been craving some Mexican food and finally had some time to cook a little Fajitas with chipotle chicken, chile lime marinated skirt steak , onions and hatch chilies. Double cheese enchilada topped with keto charro beans and a little Salvadoran crema and lime zest. Beans are made with black soy and loaded with bacon , chorizo , onions and hatch chiles. Enchilada is a 100% cheddar shell filled with shredded quesadilla cheese and mild green chiles. 

    49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.jpeg