Bernie Kosar, new book
-
Oh from amazon prime.....
Bernie Kosar: Learning to Scramble
Sep 10, 2017by Bernie Kosar and Craig StoutGet it by Tomorrow, Nov 14FREE Shipping on eligible orders -
Editorial Reviews
Review
I have always known Bernie to be a tough competitor and a brilliant student of the game, devoted to constantly trying to get better. In this candid book, his true passion and vast knowledge about the sport shine through. --Bill Belichick, New England Patriots head coach and seven-time Super Bowl champion, including five as head coach
Bernie's story is one of adversity and strength, which is something I can certainly relate to. He handles everything that life throws at him with dignity and respect and I am proud to call him a friend. --Jim Kelly, Pro Football Hall of Famer
When I met Bernie, as a nine-year veteran I thought I had seen it all, but Bernie, a first-round savior coming home, a conquering hero with a Miami cool aura and a national championship notch on his belt, was one of the most unique athletes and personalities to ever play in the NFL. He was the best teammate, the toughest, smartest, most loyal and dedicated teammate who taught himself to excel as an NFL quarterback, with samurai gifts of anticipation and instincts that had to be seen up close to truly appreciate. Believe me, the Marinos, Elways, or Kellys may have played a "prettier" QB, but if I were picking sides for battle, I'd take Bernie. His life off the field was complicated, but anyone who knew Bernie as a friend understood that if you needed him for anything, like he played, he'd give you everything he had. --Gary Danielson, former NFL quarterback and current CBS sports analyst -
I think I'll have to read that one. I remember him playing hurt a lot. I also know some of the hell he went through and yet always kept his chin up. Local kid does good...plus...local kid leads local pro team.
BERNIE FOR GM!
-
I think I'll have to read that one. I remember him playing hurt a lot. I also know some of the hell he went through and yet always kept his chin up. Local kid does good...plus...local kid leads local pro team.
BERNIE FOR GM!
I think I'll have to read that one. I remember him playing hurt a lot. I also know some of the hell he went through and yet always kept his chin up. Local kid does good...plus...local kid leads local pro team.
BERNIE FOR GM!
Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.
In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.
Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies.
-
GM
I'm on board. the guy knows the browns, loves the browns, and has an eye for talent. Add him to the mix with sashi making trades, and get hue a "jim bob cooter" to call the plays.
I'm on board. the guy knows the browns, loves the browns, and has an eye for talent. Add him to the mix with sashi making trades, and get hue a "jim bob cooter" to call the plays.
OK, as much as I also love Bernie......what evidence do you have that he has an "eye for talent". Just curious.
And I guess the same can be said for Peyton Manning. Where is the evidence that these guys know how to pick talent? (not that they could be any worse than what has gone on here....any one of you and I could have picked better).
If Bernie and Peyton were able to pick themselves in their prime...that is one thing. But what about other talent?
-
I think I'll have to read that one. I remember him playing hurt a lot. I also know some of the hell he went through and yet always kept his chin up. Local kid does good...plus...local kid leads local pro team.
BERNIE FOR GM!
Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.
In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.
Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies.
Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.
In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.
Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies.
If you made a list of the Ten Greatest College football games ever played.....BK would likely appear in at least 2 of them:
1. The Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska for the National Championship
2. The "Hail Flutie" game. Bernie's heroics in that game of course became overshadowed by what occurred on that final play.
-
I'm on board. the guy knows the browns, loves the browns, and has an eye for talent. Add him to the mix with sashi making trades, and get hue a "jim bob cooter" to call the plays.
OK, as much as I also love Bernie......what evidence do you have that he has an "eye for talent". Just curious.
And I guess the same can be said for Peyton Manning. Where is the evidence that these guys know how to pick talent? (not that they could be any worse than what has gone on here....any one of you and I could have picked better).
If Bernie and Peyton were able to pick themselves in their prime...that is one thing. But what about other talent?
OK, as much as I also love Bernie......what evidence do you have that he has an "eye for talent". Just curious.
And I guess the same can be said for Peyton Manning. Where is the evidence that these guys know how to pick talent? (not that they could be any worse than what has gone on here....any one of you and I could have picked better).
If Bernie and Peyton were able to pick themselves in their prime...that is one thing. But what about other talent?
That is a good point many good or great players do not make good or great coaches or FO people, maybe just their individual traits or whatever. Now some ex jocks might be good at recognizing talent I think Bernie would be an upgrade over what we've seen since 1999......only an opportunity and time will tell.
Oddly many people like Howard Cossel's book title "I never played the game" are just that good announcers, coaches even FO people.
-
Besides being a local kid I followed his career closely from QB at Boardman HS to the U to the BROWNS, Miami and Dallas, he was one smart guy.
In his final college game, the 1985 Fiesta Bowl against UCLA, Kosar completed 31 of 44 passes for 294 yards. He also had two touchdown passes and one interception. Kosar graduated from college with a double major in Finance and economics. He took 18 credit hours during the spring of 1985, and an additional six during the summer in order to graduate early. The BROWNS grabbed him in the supplimental draft and the rest was Cleveland history.
Bernie's college QB guru was Mark Tressman who was moving on to the Minnesota Vikings and they wanted Bernie but that slick (and devious) Art Modell snookered him away to our beloved brownies.
If you made a list of the Ten Greatest College football games ever played.....BK would likely appear in at least 2 of them:
1. The Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska for the National Championship
2. The "Hail Flutie" game. Bernie's heroics in that game of course became overshadowed by what occurred on that final play.
2. The "Hail Flutie" game. Bernie's heroics in that game of course became overshadowed by what occurred on that final play.
Yep, Jackie Sherrill's first ever game as HC for A&M in 1982 was against some damn eastern school that trotted out this little shrimpy looking true freshman QB that no one knew anything about. We had the great DL Ray Childress , later known as one of the best to play for the Oilers, as the guy who was going to tear this little upstart from limb to limb @ Kyle Field. It was a new era for a great coach on National TV and it started off with a whimper with that little bastard riddling us for a 38-16 win. That is the first day anyone nationally had ever heard the name Doug Flutie. It was like trying to catch Houdini with an accurate arm from any angle and any speed. That's why Flutie liked JFF so much. It was like watching himself some 30 years before.
-
Flutie to Phalan won Doug the Heisman right there......I know exactly where I was standing when that happened. (at my uncle's bar). Bernie was a good candidate but it was Flutie's right there. Doug was a class act after the game and was looking for Bernie who had left straight for the locker room, heartbreaking loss on basically a lucky toss and catch....oh well it happens.
"The million dollar moment" when you win the Heisman, what they used to call it.....probably much more now.
-
This article....just published this July, gives the 25 greatest college games of all time:
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/244707972/best-100-college-football-games-ever-part-4
It puts the Miami/Nebraska Orange Bowl which Bernie played at #2 all time....behind only the USC/Texas title game won by Vince Young
The Hail Flutie game was ranked #12. I would have put it higher.
#3 was just last years Clemson/Alabama title game.
-
Stats for that Hail Flutie game:
Doug Flutie and No. 10 Boston College on Black Friday. Flutie and Bernie Kosar dueled all game, as Flutie passed for 472 yards and three TDs and Kosar had 447 yards and two TDs.
-
Also......list of 400 yard games passing in NFL postseason play:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

