Skip to content

Browns vs Lions

The Browns Board
230 40 6.9k
  • I'm a Lions fan and I have a little insight in to this. Lions went 0-16 in 2008. They drafted Stafford #1 and they went 2-14 in his rookie year, which he went 2-8 and missed 6 games. We did get blown out quite a few times, but it was a big step forward from the 2008 team. In 2010 Stafford only played 3 games, but he had 6tds and 1int in those games. The Lions went 6-10 and lost a lot of games that were close. The third year after 0-16, Stafford played his first full season. We won 10 games and made the playoffs the first time in 12 seasons. Stafford had 5000 yards and 40tds. So basically we went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 after going 0-16. Depending on how the Browns finish this year will tell if progress really has been made. I'd say 4-12 would be a natural progression where you can say ok we improved. 

    Good game today by the way. I know I was dreading this game, as nobody wants to be the team to lose to a team without a win. Lions had a big game last week winning in Lambeau for the second time in 28 seasons. We were in a short week and came out flat for sure. The Lions in my opinion played one of their worse games today. The Browns are desperate and have nothing to lose, nobody wants to play a team like that. I will give up to Browns coaches a little bit, they came out with a great game plan and those first scripted plays were executed really well. Kizer played his best game perhaps. 

    Good Luck the rest of the way.

    @ghoolie1fan said:

    I'm a Lions fan and I have a little insight in to this. Lions went 0-16 in 2008. They drafted Stafford #1 and they went 2-14 in his rookie year, which he went 2-8 and missed 6 games. We did get blown out quite a few times, but it was a big step forward from the 2008 team. In 2010 Stafford only played 3 games, but he had 6tds and 1int in those games. The Lions went 6-10 and lost a lot of games that were close. The third year after 0-16, Stafford played his first full season. We won 10 games and made the playoffs the first time in 12 seasons. Stafford had 5000 yards and 40tds. So basically we went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 after going 0-16. Depending on how the Browns finish this year will tell if progress really has been made. I'd say 4-12 would be a natural progression where you can say ok we improved. 

    Good game today by the way. I know I was dreading this game, as nobody wants to be the team to lose to a team without a win. Lions had a big game last week winning in Lambeau for the second time in 28 seasons. We were in a short week and came out flat for sure. The Lions in my opinion played one of their worse games today. The Browns are desperate and have nothing to lose, nobody wants to play a team like that. I will give up to Browns coaches a little bit, they came out with a great game plan and those first scripted plays were executed really well. Kizer played his best game perhaps. 

    Good Luck the rest of the way.

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

  • @ghoolie1fan said:

    I'm a Lions fan and I have a little insight in to this. Lions went 0-16 in 2008. They drafted Stafford #1 and they went 2-14 in his rookie year, which he went 2-8 and missed 6 games. We did get blown out quite a few times, but it was a big step forward from the 2008 team. In 2010 Stafford only played 3 games, but he had 6tds and 1int in those games. The Lions went 6-10 and lost a lot of games that were close. The third year after 0-16, Stafford played his first full season. We won 10 games and made the playoffs the first time in 12 seasons. Stafford had 5000 yards and 40tds. So basically we went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 after going 0-16. Depending on how the Browns finish this year will tell if progress really has been made. I'd say 4-12 would be a natural progression where you can say ok we improved. 

    Good game today by the way. I know I was dreading this game, as nobody wants to be the team to lose to a team without a win. Lions had a big game last week winning in Lambeau for the second time in 28 seasons. We were in a short week and came out flat for sure. The Lions in my opinion played one of their worse games today. The Browns are desperate and have nothing to lose, nobody wants to play a team like that. I will give up to Browns coaches a little bit, they came out with a great game plan and those first scripted plays were executed really well. Kizer played his best game perhaps. 

    Good Luck the rest of the way.

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

    @baconhound said:

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

  • @baconhound said:

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

    @hoorta said:

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

  • @hoorta said:

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    @baconhound said:

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    Or a Bucs fan saying keep your chin up?

  • @hoorta said:

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    @baconhound said:

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    Getting sympathy from a Lion’s fan makes me want to put a plastic bag over my head.

  • @baconhound said:

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    Getting sympathy from a Lion’s fan makes me want to put a plastic bag over my head.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Getting sympathy from a Lion’s fan makes me want to put a plastic bag over my head.

    LOL well at least the Browns Board is like our support group.

    Hi I'm Bacon, I've been a Browns fan since 1985.  I've tried to avoid this horrible addiction but I can't seem to kick the habit.

  • @hoorta said:

    Yup, 5-4 we're dancing in the streets...  

    Don't really know who the original poster is but the mere thought of a Lions fans saying "hang in there guys some day you'll be as good as us", makes me want to punch someone.

    @baconhound said:

     makes me want to punch someone.

    punch Cleve, but wait till he puts both Bosa Jerseys on🙂

  • @baconhound said:

     makes me want to punch someone.

    punch Cleve, but wait till he puts both Bosa Jerseys on🙂

    @gumby73 said:

    punch Cleve, but wait till he puts both Bosa Jerseys on🙂

    Cleve is starting to crack a bit, a loss to the Jags may bring him to the dark side 

  • @mark-o said:

    First thing you have to realize is that this is a bottom line league...you are what your record says you are.   Hue is 1-24 as a HC, that sucks and he is still making the same mistakes over and over and over again.   His play callling is horrendous.  I think he's actually keeping Kizer from playing better.   So those of you saying that we should keep Huey no matter what....what does it take for him to lose his job?  Does he need to literally take a Sheet on the field during the game?   1-31 is still ok in your mind?  What about 1-47?    2-46?   What does it take for the organization to decide that he's just not a good HC and find someone else?

    Frankly I don't care if we go 1-31 or 2-30.  Next year I expect to see improvement.  The players won't be so young.  And with the draft, we will be much better.  Now if next year we don't see improvement next year, then I will join the bandwagon as well to get rid of Hue.  And I do agree with most people on this board that we need an OC.  It's way too much for Hue to coach this team without one.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Frankly I don't care if we go 1-31 or 2-30.  Next year I expect to see improvement.  The players won't be so young.  And with the draft, we will be much better.  Now if next year we don't see improvement next year, then I will join the bandwagon as well to get rid of Hue.  And I do agree with most people on this board that we need an OC.  It's way too much for Hue to coach this team without one.

    lmao....Hue isn't coming back for next year barring some turnaround.  You dont keep your job as a head coach if you set records for futility.

  • @ghoolie1fan said:

    I'm a Lions fan and I have a little insight in to this. Lions went 0-16 in 2008. They drafted Stafford #1 and they went 2-14 in his rookie year, which he went 2-8 and missed 6 games. We did get blown out quite a few times, but it was a big step forward from the 2008 team. In 2010 Stafford only played 3 games, but he had 6tds and 1int in those games. The Lions went 6-10 and lost a lot of games that were close. The third year after 0-16, Stafford played his first full season. We won 10 games and made the playoffs the first time in 12 seasons. Stafford had 5000 yards and 40tds. So basically we went 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 after going 0-16. Depending on how the Browns finish this year will tell if progress really has been made. I'd say 4-12 would be a natural progression where you can say ok we improved. 

    Good game today by the way. I know I was dreading this game, as nobody wants to be the team to lose to a team without a win. Lions had a big game last week winning in Lambeau for the second time in 28 seasons. We were in a short week and came out flat for sure. The Lions in my opinion played one of their worse games today. The Browns are desperate and have nothing to lose, nobody wants to play a team like that. I will give up to Browns coaches a little bit, they came out with a great game plan and those first scripted plays were executed really well. Kizer played his best game perhaps. 

    Good Luck the rest of the way.

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

    @baconhound said:

    Appreciate the sentiment but please the Lions stink as well.  They may stink a bit less than the Browns but Stafford is 55-62.  I'm not hating on the Lions because you guys are the NFC's version of the Browns but the template for success isn't there.  Yes Stafford has made the Lions better than a cellar dweller but that is about it.

    BTW with the direction the Browns are heading I'd take Detroit's limited success in a heartbeat.

    Stafford gets the least amount of help of any qb with a positive WPA (win percentage added) in NFL history. He has a game winning drive or 4th quarter comeback in 24.7% of his NFL starts. He's had a RB rush for 100 yards in 8 of 117 games the lowest rate in NFL history. He was drafted to the worse team in NFL history. The Lions have been a bad franchise but you can't put it on Stafford. 

    We've made a lot of strides over past 5 years. We actually have a winning record under Caldwell. We're not a great team, but coming from 0-16 and not winning in Lambeau in 26 years or winning a road game in 3 years, we have realty improved. If we get a RB to help Stafford we'll be a contender. We're probably a wild card team this season. 

  • @dawg2fan said:

    Frankly I don't care if we go 1-31 or 2-30.  Next year I expect to see improvement.  The players won't be so young.  And with the draft, we will be much better.  Now if next year we don't see improvement next year, then I will join the bandwagon as well to get rid of Hue.  And I do agree with most people on this board that we need an OC.  It's way too much for Hue to coach this team without one.

    lmao....Hue isn't coming back for next year barring some turnaround.  You dont keep your job as a head coach if you set records for futility.

    @tacosman said:

    lmao....Hue isn't coming back for next year barring some turnaround.  You dont keep your job as a head coach if you set records for futility.

    No...we have to give him more time because 32 games isn't enough.   Not until he's 3-45 will we know that he's a shitty coach. 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Getting sympathy from a Lion’s fan makes me want to put a plastic bag over my head.

    LOL well at least the Browns Board is like our support group.

    Hi I'm Bacon, I've been a Browns fan since 1985.  I've tried to avoid this horrible addiction but I can't seem to kick the habit.

    @baconhound said:

    LOL well at least the Browns Board is like our support group.

    Hi I'm Bacon, I've been a Browns fan since 1985.  I've tried to avoid this horrible addiction but I can't seem to kick the habit.

    My addiction started in 1967...thanks to my dad.

    I find the Browns Board is more like a group therapy session, you know...misery loves company.

  • Hi, my name is Orion, I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.  (The Red Green Show)

    Lions fans pity us.  ugh....

    We're about as low as it gets.  Especially with the 49'ers winning...we're the undisputed chumpions...so far.  

  • Hi, my name is Orion, I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.  (The Red Green Show)

    Lions fans pity us.  ugh....

    We're about as low as it gets.  Especially with the 49'ers winning...we're the undisputed chumpions...so far.  

    @orion said:

    Hi, my name is Orion, I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.  (The Red Green Show)

    Lions fans pity us.  ugh....

    We're about as low as it gets.  Especially with the 49'ers winning...we're the undisputed chumpions...so far.  

    Thanks to Jimmah and Jimmah akone

  • I'll write more later (I'm sure you all are so excited) but I don't have time right now. There's a part of me that is somewhat encouraged today, but honestly, there's a bigger part that is so completely aggrevated by our continued red zone buttfukkery. That series of events before the half just sent me into a tailspin. Now, I DO love how we responded, and that can't be understated, but we are a team that can NEVER leave points on the field, and I honestly don't know why we called our final timeout with just over a minute to go. I don't get it.... 

  • I'll write more later (I'm sure you all are so excited) but I don't have time right now. There's a part of me that is somewhat encouraged today, but honestly, there's a bigger part that is so completely aggrevated by our continued red zone buttfukkery. That series of events before the half just sent me into a tailspin. Now, I DO love how we responded, and that can't be understated, but we are a team that can NEVER leave points on the field, and I honestly don't know why we called our final timeout with just over a minute to go. I don't get it.... 

    @jiggins7919 said:

     I honestly don't know why we called our final timeout with just over a minute to go. I don't get it.... 

    It's called poor clock management, something having a really good OC could cure in a heartbeat. But with Hue it's a chronic problem.

  • I have to vent on something, and I'm going to do my absolute best to keep it from being TOO whiney and immature, but I am so COMPLETELY sick and effing tired of our offense trying the freaking "fade pass" to the corner of the end zone OVER AND OVER again.  I can't take it.  The only time I can remember it working is when Hogan threw a pass to Devalve when the Houston game was well out of hand, and other than that, I can probably count twenty failed attempts.  That interception at the end of the game yesterday was just so terrible, I couldn't even stop myself from screaming at the television like a mad man.  My dog slinked away and hid under the couch, and even the birds in the front yard scattered like a bomb detonated.  We run it SO MUCH that the defense is actually WAITING on it.  I mean, the defender just backed off of Louis and waited for the effing ball!  Ricardo got jammed like a little girl, and then looked to just give up on the pass.  It was freaking awful, and I want to know WHY we continue to run a play that essentially NEVER works for us.  

    Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing but expecting a different result?  And why would we EVER run that route to Ricardo?  Has he ever really shown the ability to high-point the ball?  I know we were down 14 and the game was pretty much over for all intents and purposes, but we HAVE TO GET BETTER in the red zone, and this was a golden opportunity to get some work in.  I watched a highlight video of every touchdown scored this week, and do you have any idea how many TD's were scored from about the 5 yard line?  I didn't see hardly any fades thrown, but I did see an impressive diversity of successful playcalls, and I HAVE to believe we have SOMETHING up our sleeve besides that dreaded "jump ball" crap.  We can't do some misdirection?  We can't try a middle-shovel pass?  A QB draw? (not sneak, but draw).  We can't try the play where the QB runs to his right and throws the dig route to the WR?  How about a naked bootleg, or protected bootleg?  We need a breath of fresh air blown into our offense, and I am firmly on the "hire an OC" bandwagon.  What really hurts is how we can look somewhat decent all of the way UNTIL we get close to scoring, and then we just go stupid.  What really hurts is hearing Hue Jackson saying we work really hard on red zone execution during the week, and that's pretty scary.  

    Something else too....the officials in the first half.  I know only losers complain about the officiating, and I don't normally do it, but they REALLY screwed us on that one drive, and it was repulsive.  The one on Shon Coleman was especially revolting, and even the announcer was like...."Uhhhh....I don't think I've seen that call before.  Coleman looked to be on the line to me, so I guess the officials are going to be calling it very close."  No, they aren't going to be calling it very close, because on several of the Lions' first half runs, there were worse holds on THEIR offense that weren't called.  It's fine if they want to call a super tight game, but that has to extend BOTH WAYS, and it really didn't.  We put together a very nice drive, Kizer made a nice throw to Britt for 30 yards, and the holding they called was so weak I couldn't believe it.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

     I honestly don't know why we called our final timeout with just over a minute to go. I don't get it.... 

    It's called poor clock management, something having a really good OC could cure in a heartbeat. But with Hue it's a chronic problem.

    @texasag1969 said:

    It's called poor clock management, something having a really good OC could cure in a heartbeat. But with Hue it's a chronic problem.

    Its something that  poor head coach continues to struggle with.   It's been a struggle for 25 games now, I don't think he's going to suddenly "get it" in the 26th game either.   Maybe he just wanted to make sure to leave enough time for Detroit to score.

  • I have to vent on something, and I'm going to do my absolute best to keep it from being TOO whiney and immature, but I am so COMPLETELY sick and effing tired of our offense trying the freaking "fade pass" to the corner of the end zone OVER AND OVER again.  I can't take it.  The only time I can remember it working is when Hogan threw a pass to Devalve when the Houston game was well out of hand, and other than that, I can probably count twenty failed attempts.  That interception at the end of the game yesterday was just so terrible, I couldn't even stop myself from screaming at the television like a mad man.  My dog slinked away and hid under the couch, and even the birds in the front yard scattered like a bomb detonated.  We run it SO MUCH that the defense is actually WAITING on it.  I mean, the defender just backed off of Louis and waited for the effing ball!  Ricardo got jammed like a little girl, and then looked to just give up on the pass.  It was freaking awful, and I want to know WHY we continue to run a play that essentially NEVER works for us.  

    Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing but expecting a different result?  And why would we EVER run that route to Ricardo?  Has he ever really shown the ability to high-point the ball?  I know we were down 14 and the game was pretty much over for all intents and purposes, but we HAVE TO GET BETTER in the red zone, and this was a golden opportunity to get some work in.  I watched a highlight video of every touchdown scored this week, and do you have any idea how many TD's were scored from about the 5 yard line?  I didn't see hardly any fades thrown, but I did see an impressive diversity of successful playcalls, and I HAVE to believe we have SOMETHING up our sleeve besides that dreaded "jump ball" crap.  We can't do some misdirection?  We can't try a middle-shovel pass?  A QB draw? (not sneak, but draw).  We can't try the play where the QB runs to his right and throws the dig route to the WR?  How about a naked bootleg, or protected bootleg?  We need a breath of fresh air blown into our offense, and I am firmly on the "hire an OC" bandwagon.  What really hurts is how we can look somewhat decent all of the way UNTIL we get close to scoring, and then we just go stupid.  What really hurts is hearing Hue Jackson saying we work really hard on red zone execution during the week, and that's pretty scary.  

    Something else too....the officials in the first half.  I know only losers complain about the officiating, and I don't normally do it, but they REALLY screwed us on that one drive, and it was repulsive.  The one on Shon Coleman was especially revolting, and even the announcer was like...."Uhhhh....I don't think I've seen that call before.  Coleman looked to be on the line to me, so I guess the officials are going to be calling it very close."  No, they aren't going to be calling it very close, because on several of the Lions' first half runs, there were worse holds on THEIR offense that weren't called.  It's fine if they want to call a super tight game, but that has to extend BOTH WAYS, and it really didn't.  We put together a very nice drive, Kizer made a nice throw to Britt for 30 yards, and the holding they called was so weak I couldn't believe it.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I have to vent on something, and I'm going to do my absolute best to keep it from being TOO whiney and immature, but I am so COMPLETELY sick and effing tired of our offense trying the freaking "fade pass" to the corner of the end zone OVER AND OVER again.  I can't take it. 

    Again...its the HC and the guy calling the plays.    Kizer is not good at that throw.  Everyone of us who have watched the games can see it's not something he's good at.  Maybe it will improve with time or next training camp...but right now...he doesn't have it, so why fucking call it over and over again?  Because our coach is a fucking moron.   Same reason why in Hogan's start against the Texans he kept having him throw those deep out patterns that clearly Hogan doesn't have the arm for....but hell...its in the playbook so we're going to keep trying it.    Huey does not adjust his coaching to the players he has on the field.  He expects the players to run the plays that he thinks should work, regardless of skill set.  

    It's the sign of a bad coach and hey...he's 1-24 and he's won 2 of his last 30...but lets give him more time to see if he improves.   

  • You definitely don't want a guy with a strong arm but accuracy problems to make throws putting air under the ball. I would prefer if he simply played curl, quick outs or other patterns where the ball has to get fast and the defender only can try to protect the pass and doesn't have a 50/50 shot on making an interception. Red zone efficiency sucks.