The jags game could easily be a trap game for them
-
I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them.
The Jags' current defense is still physical, and they also want to punish the opposition on the ground. I VERY much want a physical back like they have, and people like Fournette and Gurley have people rethinking the value of drafting a RB high in the draft. Our defense is good against the run, despite a rough outing recently, but the loss of Collins will cost us dearly. This game above all others will come down to forcing them into 3rd and long situations. We want Bortles forcing the ball into tight windows so we can exploit his inconsistent accuracy. Additionally, I don't think this is a game where we need to bring pressure ALL the time. Gregg Williams definitely got abused by Matt Stafford last week, and we were caught multiple times with our pants down for big plays and a game-clinching TD. We need to disguise our blitzes better, FAKE pressure often and drop back into coverage. We also need our guys win on one on the DL and get sacks that way. Bortles will hold onto the rock, and chances will be there. Keep an eye on Ogbah, as Myles Garrett's presence should continue to benefit him.
It's safe to say their secondary makes me nervous. We're going to have to find ways to get our running game cooking, and we can't get into consistent 3rd and longs or we're going to have a long day. We'll need to take some measured deep shots and mix in the occasional double move. We had Dreggs on one such move but Kessler missed him by a freaking mile. THOSE are the kind of opportunities we simply can't miss if we ever want to be in the winning column.
Bortles WILL give us a few chances to make some picks, so we have to exploit them. We MUST connect on any deep shots that present themselves, and force them into FG's when they are in red zone. I personally think their physical defense will be too much for us to overcome, but hopefully in wrong. It's really a bad break for Kizer who is coming off his best career game AND has near-broken ribs. Now he does get Coleman back, so this could help, but my expectations are definitely measured.
I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them.
True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.
And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.
-
Jax has a poir rush d so we'd better run it down their throats early, give kizer some PA opportunities
Jax has a poir rush d...
en français?You mean that dime a dozen shouldabeen 2nd-3rd round Tour pick-Fornette?

I have him at the top of my fantasy list for this weekend. 150-200 points for sure.

What? And sit Henry?

-
Jax has a poir rush d so we'd better run it down their throats early, give kizer some PA opportunities
Jax has a poir rush d so we'd better run it down their throats early, give kizer some PA opportunities
It has looked totally different since they got Dareus. The Bills run D went to absolute crap since he was traded.
-
I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them.
True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.
And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.
And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.
I'll be hopeful for a win c ome Sunday morning but i'd think it has to be low scoring and we've got to hope that Bortles does them in.
-
Losing Collins will definitely hurt us. We need to stop the running game. I don't think Bortles can beat us in the air, but damn, their secondary is scary.
-
Not to mention their DL..
Both Coleman and Drango are going to have their hands full. Pretty sure Coleman draws Calais Campbell while Drango sees Fowler, Jr. in passing situations... Yikes!
and LBs...
Posluszny has been one of the most underrated MLBs for years and now he's joined by Smith and a healthy Jack? Wow...
And suddenly my already limited hope takes a knee to the groin...
-
Jax has a poir rush d...
en français?You mean that dime a dozen shouldabeen 2nd-3rd round Tour pick-Fornette?

I have him at the top of my fantasy list for this weekend. 150-200 points for sure.

What? And sit Henry?

en français?What? And sit Henry?

Not to mention their DL..
Both Coleman and Drango are going to have their hands full. Pretty sure Coleman draws Calais Campbell while Drango sees Fowler, Jr. in passing situations... Yikes!
and LBs...
Posluszny has been one of the most underrated MLBs for years and now he's joined by Smith and a healthy Jack? Wow...
And suddenly my already limited hope takes a knee to the groin...
Posluszny still playing? Christ i remember wanting the browns to draft him years ago. Like he came out from penn st pre mangini years right? Gotta be close to 10 years now
-
Jax has a poir rush d...
en français?You mean that dime a dozen shouldabeen 2nd-3rd round Tour pick-Fornette?

I have him at the top of my fantasy list for this weekend. 150-200 points for sure.

What? And sit Henry?

What? And sit Henry?
You are aware you can play up to 3 RB's right? That said I gave up on the idiot Titans who take Henry out when they are close in the redzone. I still think we can make a deal with them and immediately upgrade our power run game.
EDIT: But our FO will likely take the Henry lookalike from Bama (Bo), who only looks like him physically with the ponytail and all, but is a far cry from a Henry.
-
I see what the original poster is thinking, but I don't think we'll win. Over the past years, the Jags have given us trouble. Even the rare times we were SUPPOSED to win (yes, those times existed) the Jags gave us fits because of their extraordinarily physical defense. I remember them pushing us around and our offense struggling more than usual, and we had such a difficult time scoring points against them.
True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.
And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.
True... but surely you remember that we had to win first time out with Greco in for Mack and... wait for it... McQuistan backfilling for Greco at RG. Whatever chance we had going in.... and I think it was a good one... went out the window with every McQ ragdolling.
And this D is even better... so agree that my "W" expectation is low, but we have a punchers chance... as in if we can punch up some runs, set up PA and Kizer can buy time in obvious passing situations... we have a shot. Lotta iffin' atop make Bortles be Bortles, but it's all we got.
Oh I agree in some respects. I still think the Jags have to learn how to win, and how to win the games they're SUPPOSED to. Bortles is notoriously inaccurate, and while he seems to have fixed this issue to some degree, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be some opportunities for us to pick him off. Not only that, but I seem to remember Bortles having a good deal of his passes deflected at the line. This could be something I simply made up in my mind, or perhaps I saw a game where he had several deflected passes and it stuck with me, but if we get our hands on a few throws at the line of scrimmage, we just might come away with a turnover or even a pick-6.
I know we got gashed on the ground in the first half last week, but we've been pretty decent against the rush so far this year. Obviously the loss of Collins is a nightmare, but I seem to remember Burgess being pretty stout against the run (he got dinged up last week, so hopefully he's alright). Perhaps we can keep Fournette in check and keep it a low-scoring game.
No matter how I look at it, I still believe we're going to struggle mightily on offense. However, I can make a decent argument for us keeping it close, and you never know what can happen when a game is close in the 4th quarter. We've had a few games where if we made just ONE big play, we could've won it. Let's make that play...for once.
-
When the Jags can run effectively and keep Bortles' PAs in the teens, he can be effective. Establish the run... throw in a few PAP rollouts to wide open TEs and there it is. Put the game on his shoulders and he buckles. Just doesn't see the field.
I think your batted pass memory is accurate. Contributing factor to the horrendous overthrow he made late this past Sunday when the Charger Safety stupidly pranced rather than trying to return the INT. Could have shifted field position enough to prevent the game-winning FG when LAC failed to move the ball and JAX had all three TOs left.
Completely with you on learning to win... they ain't there yet as Sunday showed.
-
-
en français?What? And sit Henry?

Not to mention their DL..
Both Coleman and Drango are going to have their hands full. Pretty sure Coleman draws Calais Campbell while Drango sees Fowler, Jr. in passing situations... Yikes!
and LBs...
Posluszny has been one of the most underrated MLBs for years and now he's joined by Smith and a healthy Jack? Wow...
And suddenly my already limited hope takes a knee to the groin...
Posluszny still playing? Christ i remember wanting the browns to draft him years ago. Like he came out from penn st pre mangini years right? Gotta be close to 10 years now
Posluszny still playing? Christ i remember wanting the browns to draft him years ago. Like he came out from penn st pre mangini years right? Gotta be close to 10 years now
I confuse him with old Dave Puzzouli.....Brownd DL back in the 80s I believe.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login