Skip to content

Browns signed CB Roderick Hood

The Browns Board
49 24 4.5k
  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I love the depth, but the problem for me is that neither McDonald or Wright are nickle backs that can cover the inside/slot receiver. Two years ago when McDonald emerged Holly moved inside in the nickle coverage and Mcdonald took the outside spot. Ivey seems the best bet to be a slot receiver/nickle cover guy unless Hood can play that position and move inside in those situations.

    Bottom line is that it creates competition and McDonald and Wright will have to step up because they didn't distinguish themselves last year. The signing would then leave Poteat as an insurance guy against injuries during camp and holding a thin rope. Between Carey and Francies, one will make the team and one will be on the practice squad. Might come down to who is the best special teams player. Francies seems to have the edge.

    You can never have enough corners.

    LOOK AT WHAT YOU POSTED TWO DAYS AGO:

    I really can't see them going after Hood after they spent the draft picks on the two corners. Beside Poteat we have Ivy who most likely will be their nickle back. Besides, McDonald can't play inside. Even when he was a rookie, Holly moved inside and McDonald stqayed outside when he came into the game. Poteat is their #4 corner, at best, but I think between Francies and Cary one will make the roster and one will be put on the practice squad.

    Besides, Hood isn't a lock to beat anybody out, he is okay, but not a star. I believe McDonald and Wright's play will be much better play with better Safety play and the cover 2 scheme they will be running mostly.

    I believe Hood is asking for starter money and he may end up a #3 or #4 guy here.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I believe Hood is asking for starter money and he may end up a #3 or #4 guy here.

    I disagree. I think he'll be a #2 at worst. They have enough 3 and 4 guys, they added the depth all over the roster, now it looks like they want to sign starters. Depth isn't needed anymore. (<-- depth is always good, but this isn't a depth signing)

    Hood isn't a shutdown corner, nor a ballhawk, but he is a good corner who could start for most teams in the league. Definitely for the Browns. He's really good at returning after he makes an interception. He's only 27 years old, too. I really like this signing, and I think it gives the Browns two, young, solid to good corners to go along with the additions at safety and depth at CB. The secondary should be much improved. If the pass rush improves, I think the Browns will have a good defense.

  • Top ten defenses usually get around 40 sacks, and I'm not sure we're going to generate that much pressure. Despite all the positive talk about our new guys, Kamerion Wimbley and Corey Williams will be pivotal to upping the pressure, but no one here seems to be overly optimistic about those guys.

    Chances are we'll be going into next offseason looking for a dynamic DE and/or an athletic edge rusher who'll complete our already improving defense. We're closer, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

  • The more the depth the better. This will make our younger guys push even harder. I really don't see Mc Donald moving to an safety spots but I do see him getting better, we had 0 pressure last year and the QB could stand there for 10 seconds and then make a pass. This year will be a shit load more blitzes and Mc Donald and the rest of them will be a bit better. Rod Hood is such a smart investment though, for one it takes away from other teams getting him if they lose somebody to injury and we will have somebody if we get injured which always happens the first week of TC. Everyone take a step back and check out this new fn Cleveland Browns team, if you are not truly getting pumped for this season you have no heart and soul.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Wright, Hood, and McDonald are a pretty clear top three now. Hood had five teams coming after him because the Cardinals cut shocked everybody, including Phoenix media and fans. He's a very legit cover guy in this league and only 27 years old.

    When you have youth and experience at the top three, you aren't likely to keep around more than one more veteran when you could be developing youngsters. I think Ivey and Poteat compete for one spot and Carey and Francies compete for the other.

    But I won't be stunned now if Carey and Francies both make it.

    I think either Hood or McDonald can cover the slot, but Adams is a good nickel, too. We have six guys (Pool, Elam, Adams, Wright, McDonald, and Hood) who will eat up all the playing time.

    Hood led the team giving up 9 TDs last year and was replaced by the signing of McFadden. It's a nice pickup but I don't see him walking in as a starter. Again, McDonald hasn't shown he can play in the slot and Adams is a backup option. Neither him or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was. So, I'm hoping Hood can play inside and cover a slot receiver. If not, Ivey may be the best answer. He has experience with covering the slot receiver. He is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.

  • i really dont care who we have anymore. I was so stoked at this time last year. I just want to win our divison. I want to shut those loud mouth jerk off shitburgh fans up. i want us to win and win big

  • With that out of the way. our D looks great, How do you guys think our offense will do. And what about our special teams? if cribbs does leave us who will do the returns?

  • I dont think hood will start, B-mac is too good, and wright is a fan favorite. Ive posted numerous threads on our two starting corners and how theyre above league average, also how I believe that B-mac is better than wright (which he definitely is) I actually wrote a thread on it. I know wright is fast and can leap with the best of them, but I dont know why people like him so much, he consistently gives WR's a 10 yard cusion then makes the tackle, yeah he prevents the big play, but he is not as much of a ball hawk like B-mac nor is he even half as aggressive as B-mac. B-mac had one bad game last year and everyone hated him.... newsflash, it was one bad play against freakin Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, and it was actually sean jones' fault, Jones got the play wrong.

  • I think B-Mac goes to the nickel. No doubt Mangini & Co. watched the tapes and saw him give up a lot of big plays over the top (For the record Wright had his share, too).

    But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dixon & Minnifield wouldn't be Dixon & Minnifield with this group of pass rushers. We have got to get to the QB before anyone in our secondary becomes relevant.

    Remember in '02 when Anthony Henry and the rest of our defense went wild with turning over the opponent? Not coincidentally, we had Pro Bowler Jamir Miller in the offensive backfield on a regular basis.

    Translation: If you get to the QB, he will turn it over.

  • I think B-Mac goes to the nickel. No doubt Mangini & Co. watched the tapes and saw him give up a lot of big plays over the top (For the record Wright had his share, too).

    But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dixon & Minnifield wouldn't be Dixon & Minnifield with this group of pass rushers. We have got to get to the QB before anyone in our secondary becomes relevant.

    Remember in '02 when Anthony Henry and the rest of our defense went wild with turning over the opponent? Not coincidentally, we had Pro Bowler Jamir Miller in the offensive backfield on a regular basis.

    Translation: If you get to the QB, he will turn it over.

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    I think B-Mac goes to the nickel. No doubt Mangini & Co. watched the tapes and saw him give up a lot of big plays over the top (For the record Wright had his share, too).

    But I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dixon & Minnifield wouldn't be Dixon & Minnifield with this group of pass rushers. We have got to get to the QB before anyone in our secondary becomes relevant.

    Remember in '02 when Anthony Henry and the rest of our defense went wild with turning over the opponent? Not coincidentally, we had Pro Bowler Jamir Miller in the offensive backfield on a regular basis.

    Translation: If you get to the QB, he will turn it over.

    McDonald got a bit of a bad rap because of very bad play by our safties who in a lot of cases should have been providing coverage over the top. So before dissing McDonald, you have to take a hard look at the cover 2 we palyed a lot and realize Mcdonal was hung out to dry on many occasions. Jones got sucked up with play fakes too, too often and Pool plays a decent center field but is slow to react sometimes.

    If you think B-Mac got beat a lot last year then don't watch tapes of AZ and Hood.

  • Zombo said:

    Yeah I think Hood beats out McDonald and Ivey sticks as the fourth guy unless one of the rookies really shines.

    Zombo

    Exactly what will happen. McDonald is a shutdown corner in the making. Hood actually makes a much better nickelback than a starter.

  • Check out this thread I created on the Wright vs. Mcdonald issue:

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php...ic=1596&hl=

    There's some good varying opinions there. I do believe Mcdonald can be a shutdown corner if we get some pass rush going, he's got the speed, and he can jam really well for a guy his size, he even makes tackles in the backfield every so often. He's tough, plus he;s great in man and zone coverage, the only issue Ive seen with him is his ability to cover a flag, which in my opinion is the most difficult, especially in the nfl. All it takes is time to learn the characteristics of NFL recievers and detecting the routes.

  • Anyone know how long we signed him for?

    I love the signing. brings competition and quality across the board now.

  • What Mangini, Kokinis, et all have done is to dramatically improve our depth with proven pros. Granted, not "stars", but very viable players & functional backups. We won't have to sweat bullets now whenever there is an injury as there most certainly will be. This was another good signing along that same path. Count me as pleased.

    Mike

  • What Mangini, Kokinis, et all have done is to dramatically improve our depth with proven pros. Granted, not "stars", but very viable players & functional backups. We won't have to sweat bullets now whenever there is an injury as there most certainly will be. This was another good signing along that same path. Count me as pleased.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    What Mangini, Kokinis, et all have done is to dramatically improve our depth with proven pros. Granted, not "stars", but very viable players & functional backups. We won't have to sweat bullets now whenever there is an injury as there most certainly will be. This was another good signing along that same path. Count me as pleased.

    Mike

    exactly. look at the steelers: they probably don't have many if any hall of famers on that defense in the past 5 years and look what they do every year. if they can keep getting solid guys through free agency and the draft in the years to come, then we will be solid on d for years.

  • @danamal said:

    I was listening to Pat Kirwan on NFL radio on Sirius today and he made an interesting point about bringing in Hood.

    He said that while Hood was a great pickup the Browns would use him as a safety rather than mess with two very good young corners ,he said the thought process behind that is if you replace either corner and Hood leaves after one season you have pretty much ruined any relationship you had with that player.

    I know its the NFL and a player should be able to be professional but I can see his point and I found myself pretty much in agreement with his assesment of the deal.

    I like PK's take most of the time and what he is saying here makes a lot of sense. The one thing that pops to mind though is that when coaches (including Mangini, Ryan et al) look at DBs on tape, I think that it's painfully obvious when someone is not as good as they need to be. I don't mean to minimize the job of a DB but being on an island on the field also translates to film. CB and S are two positions where it's VERY hard to hide a lack of skill or instinct.

  • I'll say this about the Hood pickup and it being a one year deal.

    Brilliant.

    We needed another guy in the secondary for one having 4 games a season up against good qbs like Ben and Carson.

    And with it being a one season deal he's going to play his ass off for a big payday.

    We're getting minimum risk with maximum returns, even if he does walk after one season.

    And maybe by the time he leaves one of this season's 6th rounders will be able to come off of the practice squad and slip into that role if it's safety.

    If we've finaly got a good coaching staff to work with the 2nd day guys, the sky is the limit there.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Well, he's never played safety and we have Pool and Elam. I don't know. Sounds unlikely.

    I know he's never played safety Shep but Mangini says he sees these guys all interchangeable. He wants them to be able to line up anywhere causing matchup problems. So if you can play both positions the better the opportunity to get on the field.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Wright, Hood, and McDonald are a pretty clear top three now. Hood had five teams coming after him because the Cardinals cut shocked everybody, including Phoenix media and fans. He's a very legit cover guy in this league and only 27 years old.

    When you have youth and experience at the top three, you aren't likely to keep around more than one more veteran when you could be developing youngsters. I think Ivey and Poteat compete for one spot and Carey and Francies compete for the other.

    But I won't be stunned now if Carey and Francies both make it.

    I think either Hood or McDonald can cover the slot, but Adams is a good nickel, too. We have six guys (Pool, Elam, Adams, Wright, McDonald, and Hood) who will eat up all the playing time.

    Hood led the team giving up 9 TDs last year and was replaced by the signing of McFadden. It's a nice pickup but I don't see him walking in as a starter. Again, McDonald hasn't shown he can play in the slot and Adams is a backup option. Neither him or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was. So, I'm hoping Hood can play inside and cover a slot receiver. If not, Ivey may be the best answer. He has experience with covering the slot receiver. He is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Again, McDonald hasn't shown he can play in the slot and Adams is a backup option. Neither him or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was. So, I'm hoping Hood can play inside and cover a slot receiver. If not, Ivey may be the best answer. He has experience with covering the slot receiver. He is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.

    McDonald filled in playing the slot for the Browns in '07. he moved outside and Holly moved in because Bmac was better than Holly at covering elite receivers, not because he couldn't play the slot.

    Neither him [Adams] or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was.
    Adams was busy filling in at starting safety for the injured Sean Jones and Pool was starting at safety as well, exactly when did you want them to relieve Cousins? when Jones came back? which was when Adams did take over the nickle from Cousins. i watched Adams closely, he sure didn't play like a back-up far as i could tell. he made it into the backfield more than Jones ever did, but i digress, that's another topic.

    Pool and Elam candidates for the nickle? to the best of my knowledge Pool played the slot only once as a pro, '06 was it?, against the Falcons while he was still cutting his teeth as a safety. granted it worked well, he shadowed Alge Crumpler and made him essentially a non-factor in that game, but that was his only assignment all game. aside from this showing, why do you feel he's such a candidate for the nickle position? especially a guy you are aware can't take another blow to the head.....covering tight ends and run support is the last place he should be IMO.

    i'm very curious who's playing safety then? since you're so down on Adams it surely can't be him. so who's left? Poteat? Cribbs? i really don't see it any other way than Elam and Pool. who am i missing?

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Again, McDonald hasn't shown he can play in the slot and Adams is a backup option. Neither him or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was. So, I'm hoping Hood can play inside and cover a slot receiver. If not, Ivey may be the best answer. He has experience with covering the slot receiver. He is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.

    McDonald filled in playing the slot for the Browns in '07. he moved outside and Holly moved in because Bmac was better than Holly at covering elite receivers, not because he couldn't play the slot.

    Neither him [Adams] or Pool could beat out cousins last year and we all know how bad Cousins was.
    Adams was busy filling in at starting safety for the injured Sean Jones and Pool was starting at safety as well, exactly when did you want them to relieve Cousins? when Jones came back? which was when Adams did take over the nickle from Cousins. i watched Adams closely, he sure didn't play like a back-up far as i could tell. he made it into the backfield more than Jones ever did, but i digress, that's another topic.

    Pool and Elam candidates for the nickle? to the best of my knowledge Pool played the slot only once as a pro, '06 was it?, against the Falcons while he was still cutting his teeth as a safety. granted it worked well, he shadowed Alge Crumpler and made him essentially a non-factor in that game, but that was his only assignment all game. aside from this showing, why do you feel he's such a candidate for the nickle position? especially a guy you are aware can't take another blow to the head.....covering tight ends and run support is the last place he should be IMO.

    i'm very curious who's playing safety then? since you're so down on Adams it surely can't be him. so who's left? Poteat? Cribbs? i really don't see it any other way than Elam and Pool. who am i missing?

    @sisky-fringo said:

    McDonald filled in playing the slot for the Browns in '07. he moved outside and Holly moved in because Bmac was better than Holly at covering elite receivers, not because he couldn't play the slot.

    Adams was busy filling in at starting safety for the injured Sean Jones and Pool was starting at safety as well, exactly when did you want them to relieve Cousins? when Jones came back? which was when Adams did take over the nickle from Cousins. i watched Adams closely, he sure didn't play like a back-up far as i could tell. he made it into the backfield more than Jones ever did, but i digress, that's another topic.

    Pool and Elam candidates for the nickle? to the best of my knowledge Pool played the slot only once as a pro, '06 was it?, against the Falcons while he was still cutting his teeth as a safety. granted it worked well, he shadowed Alge Crumpler and made him essentially a non-factor in that game, but that was his only assignment all game. aside from this showing, why do you feel he's such a candidate for the nickle position? especially a guy you are aware can't take another blow to the head.....covering tight ends and run support is the last place he should be IMO.

    i'm very curious who's playing safety then? since you're so down on Adams it surely can't be him. so who's left? Poteat? Cribbs? i really don't see it any other way than Elam and Pool. who am i missing?

    MY take is that there will be an open competition at CB. Hood has experience inside covering slot receivers and Ivey also has a lot of experience on the inside. I don't see any of the safties out playing the corners to play against a slot receiver in the nickle. I could see Adams playing some in a cover 3 scheme, but I think Poole and Elam will have to do something to loose their jobs for Adams to get real playing time at safety or even in speciality packages. Now, Pool has a history of concussions and also the NFL is a game of injuries, Adams provides great depth because he can play either safety position and is very good as a special teamer. I don't think they went out on two different occasions to get Elam if they thought Adams was the answer at safety. I also see Cribbs getting some time at safety in some speciality packages.

    I'm not down on Adams at all, but I do think Pool and Elam are better and will start barring some injury or other problem. But, you never know when the pads go on Adams might inpress the staff and push Pool for some time, but don't expect to see him covering a slot receiver in a nickle situation, unless that slot guy is a TE.

  • @sisky-fringo said:

    McDonald filled in playing the slot for the Browns in '07. he moved outside and Holly moved in because Bmac was better than Holly at covering elite receivers, not because he couldn't play the slot.

    Adams was busy filling in at starting safety for the injured Sean Jones and Pool was starting at safety as well, exactly when did you want them to relieve Cousins? when Jones came back? which was when Adams did take over the nickle from Cousins. i watched Adams closely, he sure didn't play like a back-up far as i could tell. he made it into the backfield more than Jones ever did, but i digress, that's another topic.

    Pool and Elam candidates for the nickle? to the best of my knowledge Pool played the slot only once as a pro, '06 was it?, against the Falcons while he was still cutting his teeth as a safety. granted it worked well, he shadowed Alge Crumpler and made him essentially a non-factor in that game, but that was his only assignment all game. aside from this showing, why do you feel he's such a candidate for the nickle position? especially a guy you are aware can't take another blow to the head.....covering tight ends and run support is the last place he should be IMO.

    i'm very curious who's playing safety then? since you're so down on Adams it surely can't be him. so who's left? Poteat? Cribbs? i really don't see it any other way than Elam and Pool. who am i missing?

    MY take is that there will be an open competition at CB. Hood has experience inside covering slot receivers and Ivey also has a lot of experience on the inside. I don't see any of the safties out playing the corners to play against a slot receiver in the nickle. I could see Adams playing some in a cover 3 scheme, but I think Poole and Elam will have to do something to loose their jobs for Adams to get real playing time at safety or even in speciality packages. Now, Pool has a history of concussions and also the NFL is a game of injuries, Adams provides great depth because he can play either safety position and is very good as a special teamer. I don't think they went out on two different occasions to get Elam if they thought Adams was the answer at safety. I also see Cribbs getting some time at safety in some speciality packages.

    I'm not down on Adams at all, but I do think Pool and Elam are better and will start barring some injury or other problem. But, you never know when the pads go on Adams might inpress the staff and push Pool for some time, but don't expect to see him covering a slot receiver in a nickle situation, unless that slot guy is a TE.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    MY take is that there will be an open competition at CB. Hood has experience inside covering slot receivers and Ivey also has a lot of experience on the inside. I don't see any of the safties out playing the corners to play against a slot receiver in the nickle. I could see Adams playing some in a cover 3 scheme, but I think Poole and Elam will have to do something to loose their jobs for Adams to get real playing time at safety or even in speciality packages. Now, Pool has a history of concussions and also the NFL is a game of injuries, Adams provides great depth because he can play either safety position and is very good as a special teamer. I don't think they went out on two different occasions to get Elam if they thought Adams was the answer at safety. I also see Cribbs getting some time at safety in some speciality packages.

    I'm not down on Adams at all, but I do think Pool and Elam are better and will start barring some injury or other problem. But, you never know when the pads go on Adams might inpress the staff and push Pool for some time, but don't expect to see him covering a slot receiver in a nickle situation, unless that slot guy is a TE.

    He (Ivy) is certainly a better option then Adams who may be involved in a cover three, but not in the nickle as long as Pool and Elam are both healthy.
    this is where i got confused. apparently i misunderstood you because i thought you were saying Pool and Elam would be candidates for the nickle position before Adams would (and they probably would be) but if that were the case i was wondering who you would put at safety. it looks like we are in agreement once again. but who knows.....every game might be set up for mangini mismatches with sub-packages galore utilizing a ton of DB's different ways that are currently undefinable. having guys who understand football across the board out there can only help them--imagine the possibilities. 😆 in the past i recall you not thinking as much of Adams and see that you've come around some on your opinion of him. he seems good people too, although a bit ornery. gotta love corny black dudes.