Skip to content

Camp Benkert

The Browns Board
40 11 1.5k
  • Bowl Game 12\28, 1:30pm, ESPN against Navy.  🙂  400 yards and 6 TDs. 

  • Already started a write up on my Benkert vs Rosen.  Won't finish it until after the bowl season. it'll be my most extensive.

    I've started watching all throws from week 1 forward for the both of them.  Picked that task up last week.   

    There's a reason I'm digging this thread up and re-affirming my position in said 'camp'.

    lol... Navy won't give UVA the ball enough to post those kind of numbers... but I do like UVA in the game.

    @tiamat63 said:

    There's a reason I'm digging this thread up and re-affirming my position in said 'camp'.

    Love a good foreshadowing...

  • Benkert looks impressive. Not sure he's as good as rosen but he might be better than darnold in the pocket. The one thing i dont like is that whole game was nothing but shotgun. Rosen looks completely comfortable under center so a team that never lets their qb under center like VA did in that miami game......concerns me. 

    This is rosen vs usc. He's a bit more poised in the pocket than benkert and his downfield touch is a little bit better.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Benkert looks impressive. Not sure he's as good as rosen but he might be better than darnold in the pocket. The one thing i dont like is that whole game was nothing but shotgun. Rosen looks completely comfortable under center so a team that never lets their qb under center like VA did in that miami game......concerns me. 

    This is rosen vs usc. He's a bit more poised in the pocket than benkert and his downfield touch is a little bit better.

    Footwork and decisive throws are most important in the shotgun. Sure I'd like to see some under center work but I'm not panicked about it.   Especially when you have to take your eyes off the defense to catch the snap.  Thus less time seeing what they're doing.  So if you can work from the gun and still deliver the goods, I'm going to take notice of that.   

  • lol... Navy won't give UVA the ball enough to post those kind of numbers... but I do like UVA in the game.

    @tiamat63 said:

    There's a reason I'm digging this thread up and re-affirming my position in said 'camp'.

    Love a good foreshadowing...

    @tour2ma said:

    Love a good foreshadowing...

    Oh I'm going to shadow this fore all over the place post bowl season.                       

  • After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

  • After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    @hoorta said:

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    Yeah, Huey will help him with that!

  • @hoorta said:

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    Yeah, Huey will help him with that!

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yeah, Huey will help him with that!

    That's if Hue doesn't get fired or die from hypothermia when he jumps in the lake first.  (Current Lake Erie water temperature near Cleveland 36 degrees.) 

  • Benkert had a dismal game. So did Drew Lock for Missouri - he did make one outstanding throw downfield, big time.

    But Missouri was just run over on both sides of the ball.

    Maybe Thorson of Northwestern will have a great game....

  • After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    @hoorta said:

    After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

    More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

  • @hoorta said:

    After the Bowl Game today Tour- I predict Camp Benkert is going to get mighty lonely. Sheeze, that was Navy they were playing, not Georgia. When his receivers weren't dropping more passes than I could count,  (no fault of his)- Kurt was terribly inaccurate, and it sure didn't look like he was driving the ball on those deep routes. Rainbow arc specials that would be easy interception targets in the pros. 

    Maybe just a bad game. Heard he accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. 

    Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

    More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

    @the-gipper said:

    Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

    More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

    Yes Navy truly torpedoed the Cavaliers. I was hoping for a better showing by Virginia. In a word, Benkert really sucked. But it's gotten to the point there's so many bowl games now, way too many of them are meaningless, even for alumni. Both Navy and Virginia were 6-6 on the year, so here's your "Participation Award" for having a mediocre season. It may devolve to the point a future Missouri Mud Bowl will be forced to "award" a team with a losing record a bowl berth.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Didn't Navy win like 44-7 or something?

    More evidence of the meaninglessness of most Bowl games.

    Yes Navy truly torpedoed the Cavaliers. I was hoping for a better showing by Virginia. In a word, Benkert really sucked. But it's gotten to the point there's so many bowl games now, way too many of them are meaningless, even for alumni. Both Navy and Virginia were 6-6 on the year, so here's your "Participation Award" for having a mediocre season. It may devolve to the point a future Missouri Mud Bowl will be forced to "award" a team with a losing record a bowl berth.

    @hoorta said:

    Yes Navy truly torpedoed the Cavaliers. I was hoping for a better showing by Virginia. In a word, Benkert really sucked. But it's gotten to the point there's so many bowl games now, way too many of them are meaningless, even for alumni. Both Navy and Virginia were 6-6 on the year, so here's your "Participation Award" for having a mediocre season. It may devolve to the point a future Missouri Mud Bowl will be forced to "award" a team with a losing record a bowl berth.

    See the discussion on the College Football Board about FSU.  They were 6-6....but one of their wins was vs. an FCS school....which in theory should not counted toward their win total.   But they gave them the bowl anyway.

  • Just saw the box score, haven't had a chance to watch anything else.

    Looks like a kick straight to the finger but I tend to not elevate or destroy a player based on one game.       That said... it was not a good game.  

  • Just saw the box score, haven't had a chance to watch anything else.

    Looks like a kick straight to the finger but I tend to not elevate or destroy a player based on one game.       That said... it was not a good game.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Just saw the box score, haven't had a chance to watch anything else.

    Looks like a kick straight to the finger but I tend to not elevate or destroy a player based on one game.       That said... it was not a good game.  

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Just saw the box score, haven't had a chance to watch anything else.

    Looks like a kick straight to the finger but I tend to not elevate or destroy a player based on one game.       That said... it was not a good game.  

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

    @hoorta said:

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

  • @hoorta said:

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    @the-gipper said:

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    Leak.  It was Leak at QB.  Well, for the first half at least.  Couldn't tell you what happened during the 2nd and too date I refuse to watch any video or clips of that game. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    Leak.  It was Leak at QB.  Well, for the first half at least.  Couldn't tell you what happened during the 2nd and too date I refuse to watch any video or clips of that game. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Leak.  It was Leak at QB.  Well, for the first half at least.  Couldn't tell you what happened during the 2nd and too date I refuse to watch any video or clips of that game. 

    Right.  Leak for a while anyway.

  • @hoorta said:

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    @the-gipper said:

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    It's taken me exactly 2 series watching Darnold- it's official. Kizer's accuracy sucks swamp water. 

    BTW the suck swamp water predates you using it Gip. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I see you have started taking up the idiom I created of "sucking swamp water".   Nice!

    I coined that in a conversation with Russ (Ballpeen) about his  Gators. The actual quote was "The Gators suck swamp water!  No, really, that is how they hydrate.".

    But that was when the Gators beat the Buckeyes with Tebow at QB.

    How many "Tebows" are we going to have in this draft?  Highly overrated...overdrafted....not NFL caliber QBs?

    Leak.  It was Leak at QB.  Well, for the first half at least.  Couldn't tell you what happened during the 2nd and too date I refuse to watch any video or clips of that game. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Leak.  It was Leak at QB.  Well, for the first half at least.  Couldn't tell you what happened during the 2nd and too date I refuse to watch any video or clips of that game. 

    The hurt from that game lasted a long, long time.

    Man I loved that '06 team.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Just saw the box score, haven't had a chance to watch anything else.

    Looks like a kick straight to the finger but I tend to not elevate or destroy a player based on one game.       That said... it was not a good game.  

    Regarding Virginia\Benkert- it was truly a team suckage effort against Navy. When his receivers weren't dropping passes that hit them in the hands, Kurt was throwing the ball 10 yards over their heads. 

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    BTW Virginia's one score came on the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was all downhill from there....   

    @hoorta said:

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    Took a few peek in’s on Kurt today..Seriously, How many passing plays does Army or Navy even practice during the week? Their WR’s,CB’s and Safety’s, either have small hidden islands named after them OR some Forrest Gump’s truly love running for no particular reason????‍♂️

  • @hoorta said:

    The Cavaliers defense helped in the debacle sucking swamp water, allowing 452 yards of offense by the Midshipmen. If you watched any of the Army-Navy game, you knew Navy was going to run a lot- and Virginia was powerless to stop them. Unbelievably- Navy tried one pass the entire game- for an incompletion, as opposed to 76 running plays. 

    Took a few peek in’s on Kurt today..Seriously, How many passing plays does Army or Navy even practice during the week? Their WR’s,CB’s and Safety’s, either have small hidden islands named after them OR some Forrest Gump’s truly love running for no particular reason????‍♂️

    @gumby73 said:

    Took a few peek in’s on Kurt today..Seriously, How many passing plays does Army or Navy even practice during the week? Their WR’s,CB’s and Safety’s, either have small hidden islands named after them OR some Forrest Gump’s truly love running for no particular reason????‍♂️

    The problem is the triple option is such a rare offense that it is almost impossible to practice against. You can't just have the scout team mimic it, it is an offense unlike most have ever played in.

    The youth football program I coached with ran the Wing T offense, which is kind of like the triple option in that it relies on tons of fakes, counters, and pulling offensive linemen. The first time I saw it up close I positioned myself with the defense, back with the safeties. Half the time I'd be so faked out that I'd be following the wrong back or QB 10 yards downfield.