Skip to content

***Official Browns @ Bengals Game Day Thread***

The Browns Board
231 43 5.5k
  • I never posted an official prediction score, but what I told my friends is we'd lose 27-13.  Even though we eventually lost by two touchdowns, the game was much closer than I predicted.  I didn't believe we'd be able to move the ball, and our lone touchdown would come as a result of garbage time.  I could not have been more wrong.  We moved the ball consistently pretty much all game, both on ground and through the air.  The only reason we lost was because of our red zone inadequacies.  Yeah, we can point to the defense and how they gave up a ton of rushing yards, or how we dropped potentially game-changing interceptions, and questionable penalties...but we lost because we can't score touchdowns.  It's been this way all year. 

    I believe we had four red zone trips, and we didn't score a touchdown until our last visit, on 4th down.  It was actually a wonderful playcall, and it was well-executed by Kizer and the OL.  In fact, it's a call I've been BEGGING for all season....mainly because it always seems to work against US.  Anyways, we don't score touchdowns in the red zone, and worst of all, we GIVE UP touchdowns to the opposition at a clip of almost 80%.  I don't know what the worst defensive percentage is during the last 15 years, but I'm guessing 80% HAS to be in the top ten.  Even our defense last year, the one that couldn't stop ANYONE on the ground, "only" gave up TD's at 67%.  That number was terrible enough...but 80?!

    Anyways, my biggest issue with our first 3 trips to the red zone was that we weren't even that CLOSE to scoring a touchdown.  Can you guys think of a play that "almost" scored?  Even the unfathomable drop by Corey Coleman doesn't count because it was thrown outside of the red zone.  I can't think of ANY plays we ran on our first 3 red zone trips that really could've scored.   And I get it, I really do.  We're being BEYOND careful with Kizer due to his plentiful red zone turnovers this season.  But here's the thing...we need TOUCHDOWNS.  We can't just run that Crowell off-tackle play on 1st and goal EVERY TIME and hope to all heck that he's going to get in.  More often than not, it goes nowhere, and sometimes it even goes BACKWARDS.  The rule of thumb I always heard was that play-action is best used on 1st and 3rd down when close to scoring.  Every week I watch the YouTube video of "All Touchdowns Scored", and every week I see a boatload of relatively easy TD's scored by so many different teams.  Many on play-action to a guy open in the end zone.  Others are passes to the corner, or "dig routes" to the outside while moving the pocket, or well-executed WR screens, TE middle "shovel passes", or lord knows what else.  How do we not HAVE THOSE TYPE OF PLAYS?!

    Yeah, our defense really sucked.  I counted three interceptions we could've had, and we didn't make ANY of them.  Now, none were what I call "easy plays", but they are the type of plays we HAVE to make in order to win games.  Sometimes we have to be spectacular.  Sometimes we have to make "that play" that results in an amazing defensive touchdown.  Boddy-Calhoun had two opportunities...two.  Until somebody makes those plays, we won't win.  I see them made all of the time, every week.  Just not usually by us.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Anyways, my biggest issue with our first 3 trips to the red zone was that we weren't even that CLOSE to scoring a touchdown.  Can you guys think of a play that "almost" scored?  Even the unfathomable drop by Corey Coleman doesn't count because it was thrown outside of the red zone.  I can't think of ANY plays we ran on our first 3 red zone trips that really could've scored.   And I get it, I really do.  We're being BEYOND careful with Kizer due to his plentiful red zone turnovers this season.  But here's the thing...we need TOUCHDOWNS.  We can't just run that Crowell off-tackle play on 1st and goal EVERY TIME and hope to all heck that he's going to get in.  More often than not, it goes nowhere, and sometimes it even goes BACKWARDS.  The rule of thumb I always heard was that play-action is best used on 1st and 3rd down when close to scoring.  Every week I watch the YouTube video of "All Touchdowns Scored", and every week I see a boatload of relatively easy TD's scored by so many different teams.  Many on play-action to a guy open in the end zone.  Others are passes to the corner, or "dig routes" to the outside while moving the pocket, or well-executed WR screens, TE middle "shovel passes", or lord knows what else.  How do we not HAVE THOSE TYPE OF PLAYS?!

    I hear ya big time. We don't ever try the play-action fake and a flip to the tight end under the goal posts, EVER. Probably not since Testaverde.

    Part of it now is I don't think Kizer is very good at carrying out a play fake. Certainly, this is teachable, so TEACH!!

  • This team Shmucking blows.. They don't know how to use the players they got!

    THROW LOBS TO NJOKU! HE'S Shmucking HUGE! STOP THE BS HUE AND GET A CLUE YA BUM!!!!

  • Shmuck we should have had Wentz Shmuckkkk!

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Anyways, my biggest issue with our first 3 trips to the red zone was that we weren't even that CLOSE to scoring a touchdown.  Can you guys think of a play that "almost" scored?  Even the unfathomable drop by Corey Coleman doesn't count because it was thrown outside of the red zone.  I can't think of ANY plays we ran on our first 3 red zone trips that really could've scored.   And I get it, I really do.  We're being BEYOND careful with Kizer due to his plentiful red zone turnovers this season.  But here's the thing...we need TOUCHDOWNS.  We can't just run that Crowell off-tackle play on 1st and goal EVERY TIME and hope to all heck that he's going to get in.  More often than not, it goes nowhere, and sometimes it even goes BACKWARDS.  The rule of thumb I always heard was that play-action is best used on 1st and 3rd down when close to scoring.  Every week I watch the YouTube video of "All Touchdowns Scored", and every week I see a boatload of relatively easy TD's scored by so many different teams.  Many on play-action to a guy open in the end zone.  Others are passes to the corner, or "dig routes" to the outside while moving the pocket, or well-executed WR screens, TE middle "shovel passes", or lord knows what else.  How do we not HAVE THOSE TYPE OF PLAYS?!

    I hear ya big time. We don't ever try the play-action fake and a flip to the tight end under the goal posts, EVER. Probably not since Testaverde.

    Part of it now is I don't think Kizer is very good at carrying out a play fake. Certainly, this is teachable, so TEACH!!

    @bob806 said:

    I hear ya big time. We don't ever try the play-action fake and a flip to the tight end under the goal posts, EVER. Probably not since Testaverde.

    Part of it now is I don't think Kizer is very good at carrying out a play fake. Certainly, this is teachable, so TEACH!!

    Well, the anouncers said it during the game, that play action we tried with a seam route from the slot never looked like a run play. But that's not on Kizer. I watched in the replay that the line doesn't push forward, neither the running back hammers like a ram, so they actually saw the pass coming and broke it.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I'm all for Kosar as our GM. Let him find a young hungry talented coach.

    i get this aweful feeling that Haslem would prefer Manning over Kosar at this point..🙁 agree with you though. The wife ordered Kosar's book for Xmas..should be a good read

    @gumby73 said:

    i get this aweful feeling that Haslem would prefer Manning over Kosar at this point..🙁 agree with you though. The wife ordered Kosar's book for Xmas..should be a good read

    There is a simple reason for that having nothing to do with the personal capabilities of the individuals involved:   Jimmy is from Knoxville and is a big U.Tenn fan..   And Peyton played there.

    That is all. 

    Not that Peyton could not be capable....who knows.  But that connection is the be all and end all of the equation to bring Peyton here if it were to happen.

    But...Jesus....Tennessee has its own issues. Fires a bad coach....then hires Schiano...and then reneges on that.

    It kinda sounds like anything Jimmy H. has his fingers in turns to shite.

  • Notable absences from the complaints this week...

    • We can't run the ball/abandon the run (169 yds; 5.5 ypc)
    • Britt... (gorgeous catch and run)
    • Peppers this or that... (best game)
    • Stupid Kizer throws... (no INTs)

    I'm sure I'm overlooking a few oldies...

  • Notable absences from the complaints this week...

    • We can't run the ball/abandon the run (169 yds; 5.5 ypc)
    • Britt... (gorgeous catch and run)
    • Peppers this or that... (best game)
    • Stupid Kizer throws... (no INTs)

    I'm sure I'm overlooking a few oldies...

    @tour2ma said:

    Notable absences from the complaints this week...

    • We can't run the ball/abandon the run (169 yds; 5.5 ypc)
    • Britt... (gorgeous catch and run)
    • Peppers this or that... (best game)
    • Stupid Kizer throws... (no INTs)

    I'm sure I'm overlooking a few oldies...

    As I said about this team:  they will do whatever it takes to lose.    

    If it takes being unable to run the ball....they do that.

    If it takes Britt failing to perform....they do that

    If it takes Pepper to play poorly....that will happen

    If it takes Kizer throwing interceptions...he will do that.

    If it takes anything else:  poor tackling, penalties, poor defense, poor blocking...it will happen.

    Something good MAY happen for this team in every game  (last week they stopped all the stupid penalties)...but those things won't be enough. Something else will crop up that causes the Browns to be fuyuckyuckyucked.  

    They will do whatever it takes to lose.....and sometimes be very creative at it.

  • @mld-woody said:

    You should have been in the tavern chat. Apparently he was "celebrating". I was trying to explain he wasn't but anything I say about Peppers doesn't count apparently. 

    I would like to see Peppers clapping more after he tackles rivals after a 15 yard gain. I also would like to see Kizer clapping after making a INT, Gonzalez after missing a FG and even Coleman after dropping a TD. 

    @nero said:

    I would like to see Peppers clapping more after he tackles rivals after a 15 yard gain. I also would like to see Kizer clapping after making a INT, Gonzalez after missing a FG and even Coleman after dropping a TD. 

    You don’t know football. In America we talk trash. 

  • @nero said:

    I would like to see Peppers clapping more after he tackles rivals after a 15 yard gain. I also would like to see Kizer clapping after making a INT, Gonzalez after missing a FG and even Coleman after dropping a TD. 

    You don’t know football. In America we talk trash. 

    @wargograw said:

    You don’t know football. In America we talk trash. 

    I hope you understood that I was being ironic. American sports aren't the only ones where trash talk gets in place. 

  • @wargograw said:

    You don’t know football. In America we talk trash. 

    I hope you understood that I was being ironic. American sports aren't the only ones where trash talk gets in place. 

    @nero said:

    I hope you understood that I was being ironic. American sports aren't the only ones where trash talk gets in place. 

    No...but we have the most atom bombs.....so just shut the fuhuck up and agree with us or we will bomb you back to the stone age.

    😛😆😮

  • @nero said:

    I hope you understood that I was being ironic. American sports aren't the only ones where trash talk gets in place. 

    No...but we have the most atom bombs.....so just shut the fuhuck up and agree with us or we will bomb you back to the stone age.

    😛😆😮

    @the-gipper said:

    No...but we have the most atom bombs.....so just shut the fuhuck up and agree with us or we will bomb you back to the stone age.

    😛😆😮

    I'm member of the NATO! I'm member of the NATO!

  • @the-gipper said:

    No...but we have the most atom bombs.....so just shut the fuhuck up and agree with us or we will bomb you back to the stone age.

    😛😆😮

    I'm member of the NATO! I'm member of the NATO!

    @nero said:

    I'm member of the NATO! I'm member of the NATO!

    Remember The Maine!!

  • Notable absences from the complaints this week...

    • We can't run the ball/abandon the run (169 yds; 5.5 ypc)
    • Britt... (gorgeous catch and run)
    • Peppers this or that... (best game)
    • Stupid Kizer throws... (no INTs)

    I'm sure I'm overlooking a few oldies...

    @tour2ma said:

    Notable absences from the complaints this week...

    • We can't run the ball/abandon the run (169 yds; 5.5 ypc)
    • Britt... (gorgeous catch and run)
    • Peppers this or that... (best game)
    • Stupid Kizer throws... (no INTs)

    I'm sure I'm overlooking a few oldies...

    you're forgetting the complaints about the kicking game.  zane hasn't shown any improvement this season, the Browns can't afford to leave any points off the board so not sure why they went with a kicker who isn't automatic with anything shorter than 40 yards.  very frustrating to march down the field and come up empty-handed.

  • @nero said:

    I'm member of the NATO! I'm member of the NATO!

    Remember The Maine!!

    @the-gipper said:

    Remember The Maine!!

    Omg. What's your story on the Maine? 

    Please, tell me. I'm dead curious.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Remember The Maine!!

    Omg. What's your story on the Maine? 

    Please, tell me. I'm dead curious.

    @nero said:

    Omg. What's your story on the Maine? 

    Please, tell me. I'm dead curious.

    Do you really not know the story of the Maine?  It was bombed in Havana harbor.  1898 I believe.  That started the Spanish American War...or at least it was the pretense used to start that war.  Spain was alleged to have committed the deed.  Of course, that is questionable. What wasn't questionable was that there was a war...that America won decisively over Spain.  Spain lost all Western Hemisphere colonies (only Cuba and Puerto Rico were left), plus the Phillipines and Guam.  Cuba became independent. The Phillipines later became independent (but not until after WWII I believe)...but the US still owns Puerto Rico and Guam....both of which were in the news lately.  PR because of the devastating hurricanes that ripped through there, and Guam because it was the object of some silliness perpetrated by that little troll that runs N. Korea.

    http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/sinking-maine

  • @nero said:

    Omg. What's your story on the Maine? 

    Please, tell me. I'm dead curious.

    Do you really not know the story of the Maine?  It was bombed in Havana harbor.  1898 I believe.  That started the Spanish American War...or at least it was the pretense used to start that war.  Spain was alleged to have committed the deed.  Of course, that is questionable. What wasn't questionable was that there was a war...that America won decisively over Spain.  Spain lost all Western Hemisphere colonies (only Cuba and Puerto Rico were left), plus the Phillipines and Guam.  Cuba became independent. The Phillipines later became independent (but not until after WWII I believe)...but the US still owns Puerto Rico and Guam....both of which were in the news lately.  PR because of the devastating hurricanes that ripped through there, and Guam because it was the object of some silliness perpetrated by that little troll that runs N. Korea.

    http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/sinking-maine

    @the-gipper said:

    Do you really not know the story of the Maine?  It was bombed in Havana harbor.  1898 I believe.  That started the Spanish American War...or at least it was the pretense used to start that war.  Spain was alleged to have committed the deed.  Of course, that is questionable. What wasn't questionable was that there was a war...that America won decisively over Spain.  Spain lost all Western Hemisphere colonies (only Cuba and Puerto Rico were left), plus the Phillipines and Guam.  Cuba became independent. The Phillipines later became independent (but not until after WWII I believe)...but the US still owns Puerto Rico and Guam....both of which were in the news lately.  PR because of the devastating hurricanes that ripped through there, and Guam because it was the object of some silliness perpetrated by that little troll that runs N. Korea.

    http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/sinking-maine

    I know what happened with the Maine.

    I wanted to know what do you think that really happened to the ship.

    EDIT: to be more specific. Who commited the deed?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Do you really not know the story of the Maine?  It was bombed in Havana harbor.  1898 I believe.  That started the Spanish American War...or at least it was the pretense used to start that war.  Spain was alleged to have committed the deed.  Of course, that is questionable. What wasn't questionable was that there was a war...that America won decisively over Spain.  Spain lost all Western Hemisphere colonies (only Cuba and Puerto Rico were left), plus the Phillipines and Guam.  Cuba became independent. The Phillipines later became independent (but not until after WWII I believe)...but the US still owns Puerto Rico and Guam....both of which were in the news lately.  PR because of the devastating hurricanes that ripped through there, and Guam because it was the object of some silliness perpetrated by that little troll that runs N. Korea.

    http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/sinking-maine

    I know what happened with the Maine.

    I wanted to know what do you think that really happened to the ship.

    EDIT: to be more specific. Who commited the deed?

    @nero said:

    I know what happened with the Maine.

    I wanted to know what do you think that really happened to the ship.

    I have no clue, really.  It is kind of irrelevent what actually happened.  It is only relevent as to what the consequences of the allegations were.

    Hey....at least you only got away with losing some colonies.  The previous nation wherein we were asked, more or less, to Remember something resulted in the US getting Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, some of Colorado.

    So....would you like to cede those troublesome Catalonians to the US now?   I hear Barcelona is a pretty nice city.  If the US annexes that area maybe we can get an NFL team situated there?

    😎

  • @nero said:

    I know what happened with the Maine.

    I wanted to know what do you think that really happened to the ship.

    I have no clue, really.  It is kind of irrelevent what actually happened.  It is only relevent as to what the consequences of the allegations were.

    Hey....at least you only got away with losing some colonies.  The previous nation wherein we were asked, more or less, to Remember something resulted in the US getting Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, some of Colorado.

    So....would you like to cede those troublesome Catalonians to the US now?   I hear Barcelona is a pretty nice city.  If the US annexes that area maybe we can get an NFL team situated there?

    😎

    @the-gipper said:

    I have no clue, really.  It is kind of irrelevent what actually happened.  It is only relevent as to what the consequences of the allegations were.

    Hey....at least you only got away with losing some colonies.  The previous nation wherein we were asked, more or less, to Remember something resulted in the US getting Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, some of Colorado.

    So....would you like to cede those troublesome Catalonians to the US now?   I hear Barcelona is a pretty nice city.  If the US annexes that area maybe we can get an NFL team situated there?

    😎

    Well. It's relevant. 

    One of the first international wars by the States was held probably for the wrong reasons. Many think it was either a false flag attack or an accident. Either way, it was a silly move to blame Spain about the sinking of an obsolete ship that entered cuban sea area with no permission nor warning (something that it's not normal even nowadays)

    A clever move to add power to the States. I'm not offended because it's in the past and Spain was already in a huge decadency, but the use of diplomacy and the media by american statesmen on that matter set an uncomfortable precedent.

    And the Catalonian problem... Better not to talk about it.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I have no clue, really.  It is kind of irrelevent what actually happened.  It is only relevent as to what the consequences of the allegations were.

    Hey....at least you only got away with losing some colonies.  The previous nation wherein we were asked, more or less, to Remember something resulted in the US getting Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, some of Colorado.

    So....would you like to cede those troublesome Catalonians to the US now?   I hear Barcelona is a pretty nice city.  If the US annexes that area maybe we can get an NFL team situated there?

    😎

    Well. It's relevant. 

    One of the first international wars by the States was held probably for the wrong reasons. Many think it was either a false flag attack or an accident. Either way, it was a silly move to blame Spain about the sinking of an obsolete ship that entered cuban sea area with no permission nor warning (something that it's not normal even nowadays)

    A clever move to add power to the States. I'm not offended because it's in the past and Spain was already in a huge decadency, but the use of diplomacy and the media by american statesmen on that matter set an uncomfortable precedent.

    And the Catalonian problem... Better not to talk about it.

    @nero said:

    Well. It's relevant. 

    One of the first international wars by the States was held probably for the wrong reasons. Many think it was either a false flag attack or an accident. Either way, it was a silly move to blame Spain about the sinking of an obsolete ship that entered cuban sea area with no permission nor warning (something that it's not normal even nowadays)

    A clever move to add power to the States. I'm not offended because it's in the past and Spain was already in a huge decadency, but the use of diplomacy and the media by american statesmen on that matter set an uncomfortable precedent.

    And the Catalonian problem... Better not to talk about it.

    Its not relevent to the here and now.  Maybe if you were alive in 1898 it was.

    Or...if you would like to make it relevent now....we can cede Puerto Rico..which we got in that war back to Spain.  Then we can let Spain have the financial obligation of the recovery of the terrible hurricane that hit there. And you can then address the issue of Puerto Rican Independence.   Or, we can give you Guam back.....and we can cede the responsibility of protecting the Pacific Rim to Spain. Let Kook Jung Il aim his supposed nukes your way. 

    Besides despite it not being certain, there was evidence that Spain may indeed have been responsible. But there is no need to relitigate that issue now...is there?

    And as far as the use of diplomacy and the media being used by American Statesmen....we have Donald Trump as POTUS.  How uncomfortable do you think that is for us and the rest of the world? Just be grateful that he is not yours. 

  • @nero said:

    Well. It's relevant. 

    One of the first international wars by the States was held probably for the wrong reasons. Many think it was either a false flag attack or an accident. Either way, it was a silly move to blame Spain about the sinking of an obsolete ship that entered cuban sea area with no permission nor warning (something that it's not normal even nowadays)

    A clever move to add power to the States. I'm not offended because it's in the past and Spain was already in a huge decadency, but the use of diplomacy and the media by american statesmen on that matter set an uncomfortable precedent.

    And the Catalonian problem... Better not to talk about it.

    Its not relevent to the here and now.  Maybe if you were alive in 1898 it was.

    Or...if you would like to make it relevent now....we can cede Puerto Rico..which we got in that war back to Spain.  Then we can let Spain have the financial obligation of the recovery of the terrible hurricane that hit there. And you can then address the issue of Puerto Rican Independence.   Or, we can give you Guam back.....and we can cede the responsibility of protecting the Pacific Rim to Spain. Let Kook Jung Il aim his supposed nukes your way. 

    Besides despite it not being certain, there was evidence that Spain may indeed have been responsible. But there is no need to relitigate that issue now...is there?

    And as far as the use of diplomacy and the media being used by American Statesmen....we have Donald Trump as POTUS.  How uncomfortable do you think that is for us and the rest of the world? Just be grateful that he is not yours. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Its not relevent to the here and now.  Maybe if you were alive in 1898 it was.

    Or...if you would like to make it relevent now....we can cede Puerto Rico..which we got in that war back to Spain.  Then we can let Spain have the financial obligation of the recovery of the terrible hurricane that hit there. And you can then address the issue of Puerto Rican Independence.   Or, we can give you Guam back.....and we can cede the responsibility of protecting the Pacific Rim to Spain. Let Kook Jung Il aim his supposed nukes your way. 

    Besides despite it not being certain, there was evidence that Spain may indeed have been responsible. But there is no need to relitigate that issue now...is there?

    And as far as the use of diplomacy and the media being used by American Statesmen....we have Donald Trump as POTUS.  How uncomfortable do you think that is for us and the rest of the world? Just be grateful that he is not yours. 

    About having bad politicians, we are pretty competitive too. LOL. 

    Something is wrong with the team when I find more interesting talking about this than yesterday's game hahaha.