Skip to content

Sashi fired

The Browns Board
230 50 10.9k 1
  • Trying to keep Hue and saying he'll keep his job through 2018 is plain stupid for me. Either you keep a coach that goes 1-27 and doesn't get te best out of his roster (I don't care if the roster sucks, Superbowl winning teams have their roster problems too) or you are going to fire him but want to keep him ''calm''. 

    I don't know what good does keeping a coach that knows that he's not staying next year. You're supposed to start looking for a coach as soon as you have a new GM, so you have to stay ahead in the coach searching ''race''. That's why the NY Giants decided to fire both McAdoo and Reese. You aren't getting anything positive out of a interin coach, but you can at least start your offseason already. 

  • I also think that the NY Giants move just triggered Sashi's firing, because if no one was fired, you can still be ''ahead'' in the interviews with new personnel. 

  • Trying to keep Hue and saying he'll keep his job through 2018 is plain stupid for me. Either you keep a coach that goes 1-27 and doesn't get te best out of his roster (I don't care if the roster sucks, Superbowl winning teams have their roster problems too) or you are going to fire him but want to keep him ''calm''. 

    I don't know what good does keeping a coach that knows that he's not staying next year. You're supposed to start looking for a coach as soon as you have a new GM, so you have to stay ahead in the coach searching ''race''. That's why the NY Giants decided to fire both McAdoo and Reese. You aren't getting anything positive out of a interin coach, but you can at least start your offseason already. 

    @nero said:

    Trying to keep Hue and saying he'll keep his job through 2018 is plain stupid for me. Either you keep a coach that goes 1-27 and doesn't get te best out of his roster (I don't care if the roster sucks, Superbowl winning teams have their roster problems too) or you are going to fire him but want to keep him ''calm''. 

    I don't know what good does keeping a coach that knows that he's not staying next year. You're supposed to start looking for a coach as soon as you have a new GM, so you have to stay ahead in the coach searching ''race''. That's why the NY Giants decided to fire both McAdoo and Reese. You aren't getting anything positive out of a interin coach, but you can at least start your offseason already. 

    I agree with you bro....

    The source is kinda sketch on this one, Mary Kay C#$%, but she says Depo is staying. I don't trust her as a source, like i said.

    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    I'm told everyone else will remain in place for now, including #Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta cleveland.com/browns/index.s…
  • For those that care, this is Haslam's official statement regarding the firing of Sashi

    Statement from Owner Jimmy Haslam:

    "We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns. Today we informed Sashi that we were going in a new direction. The 2018 draft and offseason is pivotal for our franchise, we need to ensure that we maximize our opportunity for success; with our picks, free agency and building our roster. Hue Jackson will remain our coach and will return for the 2018 season but we feel it is necessary to take significant steps to strengthen our personnel department. We have begun the process of having productive conversations regarding leadership of our football operations and will provide further updates when appropriate. We thank Sashi for all his hard work and dedication to the Cleveland Browns."

    @stillmotion said:

    For those that care, this is Haslam's official statement regarding the firing of Sashi

    Statement from Owner Jimmy Haslam:

    "We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns. Today we informed Sashi that we were going in a new direction. The 2018 draft and offseason is pivotal for our franchise, we need to ensure that we maximize our opportunity for success; with our picks, free agency and building our roster. Hue Jackson will remain our coach and will return for the 2018 season but we feel it is necessary to take significant steps to strengthen our personnel department. We have begun the process of having productive conversations regarding leadership of our football operations and will provide further updates when appropriate. We thank Sashi for all his hard work and dedication to the Cleveland Browns."

    Finally, a sign of progress this year!

  • Trying to keep Hue and saying he'll keep his job through 2018 is plain stupid for me. Either you keep a coach that goes 1-27 and doesn't get te best out of his roster (I don't care if the roster sucks, Superbowl winning teams have their roster problems too) or you are going to fire him but want to keep him ''calm''. 

    I don't know what good does keeping a coach that knows that he's not staying next year. You're supposed to start looking for a coach as soon as you have a new GM, so you have to stay ahead in the coach searching ''race''. That's why the NY Giants decided to fire both McAdoo and Reese. You aren't getting anything positive out of a interin coach, but you can at least start your offseason already. 

    @nero said:

    Trying to keep Hue and saying he'll keep his job through 2018 is plain stupid for me. Either you keep a coach that goes 1-27 and doesn't get te best out of his roster (I don't care if the roster sucks, Superbowl winning teams have their roster problems too) or you are going to fire him but want to keep him ''calm''. 

    I don't know what good does keeping a coach that knows that he's not staying next year. You're supposed to start looking for a coach as soon as you have a new GM, so you have to stay ahead in the coach searching ''race''. That's why the NY Giants decided to fire both McAdoo and Reese. You aren't getting anything positive out of a interin coach, but you can at least start your offseason already. 

    If I were the new GM...and the owner.....I would make a demand that Hue hire an OC.

    I put as much blame for this poor performance on Hue as I do on Sashi.   

    Hue is inept at managing a football game.  He has been inept at calling plays. 

    Getting rid of Sachi won't cure those problems if Hue is still here, if Hue is still OC.

    And the only thing I can about this is that I am glad....in this instance, that Jimmy cannot be trusted to keep his word.  He gives his word that Hue will be back next year?    Jimmy often fails to keep his word over such things.   Hopefully this will be another case of that.

  • Screenshot_20171207-111634.png

  • I wholeheartedly agree with both these takes. 

    6352F28C-B89A-4D78-B947-F42606F278FE.png

    11A50064-6EFA-4B40-AA0D-BE896ED1BDEB.png

    Perfect summation in two tweets...

    @londonbrown said:

    I wholeheartedly agree with both these takes. 

    6352F28C-B89A-4D78-B947-F42606F278FE.png

    11A50064-6EFA-4B40-AA0D-BE896ED1BDEB.png

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    But the process.......

    Just hit an iceberg.

    @mark-o said:

    Just hit an iceberg.

    Yup... The process and the franchise...

  • @jrb12711 said:

    If Hue's job is safe and that is a required part of accepting the job, MANY candidates will automatically say no. That's just how it goes,  but I suppose it's not like top guys are lining up to take the job anyway.

    Every coach wants to be a head coach regardless of the situation. Don't kid yourself. The only difference is if they have a choice between two head coaching jobs or feel they might be The Heir Apparent to a Hall of Fame coach.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Every coach wants to be a head coach regardless of the situation. Don't kid yourself. The only difference is if they have a choice between two head coaching jobs or feel they might be The Heir Apparent to a Hall of Fame coach.

    WSS

    ....what? That's not what I said, at all. What I actually said was that many GM candidates will not take this job if it means Hue stays, which it sounds like he will. GM's want to hand pick their staff or at least have some control over it, which in this case they would not. That's going to eliminate a lot of guys right off the top. Don't kid yourself.

  • @nero said:

    Tour said on 'Kiper, Mcshay answer 25 questions about the draft' 1 hour ago...

    Fine... here's my counter to your definition of "our bet".

    • $100 bet.
    • I say Sashi stays in his current role atop the existing consensus process.
    • You say he goes or the consensus process is overridden.

    I didn't even see that.   An hour ago I had business to conduct.

    But, because I am magnanimous, I will let him off the hook.  Instead of a hundred bucks....he can give me the $5.00 Sundae.

    @the-gipper said:

    I didn't even see that.   An hour ago I had business to conduct.

    But, because I am magnanimous, I will let him off the hook.  Instead of a hundred bucks....he can give me the $5.00 Sundae.

    Magnanimous?

    Sorry never accepted the sundae bet, just as you never accepted the $100.

    @miktoxic said:

    says a bet chizzler.

    Nero's a chizzler?

  • Great move  way to many misses in the early rounds. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    Every coach wants to be a head coach regardless of the situation. Don't kid yourself. The only difference is if they have a choice between two head coaching jobs or feel they might be The Heir Apparent to a Hall of Fame coach.

    WSS

    ....what? That's not what I said, at all. What I actually said was that many GM candidates will not take this job if it means Hue stays, which it sounds like he will. GM's want to hand pick their staff or at least have some control over it, which in this case they would not. That's going to eliminate a lot of guys right off the top. Don't kid yourself.

    @jrb12711 said:

    ....what? That's not what I said, at all. What I actually said was that many GM candidates will not take this job if it means Hue stays, which it sounds like he will. GM's want to hand pick their staff or at least have some control over it, which in this case they would not. That's going to eliminate a lot of guys right off the top. Don't kid yourself.

    Sorry if I misunderstood but I would wager the same goes for GM's. 

    Everybody wants to move up. And I don't suppose there's a team in the league that doesn't have some kind of friction between the coaches and the front office.

    PS after re-reading I would guess the top guys already have a job?

    WSS

  • @stillmotion said:

    For those that care, this is Haslam's official statement regarding the firing of Sashi

    Statement from Owner Jimmy Haslam:

    "We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns. Today we informed Sashi that we were going in a new direction. The 2018 draft and offseason is pivotal for our franchise, we need to ensure that we maximize our opportunity for success; with our picks, free agency and building our roster. Hue Jackson will remain our coach and will return for the 2018 season but we feel it is necessary to take significant steps to strengthen our personnel department. We have begun the process of having productive conversations regarding leadership of our football operations and will provide further updates when appropriate. We thank Sashi for all his hard work and dedication to the Cleveland Browns."

    Finally, a sign of progress this year!

    @canton-dawg said:

    Finally, a sign of progress this year!

    Sounds like he wants a GM that knows football players and the locker room as well as stats.

  • But the process.......

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    But the process.......

    According to Jimmy wasn't working. 

    @mark-o said:

    Just hit an iceberg.

    And was put out of it's misery. RIP. Sashi = exhibit "A" of the Peter Principle at work.

  • @westside-steve said:

    You and tour haven't consummated that hundred dollar bet have you?

    WSS

    I just told him that in the duplicated thread, lol

    @nero said:

    I just told him that in the duplicated thread, lol

    I'll merge them ASAP.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn't even see that.   An hour ago I had business to conduct.

    But, because I am magnanimous, I will let him off the hook.  Instead of a hundred bucks....he can give me the $5.00 Sundae.

    Magnanimous?

    Sorry never accepted the sundae bet, just as you never accepted the $100.

    @miktoxic said:

    says a bet chizzler.

    Nero's a chizzler?

    @tour2ma said:

    Magnanimous?

    Sorry never accepted the sundae bet, just as you never accepted the $100.

    Nero's a chizzler?

    If you would rather send me the $100....that would be fine. 

  • I'm all for keeping Hue. Not the coaches fault if he doesn't have the players. Give him at least one more year, and some decent players to work with. As some one said....."expecting a coach to win with this group is like asking a doctor to perform open heart surgery with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver."

  • Besides Human Nature, in that you can't put 5 people in a room and get them to agree on anything, I don't see why it's such a major problem to get the general manager and the coaching staff at least on the same page?

    WSS

  • Besides Human Nature, in that you can't put 5 people in a room and get them to agree on anything, I don't see why it's such a major problem to get the general manager and the coaching staff at least on the same page?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Besides Human Nature oh, in that you can't put 5 people in a room and get them to agree on anything, I don't see why it's such a major problem to get the general manager and the coaching staff at least on the same page?

    WSS

    I think it was General George S Patton who said it, one of my favorite quotes indeed: 

    'If everyone in a group of people thinks alike, it's because someone is not thinking.'

  • I'm all for keeping Hue. Not the coaches fault if he doesn't have the players. Give him at least one more year, and some decent players to work with. As some one said....."expecting a coach to win with this group is like asking a doctor to perform open heart surgery with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver."

    @brownsfan4evr said:

    I'm all for keeping Hue. Not the coaches fault if he doesn't have the players. Give him at least one more year, and some decent players to work with. As some one said....."expecting a coach to win with this group is like asking a doctor to perform open heart surgery with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver."

    It IS the coaches fault that he:

    A. Cannot manage a clock

    B. Cannot call decent plays

    C. Seems dazed and confused on the sideline

    D. Can't seem to coach up his QBs...despite his reputation.

    E. Cannot put a disciplined team on the field.

    F. Cannot coach any team better than 1-27.