Skip to content

Hue vs Pettine

The Browns Board
41 19 1.3k
  • @londonbrown said:

    At this same stage of their HC careers with the Browns Hue is currently 10 wins behind Mike Pettine. 

    TEN

    Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @dawg2fan said:

    Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

    Yep. With the 14 and 15 rosters and schedules Hue wins at least 15 games. 

  • @baconhound said:

    I blame coaches for losses when they make the bad call.  Butch Davis cost the Browns a playoff win.  Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn lost Super Bowls because of calls.  I don't see the same issues on this team.  In today's game there was a point in the 3rd quarter where our bend but don't break defense was hurting us but if you give up 21 points a game you are a top 14 NFL Defense.  I'm a big believer in complete football.  If your offense fails to move the ball it puts pressure on your defense.  When your defense can't stop anyone it puts your offense in a "pass mode" which makes you one dimensional.  This team is shaky on both sides of the ball but I'm one of the few that views this as a lack of talent.  If I was coaching Mercer and they put me in the Big 10 I'd expect to get destroyed a lot and lose close games to bad conference teams.

    I think you severely underestimate the importance of coaching in football.  It's notb1 or 2 plays, or managing time outs... it is everything... 

    HC and QB are the MOST important positions in an NFL organization...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @thenew23 said:

    I think you severely underestimate the importance of coaching in football.  It's notb1 or 2 plays, or managing time outs... it is everything... 

    HC and QB are the MOST important positions in an NFL organization...

    Correct.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Technically we stopped at halftime... which is right and proper.

    We never started throwing to him in the 2nd half. 😉

    I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @nero said:

    I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

  • @nero said:

    I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @tour2ma said:

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @dawg2fan said:

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

    If Pettine had the roster, no, I do not believe we would be as bad as we are now.   That is not to say he was a good coach...he just wasn't as bad, seemingly, as what we have now.

  • @dawg2fan said:

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

    If Pettine had the roster, no, I do not believe we would be as bad as we are now.   That is not to say he was a good coach...he just wasn't as bad, seemingly, as what we have now.

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-gipper said:

    If Pettine had the roster, no, I do not believe we would be as bad as we are now.   That is not to say he was a good coach...he just wasn't as bad, seemingly, as what we have now.

    Just remember, he would be the HC and everything will be the samd.  DC, FO and all.  Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If Pettine had the roster, no, I do not believe we would be as bad as we are now.   That is not to say he was a good coach...he just wasn't as bad, seemingly, as what we have now.

    Just remember, he would be the HC and everything will be the samd.  DC, FO and all.  Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @dawg2fan said:

    Just remember, he would be the HC and everything will be the samd.  DC, FO and all.  Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

    Except....Pettine never insisted on being his own OC or DC.   That is a fair amount of Hue's problem.

    Now...Pettine may have been better if he HAD taken over DC duties from the horrible O'Neill.......maybe.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #33

    In 2014 Pet was tacitly our DC including calling the D. He handed off to O'Neil in 2015 to spend time with the O after Young Shanny jumped ship.

    @dawg2fan said:

    I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

    Yes... with his 2014 staff in place, especially Kyle Shanahan, I can absolutely see 3 wins this season. With his 2015 staff? More along the lines of your 1-15.

    Kyle's moving pocket, PAP game with heavy TE emphasis was run very well by Hoyer until he self-destructed. Both Kess and Hogan would have fit that O pretty well... probably well enough where we would just be starting to see Kizer at this point in the season.

    If we penciled in this past Sunday as Kizer's first start, then how much different would his narrative be?

  • @dawg2fan said:

    Just remember, he would be the HC and everything will be the samd.  DC, FO and all.  Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

    Except....Pettine never insisted on being his own OC or DC.   That is a fair amount of Hue's problem.

    Now...Pettine may have been better if he HAD taken over DC duties from the horrible O'Neill.......maybe.

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @the-gipper said:

    Except....Pettine never insisted on being his own OC or DC.   That is a fair amount of Hue's problem.

    Now...Pettine may have been better if he HAD taken over DC duties from the horrible O'Neill.......maybe.

    So they were kind of in the same boat.  Pettine should've taken over the DC duties, which i agree, but didn't.  And Hue didn't hire someone for OC duties, which i also agree.  Both coaches did/didn't do something that they should've.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Except....Pettine never insisted on being his own OC or DC.   That is a fair amount of Hue's problem.

    Now...Pettine may have been better if he HAD taken over DC duties from the horrible O'Neill.......maybe.

    So they were kind of in the same boat.  Pettine should've taken over the DC duties, which i agree, but didn't.  And Hue didn't hire someone for OC duties, which i also agree.  Both coaches did/didn't do something that they should've.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @dawg2fan said:

    So they were kind of in the same boat.  Pettine should've taken over the DC duties, which i agree, but didn't.  And Hue didn't hire someone for OC duties, which i also agree.  Both coaches did/didn't do something that they should've.  

    So...we can agree that they both suffered from a bad case of  suckotage.....and could have perhaps applied a remedy to their afflictions? 

    If Hue stays, I think he will be placed in a forced sterilization unit.

  • @dawg2fan said:

    So they were kind of in the same boat.  Pettine should've taken over the DC duties, which i agree, but didn't.  And Hue didn't hire someone for OC duties, which i also agree.  Both coaches did/didn't do something that they should've.  

    So...we can agree that they both suffered from a bad case of  suckotage.....and could have perhaps applied a remedy to their afflictions? 

    If Hue stays, I think he will be placed in a forced sterilization unit.

    dawg2fanD dawg2fan wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @the-gipper said:

    So...we can agree that they both suffered from a bad case of  suckotage.....and could have perhaps applied a remedy to their afflictions? 

    If Hue stays, I think he will be placed in a forced sterilization unit.

    😁

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Can you also compare Cow Schidt to Hue. Hue has one more win than Cow Schidt. I can see why Hasalami wants to kee Hue for another year.

  • @nero said:

    I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @tour2ma said:

    I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

    I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

    Interesting comment...

    My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

    If he was guaranteed 2018, sure. Otherwise, no way. 

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #39

    But then again Pet is still unemployed. Hue will join him in about a month. 

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Pet and Hue have or had the exact same albatross around their neck too.

    It's called Jimmah Stupidphukkinghillbilly

  • But then again Pet is still unemployed. Hue will join him in about a month. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    But then again Pet is still unemployed. Hue will join him in about a month. 

    The really fakakta thing is that  Pat Shurmur is the OC of a team that is 10-3....and Pettine is unemployed.