Skip to content

Why Garoppolo Isn't A Brown

The Browns Board
52 14 2.7k
  • @nero said:

    I don't think we even got a chance in the trade deadline.

    Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

    • **ring ring***
    • Sashi: Hello
    • Bill: Hey Sashi, Bill here. We're moving Jimmy G today. Is your last offer still good?
    • Sashi: No.
    • Bill: OK, thanks.
    • **click**

    Hardly takes any time at all.

    @tour2ma said:

    Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

    It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

    If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

  • He didnt want to come here so the Patriots did right by him and sent him to SF instead. We wanted him and had better draft capital, blame Haslam for the perception of this franchise..

    @londonbrown said:

    He didnt want to come here so the Patriots did right by him and sent him to SF instead. We wanted him and had better draft capital, blame Haslam for the perception of this franchise..

    DING DING DING.....HE WINS AGAIN

  • @ghoolie said:

    This is why I call Browns fans the dumbest bastards on earth. Football is all about the QB.

    Did Jimmy make the difference? No dude, the D jsut magically started getting better when he arrived, the O just happend to get efficient, the team jsut coincidentally became energized.

    FUKCK man, we don't need a stinking QB. Let's keep trading down, let's keep wasting picks on lardass O linemen, Zumba instructors, and sissye, 2nd tier wide recievers. Seriously man, forget the 9er success, forget Ben, Wenz, Goff, Julio Jones, AJ Gree, Bosa, Elliot.................. we don't need players......... we don't need stars...............he need to trade down and accumulate ASSETS.

    Dumbest fukcing fans, and franchise ever. Seriously, the NFL has no business being in Cleveland.

    Didnt u trash garrappolo? Is this "yet another" ghoolie walk back?

    @clevfan4life said:

    Didnt u trash garrappolo? Is this "yet another" ghoolie walk back?

    YOu need to get your balls out of the vacuum cleaner. THis conversation is not about how good or not JG is, it is about how nobody in their right mind wants to play in Cleveland. Even a reotard like Garrett doens't want to play here.

  • Epic Browns failure. Epic assinine explanations why we didn't fail.

    0 - 14  carry on with the rebuild.

  • @nero said:

    I don't think we even got a chance in the trade deadline.

    Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

    • **ring ring***
    • Sashi: Hello
    • Bill: Hey Sashi, Bill here. We're moving Jimmy G today. Is your last offer still good?
    • Sashi: No.
    • Bill: OK, thanks.
    • **click**

    Hardly takes any time at all.

    @tour2ma said:

    Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

    • **ring ring***
    • Sashi: Hello
    • Bill: Hey Sashi, Bill here. We're moving Jimmy G today. Is your last offer still good?
    • Sashi: No.
    • Bill: OK, thanks.
    • **click**

    Hardly takes any time at all.

    And that was appropropriate.  Why should he have offered the same in the middle of the season that he offered before the season...especially for a guy that was going to be a FA.  How many games would have have played?  Half a dozen at most.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Entirely possible, but given what we reportedly offered in the earlier negotiations, to not call us would be Football malpractice.

    It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

    If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

    @nero said:

    It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

    If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

    It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

    Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

  • Epic Browns failure. Epic assinine explanations why we didn't fail.

    0 - 14  carry on with the rebuild.

    @ghoolie said:

    Epic Browns failure. Epic assinine explanations why we didn't fail.

    0 - 14  carry on with the rebuild.

    Epic Ignorance on what Browns fans do or do not know.

    Everyone here has the exact same understanding about how and why  this team is is sucky as you do. You just think you know more or know better...and you don't.  You actually prove that you know far less.

  • @nero said:

    It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

    If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

    It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

    Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

    Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

    The Browns didn't offer the #12 pick because no one in the FO....and literally no one here thought that JG was worth the #12 pick.  We still don't know that....despite the fact that he has gone to SF and done well.

    And also because....no matter HOW good JG is or may become.....and even if you (Browns FO) thought he was that good  he would not be worth the #12 pick unless he agreed to a long term extension.   They would never agree to give up that high of a pick for a one year rental.

  • @nero said:

    It could be football malpractice or not. If you are going to negotiate, you don't want your partner to know which offers you did receive for the deal you are offering him, unless those offers are closer to your target. 

    If BB calls the Browns, they might tell him at first "we can offer a third round". If then they call SF, they have more chances to know what did the Browns offer and set the Patriots on the backfoot when negotiating. Because they could have said "a third and a fifth", improving Browns offer but not reaching the Pats ideal 2nd and probably prolonguing the negotiations.

    It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

    Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    ... and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.

    Brian Hoyer...

    SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them,

    You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    It's been reported that we offered a 2nd and a 3rd round pick before the draft, but the Patriots obviously balked at the offer.  It's tough to blame them because they traded away Brissett, Tom is 40, and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.  However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them, and if we did, there's absolutely NOW WAY the Patriots refuse that pick.  The Pats almost never get to pick that high (for obvious reasons), and they'd likely trade down from 12 to acquire even more picks.  You can do that when you have a winning record basically every year.  

    Now, I have no proof that the Pats would've accepted the #12 pick, but it's really hard to believe they would've turned that offer down.  Additionally, it's difficult to imagine the Patriots wouldn't have accepted the 2018 Texans' first round pick for Garoppolo, REGARDLESS if they wanted to trade him to a downtrodden, miserable, no-good-terrible-suck-fest of a franchise like the Browns.  

    The Browns didn't offer the #12 pick because no one in the FO....and literally no one here thought that JG was worth the #12 pick.  We still don't know that....despite the fact that he has gone to SF and done well.

    And also because....no matter HOW good JG is or may become.....and even if you (Browns FO) thought he was that good  he would not be worth the #12 pick unless he agreed to a long term extension.   They would never agree to give up that high of a pick for a one year rental.

    @the-gipper said:

    The Browns didn't offer the #12 pick because no one in the FO....and literally no one here thought that JG was worth the #12 pick.  We still don't know that....despite the fact that he has gone to SF and done well.

    And also because....no matter HOW good JG is or may become.....and even if you (Browns FO) thought he was that good  he would not be worth the #12 pick unless he agreed to a long term extension.   They would never agree to give up that high of a pick for a one year rental.

    I would've offered the WORLD for Garoppolo.  I don't remember what I said I'd give up for him, but I know for SURE I said I'd basically do whatever it takes to get him.  I THINK I said I'd give up anything but the #1 pick, but I could be mistaken.  Nathan Zegura said he'd even consider giving up the #1 pick because we'd still be guaranteed to get a good player with the #12.  

    However, your point about executing a long-term extension is extremely valid, and nobody on this board will ever know what JG would've said to that.  Of course, money talkes and B.S. walks, and we've got a lot of money.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    ... and I couldn't even tell you WHO their backup currently is right now.

    Brian Hoyer...

    SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    However, I find it hard to believe we didn't offer the #12 pick to them,

    You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

    @tour2ma said:

    Brian Hoyer...

    SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

    You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

    Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    Brian Hoyer...

    SF cut Hoyer after the deal and NE signed him to a 3-year deal after he cleared waivers. They wanted him, but not his pseudo-starter contract he signed with SF.

    You can't trade a 1st-round pick for a player that is months away from FA. To do so would definitely be "football malpractice".

    Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

    Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

    Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

    In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, I know it's Hoyer right now, but I don't remember who the backup was when they traded Brissett.  

    Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

    Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

    In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

    @the-gipper said:

    Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

    Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

    In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

    Yeah, sorry.  I meant to ask, "Who would've become 2nd string if we traded for Garoppolo"?  It didn't come out correctly.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Garrapolo was the backup when they trade Brissett.  Duh!

    Or, are you asking who was then third string?  I don't think they had one.    I would have said Julian Edelman was the emergency QB...but he was out injured.

    In fact, the current roster lists, and I have checked a few...do not show any QBs on their roster other than Brady and Hoyer.  No PS, and no IR or anyone.

    Yeah, sorry.  I meant to ask, "Who would've become 2nd string if we traded for Garoppolo"?  It didn't come out correctly.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, sorry.  I meant to ask, "Who would've become 2nd string if we traded for Garoppolo"?  It didn't come out correctly.  

    Probably whoever we cut... 😉

  • @hx214 said:

    I'm calling BS. Bill B would send his mom to the Browns for the right offer. He could care less.

    Thanks, man. 

    Belichick has always been famous for releasing and trading important players from NE, just when you'd expect him to keep them. He's a cold man who runs the business showing little or no affection to his players, which allows him to pull the trigger off if needed. 

    That's why I don't buy the 'they traded Garoppolo to SF make him good' Sheet. They traded him there because they were running out of time to get something in exchange for Garoppolo, as he is going to be FA in 2019 and they couldn't afford both Brady's and Garoppolo's new contract. And because there was no time, they didn't call Cleveland, which already offered a 2nd round for him in April, and had drafted Kizer because the Pats didn't accept the deal. And why didn't they call the Browns? Well, if you force a team that offered you a 2nd round, to use that round pick (I know it was not exactly the same pick, but helps to understand my point) in a rookie QB -Kizer-, if you come 6 months later, in midseason, asking for a deal, they will surely offer you less. EVERYONE would offer you less than before.

    Therefore, instead of getting in long negotiations with the Browns, they opted to directly call the 49ers instead, so they could get the deal done really fast. 

    @nero said:

    Belichick has always been famous for releasing and trading important players from NE, just when you'd expect him to keep them. He's a cold man who runs the business showing little or no affection to his players, which allows him to pull the trigger off if needed. 

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early rather than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers BB to be, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

  • @nero said:

    Belichick has always been famous for releasing and trading important players from NE, just when you'd expect him to keep them. He's a cold man who runs the business showing little or no affection to his players, which allows him to pull the trigger off if needed. 

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early rather than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers BB to be, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    @chicopeejohn said:

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    If you want to understand what I said, I suggest you to read thoroughly what I said. 

    And repeat the process as many times as needed. 

    No need to say sorry.

  • @chicopeejohn said:

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    If you want to understand what I said, I suggest you to read thoroughly what I said. 

    And repeat the process as many times as needed. 

    No need to say sorry.

    @nero said:

    If you want to understand what I said, I suggest you to read thoroughly what I said. 

    And repeat the process as many times as needed. 

    No need to say sorry.

    Don't be a jackass, Nero.  I might have misinterpreted your intent.  Maybe your statement was elusive or misleading.

    Either way, I don't care.

  • @nero said:

    Belichick has always been famous for releasing and trading important players from NE, just when you'd expect him to keep them. He's a cold man who runs the business showing little or no affection to his players, which allows him to pull the trigger off if needed. 

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early rather than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers BB to be, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    @chicopeejohn said:

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early rather than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers BB to be, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    No...you have not read my stuff.  I said that Belichick is a good coach who could have his teams in playoff contention regularly.   I said that it is Brady that makes them a Champion.

    And if you don't believe that then it is YOU who are the nimcompoop. 

  • @chicopeejohn said:

    No true.  Even if it were true - so what.  This is NOT about affection.  Sheesh.

    Belichick has traded 'apparent' top line players a year or two early rather than a year or two late.  He has players in the wings that can step right in.  That is exactly what he wanted to do with the likes of Michael Dean Perry.

    I know Gipper considers BB to be, simply, a nincompoop who happens to have Tom Brady as his QB.  NOBODY in the NFL feels that way.  Beer-bender fans are just that - been bender fans.

    How much to the Pats miss Jamie Collins?

    If you want affection, I suggest you watch Lifetime Network.

    No...you have not read my stuff.  I said that Belichick is a good coach who could have his teams in playoff contention regularly.   I said that it is Brady that makes them a Champion.

    And if you don't believe that then it is YOU who are the nimcompoop. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Arguably, BB is the best coach in. NFL history

     We can agree to disagree.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Arguably, BB is the best coach in. NFL history

     We can agree to disagree.  

    @chicopeejohn said:

    Arguably, BB is the best coach in. NFL history

     We can agree to disagree.  

    I will paraphrase James Brown:

    He would be nothing, nothing, not one little thing without (Tom Brady)

    Actually, he wouldn't be nothing.   He would be like Andy Reid....