Skip to content

Who is the top non-QB prospect?

The Browns Board
49 18 1.4k
  • Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
    #1

    If Houston loses to the Colts and the Giants pick up a QB with #2 pick we will have our choice of the top QB and overall prospect in the draft. Problem is I have no idea who that player is. Barkley? Fitzpatrick? B. Chubb? None of these guys look like blue chip players to me so they all would be a reach as far as I'm concerned. 

    In other words who is the best player in the draft that isn't a QB?

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #2

    that is so subjective, to try to answer it.

    My best guess is Bradley Chubb. or Vita Vea. or Derwin James. lol Quentin Nelson, OG.....

  • Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I like subjective discussions. I think we have people on this board that are better than most experts. 

    I think James is an excellent SS but do we pull the plug on the peppers experiment after one year?

    Vea is nice but is he the pass rusher we need or is he going to be the same player we have in Shelton?

    I don't know if Chubb is an upgrade over Ogbah. I'll have to watch a little more tape on him but I wasn't that impressed with the 2 games I saw of his.

  • I like subjective discussions. I think we have people on this board that are better than most experts. 

    I think James is an excellent SS but do we pull the plug on the peppers experiment after one year?

    Vea is nice but is he the pass rusher we need or is he going to be the same player we have in Shelton?

    I don't know if Chubb is an upgrade over Ogbah. I'll have to watch a little more tape on him but I wasn't that impressed with the 2 games I saw of his.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I like subjective discussions. I think we have people on this board that are better than most experts. 

    I think James is an excellent SS but do we pull the plug on the peppers experiment after one year?

    Vea is nice but is he the pass rusher we need or is he going to be the same player we have in Shelton?

    I don't know if Chubb is an upgrade over Ogbah. I'll have to watch a little more tape on him but I wasn't that impressed with the 2 games I saw of his.

    Well...it comes down to the old debate about  do you take the Best Player Available....or do you draft for need.   I mean...the Browns need some serious help in some areas:   QB,  Defensive  backfield   Should they go that route?    

    I personally would like to see them take whomever they think is the clear #1 QB at #1  (though...is there such a thing this year?)...and then get some DB help.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Fitzpatrick or James for us

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Derwin James is probably the best physical prospect. He's an absolute physical monster. 

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I have seen way less tape than many people around, but if it's between a FS/SS similar to Peppers and a good CB who can also play as safety, I'd go that way. 

    I think Peppers has underperformed because the secondary is the worst part of our defense and he's played out of position. 

    There's no RB or WR that stands out as great as other years' first rounders.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    For me, to date - Chubb.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Depends on wut we do in FA. Lets say Dorsey gets us ansah, well that negates the need for chubb. Barkley is obviously the best non qb player but he'll be gone by the texans pick. 

    I dont think im thinking out of the box here when i say......holy fuk we need a wr. After the qb position its the next most glaring absolute need. We cannot go another year with a roster if gargoyle handed a'ssholes that drop touchdowns. Cant do it. We dont know wtf gordon is gonna do from one month to the next so we have to draft or sign a #1. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Fiztpatrick reminds me of the Honey Badger. We need one of those kinds of DBs that thinks any ball in the air belongs to him.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Barkley should in no way be considered in this range.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

    If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

    Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

    1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

    1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

    2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

    2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

    2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

  • The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

    If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

    Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

    1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

    1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

    2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

    2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

    2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #13

    @jiggins7919 said:

    The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

    If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

    Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

    1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

    1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

    2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

    2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

    2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

    I'd take a flyer on later round CB Tony Brown from Bama too. Not as hyped as the other two, but very solid pro player IMO. He's my dark horse defender this year and I'll keep tabs on him wherever he ends up going.

  • I have seen way less tape than many people around, but if it's between a FS/SS similar to Peppers and a good CB who can also play as safety, I'd go that way. 

    I think Peppers has underperformed because the secondary is the worst part of our defense and he's played out of position. 

    There's no RB or WR that stands out as great as other years' first rounders.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @nero said:

    I have seen way less tape than many people around, but if it's between a FS/SS similar to Peppers and a good CB who can also play as safety, I'd go that way. 

    I think Peppers has underperformed because the secondary is the worst part of our defense and he's played out of position. 

    There's no RB or WR that stands out as great as other years' first rounders.

    Well....perhaps we will see Peppers playing a different role.  With the injury to Kindred, I understand that he may be switching to Strong Safety for the next couple of games.   Lets see if he can have some production there......as the way he is being played at FS, ...as my daddy used to say:   He is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

    If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

    Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

    1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

    1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

    2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

    2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

    2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

    I'd take a flyer on later round CB Tony Brown from Bama too. Not as hyped as the other two, but very solid pro player IMO. He's my dark horse defender this year and I'll keep tabs on him wherever he ends up going.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'd take a flyer on later round CB Tony Brown from Bama too. Not as hyped as the other two, but very solid pro player IMO. He's my dark horse defender this year and I'll keep tabs on him wherever he ends up going.

    Sounds good to me. I like the thought of loading up with defensive backs from big time college teams. God forbid we look at Ohio State. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Drafting parris Campbell that high is pure homerism.  His hands alone make him hard to trust as a receiving option. 

  • The NFL is a passing league.  Look at the bottom ten teams ranked against the pass, and then look at their win-loss record.  If you can't stop the pass, you don't win...it's THAT simple.  Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best non-qb player in this draft because of his versatility.  He can play free safety, cornerback, and he's even pretty good at blitzing the QB.  He's absolutely perfect for our team, and there's a CHANCE we'll be in position to grab him.  

    If we can't get Fitzpatrick, the surprise pick for us could be Bradley Chubb.  We need pass rushers, and we saw what happened when Ogbah went down.  Fans might say we have way too many other holes on the team to worry about "depth", but pass rusher is a premier position of need for almost every team, and Ogbah is a BEAST against the run.  Drafting Chubb would give us the flexibility to play Ogbah on first and second down, and then bring in Chubb on 3rd down.  That, or we could play Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah all at the same time and move them around on passing downs.  Someone like Gregg Williams would know how to make that work.  

    Dream draft?  It would look something like this!  It's obviously MUCH too early to have any real clue about who will be available where, but these are some examples of players I'd like, and more specifically, here are the POSITIONS I want us to look at upgrading.  In free agency, I want us to grab a veteran QB (ahem, Alex Smith), a cornerback, a linebacker for depth (who can possibly freaking COVER!), a WR (who doesn't suck or quit...or drop everything), some OL depth, and probably a new kicker.  Asking too much?  I don't care.

    1-A: Josh Rosen (UCLA)

    1-B: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)

    2-A: RB Darrius Guice (LSU)

    2-B: WR Parris Campbell (Ohio State)

    2-C:  CB Anthony Averett (Alabama)

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @jiggins7919 said:

     Ogbah is a BEAST against the run

    DQmbXoENvMkEgLLEbSogTBhL53C7kvH2gWABoQHF

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Listen, if we draft chubb ogbah is "out". He wont beat out nassib for third on the depth chart and williams might decide a smaller speed end like orchard is best to have on the roster than a stiff like ogbah. He's absolutely terrible in edge discipline i dont know why people dont know this yet

  • Fiztpatrick reminds me of the Honey Badger. We need one of those kinds of DBs that thinks any ball in the air belongs to him.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fiztpatrick reminds me of the Honey Badger. We need one of those kinds of DBs that thinks any ball in the air belongs to him.

    so I would think by drafting him that would free up peppers to play up on the los instead of center field ?

  • sydS syd

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fiztpatrick reminds me of the Honey Badger. We need one of those kinds of DBs that thinks any ball in the air belongs to him.

    so I would think by drafting him that would free up peppers to play up on the los instead of center field ?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @syd said:

    so I would think by drafting him that would free up peppers to play up on the los instead of center field ?

    Good.  Those poor angles won't take themselves.