Who's #1?
-
It's a team game. Just ridiculous to lay a completion percentage rate on whether or not to
draft a qb. It's tough to find the right guy.
Stats are bogus as the only source of picking.
Great players who play with smaller colleges won't rank on stats as much as mediocre players
with great teams around them, and dominant in their conference.
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html
It's a team game. Just ridiculous to lay a completion percentage rate on whether or not to
draft a qb. It's tough to find the right guy.
Stats are bogus as the only source of picking.
Great players who play with smaller colleges won't rank on stats as much as mediocre players
with great teams around them, and dominant in their conference.
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html
Carson Wentz completed 64% of his passes at North Dakota State. Joe Flacco completed 63% of his passes at Delaware.
-
@boo-fagley said:
You cant teach size, arm strength, quickness, throwing accurate on the run, maturity and confidence.
You can teach better decision making, film study, patience and team work.
That is absolutely true.
But I wouldn't use the #1 or #4 overall pick on a QB who is as much of a project as Josh Allen.
Jesus, we literally JUST DID THIS with Kizer.
-
Kizer was benched in college. bad sign. doesn't see things on the field. slow processing.
that was covered up mostly by the offense they run. not pro style.
-
Big News Guys.....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902523/article/sam-darnold-intends-to-enter-2018-nfl-draft
EDIT: Allen, schmallen.... Cal's gonna have nightmares about this until April....

-
rosen has no leadership qualities, a big arrogant, self absorbed mouth, and he reeks of rotten elderberries.
I can see Darnold, the guy who keeps fumbling.
But Allen is the choice to become the best qb of this draft. That is what we need. Just put a
veteran ahead of him and let him learn for a year.
Systematic Praise
Wyoming doesn't deploy Allen like most collegiate quarterbacks.
Watson and Trubisky, for example, operate out of simplistic offenses where their teams can exploit their abilities as runners. Yes, Allen will run the football, and the zone read is sprinkled into the play-calling, but it's not a staple.
Carson WentzDavid K Purdy/Getty Images
Instead, Wyoming's offense is a pro-style scheme from the same minds that gave the NFL Wentz.
Prior to his arrival in Laramie, Bohl started North Dakota State's recent string of championship success and recruited Wentz. Vigen shaped the Bison's offense as both Wentz and Brock Jensen's quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.
Scouts who evaluated this year's No. 2 overall pick will find a lot of similarities in how the staff uses Allen.
Wyoming's offense isn't in shotgun 100 percent of the time. Instead, Allen operates from under center and is asked to make three-, five- and seven-step drops. The scheme does include spread concepts like smoke routes, jet sweeps and run-pass options, but everything is present for the NFL to evaluate.
While these are available for everyone to see, certain parts of the evaluation aren't.
Competitiveness
There's a little Tom Brady in Allen. No, the young man isn't destined to become the NFL's greatest quarterback, but he carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. It drives him after he received little interest from teams around major college football.
"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you, and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said, per Foster. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"
The Brady 6 drive the four-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Allen likely won't experience the same wait as Brady—a sixth-round pick—did on draft day, but he views himself as having been slighted because he wasn't considered a top quarterback coming out of high school.
His competitive nature extends to the field, where coaches have to take him out of the game when he shows any sign of injury.
"If he's limping or something, come game time he just seems to forget," said Alex Gutierrez—Allen's high school baseball coach and quarterbacks coach, per Foster. "He just loves to compete, and that's something that I wouldn't want anyone to take away from him in any way, because that's what makes him who he is."
Allen's competitiveness helped drive Wyoming's success after it won only 15 games during the previous four seasons. In 2016, the Cowboys bested a then-nationally ranked Boise State and even beat the San Diego State Aztecs in regular-season play before falling to them in the Mountain West Championship Game.
Whether it's football, baseball or basketball, Allen wants the ball in his hands.
-
@boo-fagley said:
The combine is still to come.
Dont put your mock draft in ink just yet.
QBs throwing against no pressure while wearing shorts and throwing to uncovered WRs is going to prove Allen's worth?
QBs throwing against no pressure while wearing shorts and throwing to uncovered WRs is going to prove Allen's worth?
season games..bowl game..Senior Bowl practice's leading to game.. than
till private team visits...throw out Pro Days & fat bros in tights week..It just won't matter
-
rosen has no leadership qualities, a big arrogant, self absorbed mouth, and he reeks of rotten elderberries.
I can see Darnold, the guy who keeps fumbling.
But Allen is the choice to become the best qb of this draft. That is what we need. Just put a
veteran ahead of him and let him learn for a year.
Systematic Praise
Wyoming doesn't deploy Allen like most collegiate quarterbacks.
Watson and Trubisky, for example, operate out of simplistic offenses where their teams can exploit their abilities as runners. Yes, Allen will run the football, and the zone read is sprinkled into the play-calling, but it's not a staple.
Carson WentzDavid K Purdy/Getty Images
Instead, Wyoming's offense is a pro-style scheme from the same minds that gave the NFL Wentz.
Prior to his arrival in Laramie, Bohl started North Dakota State's recent string of championship success and recruited Wentz. Vigen shaped the Bison's offense as both Wentz and Brock Jensen's quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.
Scouts who evaluated this year's No. 2 overall pick will find a lot of similarities in how the staff uses Allen.
Wyoming's offense isn't in shotgun 100 percent of the time. Instead, Allen operates from under center and is asked to make three-, five- and seven-step drops. The scheme does include spread concepts like smoke routes, jet sweeps and run-pass options, but everything is present for the NFL to evaluate.
While these are available for everyone to see, certain parts of the evaluation aren't.
Competitiveness
There's a little Tom Brady in Allen. No, the young man isn't destined to become the NFL's greatest quarterback, but he carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. It drives him after he received little interest from teams around major college football.
"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you, and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said, per Foster. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"
The Brady 6 drive the four-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Allen likely won't experience the same wait as Brady—a sixth-round pick—did on draft day, but he views himself as having been slighted because he wasn't considered a top quarterback coming out of high school.
His competitive nature extends to the field, where coaches have to take him out of the game when he shows any sign of injury.
"If he's limping or something, come game time he just seems to forget," said Alex Gutierrez—Allen's high school baseball coach and quarterbacks coach, per Foster. "He just loves to compete, and that's something that I wouldn't want anyone to take away from him in any way, because that's what makes him who he is."
Allen's competitiveness helped drive Wyoming's success after it won only 15 games during the previous four seasons. In 2016, the Cowboys bested a then-nationally ranked Boise State and even beat the San Diego State Aztecs in regular-season play before falling to them in the Mountain West Championship Game.
Whether it's football, baseball or basketball, Allen wants the ball in his hands.
rosen has no leadership qualities, a big arrogant, self absorbed mouth, and he reeks of rotten elderberries.
I can see Darnold, the guy who keeps fumbling.
But Allen is the choice to become the best qb of this draft. That is what we need. Just put a
veteran ahead of him and let him learn for a year.
Systematic Praise
Wyoming doesn't deploy Allen like most collegiate quarterbacks.
Watson and Trubisky, for example, operate out of simplistic offenses where their teams can exploit their abilities as runners. Yes, Allen will run the football, and the zone read is sprinkled into the play-calling, but it's not a staple.
Carson WentzDavid K Purdy/Getty Images
Instead, Wyoming's offense is a pro-style scheme from the same minds that gave the NFL Wentz.
Prior to his arrival in Laramie, Bohl started North Dakota State's recent string of championship success and recruited Wentz. Vigen shaped the Bison's offense as both Wentz and Brock Jensen's quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.
Scouts who evaluated this year's No. 2 overall pick will find a lot of similarities in how the staff uses Allen.
Wyoming's offense isn't in shotgun 100 percent of the time. Instead, Allen operates from under center and is asked to make three-, five- and seven-step drops. The scheme does include spread concepts like smoke routes, jet sweeps and run-pass options, but everything is present for the NFL to evaluate.
While these are available for everyone to see, certain parts of the evaluation aren't.
Competitiveness
There's a little Tom Brady in Allen. No, the young man isn't destined to become the NFL's greatest quarterback, but he carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. It drives him after he received little interest from teams around major college football.
"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you, and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said, per Foster. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"
The Brady 6 drive the four-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Allen likely won't experience the same wait as Brady—a sixth-round pick—did on draft day, but he views himself as having been slighted because he wasn't considered a top quarterback coming out of high school.
His competitive nature extends to the field, where coaches have to take him out of the game when he shows any sign of injury.
"If he's limping or something, come game time he just seems to forget," said Alex Gutierrez—Allen's high school baseball coach and quarterbacks coach, per Foster. "He just loves to compete, and that's something that I wouldn't want anyone to take away from him in any way, because that's what makes him who he is."
Allen's competitiveness helped drive Wyoming's success after it won only 15 games during the previous four seasons. In 2016, the Cowboys bested a then-nationally ranked Boise State and even beat the San Diego State Aztecs in regular-season play before falling to them in the Mountain West Championship Game.
Whether it's football, baseball or basketball, Allen wants the ball in his hands.
It's now official- Cal loves Allen more than Po loves Hogan..... Please Cal- just start a Camp Allen thread- you can love on him all you want to there....
-
rosen has no leadership qualities, a big arrogant, self absorbed mouth, and he reeks of rotten elderberries.
I can see Darnold, the guy who keeps fumbling.
But Allen is the choice to become the best qb of this draft. That is what we need. Just put a
veteran ahead of him and let him learn for a year.
Systematic Praise
Wyoming doesn't deploy Allen like most collegiate quarterbacks.
Watson and Trubisky, for example, operate out of simplistic offenses where their teams can exploit their abilities as runners. Yes, Allen will run the football, and the zone read is sprinkled into the play-calling, but it's not a staple.
Carson WentzDavid K Purdy/Getty Images
Instead, Wyoming's offense is a pro-style scheme from the same minds that gave the NFL Wentz.
Prior to his arrival in Laramie, Bohl started North Dakota State's recent string of championship success and recruited Wentz. Vigen shaped the Bison's offense as both Wentz and Brock Jensen's quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.
Scouts who evaluated this year's No. 2 overall pick will find a lot of similarities in how the staff uses Allen.
Wyoming's offense isn't in shotgun 100 percent of the time. Instead, Allen operates from under center and is asked to make three-, five- and seven-step drops. The scheme does include spread concepts like smoke routes, jet sweeps and run-pass options, but everything is present for the NFL to evaluate.
While these are available for everyone to see, certain parts of the evaluation aren't.
Competitiveness
There's a little Tom Brady in Allen. No, the young man isn't destined to become the NFL's greatest quarterback, but he carries a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. It drives him after he received little interest from teams around major college football.
"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you, and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said, per Foster. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"
The Brady 6 drive the four-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Allen likely won't experience the same wait as Brady—a sixth-round pick—did on draft day, but he views himself as having been slighted because he wasn't considered a top quarterback coming out of high school.
His competitive nature extends to the field, where coaches have to take him out of the game when he shows any sign of injury.
"If he's limping or something, come game time he just seems to forget," said Alex Gutierrez—Allen's high school baseball coach and quarterbacks coach, per Foster. "He just loves to compete, and that's something that I wouldn't want anyone to take away from him in any way, because that's what makes him who he is."
Allen's competitiveness helped drive Wyoming's success after it won only 15 games during the previous four seasons. In 2016, the Cowboys bested a then-nationally ranked Boise State and even beat the San Diego State Aztecs in regular-season play before falling to them in the Mountain West Championship Game.
Whether it's football, baseball or basketball, Allen wants the ball in his hands.
It's now official- Cal loves Allen more than Po loves Hogan..... Please Cal- just start a Camp Allen thread- you can love on him all you want to there....
-
Don't go on a double date with him cal. He'll be the only one with a bust.

Now that the word is out- I have Allen #4 on my list behind- in no particular order: Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield.
-
rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the
qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post
articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen
fathead poster.
-
rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the
qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post
articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen
fathead poster.
rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the
qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post
articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen
fathead poster.
I'd guess that calfox is roughly 12 years old by the tone of his posts, but that can't be true.
That would have made him an embryo when he was waxing poetic about the hall of famer that was Charlie Frye.
-
fake news. go give rosie great big smoochies for all I care - but I just don't see him having the personality, toughness, emotional makeup and character to inspire a team, etc etc. Neither do some experts. Have a nice day.
-
rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the
qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post
articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen
fathead poster.
rosen love is in more threads than I keep responding with allen. I just think Allen is the
qb you draft to have a great future qb. We will see how it all goes, eh? And I just post
articles about him, I didn't write them. Sorry, but everybody doesn't want to hump your rosen
fathead poster.
Waaahhhhaaahhhh you can't tell when I'm yanking your chain? Rosen love? Not really from the rest of us. That's only because YOU have put in what? Around 100 posts already repeating everything ad nauseum YOU don't like about him, and there's been counter arguments that you're off base. FWIW, there hasn't been a ton of chatter about Darnold yet- because a certain poster isn't spewing constantly how much he doesn't like him .
@boo-fagley said:
Great article and on the money.
All these QBS need development. Drafting a QB who is going to come in and save the franchise day 1 is a myth. The Watson and Russell Wilson's are rare situtions. Look at Wilson now. He is struggling without a defense to bail him out. His flaws are on full display.
Drafting Rosen and throwing him to the wolves his first season would be a mistake.
No one is saying toss any of the QBs we draft high out there day one Boo. I'd say the consensus right now is get a guy like Alex Smith and sit the rookie for most of the year.
-
consider these scouting reports on a sure to be a bust college qb:
“I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn’t have great ability to change the release of the football. He’s mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better.”
And another:
“The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They’re too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don’t know if they become good pro players. I think ************* is in that same mold.”
And the best all.
“I don’t like him. He’s a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don’t think he’s as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year.”
*************************************
Know who that qb was at the time? Anybody?
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/aaron-rodgers-2005-nfl-draft-scouting-reports
consider these scouting reports on a sure to be a bust college qb:
“I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn’t have great ability to change the release of the football. He’s mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better.”
And another:
“The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They’re too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don’t know if they become good pro players. I think ************* is in that same mold.”
And the best all.
“I don’t like him. He’s a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don’t think he’s as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year.”
*************************************
Know who that qb was at the time? Anybody?
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/aaron-rodgers-2005-nfl-draft-scouting-reports
Sorry Cal- we're not sitting Allen 4 years so he can learn how to be an NFL level QB. I think it's safe to say that will never happen again.
-
-
-
-
@boo-fagley said:
Great article and on the money.
All these QBS need development. Drafting a QB who is going to come in and save the franchise day 1 is a myth. The Watson and Russell Wilson's are rare situtions. Look at Wilson now. He is struggling without a defense to bail him out. His flaws are on full display.
Drafting Rosen and throwing him to the wolves his first season would be a mistake.
Huh? Wilson should be the MVShmuckingP if there was any justice in the world.
That dude is the only reason the Hawks have been able to compete this year.
-
Ahh, I knew him from that stupid DawgTalkers (I was VetteDawg.......and I still have the vette).
Glad that the two kids are coming out this year. We should pick one of them, and acquire a starting veteran to let the one we pick can ripen on the vine for a year or two.
Wow, talk about a blast from your past- I had no idea...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
I occasionally venture over there. I spent too much time keeping the inmates in line over here.