Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Lady Bird review

Lady Bird review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
2 Posts 2 Posters 553 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Lady Bird
    Focus Features
    R.                     94 min
    I won’t spend a lot of time on this one  because it’s been out for a while, but I think it bears mention. A quick scan of some movie sites had this listed as one of the buzz films for Oscar nominations so I waited until it was on at some of the local theaters. Shout out to Alex at the Montrose movies. First of all I think I understand why some of the critics are falling all over themselves. Currently anything concerning women will usually be a hot topic and this is a female coming-of-age story set in 2003. Lady Bird is the pseudonym that Christine (Saoirse Ronan) a high school girl and aspiring writer from the poor side of Sacramento, has selected for herself. Money is tight for her mom ( Laurie Metcalf) and unemployed but affable father but she yearns for acceptance among the more well-to-do kids. Most of all she longs to be accepted into one of the more respected colleges on the East Coast but mom, possibly fearing the loss of her daughter, tries to discourage that ambition. Episodes of bonding with her friends, embarrassments and near misses with a couple romantic interests and eventual self-realization all combined to make up a pleasant if unspectacular tale, even if the autobiographical story of becomes a writer is  something of a cliché. Also one of the characters is gay, and there are a couple of possibly adopted Hispanic kids, and the critics and the academy seem to love that. I didn’t think it was great but I’m usually at least somewhat impressed if people can put out a decent product on a relatively small budget so I’ll split the difference.
    B-
    WSS
     

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      An overall B- is about right Steve.   I said elsewhere that the story was uninteresting..  (hell...I think dealing with my own teenage daughter was just as good as dealing with this girl's issues.)    I said B for the acting...and C for the story.   So, B- is right.  Perhaps even a bit generous.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply

      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

      Register Login
      Reply
      • Reply as topic
      Log in to reply
      • Oldest to Newest
      • Newest to Oldest
      • Most Votes


      Theme
      • System
      • Light
      • Dark
      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

      • First post
        Last post
      0
      • Forums
      • Recent
      • Popular
      • Users
      • Donate