Skip to content

Our QB situation

The Browns Board
41 15 1.2k 1
  • You're not old until you're running over people in the isles  of your local grocery store with your little handicapped cart.  I live near Sun City and make fun of those "old" people that try to run me down in there all the time. Good thing I'm still racquetball quick to get out of their way. LOL!😁

  • but Tex is still 20 years older than me...I even beat him at racquetball before I got my new knee. I took his pic

    just before the ball hit him in the nose.

    56183089.jpg

  • ...will be a changin'.

    IF we were to get an Alex Smith.  Then we'll probably still take a QB #1  (or #4....however that works out).  Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.

    IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft.  Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future.  This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air.  A trade down becomes possibility #1.  Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet.  And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.  

    I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.  

    -------------

    It's my birthday today.  I'm officially old.  But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.  😛

    @orion said:

    ...will be a changin'.

    IF we were to get an Alex Smith.  Then we'll probably still take a QB #1  (or #4....however that works out).  Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.

    IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft.  Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future.  This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air.  A trade down becomes possibility #1.  Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet.  And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.  

    I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.  

    -------------

    It's my birthday today.  I'm officially old.  But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.  😛

  • but Tex is still 20 years older than me...I even beat him at racquetball before I got my new knee. I took his pic

    just before the ball hit him in the nose.

    56183089.jpg

    @calfoxwc said:

    but Tex is still 20 years older than me...I even beat him at racquetball before I got my new knee. I took his pic

    just before the ball hit him in the nose.

    56183089.jpg

    That guy has Alzheimer's so bad he's on the wrong court for racquetball.😆

  • ...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......

  • ...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......

    @orion said:

    ...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......

    Sure:  1964:

    The Boston Strangler was active.

    Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time

    Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize

    The Warren Report was released

    The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed

    Meet the Beatles was released.   The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time

    Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.

    The Ford Mustang is introduced

    A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska

    Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.

    The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced

    Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY

    Johnson defeats Goldwater

    The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series

    The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship

  • ...will be a changin'.

    IF we were to get an Alex Smith.  Then we'll probably still take a QB #1  (or #4....however that works out).  Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.

    IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft.  Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future.  This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air.  A trade down becomes possibility #1.  Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet.  And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.  

    I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.  

    -------------

    It's my birthday today.  I'm officially old.  But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.  😛

    @orion said:

    IF we were to get an Alex Smith.  Then we'll probably still take a QB #1  (or #4....however that works out).  Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.

    IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft.  Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future.  This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air.  A trade down becomes possibility #1.  Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet.  And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.  

    I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.  

    -------------

    It's my birthday today.  I'm officially old.  But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.  😛

    First, Happy Birthday, O... reminds me that i owe you a magazine.

    Second, that's been my QB take as well. McCarron? I think you have to go the same route as Smith and draft as if AJ is not your long-term solution.

    The real QB wild card may be Hogan, who Dorsey drafted at KC... of course he also had to cut him at KC.

  • @orion said:

    IF we were to get an Alex Smith.  Then we'll probably still take a QB #1  (or #4....however that works out).  Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.

    IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft.  Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future.  This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air.  A trade down becomes possibility #1.  Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet.  And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.  

    I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.  

    -------------

    It's my birthday today.  I'm officially old.  But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.  😛

    First, Happy Birthday, O... reminds me that i owe you a magazine.

    Second, that's been my QB take as well. McCarron? I think you have to go the same route as Smith and draft as if AJ is not your long-term solution.

    The real QB wild card may be Hogan, who Dorsey drafted at KC... of course he also had to cut him at KC.

    @tour2ma said:

    The real QB wild card may be Hogan, who Dorsey drafted at KC... of course he also had to cut him at KC.

    OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!😛

  • @orion said:

    ...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......

    Sure:  1964:

    The Boston Strangler was active.

    Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time

    Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize

    The Warren Report was released

    The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed

    Meet the Beatles was released.   The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time

    Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.

    The Ford Mustang is introduced

    A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska

    Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.

    The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced

    Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY

    Johnson defeats Goldwater

    The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series

    The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship

    @the-gipper said:

    The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship

    I remember many of the things you mentioned..........except the friggin' championship game.  I got it on cassette tape and put it on a cd.  I listen to it every blue moon.

    @tour2ma said:

    Second, that's been my QB take as well. McCarron? I think you have to go the same route as Smith and draft as if AJ is not your long-term solution.

    I think that way only because I'm not his biggest fan....but they might just pass on the QB and draft supporting cast if AJ is tabbed.   (...don't worry 'bout the mag.  I've got the flag!)  

  • If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... If you truly want one of these guys, they will both be on the board @ #4. 

  • If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... If you truly want one of these guys, they will both be on the board @ #4. 

    @poeticg said:

    If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something..

    That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.  

  • Check out Mike White, QB from WKU. He will be a steal for some team in the 3rd or 4th round. 

  • If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... If you truly want one of these guys, they will both be on the board @ #4. 

    @poeticg said:

    Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... 

    🙄 Bang your head..Poe is here to drive you mad😛 next level is a roster'd QB with more than zero wins. Kizer has a full season of tape to watch Kizer. just may not know his teacher yet 

  • So, we're a couple of months away from the date that FA signings and trading can begin.   It is what happens in the hours, days and weeks after March 14th, 4:00pm EST that will shape our draft and tell us what we can 'anticipate or expect' to happen with our QB position (and other positions, of course).

    By and large, we lost all of our games because of our QB position.  Kizer is the goat.  (comes with being a 21 yr old rookie QB  -  and comes with the $$ - take the good with the bad DeSonne).  LOTS of rookie QB's have played like him.....and worse.  If Terry Bradshaw were to play as badly in TODAY'S NFL as he did back then, I don't know that he'd have gotten a third season (and maybe not a 2nd season, which was also pretty bad).

    For now, we speculate.....and build a solid FO and subordinate coaches.  But until we put a competent QB on the field, we will remain an incompetent football team.  I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    The real QB wild card may be Hogan, who Dorsey drafted at KC... of course he also had to cut him at KC.

    OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!😛

    @texasag1969 said:

    OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!😛

    Someone would want it?

    @poeticg said:

    If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold?

    @orion said:

    That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.  

    Exactly... "selling the future" takes a whole lot more conviction than spending a "mere" #1 overall. And somewhere between the two is turning down another team's future to make the pick.

    @orion said:

     I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.  

    Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).

  • @texasag1969 said:

    OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!😛

    Someone would want it?

    @poeticg said:

    If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold?

    @orion said:

    That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.  

    Exactly... "selling the future" takes a whole lot more conviction than spending a "mere" #1 overall. And somewhere between the two is turning down another team's future to make the pick.

    @orion said:

     I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.  

    Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).

    But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did.  Thus he's out of a job.

    When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK.  That's a theory.  BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!"  The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB.  And I wanted either Wentz or Goff.  When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz.  Great!   We're finally getting our QB.

    Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong.  And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game.  And we couldn't.

    Taking the QB was the smart play.  We needed one badly.  You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft.  But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.

  • I'm lukewarm on the idea of McCarron.. I just don't want to give up the farm for him...

  • @orion said:

    ...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......

    Sure:  1964:

    The Boston Strangler was active.

    Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time

    Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize

    The Warren Report was released

    The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed

    Meet the Beatles was released.   The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time

    Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.

    The Ford Mustang is introduced

    A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska

    Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.

    The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced

    Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY

    Johnson defeats Goldwater

    The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series

    The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship

    @the-gipper said:

    Sure:  1964:

    The Boston Strangler was active.

    Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time

    Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize

    The Warren Report was released

    The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed

    Meet the Beatles was released.   The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time

    Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.

    The Ford Mustang is introduced

    A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska

    Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.

    The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced

    Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY

    Johnson defeats Goldwater

    The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series

    The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship

    I remember all of that......except maybe the Buffalo wings thing which I don't think was readily known to the world yet.

  • I'm lukewarm on the idea of McCarron.. I just don't want to give up the farm for him...

    @nickers said:

    I'm lukewarm on the idea of McCarron.. I just don't want to give up the farm for him...

    If he's ruled an unrestricted free agent, all the Browns would give up for him is Jimmy's blood money.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).

    But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did.  Thus he's out of a job.

    When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK.  That's a theory.  BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!"  The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB.  And I wanted either Wentz or Goff.  When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz.  Great!   We're finally getting our QB.

    Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong.  And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game.  And we couldn't.

    Taking the QB was the smart play.  We needed one badly.  You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft.  But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.

    @orion said:

    1. But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did.  Thus he's out of a job.
    2. When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK.  That's a theory.  BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!"  The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB.  And I wanted either Wentz or Goff.  When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz.  Great!   We're finally getting our QB.
    3. Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong.  And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game.  And we couldn't.
    4. Taking the QB was the smart play.  We needed one badly.  You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft.  But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.
    1. I don't believe those were the determining factor. The botched McCarron deal, for which Sashi was lauded by most fans, was determinative... that plus Hue and the newly arrived Dorsey were in Jimmah's ear with the long knives out.
    2. I agree... Wentz is a top 20 QB.
    3. The FO was wrong. The purchase of a 2nd round pick by the same FO for $16mm was unprecedented.
    4. lol... of course a GM can be faulted... all you have to do is pick the wrong one of the two top QBs.